Ideas On Mounting a 65" LG OLED TV - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 5Likes
  • 1 Post By genesplitter
  • 1 Post By Mamasboy
  • 1 Post By lax01
  • 1 Post By Mamasboy
  • 1 Post By Mamasboy

post #1 of 10 Old 07-06-2018, 10:15 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 192 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Ideas On Mounting a 65" LG OLED TV

I think I found the right place to post this (if not, please point in the right direction)

We just bought a new house. It has a huge finished basement and I want to mount a new 50LB LG 65 inch TV. The problem is, the perfect spot has an entry to a crawl space area. I am looking for ideas on how to make it work.

Below are photos

My first idea was to find a mount that that would go under the entry and then shift the TV up but not sure such a mount exists, and I am thinking I don't want to see the mount when the TV is in the up position (where it will be all the time). You can kind of see that the previous owner has all the surround sound speaker connections on that wall so it is almost good to go if I can figure out the TV.

I have a 60 inch Pioneer Elite PRO-151FD Plasma which weighs 135 lbs, that is mounted solidly in place in current home, but much too heavy to be on a hinged mount....I think. The plan was to keep using the Plasma because the picture is still as good as it gets for 2k HDTV. However, now I think it maybe a good time to move to a lighter 4k OLED TV.

I could do a projection room but the wife does not approve, and there is a bar and will be a pool table behind the seating area so best to keep it open.

I attached photo that almost matches my situation.

Anyway, open to any and all ideas..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	basement.png
Views:	126
Size:	514.3 KB
ID:	2425198   Click image for larger version

Name:	teator (1).jpg
Views:	115
Size:	38.9 KB
ID:	2425200   Click image for larger version

Name:	Home theater.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	138.2 KB
ID:	2425202  

I feel infinite

Last edited by Mamasboy; 07-06-2018 at 10:27 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 07-06-2018, 06:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 639 Post(s)
Liked: 413
Since you posted here, I'm going to assume you have the 2018 model...though, I don't think it matters. I believe the mounting points (both are VESA 300x200) are the same...and they are at the bottom of the TV so you should easily clear the crawl space area (do you need to go in there often)? The LG mount is great - https://www.lg.com/us/tv-audio-video...ies/lg-OTW420B (don't know if they are releasing a 2018 specific model) - though it does require that your studs between exactly 18" (I believe that was the measurement - please confirm before buying) apart as there is no horizontal variability for studs

You will also need two people to mount the TV...

Josh
post #3 of 10 Old 07-06-2018, 08:55 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lax01 View Post
Since you posted here, I'm going to assume you have the 2018 model...though, I don't think it matters. I believe the mounting points (both are VESA 300x200) are the same...and they are at the bottom of the TV so you should easily clear the crawl space area (do you need to go in there often)? The LG mount is great - https://www.lg.com/us/tv-audio-video...ies/lg-OTW420B (don't know if they are releasing a 2018 specific model) - though it does require that your studs between exactly 18" (I believe that was the measurement - please confirm before buying) apart as there is no horizontal variability for studs

You will also need two people to mount the TV...
I don't think I'll need to get in there much at all but when I do I'll need to have the option without taking the TV down. Will this LG mount allow me to move the TV up about a foot and down as needed? I would like the TV to cover about half the crawl space door and then be able to shift it down a foot or so I can open that door and climb in (fun). The LG mount photos seem like it does not offer much movement. Hard to tell.

Not sure the location of the studs below the crawl space door or if they are 18 inches or 24... Haven't closed so don't have easy access to the house. I bought a Cheetah brand mount on Amazon for my 32 inch TV in our sunroom. Super high quality, however, looking at their mounts for heavier tvs it looks like the only offer in and out and tilting side to side movement. No up or down.

I have a 3 foot high cabinet that holds the AVR and DVR among other things and I suppose I could put the TV on a stand, however, I would prefer a wall mount.

Also, I could put it in the corner maybe, but that would not be ideal. Definitely not above the fireplace, I looked at a lot of homes while looking to buy and the way the design open floor plan rooms now-a-days, one wall is knocked out, the other has windows and the other has a fireplace, so the TV goes above it. I hate the look of the tv above the fireplace and don't want to tilt my head way back while sitting and watching.

