1Likes
  • 1 Post By daveg25

post #1 of 9 Old 02-21-2020, 01:37 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1
2.35:1 Build HELP

Hi, hopefully I'm in the right thread. I'm out of my depth here and despite research, still a little confused... I would like to purchase a 2.35:1 screen by Silver Ticket and the BenQ HT2050A projector. I don't mind manually adjusting the zoom whenever aspect ratio changes, but will I be able to project a 2.35:1 image from projector to screen and can I maintain CIH, drawing curtains in when necessary, for other aspect ratios? Are there any issues I am unaware of? It's not clear to me whether I need to buy an anamorphic lens to project 2.35:1. Also, how would this setup handle 2.4:1 or wider aspect ratios? Happy to answer any other questions and thank you for any help! I'd like to learn as much as possible, but have no experience with projection.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 02-21-2020, 03:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 126 Post(s)
Quoted: 2440 Post(s)
Liked: 1300
@daveg25 welcome to the forum.

The BenQ HT2050A is a nice projector and is a great value, but won’t be a good projector to do the CIH with zoom method. Along with zooming you will also need to adjust vertical offset and also focus. The HT2050A has several drawbacks to doing this as I believe it doesn’t have enough zoom travel or enough vertical offset to go between the two sizes needed. It also is a shorter throw projector and I’m told they don’t work as well with an A-lens. The other drawback is you say you wont mind frequently making adjustments but it really gets old quick with a ceiling mounted projector.

I have a projector quite similar to the HT2050A and I do a variable size presentation method something similar to CIH. I solved the problem for myself with making a DIY ceiling mount that allows the projector to travel changing the throw distance (thus Zoom) and at the same time is inclined (thus Offset) what I then found is by selectively adjusting my focus I don’t need to re focus after moving the projector. I combined that with a DIY painted stealth screen wall, and that helps with minor misalignments do to movement.

Another method that can be used to do something like CIH and that is to process the signal thru some device or even a computer that scales the image.

Here is a calculator that will show you the zoom rates of the projector you are looking at.

https://www.projectorcentral.com/Ben...ro.htm?id_=100

Bud

Last edited by bud16415; 02-21-2020 at 03:07 PM.
post #3 of 9 Old 02-21-2020, 03:40 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Thank you so much for all this info! This is a huge help to me!
bud16415 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 02-28-2020, 09:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 871 Post(s)
Liked: 254
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveg25 View Post
Thank you so much for all this info! This is a huge help to me!
Many projectors only have 1.3x zoom range. What you need for zoom-method CIH is at least 1.35x to cover you at least between 16x9 and 2.4:1. As Bud said, you also have to account for shift and, to a lesser degree, focus. You would do better looking only at projectors with lens memory. You would be better off with a used/refurbished model than trying to manually do it with a newer model without the range or motorization.
post #5 of 9 Old 02-28-2020, 02:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 126 Post(s)
Quoted: 2440 Post(s)
Liked: 1300
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottAvery View Post
Many projectors only have 1.3x zoom range. What you need for zoom-method CIH is at least 1.35x to cover you at least between 16x9 and 2.4:1. As Bud said, you also have to account for shift and, to a lesser degree, focus. You would do better looking only at projectors with lens memory. You would be better off with a used/refurbished model than trying to manually do it with a newer model without the range or motorization.
I like to also say along with that explanation that even if you don’t have the zoom travel to do CIH many times you still have enough to do some variable sizing. Like CIA or doing something with all these 2.0:1 streaming shows.

Everyone is different in how they use a projector setup. I was a person that didn’t mind fiddling around with manual controls for 10 minutes to get something how I wanted it to watch. I know people that still table mount a projector low and now can do zoom, shift and focus but also move the projector some. Others are ok with scaling an image size within a larger frame with a computer or such. At one time or another I have tried everything except an A-lens.

If the OP isn’t one to fiddle around and wants to push a button and change ARs then yes he needs a high end projector with programmable moves.

Bud
post #6 of 9 Old 04-02-2020, 08:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 602 Post(s)
Liked: 192
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottAvery View Post
so if I'm doing my math correctly I would need a 1.80x zoom to get from 1.33 to 2.40 in the same height.

Last edited by b_scott; 04-02-2020 at 08:52 AM.
post #7 of 9 Old 04-02-2020, 09:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2413 Post(s)
Liked: 1694
Quote:
Originally Posted by b_scott View Post
so if I'm doing my math correctly I would need a 1.80x zoom to get from 1.33 to 2.40 in the same height.
1.33 will be in the width of the panel so you don't have to "zoom for it" (or anything else narrower than 16:9), which means the two settings you have to accommodate are 16:9 and 2.35:1. So, the information Scott gave on throw ratio is correct.

And I would strongly recommend a projector with lens memory rather than the DLP mentioned above. It makes changing ratios a breeze.

Last edited by jeahrens; 04-02-2020 at 09:19 AM.
post #8 of 9 Old 04-02-2020, 09:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 602 Post(s)
Liked: 192
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeahrens View Post
1.33 will be in the width of the panel so you don't have to "zoom for it" (or anything else narrower than 16:9). The information Scott gave is correct. And I would strongly recommend a projector with lens memory rather than the DLP mentioned above. It makes changing ratios a breeze.
Understood. So the Epson isn't DLP then, it's....... LCD?
post #9 of 9 Old 04-02-2020, 09:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2413 Post(s)
Liked: 1694
Quote:
Originally Posted by b_scott View Post
Understood. So the Epson isn't DLP then, it's....... LCD?
Epson's are a 3 LCD. A lot of their models do support lens memory. If you are curious what models do or don't have lens memory Art at ProjectorReviews.com is great at covering this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply 2.35:1 Constant Image Height Chat

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page