Insight for my Epson 5040UB projector setup! - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By dschulz
  • 1 Post By bud16415

post #1 of 7 Old 06-13-2020, 07:23 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Insight for my Epson 5040UB projector setup!

Moving into my new house in 16 days and cant wait to setup my new Epson 5040UB projector and create a somewhat budget friendly movie-style setup in the basement! I've attached a picture to show you what I am working with. The projector will be ceiling mounted (Ceilings are just under 9" tall). I have lots of Bluray and 4K movies, but also will use it for everyday TV watching as well (mix of 720 and 1080p content - mostly 1080p).

Obviously I will know more once I can actually get into the house and test setups and throw distances, but main things I was hoping for any pre-advice on:

1 - To fill a 150" screen, what distance back approximately will projector be?
(Has 2.1 digital zoom and lens shift to adjust somewhat)

2 - Thoughts on this screen?
https://www.silverticketproducts.com...eLm5uB-jAxY0no

3 - The green walls will definitely be going, but the basement will be a grey color when finished. Per the picture, should I paint the area around the screen (marked in black) to a black color to help w/ image? Paint recommendations?

4 - The ceiling will be finished but that won't be the first year or possibly even 2. Should I line the ceiling with black velvet or something? Possibly a pull curtain from the left side that pulls backwards to kind of close it in? (I will be blacking out the basement windows).

Any other recommendations are super appreciated. I am very new so I'll take all advice! I have a 5.1 surround sound system I will be installing with this as well so just want it to look the best it can without not being able to afford my mortgage, ha! Thanks so much - just started in this forum but you guys have been great!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Basement.PNG.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	170.7 KB
ID:	2741474  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 06-13-2020, 05:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 2482 Post(s)
Liked: 1339
Looks like you have a nice area to work with.

Just curious why you posted in the CIH forum and are thinking of a very large 16:9 screen setup. Normally most here doing CIH constant image height go with a scope screen 2.4:1 aspect ratio.

Some of us do a CIH+IMAX presentation method or some form of variable presentation based around CIH and then we would use a large 16:9 screen and mask it different ways depending on the presentation method we would use.

If you are just planning a huge CIW setup constant image width presentation you will likely get a lot more help in the projector forum or the screen forum.

Bud
post #3 of 7 Old 06-14-2020, 08:46 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bud16415 View Post
Looks like you have a nice area to work with.

Just curious why you posted in the CIH forum and are thinking of a very large 16:9 screen setup. Normally most here doing CIH constant image height go with a scope screen 2.4:1 aspect ratio.

Some of us do a CIH+IMAX presentation method or some form of variable presentation based around CIH and then we would use a large 16:9 screen and mask it different ways depending on the presentation method we would use.

If you are just planning a huge CIW setup constant image width presentation you will likely get a lot more help in the projector forum or the screen forum.
Ok, good point. Sorry, super new to this forum. Should have researched the categories a little smarter. Thanks so much for your help I will re-post in a better location. Thanks bud16415
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 06-14-2020, 02:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVenthusiastNoob View Post
Ok, good point. Sorry, super new to this forum. Should have researched the categories a little smarter. Thanks so much for your help I will re-post in a better location. Thanks bud16415
If you are new to front projection and are interested in it being more than a big TV, then you are probably in the right place.

The thing projectors can do that TV can’t is it can change size. Some people simply want everything as big as it can possible be and as my friend JoshZ always says do you want to watch Wheel of Fortune larger and more immersive than Star Wars. That’s what happens when you show everything as big as it can be on a 16:9 screen.

There are thousands of scope 2.40:1 movies and a growing number of IMAX movies like Aquaman or Dunkirks that are excellent to watch very immersive and we would say you need a screen large enough to do that. Regular TV most of the time doesn’t get better viewing it super immersive in fact because it is designed to be seen on TVs it is filmed a little different and it will seem too immersive that huge.

So all the people in this forum adjust the image size one way or the other.

If you want to learn more about presentation this is the right place.

