1Likes
  • 1 Post By jeahrens

post #1 of 3 Old 02-13-2020, 08:36 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Few Questions...

1 - As I understand it, unless you can swing an anamorphic lens, if you do CIH you're going to waste pixels getting the image to fit properly on a scope screen (correct me if I'm wrong). So... why aren't there any projectors that natively project in scope Vs. 16" x 9"? Seems like a wasted opportunity for projector manufacturers.

2 - For scope, I've seen 2.35 and 2.40:1... which one is better for CIH? Flip a coin, or are there reasons to choose one over the other?

3 - If you get a faux-k projector like the Epson 5050UB, do you need a 4k screen or would that be a waste (other than future proofing)? Could you get by with a "4k ready" screen?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 02-14-2020, 09:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2316 Post(s)
Liked: 1614
Quote:
Originally Posted by aPlateOfGrapes View Post
1 - As I understand it, unless you can swing an anamorphic lens, if you do CIH you're going to waste pixels getting the image to fit properly on a scope screen (correct me if I'm wrong). So... why aren't there any projectors that natively project in scope Vs. 16" x 9"? Seems like a wasted opportunity for projector manufacturers.
Not really Blu Ray and UHD Blu Ray are not mastered anamorphically. So an average UHD scope movie of 3840x1600 will have that resolution whether it's letterboxed to fit a 16:9 screen or filling a scope screen. Anamorphic lens does require that the projector or image processor scale the scope image to entire panel (thus increasing the resolution to that of the panel), but it's not creating any additional detail.

Scope panels would be nice, but projector manufacturers have to deal with the economics of scale. So they are largely at the mercy of what TV and commercial cinema mass produces.

Quote:
2 - For scope, I've seen 2.35 and 2.40:1... which one is better for CIH? Flip a coin, or are there reasons to choose one over the other?
The difference is a few inches. Buy whichever you can source easiest and for the best price.

Quote:
3 - If you get a faux-k projector like the Epson 5050UB, do you need a 4k screen or would that be a waste (other than future proofing)? Could you get by with a "4k ready" screen?
Really no such thing as a 4K screen. Screens just need a fine enough texture to not distort the smaller pixel detail of the 4K image.
Josh Z likes this.

post #3 of 3 Old 02-14-2020, 09:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2254 Post(s)
Liked: 1180
Question 1; Most likely the same reason there are no 2.4:1 TV sets or very few. It is not so much with projection especially now with 4k about lost pixels it is more about lost brightness. Scope movies are zoomed larger so the lamps light is spread out over a greater area and then the lamps light is not being used in the areas of the black bars. With HDR this light is needed more than ever within the image, so an A-lens makes use of all the pixels and ups the overall brightness. If your screen size is small enough to be in the correct range of brightness then 4k resolution is perfectly fine using the zoom method for most people and there is a big savings and simplicity to zooming. They made scope projectors and they were only wanted by a small number of people and the cost was very high and they never caught on.

Question 2; There were movies shot in all the scope ARs but most people still call it 2.35 even though now it is 2.39 mostly. And 2.40 is a common screen AR

Question 3; With 4k and even faux-k screens and optics have to be up to the task. Most quality screens manufactures have prided themselves on making super smooth, flat, consistent screens for a long time. Sometimes 4k is slapped on for marketing IMO.

Bud
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply 2.35:1 Constant Image Height Chat

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page