Will content availability making 2.35:1 obsolete? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Run&Gun

post #1 of 6 Old Yesterday, 08:26 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Will content availability making 2.35:1 obsolete?

I was about to make a 2.35:1 screen purchase (it will be primarily for movies). But then it occured to me that content is beginning to trend away from this ratio and more toward 16x9, evidenced by netflix, vudu and hulu as streaming providers moving in this direction, compounded by the rumored eventual elimination or severe reduction of physical media availability.

Thoughts? TIA.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old Yesterday, 10:15 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Actually a lot of Netflix original series and even a lot of broadcast/cable dramatic series, now, are being done 2:1(16:9 is 1.77:1).

Physical media, or lack there of, shouldn’t really have any bearing on aspect ratio of the content. Heck, I had letterboxed content on VHS.
Josh Z likes this.
post #3 of 6 Old Yesterday, 10:23 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I worry about this to, but I still went with a 2.35:1 screen. But really thats about all the height I can get anyway so I'm not sure if it was just 16:9 I could go much bigger.

I sit about 10-12 feet away from a 141" 2.35:1 screen. I have a 10-12' stage and I'm in a 8 ft basement. There is a soffit in the front to a column so that lowers that ceiling by about 12 inches.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old Yesterday, 10:52 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 5302 Post(s)
Liked: 4390
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbeeBekind View Post
But then it occured to me that content is beginning to trend away from this ratio and more toward 16x9, evidenced by netflix, vudu and hulu as streaming providers moving in this direction,
That's not at all correct. The following thread has a list of almost 400 TV shows (growing daily) with aspect ratios wider than 16:9. Streaming platforms like Netflix and Hulu are leading that trend.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/117-2...ct-ratios.html

And that doesn't account for one-off original movies and other specials, which also frequently use wider ratios.

Josh Z
Television and Home Theater Writer/Editor, Primetimer.com

My opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers, whomever they may be.
post #5 of 6 Old Yesterday, 01:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 2465 Post(s)
Liked: 1327
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post
That's not at all correct. The following thread has a list of almost 400 TV shows (growing daily) with aspect ratios wider than 16:9. Streaming platforms like Netflix and Hulu are leading that trend.

And that doesn't account for one-off original movies and other specials, which also frequently use wider ratios.
It is virtually imposable for a TV show to be wider than 16:9 because of the very nature of TV shows are being made to be played on TV and TV is 16:9.

When Netflix or other make a TV show say 2.0:1 that they are doing a lot these days they understand 99.99% of the people that view it will view it shorter than 16:9 not wider.

It therefore is their intent it is shorter than normal TV. For them to make a TV show and assume the end user was going to not only have a projector but also a setup to do CIH scope presentation would be absurd. Such a small percentage of homes have projectors and of them even a smaller percentage do CIH 2.4:1 presentation.

We have no control over what Hollywood does or what Netflix does. The only thing we really know is TV is 16:9, BluRay is 16:9, most projectors are 16:9 and the widest format is Scope and IMAX and the tallest is IMAX and that would be 16:9 on media.

If you want to future proof and be inclusive of everything you need an IMAX immersion screen that is 16:9. Of course that wont be a real IMAX screen unless your media room is 80’ high. Just so the OP understands immersion takes into account seating distance.

Bud
post #6 of 6 Old Yesterday, 11:38 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by bud16415 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post

It is virtually imposable for a TV show to be wider than 16:9 because of the very nature of TV shows are being made to be played on TV and TV is 16:9.

When Netflix or other make a TV show say 2.0:1 that they are doing a lot these days they understand 99.99% of the people that view it will view it shorter than 16:9 not wider.

It therefore is their intent it is shorter than normal TV. For them to make a TV show and assume the end user was going to not only have a projector but also a setup to do CIH scope presentation would be absurd. Such a small percentage of homes have projectors and of them even a smaller percentage do CIH 2.4:1 presentation.

We have no control over what Hollywood does or what Netflix does. The only thing we really know is TV is 16:9, BluRay is 16:9, most projectors are 16:9 and the widest format is Scope and IMAX and the tallest is IMAX and that would be 16:9 on media.

If you want to future proof and be inclusive of everything you need an IMAX immersion screen that is 16:9. Of course that wont be a real IMAX screen unless your media room is 80’️ high. Just so the OP understands immersion takes into account seating distance. [IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/smile.gif[/IMG]
Thanks. This makes sense. So sounds like 16x9 is the ticket as I have ceiling height.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply 2.35:1 Constant Image Height Chat

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page