Bud
post #5 of 7 Old 06-15-2020, 04:29 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bud16415 View Post
The thing projectors can do that TV can’t is it can change size. Some people simply want everything as big as it can possible be and as my friend JoshZ always says do you want to watch Wheel of Fortune larger and more immersive than Star Wars. That’s what happens when you show everything as big as it can be on a 16:9 screen.
Can you elaborate on this a little more?

I plan on buying the Silver Ticket screen and I am someone who also just loves everything as big as can be, but I want to make sure no matter what I am watching (TV Shows of high and low quality, movies from UHD 4X Remux all the way down to 720p movies) I can have it properly fill the full screen. I have the Epson 5040UB which has some pretty great features you can do with the image. Any screen advice is appreciated!
post #6 of 7 Old 06-15-2020, 08:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 955 Post(s)
Liked: 691
Quote:

I plan on buying the Silver Ticket screen and I am someone who also just loves everything as big as can be, but I want to make sure no matter what I am watching (TV Shows of high and low quality, movies from UHD 4X Remux all the way down to 720p movies) I can have it properly fill the full screen. I have the Epson 5040UB which has some pretty great features you can do with the image. Any screen advice is appreciated!
Movies come primarily in two shapes - Flat and Scope - essentially TV shaped and widescreen: . When you watch widescreen (Scope) movies on a TV, they are letterboxed with black bars on the top and bottom.

One option you have when using a projector and screen is to buy a screen that is Scope in shape, instead of Flat. That way widescreen movies fill the full screen. Flat movies would have black bars on the sides. Another option is to buy a screen that is Flat in shape (same shape as a TV screen), but then widescreen movies are letterboxed.

Constant Image Height (the subforum we're in right now) refers to having a Scope screen, so that all movies are the same height - black bars appear on the sides (and, ideally, would be hidden with masking). Constant Image Width refers to having a Flat screen, so that all movies are the same width, with black bars appearing on the top and bottom (again, ideally hidden with masking).

Lots of debate around which is the best way to go. The basic breakdown is if you prioritize watching movies, a Scope screen is ideal, because the majority of big-ticket, epic movies are Scope, and that system also respects the intent of the filmmakers, which is for Scope films to feel *big* - giant sweeping images. On the other hand, if you prioritize watching TV, maybe sports, or playing video games, then a Flat screen will perhaps be more suitable.

A great breakdown (and the article I stole the images from) can be found here: https://www.primetimer.com/features/...tv-shows-today
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2020-06-15 at 7.54.36 AM.png
Views:	70
Size:	2.42 MB
ID:	2742714  
AVenthusiastNoob likes this.
post #7 of 7 Old 06-15-2020, 09:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

The projector you have has a wide array of features and to use it just as CIW projecting everything to its largest size would in some ways be a waste of the abilities of the projector and on the other hand if that is what you truly like there is nothing wrong with doing that.

As to your previous question for a 150” screen the projector will need to be between 15’ and 30’ approximately. The closer distance will use a wider amount of the lens and produce a brighter image. It would be about 30% brighter one extreme to the other.

If you are going with CIW presentation then placement can be anyplace in that range and you use zoom to fit the image to the screen once and forget it.

I would use the programmable Zoom, Shift and Focus and its 10 presets to give myself different size/immersion of images.

What you have to understand there is screen size and immersion and they are two different things. A 120” screen sitting 10’ away will have the same immersion as a 240” screen sitting 20’ away. The experience will not be exactly the same but in total darkness it will be quite similar. We do compute raw size to some extent with our brain and it has to do with a lot of factors, but for the most part the reason for a huge screen is to have it viewed by a larger number of people at once. IMO the larger the screen the larger and more theater like the sound system need to be. Big screens deserve big sound.

Also keep in mind in the example above doubling the screen size from 120 to 240 will require 4 times the brightness from the projector because the screen area is 4 times larger.

Instead of giving you my thoughts here on presentation as they differ from a lot of people here I will link a thread I started. Others can give you their ideas on the subject if they care to post.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/117-2...h-ciw-cia.html
AVenthusiastNoob likes this.

Bud
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply 2.35:1 Constant Image Height Chat

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page