Speaker location with AT scope screen & masking? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 8Likes
  • 1 Post By dschulz
  • 2 Post By Vern Dias
  • 3 Post By Josh Z
  • 2 Post By magi1500

post #1 of 14 Old 03-25-2020, 07:55 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 207 Post(s)
Liked: 200
Question Speaker location with AT scope screen & masking?

I wasn't sure where to put this question as it's includes a lot of things, but thought this might be the best place.

Those of you with AT scope screens that use curtains or other masking on the sides, do you have your speakers behind the screen located in the 16:9 position to keep them from being muffled by your masking?

Rumble & Frenzy - My Mini-Marty Build
Screaming Eagles - My Fusion-15 Sentinel Build
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 03-25-2020, 08:25 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Wondering the same. And for those with electric masking, you must have masking positions where the hard edge of the mask is in front of the speaker, any issues?

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk
post #3 of 14 Old 03-25-2020, 08:27 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Seymour AV has masking that's AT. Mine have been placed relatively wide either behind or partially behind their masking.

Tim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 Old 03-25-2020, 08:27 AM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Witchboard, I forgot to mention: masks on Seymour screens are made of AT fabric, that's why I only asked about the hard edge of the mask.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk
post #5 of 14 Old 03-25-2020, 09:23 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I would likely be using curtains for masking. Closed to protect the screen, and dual purpose to mask to 16:9 and fully open for 2.35:1. It would make a motorized masking system much simpler, but I know that curtains are typically heavy so wasn't sure how others have their speakers behind the scope screen.

post #6 of 14 Old 03-25-2020, 09:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Quoted: 2319 Post(s)
Liked: 1217
Most people I believe place them just inside the 16:9 area of the screen. If you watch a lot of old Academy 1.375:1 movies you might want to place them inboard of that or just leave your masking open for those movies.

Doing the zoom method there is no projector spill light to the sides so many people are fine without masking the sides.

Bud
post #7 of 14 Old 03-25-2020, 09:38 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 216 Post(s)
Liked: 125
The Hahn Theater puts them just inside the 16:9 area.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/92-co...n-theater.html
post #8 of 14 Old 03-25-2020, 09:55 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bud16415 View Post
Most people I believe place them just inside the 16:9 area of the screen. If you watch a lot of old Academy 1.375:1 movies you might want to place them inboard of that or just leave your masking open for those movies.

Doing the zoom method there is no projector spill light to the sides so many people are fine without masking the sides.
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bochoss View Post
The Hahn Theater puts them just inside the 16:9 area.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/92-co...n-theater.html
Well, that's one way to make me jealous. lol

post #9 of 14 Old 03-25-2020, 02:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 891 Post(s)
Liked: 638
Quote:
Originally Posted by Witchboard View Post
I wasn't sure where to put this question as it's includes a lot of things, but thought this might be the best place.

Those of you with AT scope screens that use curtains or other masking on the sides, do you have your speakers behind the screen located in the 16:9 position to keep them from being muffled by your masking?
I know the world is not ideal (not all masking is AT, and you have the framing to worry about) but FWIW, if at all possible I would place the LCR speakers for optimum listening angles based on the MLP, following the Dolby guidelines, and design the screen and masking around that. If the screen is large enough for all 3 to be behind the 16:9 area, then great, but I wouldn't want my L,R to be too close together (messing up the stereo imaging) just for the sake of getting them out from behind the masking.
Josh Z likes this.
post #10 of 14 Old 03-25-2020, 02:37 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dschulz View Post
I know the world is not ideal (not all masking is AT, and you have the framing to worry about) but FWIW, if at all possible I would place the LCR speakers for optimum listening angles based on the MLP, following the Dolby guidelines, and design the screen and masking around that. If the screen is large enough for all 3 to be behind the 16:9 area, then great, but I wouldn't want my L,R to be too close together (messing up the stereo imaging) just for the sake of getting them out from behind the masking.
I use the "golden triangle" rule for the left and right channel speakers to my MLP. I'm still in the planning stages of my projector upgrade and I'm trying to think of all the possible pitfalls ahead of time.

post #11 of 14 Old 03-26-2020, 07:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by bud16415 View Post
If you watch a lot of old Academy 1.375:1 movies you might want to place them inboard of that or just leave your masking open for those movies.

No reason to do this, as almost all old Academy 1.375:1 movies are sourced from a mono optical sound track which will only use the center speaker. The only exception that comes to mind would be Walt Disney's Fantasia (1939). Leave the masking at 1.85 for the very rare exceptions.

In commercial theatres using a constant height screen, the left and right speakers are positioned just inside the 1.85 masking position.
dschulz and Witchboard like this.

Last edited by Vern Dias; 03-26-2020 at 07:09 AM.
post #12 of 14 Old 03-26-2020, 10:21 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 4952 Post(s)
Liked: 3939
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vern Dias View Post
No reason to do this, as almost all old Academy 1.375:1 movies are sourced from a mono optical sound track which will only use the center speaker. The only exception that comes to mind would be Walt Disney's Fantasia (1939).
A handful of modern movies in recent years have adopted 4:3 or 1.37:1 aspect ratios for effect, but paired them with stereo or multi-channel soundtracks. Off the top of my head: Fish Tank, Meek's Cutoff, and First Cow. Even the musical score on The Artist was 5.1.

Some studios also have a habit of remixing classic movies into 5.1 for home video and not offering the original mono, such as The Wizard of Oz and Gone with the Wind.
dschulz, bud16415 and Witchboard like this.

Josh Z
Television and Home Theater Writer/Editor, Primetimer.com

My opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers, whomever they may be.
post #13 of 14 Old 03-26-2020, 10:59 AM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 36
I like this topic. About as geeky as CIH gets. :-)

I placed my LCR where they should be based on MLP so L&R are outside of 1.85 for me.

My Seymour Screen Excellence electronic masking is AT. I suppose that means that at 1.85 or narrower, my L&R are 1/2 db low or something because they've got the additional material in front of them. But I can't tell. I calibrated with the masking open and screen at 2.4. I'm anal enough to want the masking. But not quite anal enough to have to switch to a second audio setting when changing aspect ratios. :-)
dschulz and Craig Peer like this.
post #14 of 14 Old 03-26-2020, 11:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Quoted: 2319 Post(s)
Liked: 1217
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vern Dias View Post
No reason to do this, as almost all old Academy 1.375:1 movies are sourced from a mono optical sound track which will only use the center speaker. The only exception that comes to mind would be Walt Disney's Fantasia (1939). Leave the masking at 1.85 for the very rare exceptions.

In commercial theatres using a constant height screen, the left and right speakers are positioned just inside the 1.85 masking position.
I don’t have an AT screen and much of the time I run a phantom center as seated where I am I feel it is a better sound stage.

Josh hit the high points on the Academy exceptions.

Good point on the normally mono quality to Academy.

Bud
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply 2.35:1 Constant Image Height Chat

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page