I feel infinite
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 07-07-2018, 01:39 AM

Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mamasboy View Post
I hate the look of the tv above the fireplace and don't want to tilt my head way back while sitting and watching.
It's possible to mount a tv up high, but pull it down low when watching. Here is a manual pull-down mount but if your willing to spend more money there are motorized versions too:

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=27773

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	27773_06.gif
Views:	673
Size:	4.61 MB
ID:	2425352  

U-Turn Orbit Plus turntable, Marantz SR-7009 AVR, iNuke 6000DSP, DIY LinkwitzLab speakers, MartyCube + JohnnySub, BenQ W1070, Roku stick, Plex

Last edited by genesplitter; 07-07-2018 at 01:43 AM.
post #5 of 10 Old 07-07-2018, 07:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 184 Post(s)
Quoted: 5223 Post(s)
Liked: 7563
Quote:
Originally Posted by genesplitter View Post
It's possible to mount a tv up high, but pull it down low when watching. Here is a manual pull-down mount but if your willing to spend more money there are motorized versions too:

Spoiler!
At first I thought those were a brilliant idea, but there's a massive flaw. I wouldn't dare to watch the TV with the fire on, for fear of damaging the TV with the heat from the fire.

So, for the whole of the winter, you can either sit in the warm, OR you can watch your TV but you're freezing cold. But never both at the same time!

HDMI 2.0 4K modes | Dolby & DTS core+outer audio tracks on (UHD) Blu-Rays | Hello to Jason Isaacs

Last edited by mrtickleuk; 07-07-2018 at 07:59 AM.
post #6 of 10 Old 07-07-2018, 09:05 AM

Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrtickleuk View Post
At first I thought those were a brilliant idea, but there's a massive flaw. I wouldn't dare to watch the TV with the fire on, for fear of damaging the TV with the heat from the fire.

So, for the whole of the winter, you can either sit in the warm, OR you can watch your TV but you're freezing cold. But never both at the same time!
Your right about not using the fireplace and watching tv at the same time. The fancy motorized versions include a temperature sensor to put the tv back up when it senses heat. I'll point out that a fireplace is about the most inefficient way one could possibly heat a room. We have a fireplace but only used it a couple times, during the Christmas breaks only, since buying our house.
mrtickleuk likes this.

U-Turn Orbit Plus turntable, Marantz SR-7009 AVR, iNuke 6000DSP, DIY LinkwitzLab speakers, MartyCube + JohnnySub, BenQ W1070, Roku stick, Plex
post #7 of 10 Old 07-07-2018, 09:32 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=27773

Spoiler!

I would never put a TV above a fireplace, to me it looks cheesy. I feel a some nice artwork above the fireplace is best. But if you go to Zillow and look at home for sale listings, it is quite popular - probably because there are not many other options for TV location because the one wall where a TV could be placed is where the sofa would go. I really hate the open floor plan trend.

My basement has plenty of wall space, unfortunately the perfect wall spot has has a crawl space door. Why they did not put it in a far corner rather than the middle of a wall i'll never know. Which gets me thinking that maybe I just remove this opening and put it in a different location. Not sure if feasible because I don't have access to the home to take a quick look at what it would take. But throw money at a problem and one can solve most issues in life.

I am wondering if the motorized mount would work upside down? So it the watch position it is in front of the crawl space opening and when I need to get in the crawl space I motor it down below the door? Will investigate this but don't see why this would not work.

Quote:
Your right about not using the fireplace and watching tv at the same time. The fancy motorized versions include a temperature sensor to put the tv back up when it senses heat. I'll point out that a fireplace is about the most inefficient way one could possibly heat a room. We have a fireplace but only used it a couple times, during the Christmas breaks only, since buying our house.
I generally agree with the heating with fireplace comment, however the fireplaces in this house are the type that close up tight and have fans that blow heat into the room and are efficient room heaters.
mrtickleuk likes this.

