JVC + Zoom + which Screen? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 06-07-2020, 07:08 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 12
JVC + Zoom + which Screen?

I am finishing out our media room, I've never done 2.35:1 with previous projectors because I could never pull the trigger on a lens. I'm planning on replacing a 1080p JVC with a new JVC NX5 and looking to do 2.35:1 with a SI screen.

Room is 15x18 oriented lengthwise with no windows, with dark matte paint so it can be totally light controlled. This will be 75% movies and 25% TV, most of the times in total darkness but likely sometimes with the wall sconces on dimmed during TV viewing.

Current plan is the JVC NX5 + a 133" Zero Edge or 140" Zero Edge Pro with either the pure gray .85 or slate 1.2. The projector throw distance will be about 13.5 feet from lens to screen. Basically right over the main seating area so that will be the most used viewing distance too.

Will it throw enough light for 140" @ 2.35:1 using zoom?
Is the Slate 1.2 the best bet give the zoom and associated loss of light output?
Should I ditch SI and get a Silver Ticket screen with NX7?

Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 06-08-2020, 08:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 100 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2443 Post(s)
Liked: 1723
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigZAJ View Post
I am finishing out our media room, I've never done 2.35:1 with previous projectors because I could never pull the trigger on a lens. I'm planning on replacing a 1080p JVC with a new JVC NX5 and looking to do 2.35:1 with a SI screen.

Room is 15x18 oriented lengthwise with no windows, with dark matte paint so it can be totally light controlled. This will be 75% movies and 25% TV, most of the times in total darkness but likely sometimes with the wall sconces on dimmed during TV viewing.

Current plan is the JVC NX5 + a 133" Zero Edge or 140" Zero Edge Pro with either the pure gray .85 or slate 1.2. The projector throw distance will be about 13.5 feet from lens to screen. Basically right over the main seating area so that will be the most used viewing distance too.

Is the Slate 1.2 the best bet give the zoom and associated loss of light output?

Thanks in advance!
I use the NX7 with a 130" 2.35:1 1.0 gain screen. I would not get the negative gain screen (so the slate 1.2) and I would likely opt for the 133" screen if you can sit between 8.5-13' (if you like sitting in the middle of a commercial cinema I would suggest around 9' from the screen to your seating). If you have to sit further back then you may want to consider the 140". The reasoning behind the smaller screen is you will be able to better manage brightness as the bulb ages. You will not really have a problem lighting up either with the 17:9 panel found in the current JVCs when new but over time the smaller screen will retain more pop longer. I don't have experience with either screen manufacturer, so you'll need to do some research on one vs. the other.

post #3 of 4 Old 06-16-2020, 06:32 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Thanks for this, I think I am going to do the 133 to ensure I don't have issues with light / zoom.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 06-24-2020, 11:10 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 315 Post(s)
Liked: 412
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigZAJ View Post

Thanks in advance!
Have you considered Stewart ST130 G4? It is an actual 1.3 gain (most manufacturer gain numbers are stated higher than what actual tests show) which will aid the brightness for HDR material, or allow use of the JVC low lamp setting before bulb ages (high power is a lot louder). And the image quality is reference grade. The prices came down significantly this year, worth getting a dealer quote on.

Having owned several Silver Ticket screens over the years, and knowing you will have the superb JVC NX7, I would not recommend the Silver Ticket unless your budget leaves no choice. The image quality of the Stewart is on a whole other level and allows all of the IQ of the JVC to be displayed.

Ross

SOURCE: multi-region Oppo BDP-103D & BDP-83

Last edited by rossandwendy; 06-25-2020 at 11:40 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply 2.35:1 Constant Image Height Chat

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page