BEWARE Bill Ramsey Auctions!! - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 04-01-2019, 02:30 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 43
BEWARE Bill Ramsey Auctions!!

I haven't seen this online auction site mentioned, so I figured that I'd warn anyone else who may stumble across them.

Today they held an online auction for a local arcade that closed. I watched as most of the items went for prices similar to those I've seen on Craigslist, as well as some that seemed even higher. I bid on - and won - two items. I was excited because I got a good deal on one of the items that I won.

However, when I went to my account, I noticed that the item appeared with a flag saying "YOU MAY HAVE WON". The auction was advertised as "online only" and I watched the ticker count all the way to zero before the auction closed. I know I wasn't sniped, since the auction would extend for 3 extra minutes any time someone tried to make a bid within the last three minutes. There were several previous signs that this auction site might be shady, so I became nervous.

As of 3 hours later, I still hadn't heard anything. Then, an email appeared which read:

Dear Participants,
After several discussions with the seller post auction and due to situations that are beyond our control, it is in the best interest to cancel this auction.

That's right. They canceled the auction AFTER all of the bidding was over. Complete BS. Avoid BILL RAMSEY AUCTIONS at all costs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 04-01-2019, 02:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 976 Post(s)
Liked: 524
Quote:
Originally Posted by vespaguy View Post
I haven't seen this online auction site mentioned, so I figured that I'd warn anyone else who may stumble across them.

Today they held an online auction for a local arcade that closed. I watched as most of the items went for prices similar to those I've seen on Craigslist, as well as some that seemed even higher. I bid on - and won - two items. I was excited because I got a good deal on one of the items that I won.

However, when I went to my account, I noticed that the item appeared with a flag saying "YOU MAY HAVE WON". The auction was advertised as "online only" and I watched the ticker count all the way to zero before the auction closed. I know I wasn't sniped, since the auction would extend for 3 extra minutes any time someone tried to make a bid within the last three minutes. There were several previous signs that this auction site might be shady, so I became nervous.

As of 3 hours later, I still hadn't heard anything. Then, an email appeared which read:

Dear Participants,
After several discussions with the seller post auction and due to situations that are beyond our control, it is in the best interest to cancel this auction.

That's right. They canceled the auction AFTER all of the bidding was over. Complete BS. Avoid BILL RAMSEY AUCTIONS at all costs.
Just my 2 cents, but it could be that they had a reserve price that wasn't met. I don't know.
post #3 of 5 Old 04-01-2019, 03:10 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by liffie420 View Post
Just my 2 cents, but it could be that they had a reserve price that wasn't met. I don't know.
Auctions with reserves typically mention them, even if it's an undisclosed amount. This site doesn't even list the winning bid amount, which I also find sketchy (among other things).

Perhaps it's a normal practice - allowing the seller final say after the auction - , but if so, I've never encountered it before. Consider this fair warning to anyone else who deals with them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 04-15-2019, 08:29 AM

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Check out this auction scam;

A 94 AC land parcel near me was advertised for auction in 3 lots. The day of the auction there were several people that showed up and bidding began on Lot 1 than Lot 2 and finely Lot 3. One couple was the top bidder of Lot 2 and was very happy and jazzed to have got it.

THAN the auction dude said now we will auction off the whole 94 AC parcel as a single lot, everyone there was looking at each other going WTF is this all about. A single person was standing there to bid on the whole 94 AC lot as he already knew what the price was. He bought the whole 94 AC.

Sony VPL-VW285ES Projector / Denon AVR-X6500H Receiver / Aircom T10 Cooling Fan
Sony BDP-S790 3D/Blu-Ray / Sony UBP-X700 4K UHD
Pioneer DVL-909 Laserdisc / Lexicon LDD-1 Demodulator
Samsung DVD-VR375 DVD/VHS
post #5 of 5 Old 04-23-2019, 03:59 PM
TKO

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
This is typically how most farmland is auctioned. They will split it up then auction the whole. Highest amount wins.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDennis View Post
Check out this auction scam;

A 94 AC land parcel near me was advertised for auction in 3 lots. The day of the auction there were several people that showed up and bidding began on Lot 1 than Lot 2 and finely Lot 3. One couple was the top bidder of Lot 2 and was very happy and jazzed to have got it.

THAN the auction dude said now we will auction off the whole 94 AC parcel as a single lot, everyone there was looking at each other going WTF is this all about. A single person was standing there to bid on the whole 94 AC lot as he already knew what the price was. He bought the whole 94 AC.

Tom
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Game Room Equipment & Accessories

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page