Please help choose new Projector for 2.35 to 1 theatre - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 04-17-2020, 08:10 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Please help choose new Projector for 2.35 to 1 theatre

Well time has run out on my Panasonic PT-AE3000EU A blue or red colored line runs down the left side screen when I watch movies now. Here lies my issue. My dedicated movie theatre a 7.1.4 Dolby Atmos setup with 4 chairs running across at approximately 11 feet away from a Carada screen. Here are the rest of the specs of my set up

1. Screen is an anamorphic ratio 2.35 to 1 .

2. Screen is 112 inches wide by 48 inches high approx. 122 inch diagonal size with a 3.5 inch black velvet border surrounding screen

3. Room is only 15 feet deep by 14 feet 4 inches wide

4. Current Panasonic projector can fill screen perfectly, its lens is exactly 14 5/8 inches from back wall with 2 3/8 inches of space for plugging in cables ( Would like 3 inches of space or more if possible). The projector is 12 3/8 inches deep.

5. This in other words, current Panasonic lens throws image at distance of 13 feet 9 3/8 inches from screen or 13.78125 feet away exactly

6. I watch mostly Blue Ray, soon to be 4K movies, Netflix and Prime.

7. For movies I only purchase 2.35 to 1 ratios but will watch streaming movies on Netflix or Prime

8. And my movie theatre is completely dark no ambient light.

Now this is what I am looking help for is some one who can recommend a few options for a new 4K projectors ( older models ok too if I can find it new still) that can do the following

1. Fill my 121 inch screen like my current projector does.

2. Has Lens Memory with at least 3 zoom memories I can store

3. Unit must be black not white

4. Price is important as live in Canada and our dollar fairly week right now and have to convince wife too would like to keep under $3000 USD MRSP if possible.

5.. Must be 4K but I know will probably not be a Native 4 K projector for my budget but would like picture to be close to Native 4 K quality

Not sure if such a beast actually exists as I can not find one and this is why I am asking for your help!!! Stay safe and hope to hear back soon.

Oil Country
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 04-17-2020, 08:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2413 Post(s)
Liked: 1694
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oil Country View Post
Well time has run out on my Panasonic PT-AE3000EU A blue or red colored line runs down the left side screen when I watch movies now. Here lies my issue. My dedicated movie theatre a 7.1.4 Dolby Atmos setup with 4 chairs running across at approximately 11 feet away from a Carada screen. Here are the rest of the specs of my set up

1. Screen is an anamorphic ratio 2.35 to 1 .

2. Screen is 112 inches wide by 48 inches high approx. 122 inch diagonal size with a 3.5 inch black velvet border surrounding screen

3. Room is only 15 feet deep by 14 feet 4 inches wide

4. Current Panasonic projector can fill screen perfectly, its lens is exactly 14 5/8 inches from back wall with 2 3/8 inches of space for plugging in cables ( Would like 3 inches of space or more if possible). The projector is 12 3/8 inches deep.

5. This in other words, current Panasonic lens throws image at distance of 13 feet 9 3/8 inches from screen or 13.78125 feet away exactly

6. I watch mostly Blue Ray, soon to be 4K movies, Netflix and Prime.

7. For movies I only purchase 2.35 to 1 ratios but will watch streaming movies on Netflix or Prime

8. And my movie theatre is completely dark no ambient light.

Now this is what I am looking help for is some one who can recommend a few options for a new 4K projectors ( older models ok too if I can find it new still) that can do the following

1. Fill my 121 inch screen like my current projector does.

2. Has Lens Memory with at least 3 zoom memories I can store

3. Unit must be black not white

4. Price is important as live in Canada and our dollar fairly week right now and have to convince wife too would like to keep under $3000 USD MRSP if possible.

5.. Must be 4K but I know will probably not be a Native 4 K projector for my budget but would like picture to be close to Native 4 K quality

Not sure if such a beast actually exists as I can not find one and this is why I am asking for your help!!! Stay safe and hope to hear back soon.

Oil Country
Under $3k new is easy, Epson 5050UB.

Used you can find a JVC RS520/540/420/440 that will be a step up from the Epson in that price range. Both have lens memory. Both will support 4K HDR. The JVC will have much better contrast and optics, but it will be used. The RS5xx models have a wide color filter and higher contrast than the RS4xx models.

post #3 of 6 Old 04-17-2020, 10:39 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeahrens View Post
Under $3k new is easy, Epson 5050UB.

Used you can find a JVC RS520/540/420/440 that will be a step up from the Epson in that price range. Both have lens memory. Both will support 4K HDR. The JVC will have much better contrast and optics, but it will be used. The RS5xx models have a wide color filter and higher contrast than the RS4xx models.
Thanks for reply, yes been looking at Epson, can you get a 5050UB in Black? And and what would be your choice for JVC if you were to pick up a used one? And is there one that really stands out as to what one to look for second hand or refurbished?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 04-17-2020, 11:18 AM - Thread Starter

Just curious if somebody could run the projector calculator on those JVC projectors recommended as when I run it not sure if this will work as my throw distance for Panasonic is 13 ft 9 inches right now. But JVC is 18.5 inches deep plus extra 3 inches I would need to plug cables in back so would put front of JVC lens at 13 feet 2 inches I figure. But for sake of calculation lets say throw distance would be 13 feet at the best.

Is it possible to project with any of those JVC projectors to fill a 2.35 to 1 screen at 13 feet throw distance to a 122 inch diagonal screen. I am not sure if I am interpreting this data properly??? And if not what would I be seeing on my screen? Would the image not fit screen completely?

Thanks in advance for explanation
post #5 of 6 Old 04-18-2020, 11:07 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 36
112 inches wide X 1.3 (min JVC throw) = 12 free and lets say 2 inches.

If lens to screen is 13 feet you should be fine with the a projector at has a 1.3 min throw.

The Epson ub and JVC projectors mostly have a 1.3 - 2.8 throw ratio. Check a given model for exact specs and assume -+ 5% and you should be fine.
post #6 of 6 Old 04-18-2020, 11:29 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 149 Post(s)
Quoted: 7974 Post(s)
Liked: 10374
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oil Country View Post
Thanks for reply, yes been looking at Epson, can you get a 5050UB in Black? And and what would be your choice for JVC if you were to pick up a used one? And is there one that really stands out as to what one to look for second hand or refurbished?
Nope - only the 6050UB comes in black.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply 2.35:1 Constant Image Height Chat

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page