Finalizing projector choice and screen size - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4Likes
  • 1 Post By jeahrens
  • 1 Post By jeahrens
  • 2 Post By ScottAvery

post #1 of 18 Old 03-08-2020, 05:54 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Finalizing projector choice and screen size

I recently finished construction on my basement home theatre and am at the point now where I need to pick a PJ and settle on a screen size, and curious for some opinions on this.
The room is 14'6" x 23'7" with 9' ceiling trayed down to 8' at the perimeter. I will be using either a 2.35:1 or 2.4:1 CIH setup. Seating isn't in place of course but the plan is for the first row to be about 12-13' from the screen. Room can be totally blacked out.

This means I have the ceiling height and room width to go up to around 165" diagonal with floorstanding speakers, or as large as 185" with in-walls and a AT screen. I won't be using an anamorphic lens at the moment.

Will any of the sub-$4000 4k projectors be bright enough for even the 165" screen setup? Should I be looking at brighter 1080p projectors until 4k stuff becomes affordable? Or should I be compromising dramatically on screen size, and if so what is the largest screen I can get away with here at adequate brightness?

I'm familiar with the formulas for calculating necessary lumens at various screen sizes and gains, but do have one question on that - is the brightness needed assuming a 16:9 image or should I be adding 25% to the total lumens to account for zooming to 2:35? If my math is right I would need 1,637 lumens on a screen with a 1.2 gain, or do I need to add 25% to that to account for brightness lost zooming?

Open to any and all solutions to this puzzle!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 03-08-2020, 06:24 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyan View Post
I recently finished construction on my basement home theatre and am at the point now where I need to pick a PJ and settle on a screen size, and curious for some opinions on this.
The room is 14'6" x 23'7" with 9' ceiling trayed down to 8' at the perimeter. I will be using either a 2.35:1 or 2.4:1 CIH setup. Seating isn't in place of course but the plan is for the first row to be about 12-13' from the screen. Room can be totally blacked out.

This means I have the ceiling height and room width to go up to around 165" diagonal with floorstanding speakers, or as large as 185" with in-walls and a AT screen. I won't be using an anamorphic lens at the moment.

Will any of the sub-$4000 4k projectors be bright enough for even the 165" screen setup? Should I be looking at brighter 1080p projectors until 4k stuff becomes affordable? Or should I be compromising dramatically on screen size, and if so what is the largest screen I can get away with here at adequate brightness?

I'm familiar with the formulas for calculating necessary lumens at various screen sizes and gains, but do have one question on that - is the brightness needed assuming a 16:9 image or should I be adding 25% to the total lumens to account for zooming to 2:35? If my math is right I would need 1,637 lumens on a screen with a 1.2 gain, or do I need to add 25% to that to account for brightness lost zooming?

Open to any and all solutions to this puzzle!
I'd recommend looking at the jvc nx5 and sizing the screen to match, likely in the 120-130 range. I say this having gone with a much larger 200" screen but having to make many compromises in projection. I'm currently using a 13 year old 1080p dlp with commensurate black levels and contrast.
post #3 of 18 Old 03-08-2020, 06:27 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gil393 View Post
I'd recommend looking at the jvc nx5 and sizing the screen to match, likely in the 120-130 range. I say this having gone with a much larger 200" screen but having to make many compromises in projection. I'm currently using a 13 year old 1080p dlp with commensurate black levels and contrast.
Yikes. I was afraid that would be a common suggestion. Even at 130" that's just a 51" high screen, meaning I would need to move my first row seating up almost four feet, which would nearly put it in the doorway to the theatre. The back row seat occupants would have to forget about immersion entirely.

I am surprised to hear the NX5 doesn't put out enough light to accommodate at least 150" diag...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 Old 03-09-2020, 12:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2340 Post(s)
Liked: 1642
Quote:
Yikes. I was afraid that would be a common suggestion. Even at 130" that's just a 51" high screen, meaning I would need to move my first row seating up almost four feet, which would nearly put it in the doorway to the theatre. The back row seat occupants would have to forget about immersion entirely.

I am surprised to hear the NX5 doesn't put out enough light to accommodate at least 150" diag...
The NX and RSxxx lineup share the same bulb and therefore basically the same lumen output. I've seen RS5xx projectors pushing a 150" scope screen without a lens. It's the upper limit of what I would recommend. But it is doable. The dynamic tone mapping in the NX5 will help a lot here.

post #5 of 18 Old 03-09-2020, 01:53 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeahrens View Post
The NX and RSxxx lineup share the same bulb and therefore basically the same lumen output. I've seen RS5xx projectors pushing a 150" scope screen without a lens. It's the upper limit of what I would recommend. But it is doable. The dynamic tone mapping in the NX5 will help a lot here.

The JVCs have the brightest HDR/P3 color modes. Epson UB 6050/6040 have some brighter modes with out P3 color support.

