Need help plz understanding A-lens in my setup - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By tnaik4

post #1 of 5 Old 05-08-2020, 08:05 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 593 Post(s)
Liked: 373
Guys i m thinking of getting an A-lens, but if someone can explain to me or tell me if i m mistaken about my thinking plz.

my screen now is 135inch 16:9 and usually what i do when watching 2.35:1 movies is let MadVR shift the while image down and i ll mask the double black bars on top, with that solution i m getting arouns 65nits on screen with my JVC.
Yesterday i was reading a lot about A-lens and thought id give it a try even without the lens just to see what i need to do, so i kept the masking system in place and now i have a 2.35:1 screen , same size i use to watch my movies, than i zoomed the projector to fit a 16:9 image, that gave me a huge brightness boost from 65nits to around 104nits, so basically I went from 135inch 16:9 to 103inch 16:9 with black bars on the sides.
I put a movie on and had 2 black bars top and left, i let my JVC do the anamorphic A strech which strech the image vertically to fill those bars.
Now if i have the A-lens i would put it in place and have 2.35:1 with same size as with my zooming method but with a lot more brightnes/pixel fill with some small artifact from scaling ??
Am i correct ?

For me going from 60nits to 100nits is big, i use JVC only for movies so i dont really care about 16:9 on it , i have another projector for that.

I dont know how i didnt think of this before, since with 100nits on screen i can close the iris more for SDR to get even better contrast .

Thank you

JVC DLA X590/RS440 / BenQ LK970
madVR HTPC with 1080ti / Lumagen radiance pro 4242
Arendal 1723 LCR Monitors / M&K S150 Surrounds in 5.1.4 atmos setup / Yamaha AX2050 AVR / MiniDSP88BM audio processor/ beta3 6 channels Amp .

Last edited by tnaik4; 05-08-2020 at 08:10 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 05-08-2020, 08:47 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 5198 Post(s)
Liked: 4259
There are two types of anamorphic lens: horizontal expansion and vertical compression. They both accomplish the same goal of converting a 16:9 image to scope, but use different methods to do so. They both allow you to use all of the projector's light output within the scope image, wasting none on letterbox bars.

Josh Z
Television and Home Theater Writer/Editor, Primetimer.com

My opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers, whomever they may be.
post #3 of 5 Old 05-08-2020, 01:32 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post
There are two types of anamorphic lens: horizontal expansion and vertical compression. They both accomplish the same goal of converting a 16:9 image to scope, but use different methods to do so. They both allow you to use all of the projector's light output within the scope image, wasting none on letterbox bars.
thank you for the reply, i m eyeing a Panamorph UV200 cause i found a good deal for it, i was really surprised about the light difference , all this time i was wasting so much light , i didnt even see yet how it ll look when it used all the resolution, my throw is more than the recommended 1.4 width distance , so i should be good.

Arendal 1723 LCR Monitors / M&K S150 Surrounds in 5.1.4 atmos setup / Yamaha AX2050 AVR / MiniDSP88BM audio processor/ beta3 6 channels Amp .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 05-08-2020, 01:56 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 5198 Post(s)
Liked: 4259
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnaik4 View Post
thank you for the reply, i m eyeing a Panamorph UV200 cause i found a good deal for it, i was really surprised about the light difference , all this time i was wasting so much light , i didnt even see yet how it ll look when it used all the resolution, my throw is more than the recommended 1.4 width distance , so i should be good.
If you have a 4k projector, older Panamorph lenses may not pass 4k detail. You need one of the current Paladin models for that.

Josh Z
Television and Home Theater Writer/Editor, Primetimer.com

My opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers, whomever they may be.
post #5 of 5 Old 05-08-2020, 01:59 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

newer models are very expensive , plus i m using it with e-shift JVC and one of the old high end 1080p DLP LED projectors ,getting the uv200 for less than 300$ so its great to try it out and get a feal of A-lenses , maybe in the future will get a newer high end one .
Craig Peer likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply 2.35:1 Constant Image Height Chat

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page