CIH Projector for My Boat - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 01-24-2020, 12:13 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
CIH Projector for My Boat

I've been reading this forum voraciously, and I think I'm close to a solution for my CIH needs.

My situation: I'm building a Home Theater system for my 40' catamaran sailboat, which of course has tight limitations.

Distance from projector lens to the screen is 8.5'. I need a CIH setup with 30" of screen height. The width of the blackout cloth screen will be 81 inches, so the limiter is the height which can't exceed 30". So I figure I might as well get the max size out of wide screen material.

As I understand the CIH subject, my ideal projector would send 2.39:1 content at 30"X70" for a 76" diagonal, then 16:9 content at 30"X54" for a 62" diagonal, 4:3 would be 30"X40" for a 49" diagonal.

My question is which projector can provide this 30" CIH image size from 8.5' away and adjust from 2.39:1 to 16:9 to 4:3 without changing the height of the image? Do I need to manually change the aspect ratio and/or zoom every time or can this be done automatically?

Oh yeah, I'm trying to stay under $3k for the projector, and a smaller form factor is desirable due to limited space.

Thanks for your advice on this.

Cheers,

Greg
www.sailawaykeywest.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 01-25-2020, 09:23 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Blackout cloth isn't the best screen material... head over to the DIY screen forum for better suggestions.

Myself, I use a 2:1 screen ratio and mask off the top and bottom of the image (16:9 ratio from JVC RS45). I use a PC for all my content, which is really nice. Setting up a custom desktop resolution fills the entire screen, and using MPC media player allows the source to automatically fill the screen as much as possible. 16:9 stuff sits right in the middle with bars on either side, and scoped stuff fits automatically to the sides with small bars on top and bottom. All other aspect ratios fit as large as they possibly can inside the screen.

No projector will change its aspect ratio (unless you want to try and buy a used Wolf Cinema projector, but they would be outside your budget unless you found a deal on eBay). You are better off with a short throw projecter and taking steps to zoom and mask the image on top and bottom, as I don't think any lenses would work with your throw ratio.
post #3 of 6 Old 01-25-2020, 09:27 AM

This simple calculator will tell you which projectors will work:

https://www.projectorcentral.com/pro...p5=1&oop=2#top

You are going to have a 92" diagonal screen, but mask the top and bottom.

Personally, I think you should consider your room size and new materials... you can probably make a bigger screen.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 01-25-2020, 09:29 AM

If you don't use a PC, you will have to use a different device, like a nice bluray player or something, to switch the source ratios.

Personally, if I were you, I'd do the 2:1 screen with a PC.
post #5 of 6 Old 01-25-2020, 10:08 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 29
There's a whole lot to unpack here. To give you the best advice, we're going to need to know a few more details.
  1. What type of content, and what sources?
  2. When/where do you plan on using this? Is it outside?
  3. What are the seating positions/Layout?
  4. Can you send some pictures to give us an idea of the space? Is this for Honu Kai?

On a side note, we love Key West. Head down there 4-6 weeks/yr. Never done a sail charter, we usually go in shore fishing, but will be down in August for some snorkel and lobster adventures.
post #6 of 6 Old 01-27-2020, 06:00 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
JB, this is for Grace. Honu Kai has a small TV screen already installed.

HTPC is an option, but we're trying to keep the footprint and power to a minimum. We have 110 AC most of the time, but we'd like to be able to show movies when we're out at anchor as well.

I've heard of 12v PCs on boats, so I'll look into that. I like the 2:1 idea as well.

Regarding the "room" the dimensions for the screen are set in stone. It will basically cover the cockpit door windows and can't extend beyond the door frame. It's not a perfect setup at all, but the screen will act as sun block for the room in addition to being the "screen." The projector will be mounted between the fans in the picture. We have blackout covers for all of those gorgeous windows, and this pic is taken from the cockpit. For this size space 60" diagonal for 16:9 material is plenty big. I really want the widescreen for movies, so I'll get all into the PC idea.

Thanks for all of the great input!

Cheers,

Greg
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Grace Saloon.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	90.0 KB
ID:	2676622  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply 2.35:1 Constant Image Height Chat