If you can live without Lens Memory projectors like JVC LX-NZ3 have even more light but less contrast. It puts out something like 2500-3000 lumens without a dimming bulb to deal with. This 4k Lazer DLP while not high contrast can put the light out and go big in your price range.
post #6 of 18 Old 03-09-2020, 02:43 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks. After some further research I’m looking at the 6050 - nearly 1,100 lumens in cinema mode at P3 means I can get to almost 1,400 with a 1.3 gain screen which should be bright enough for me to use a 150” wide (162 diagonal) 2.4:1 screen I think.
post #7 of 18 Old 03-09-2020, 06:10 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Also there are super cheap refurb 6040/5040ubs you can buy from Epson that has most of the performance for less.
post #8 of 18 Old 03-10-2020, 08:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thanks. After some further research I’m looking at the 6050 - nearly 1,100 lumens in cinema mode at P3 means I can get to almost 1,400 with a 1.3 gain screen which should be bright enough for me to use a 150” wide (162 diagonal) 2.4:1 screen I think.
I would seriously consider an NX5 if you're looking at a 6050. Although it does lack the cinema filter of the Epson (you have to go to the NX7 to get the filter) it has much better contrast, optics, native 4K and dynamic tone mapping. It will hit about 1600 lumens in high bulb. It's well worth the 15% or so premium over the 6050.

post #9 of 18 Old 03-10-2020, 08:27 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 296 Post(s)
Liked: 141
My room is around 14'-6" wide by 20' deep with 8' ceilings. I've chosen the Silver Ticket 158" 2.35:1 and the Epson 5050UB. It's most you can get in that space without compromising light output or cash. The JVC's might work but will be dimmer and way WAY more expensive.
post #10 of 18 Old 03-10-2020, 08:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wookiegr View Post
My room is around 14'-6" wide by 20' deep with 8' ceilings. I've chosen the Silver Ticket 158" 2.35:1 and the Epson 5050UB. It's most you can get in that space without compromising light output or cash. The JVC's might work but will be dimmer and way WAY more expensive.
The NX5 streets for not much more than the 6050 does. The 5050 is good chunk less than both and is a great value. Calibrated in high bulb the JVC will hit the around same light output as the Epson calibrated in medium (which the majority use because of the noise in high). As far as WAY more, I can only say that street prices are far less than MSRP on the JVC lineup in the US. The 5050 will still have a price/value advantage, but if you are looking at the 6050 the dynamic tone mapping alone makes the NX5 the better option in most cases. That's without taking into account the other advantages it brings to the table.

post #11 of 18 Old 03-10-2020, 09:10 AM

Quote:
The NX5 streets for not much more than the 6050 does. The 5050 is good chunk less than both and is a great value. Calibrated in high bulb the JVC will hit the around same light output as the Epson calibrated in medium (which the majority use because of the noise in high). As far as WAY more, I can only say that street prices are far less than MSRP on the JVC lineup in the US. The 5050 will still have a price/value advantage, but if you are looking at the 6050 the dynamic tone mapping alone makes the NX5 the better option in most cases. That's without taking into account the other advantages it brings to the table.
I thought the NX5 lacks the lens memory needed to control aspect ratios.
post #12 of 18 Old 03-10-2020, 09:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wookiegr View Post
I thought the NX5 lacks the lens memory needed to control aspect ratios.
Nope. Not only does it support lens memory, but like the NX7/9 it can memorize custom masking for each installation mode. It can also utilize it's full 17:9 panel for aspect ratios wider than 1.90:1 for a decent bump in brightness.

The Sony entry level 4K is probably what you are thinking of. It lacks lens memory and an iris. Which in my opinion is pretty poor on a unit priced that high.
WarpedPixel likes this.

post #13 of 18 Old 03-10-2020, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Nope. Not only does it support lens memory, but like the NX7/9 it can memorize custom masking for each installation mode. It can also utilize it's full 17:9 panel for aspect ratios wider than 1.90:1 for a decent bump in brightness.

The Sony entry level 4K is probably what you are thinking of. It lacks lens memory and an iris. Which in my opinion is pretty poor on a unit priced that high.
That's good news then. I don't know why I thought that. Must be the coronavirus.
post #14 of 18 Old 03-16-2020, 06:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 42
I thought that the NX5 lacked motorized lens adjustment, where the Epson 5050/6050 had motorized lens adjustment and memory.

Grady
<<plain fan>>
post #15 of 18 Old 03-16-2020, 08:15 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 4937 Post(s)
Liked: 3922
Quote:
Originally Posted by plain fan View Post
I thought that the NX5 lacked motorized lens adjustment, where the Epson 5050/6050 had motorized lens adjustment and memory.
The JVC NX5 has motorized lens adjustment.

Josh Z
Television and Home Theater Writer/Editor, Primetimer.com

My opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers, whomever they may be.
post #16 of 18 Old 03-17-2020, 10:12 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies guys. Looks like, price being roughly the same, my choice is better PQ or more light. If I can determine that the JVC will put out enough (it may not) that would be the better choice. If not, I may try and grab a refurb Epson, or even step down to the 5050 to save some money.

I'm not sure with HDR that the NX5 will be bright enough...
post #17 of 18 Old 03-17-2020, 10:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thanks for the replies guys. Looks like, price being roughly the same, my choice is better PQ or more light. If I can determine that the JVC will put out enough (it may not) that would be the better choice. If not, I may try and grab a refurb Epson, or even step down to the 5050 to save some money.

I'm not sure with HDR that the NX5 will be bright enough...
Unless you are running uncalibrated or high bulb (very loud so most don't) on the Epson the JVC using high bulb will more or less equal the Epson in medium (noise is comparable too). DTM will be a big advantage brightness wise on the NX5 too as it will maximize each frame or scene.
Craig Peer likes this.

post #18 of 18 Old 03-17-2020, 06:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 855 Post(s)
Liked: 246
I had two LCD projectors before the upgrade to JVC. The visual impact of the improved contrast cannot be overstated. The first time a film fades to black after you have properly setup and calibrated in a dark room, you will crap your pants because you think your 5k projector just broke due to the complete darkness, but your purchase decision will be wholly validated.
Craig Peer and cyan like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply 2.35:1 Constant Image Height Chat

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page