Air hockey table repair - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 01-04-2019, 05:37 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Air hockey table repair

Weird question but I thought maybe the expertise here might be able to help me out. Long story short but I just got a new air hockey table that came with a few dents / holes in the particleboard playing surface, but I can’t return it or get a new top from the company. I basically cut out the dents and patched them like I might a drywall hole (using a spare piece of particle board for the patch) , and frankly, it came out decently well. I sanded it down and painted w high gloss paint, and drilled a matching grid of holes to let air through. My issue is that even with the gloss paint, those parts of the surface are just not as slick as the rest of the table, so what can I do to get it really slick so the puck doesn’t slow down. My plan right now is minmax polyurethane flooring finish... but i imagine maybe there’s something better? Maybe the finish followed by more sanding and then some cabinetry wax or shuffleboard silicon spray or both? Any thoughts highly appreciated!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 07-03-2019, 11:20 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Are you working on the clear coat over color or the color coat?
Making the finish flat and polishing should be two separate functions.
Brushing on a nitro lacquer finish will not help, spraying is a better choice.
To get it flat I would start with a random orbit sander and a good quality no clog paper like 3M free cut gold maybe 120 grit.
put on a coat, sand it and take down the high spots and repeat until it is perfectly flat.
then start going up to the progressive finer grits.
If you want a satin finish the lines that 600 grit makes will do it reasonably well but you need to go in straight lines relative to the case parts.
If you want high gloss I would continue with random orbit sander until about 1000 or even 1200 and then go to rubbing out with rubbing and polishing compounds.
You need a rigid backing on your sander if you want to get the finish flat thats why I suggest random orbit. It also helps to have a vacuum attachment for your sander to help reduce build up of dust nubs.
Another option try to sell your current air hockey and manage to buy a new one, at least you may check here if it seems more acceptable for you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Game Room Equipment & Accessories

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page