I feel infinite
post #8 of 10 Old 07-07-2018, 11:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 639 Post(s)
Liked: 413
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mamasboy View Post
I don't think I'll need to get in there much at all but when I do I'll need to have the option without taking the TV down. Will this LG mount allow me to move the TV up about a foot and down as needed? I would like the TV to cover about half the crawl space door and then be able to shift it down a foot or so I can open that door and climb in (fun). The LG mount photos seem like it does not offer much movement. Hard to tell.

Not sure the location of the studs below the crawl space door or if they are 18 inches or 24... Haven't closed so don't have easy access to the house. I bought a Cheetah brand mount on Amazon for my 32 inch TV in our sunroom. Super high quality, however, looking at their mounts for heavier tvs it looks like the only offer in and out and tilting side to side movement. No up or down.

I have a 3 foot high cabinet that holds the AVR and DVR among other things and I suppose I could put the TV on a stand, however, I would prefer a wall mount.

Also, I could put it in the corner maybe, but that would not be ideal. Definitely not above the fireplace, I looked at a lot of homes while looking to buy and the way the design open floor plan rooms now-a-days, one wall is knocked out, the other has windows and the other has a fireplace, so the TV goes above it. I hate the look of the tv above the fireplace and don't want to tilt my head way back while sitting and watching.
The LG mount does not provide a lot of range for movement (either forward and back, or up and down...or tilt) - I would not suggest the mount if you really want to move the TV around...but if you want to cover half the crawl space, it seems like the TV would be mounted too high (for me). If you provide measurements of the wall and how far up the wall the crawl space is, that would make this easier than judging based on the picture.

So for example, my 65B7A is mounted like this in my apartment:

I did not want the TV mount that high as our couch is pretty low and I didn't want to get neck strain - I almost wish I did it a little bit lower so I had less gap to the center channel.

My TV Stand (Ikea Besta) is also not 3 feet high like yours...its a little over a foot as it sits (to give you an understanding on perspective). I guess it also depends if you are planning to do a full setup with 5.1+ speakers...
Mamasboy likes this.

Josh
post #9 of 10 Old 07-07-2018, 11:58 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lax01 View Post
The LG mount does not provide a lot of range for movement (either forward and back, or up and down...or tilt) - I would not suggest the mount if you really want to move the TV around...but if you want to cover half the crawl space, it seems like the TV would be mounted too high (for me). If you provide measurements of the wall and how far up the wall the crawl space is, that would make this easier than judging based on the picture.

So for example, my 65B7A is mounted like this in my apartment:
Spoiler!

I did not want the TV mount that high as our couch is pretty low and I didn't want to get neck strain - I almost wish I did it a little bit lower so I had less gap to the center channel.

My TV Stand (Ikea Besta) is also not 3 feet high like yours...its a little over a foot as it sits (to give you an understanding on perspective). I guess it also depends if you are planning to do a full setup with 5.1+ speakers...
In the image, I put a red box where the TV would be, it would cover about half the crawl space door in my estimated perfect height. The fireplace up down mount would work if they if I could use the mount upside down. But the problem is when the TV is in position it would be 16" to 18" off the wall which is unnecessary since I will not need to clear a fireplace mantle. I really need a mount that simply allows my to move the tv up and down.

So I am now thinking the best option is to bring in a guy to put the crawl space opening off to the side and then dry wall over the current opening. I could have him put some nice support 2 x 4s or plywood behind the drywall to drill into to hang whatever bracket I buy. I'll need to get back in the house to take a peek inside the crawl space to make sure this is doable.

This would also allow me to keep my 135 lb 60 plasma giving me a few more years to upgrade to OLED. We have enough expenses coming up with painting, flooring, and installing granite countertops without me upgrading the TV also.
truejahmal likes this.

I feel infinite
post #10 of 10 Old 07-07-2018, 12:04 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

On a side note, I think I mounted my current TV maybe 6 inches to high. When we first got it both my wife and I had sore muscles at the back of our neck from slightly tilting head looking up. We have since built up those neck muscles so it is not an issue anymore.
mrtickleuk likes this.

I feel infinite
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Game Room Equipment & Accessories

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page