Anamorphic lens and NX7/RS2000 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 7Likes
  • 1 Post By dschulz
  • 1 Post By Craig Peer
  • 1 Post By Azekecse
  • 1 Post By Azekecse
  • 3 Post By point1

post #1 of 7 Old 04-03-2020, 10:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 252 Post(s)
Liked: 130
Anamorphic lens and NX7/RS2000

Hello all,

just got my RS2000 and contemplating of putting up a false wall and an acoustic screen. It will move my throw from 17 feet to about 13.5 feet. Screen will be about 135" 2.4 to 1.

I know the JVC supports zoom and lens shift. What are the advantages of using anamorphic lens such as the Paladin?

Theater is fully light controlled and very dark walls, ceilings and floor.

TIA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 04-05-2020, 11:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 935 Post(s)
Liked: 677
Quote:
Originally Posted by point1 View Post
Hello all,

just got my RS2000 and contemplating of putting up a false wall and an acoustic screen. It will move my throw from 17 feet to about 13.5 feet. Screen will be about 135" 2.4 to 1.

I know the JVC supports zoom and lens shift. What are the advantages of using anamorphic lens such as the Paladin?

TIA
The advantages of adding an anamorphic lens are: 1) Increased light level on screen (as you'll be using all available pixels, rather than losing some to the letterbox bars) and 2) Increased pixel density, with an effective resolution in 'Scope of 5120 x 2160 instead of only 4096 x 1728

The disadvantages are: 1) cost and 2) possibly visible scaling artifacts from the image processing

If you have a light controlled room you may well get away with not using an anamorphic lens, and the usual advice here would be run for awhile using the zoom method - see if you can get to the light levels on screen you are targeting, and if you are happy with the resolution of the image for 'Scope movies.

That said - for me personally I like the increased pixel density, and as long as my budget permitted I would go for using an anamorphic lens.
LeeG23 likes this.
post #3 of 7 Old 04-08-2020, 08:21 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 149 Post(s)
Quoted: 7974 Post(s)
Liked: 10374
Quote:
Hello all,

TIA
I love my Paladin DCR lens. The increased light and pixel density is very noticeable. Check out some of my screen shots using the lens -

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/29-wh...l#post59068240

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/29-wh...l#post59441928

Make sure you wind up with at least 1.4 x the screen width for throw distance lens to screen.
Azekecse likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 04-14-2020, 02:22 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 250 Post(s)
Liked: 248
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Peer View Post
I love my Paladin DCR lens. The increased light and pixel density is very noticeable. Check out some of my screen shots using the lens -

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/29-wh...l#post59068240

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/29-wh...l#post59441928

Make sure you wind up with at least 1.4 x the screen width for throw distance lens to screen.
I concur with Craig, now that I have the DCR Lens, it's a game changer, if you have the right environment. Stay safe all, be well, and be kind.

Peace and blessings,

Azeke
Craig Peer likes this.

Marantz SR7011: 7.4.4 Martin Logan Edges (4: FR/FL/SR/SL) Martin Logan Axis (2: SBL/SBR) Martin Logan Stage X (Center) Martin Logan 1500X Sub (2) Martin Logan 1100X Sub (2) Sonance VP86R SST/SUR (4: Dolby Atmos) JVC NX-7/DaLite 125" 2:35:1 Scope Screen; Paladin DCR
post #5 of 7 Old 04-15-2020, 09:09 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 250 Post(s)
Liked: 248
Quote:
Hello all,

TIA
Remember you need a throw distance of at least 1.4 with the DCR. I believe your throw distance is ~ 1.2, therefore you would need to move the projector further back, to achieve the 1.4 minimal distance. Best upgrade I've done to my system, ever, NX7 and DCR combo. I hadn't been a ALens advocate before, but I am now, YMMV. Hope this helps. Be safe, be kind and stay well.

Peace and blessings,

Azeke
point1 likes this.

Marantz SR7011: 7.4.4 Martin Logan Edges (4: FR/FL/SR/SL) Martin Logan Axis (2: SBL/SBR) Martin Logan Stage X (Center) Martin Logan 1500X Sub (2) Martin Logan 1100X Sub (2) Sonance VP86R SST/SUR (4: Dolby Atmos) JVC NX-7/DaLite 125" 2:35:1 Scope Screen; Paladin DCR
post #6 of 7 Old 04-15-2020, 05:46 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 252 Post(s)
Liked: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azekecse View Post
Remember you need a throw distance of at least 1.4 with the DCR. I believe your throw distance is ~ 1.2, therefore you would need to move the projector further back, to achieve the 1.4 minimal distance. Best upgrade I've done to my system, ever, NX7 and DCR combo. I hadn't been a ALens advocate before, but I am now, YMMV. Hope this helps. Be safe, be kind and stay well.

Peace and blessings,

Azeke
thank you for the feedback! this was very helpful. I bought the DCR lens and I am also adding a lumagen processor.
llang269, Azekecse and Craig Peer like this.
post #7 of 7 Old 04-16-2020, 02:56 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 149 Post(s)
Quoted: 7974 Post(s)
Liked: 10374
Quote:
thank you for the feedback! this was very helpful. I bought the DCR lens and I am also adding a lumagen processor.
You are going to have a great picture when you are finished !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply 2.35:1 Constant Image Height Chat

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page