post #31 of 38 Old 06-04-2020, 08:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vern Dias View Post
I remember it being a long walk from the back of the auditorium to the front. I'd say at least 6X, possibly 7X.
A good friend of mine sent me a scale diagram. It looks to be 175' from the screen to the last row of seats in the auditorium. Screen height was approximately 22'. So it looks like 8X screen height.

Vern

Last edited by Vern Dias; 06-04-2020 at 08:20 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 38 Old 06-05-2020, 09:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 2482 Post(s)
Liked: 1339
Quote:
A good friend of mine sent me a scale diagram. It looks to be 175' from the screen to the last row of seats in the auditorium. Screen height was approximately 22'. So it looks like 8X screen height.

Vern
Wow! Any idea what the front row was?

Bud
post #33 of 38 Old 06-05-2020, 09:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bud16415 View Post
Wow! Any idea what the front row was?
'bout 20' or so.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 38 Old 06-06-2020, 05:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
'bout 20' or so.
Thanks Vern.

So in your example like mine to a large extent Academy theaters had a huge range of immersion available to the viewer. In your case 1X to 8X screen height and in my case depending on where on the depth of the stage it came down most likely 1X to at least 6X screen height.

It is kind of logical that many would like to sit around 1/3 of the way back as a prime seating location.

The opportunity was always there for greater immersion though and maybe not suggested by the producer or director if they even cared or thought about it at the time, but surely the opportunity was provided by the theater.

In my case the theater was built by Warner Brothers so I would assume they put some thought into the seating arrangement beyond how to pack 2500 people into a movie theater. I have been in the theater when filled to capacity but never for a movie. That must have really been something.

Bud
post #35 of 38 Old 06-06-2020, 08:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bud16415 View Post
Thanks Vern.

So in your example like mine to a large extent Academy theaters had a huge range of immersion available to the viewer. In your case 1X to 8X screen height and in my case depending on where on the depth of the stage it came down most likely 1X to at least 6X screen height.

It is kind of logical that many would like to sit around 1/3 of the way back as a prime seating location.

The opportunity was always there for greater immersion though and maybe not suggested by the producer or director if they even cared or thought about it at the time, but surely the opportunity was provided by the theater.

In my case the theater was built by Warner Brothers so I would assume they put some thought into the seating arrangement beyond how to pack 2500 people into a movie theater. I have been in the theater when filled to capacity but never for a movie. That must have really been something.
Back in the 1960's when my Dad was managing the Waikiki, it was normal to sell out both evening shows on Friday and Saturday nights.
Preshow theatre organ concerts were the norm on weekends as well.

Fortunately, the outside area where the fountain was could easily hold close to a thousand people standing and ready for the lobby outside doors to open. Up to four door persons were at the doors to take tickets.

At that time in Hawaii, multiplexes were non-existent, multiple opening week bookings were non-existent, and there were very few first run theatres.

It was a very different world from today's multiplex environment, one where showmanship was paramount in the presentation of movies.

Something I sadly miss....
post #36 of 38 Old 06-06-2020, 03:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Back in the 1960's when my Dad was managing the Waikiki, it was normal to sell out both evening shows on Friday and Saturday nights.
Preshow theatre organ concerts were the norm on weekends as well.

Fortunately, the outside area where the fountain was could easily hold close to a thousand people standing and ready for the lobby outside doors to open. Up to four door persons were at the doors to take tickets.

At that time in Hawaii, multiplexes were non-existent, multiple opening week bookings were non-existent, and there were very few first run theatres.

It was a very different world from today's multiplex environment, one where showmanship was paramount in the presentation of movies.

Something I sadly miss....
Our Warner was much the same it still has I believe 8 or so entry points 4 on each level and even more ways to exit thru back halls some even taking you outside. They used to watch those exits close as kid would try and let a friend in. The full 2500 people could be housed outside the theater in the grand hall or the wide ornate walking areas outside the theater.

The building itself was as much of a thrill as the movies. I came after the organ player but my parents used to talk about the organ. It also had a giant elevator lift to bring the orchestra up or to disappear.

The last few years they have been doing these concerts where our orchestra plays movie soundtrack live while the movie plays just above them. The first they did was Casablanca and that was amazing and the movie had a premier in the same theater in 1942. Last year they did ET and that was also amazing. It is just a treat to see a movie in there again even without the live sound.

Presentation is a thing of the past as are manners in a public theater. I seldom go anymore it is just normally a let down.

Bud
post #37 of 38 Old 07-08-2020, 09:45 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Liked: 150
Bumping this month old thread. Thank you Vern for fascinating cinematic exhibition history.

And Bud you catch a lot of crap here for continuing to question 2.35 CIH dogma in a forum specially set aside for its promotion, but mixed in with all the (really predictable, by this point) stating and restating of various arguments by the usual participants, there's enough new info supplied that I actually learn a lot by continuing to follow along.

So I say keep at it folks: nobody's getting hurt, and the only collateral damage is to ignorance and narrow mindedness. Better home theater experiences will result. Nothing bad about that.
post #38 of 38 Old 07-08-2020, 10:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NxNW View Post
Bumping this month old thread. Thank you Vern for fascinating cinematic exhibition history.

And Bud you catch a lot of crap here for continuing to question 2.35 CIH dogma in a forum specially set aside for its promotion, but mixed in with all the (really predictable, by this point) stating and restating of various arguments by the usual participants, there's enough new info supplied that I actually learn a lot by continuing to follow along.

So I say keep at it folks: nobody's getting hurt, and the only collateral damage is to ignorance and narrow mindedness. Better home theater experiences will result. Nothing bad about that.
Thanks for getting the point of it all.

The odd part is I’m a fan of CIH motion picture presentation. It is IMO 100 times more satisfying than CIW and modern projectors allow for more than just size they allow for this method of presentation.

The film industry was pretty static for 50 years regarding working within a CIH framework with just a few films going off the beaten path. My assertion is over the last few years media is coming at us from all different directions and transforming from film to digital opens it up even more. Films have even been entirely shot with an iPhone. There is no longer the need for filmmakers to shoot with A-lens and theaters then correct with other A-lens. Filmmakers now don’t have to abruptly splice movies together and there is a mixture of real and green screen work so seamless no one knows what is real. Anything is possible and I’m just suggesting everyone takes some time to think about presentation of all this new stuff and still respect the old.

Some people seem to think if it doesn’t have IMAX stamped on the movie it can’t expand away from scope or flat. Da 5 Bloods was a recent attempt at wowing us with AR play and parts of the movie were scope and then got taller, I don’t know what it was, I just know it never got outside the 16:9 canister.

It might sound like I’m catching crap here but deep down I know we are all like Da 5 Bloods.

Bud
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply 2.35:1 Constant Image Height Chat

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page