Prismasonic variable stretch anamorphic lens - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Vern Dias

post #1 of 9 Old 04-29-2020, 03:55 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Prismasonic variable stretch anamorphic lens

Check out this Prismasonic anamorphic lens that an incredibly kind stranger gave me. It has a motorized stretch built-in:

It's so cool. It comes with this remote which lets you leave it in place. Press pass and light passes through unstretched. Press stretch and the screen gets wider and stops when 16:9 becomes 2.40:1.

It has a built-in stand too, so if you shelf mount your projector like me, then no extra hardware is needed to start using it.

I'm not sure if this is an intended official feature but if you take your finger off the stretch button early, you can achieve other aspect ratios like Netflix's fav 2:1. I just need to figure out a convenient way to add other vertical stretch modes on my projector...

It's a shame the optics aren't as good as my Panamorph compression lens because the design and build quality is awesome. It solves one of my biggest issues with anamorphic lenses - i.e. that there is a lot more than just two aspect ratios used in movies and TV shows. The motorized variable stretch solved that. At least it would if I had separate 1.85:1, 2:1, 2.35:1 and 2.4:1 stretch modes on my projector. It works for 4k projectors like Sony and JVCs which need 1.25x stretch instead of 1.33x too.

It's also nice to not need to spend extra on a motorized sled. It's a much better low cost solution than Panamorph's "just leave it in place and use 4:3 for 16:9 content" imo. I like new toy!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 05-06-2020, 10:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Adjustable anamorphic lenses are not new. This lens, was released by Panavision in the early 50's.

Some additional light reading for anyone who might be interested:

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Panavision-Super-Panatar-Anamorphotic.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	19.5 KB
ID:	2722160  

Last edited by Vern Dias; 05-06-2020 at 12:59 PM.
post #3 of 9 Old 05-11-2020, 11:03 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 8050 Post(s)
Liked: 10611
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyimporter View Post
Check out this Prismasonic anamorphic lens that an incredibly kind stranger gave me. It has a motorized stretch built-in:

It's so cool. It comes with this remote which lets you leave it in place. Press pass and light passes through unstretched. Press stretch and the screen gets wider and stops when 16:9 becomes 2.40:1.

It has a built-in stand too, so if you shelf mount your projector like me, then no extra hardware is needed to start using it.

I'm not sure if this is an intended official feature but if you take your finger off the stretch button early, you can achieve other aspect ratios like Netflix's fav 2:1. I just need to figure out a convenient way to add other vertical stretch modes on my projector...

It's a shame the optics aren't as good as my Panamorph compression lens because the design and build quality is awesome. It solves one of my biggest issues with anamorphic lenses - i.e. that there is a lot more than just two aspect ratios used in movies and TV shows. The motorized variable stretch solved that. At least it would if I had separate 1.85:1, 2:1, 2.35:1 and 2.4:1 stretch modes on my projector. It works for 4k projectors like Sony and JVCs which need 1.25x stretch instead of 1.33x too.

It's also nice to not need to spend extra on a motorized sled. It's a much better low cost solution than Panamorph's "just leave it in place and use 4:3 for 16:9 content" imo. I like new toy!
I had a Prismasonic lens back when I had an Optoma H79. It was a pretty good lens. Not as good as my current Panamorph DCR lens. Speaking of which, if yours is shelf mounted and you don't like leaving it in place for 16:9, why not just rig up a way to remove it for 16:9? Mine is shelf mounted and that's what I do, since it only takes a moment to remove mine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 05-17-2020, 10:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Peer View Post
Speaking of which, if yours is shelf mounted and you don't like leaving it in place for 16:9, why not just rig up a way to remove it for 16:9? Mine is shelf mounted and that's what I do, since it only takes a moment to remove mine.
No reason to remove it, that's why the variable anamorphic lens was invented. (Just set it to 0 horizontal expansion).
post #5 of 9 Old 05-17-2020, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vern Dias View Post
No reason to remove it, that's why the variable anamorphic lens was invented. (Just set it to 0 horizontal expansion).
The DCR lens I have is a vertical compression lens - not horizontal expansion. The picture needs to be re-scaled for 16:9.
post #6 of 9 Old 05-17-2020, 03:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
The DCR lens I have is a vertical compression lens - not horizontal expansion. The picture needs to be re-scaled for 16:9.
Sorry, taking about the lens in the original post.
Craig Peer likes this.
post #7 of 9 Old 06-21-2020, 10:08 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
I had a Prismasonic lens back when I had an Optoma H79. It was a pretty good lens. Not as good as my current Panamorph DCR lens. Speaking of which, if yours is shelf mounted and you don't like leaving it in place for 16:9, why not just rig up a way to remove it for 16:9? Mine is shelf mounted and that's what I do, since it only takes a moment to remove mine.
And what is the sense of removing Prisma for 16:9? ... THX
post #8 of 9 Old 06-21-2020, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J A Gonzalez View Post
And what is the sense of removing Prisma for 16:9? ... THX
No re-scaling needed.
post #9 of 9 Old 06-21-2020, 10:40 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Do you mean that i dont need to change anamorph mode in proyector? pardon iam very newbi in this thinks...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply 2.35:1 Constant Image Height Chat

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page