Best Buy's Return Warning, It could happen to you. - Page 8 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
Closed Thread

post #211 of 253 Old 08-23-2013, 07:28 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyecon82 View Post

What I want to know is how to get around this if you have been denied. Can I just have my wife return it for me with with her id? Is that how it is tracked?
It will probably not work if she has the same address.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #212 of 253 Old 08-23-2013, 07:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Liked: 320
Here's an article that summarizes what BB is doing. They are using a third-party service to share your return activity with other retailers.

Linky

Seriously though, if retailers want to hold product defects, items damaged in shipping, etc against people then we need to make sure they don't have customers.
MassConfusion likes this.

Pioneer ELITE PRO-720HD | Pioneer PDP-5010FD | Sony XBR-55X850B | LG OLED55E6P
OPPO BDP-103 | OPPO UDP-203 | Toshiba HD-XA2
PlayStation 4 Pro | Xbox One X
post #213 of 253 Old 09-17-2013, 02:23 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 13
It's is a double edged sword policy for sure. It's all in the details and execution. Supposedly to combat return "fraud" but at the same time they will run off well intentioned frequent buyers for sure. I have set foot once in BB in many years because of their high pressure stupid ext warranty sales on crap PCs. I bought 20 cheap network PCs for a growing biz years ago and was hassled endlessly, even after warning the sales person AND the manager. I left 3 of them on a cart at the checkout after getting harrassed by the manager, almost telling me none of the computers might work so I should get the ext warranty. I said if none of them might work, i'll buy elsewhere and left.

They've lost tens of thousands of dollars from me and my businesses. And obviously I wasn't alone.

Dick Schulze himself approached me not long before the above, in a Richfield MN store while he was shooting a video. And I told him they are getting way too aggressive. He thanked me for my input, but I guess they didn't change much before the fall.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #214 of 253 Old 09-17-2013, 05:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked: 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by nonesuch55 View Post

This just happened to me. I bought a laptop and a $14 accessory. I returned the $14 accessory (unopened) and got flagged. TRE didn't care that I kept the laptop computer. No more returns for me for 90 days including the laptop if it fails in 15 days.

Something like this happened to me with Circuit City and we know what happened to them. Same thing with Office Depot just before their stock plummeted a few years back. People aren't as dumb as Best Buy thinks. People vote with their dollars!

Best Buy has now converted me into one of "those" customers. I will "shop" Best Buy regularly and after I have demoed my purchase at Best Buy, I will purchase my product elsewhere.

Now, where I can completely understand where it looks like Best Buy is hiding behind TRE as far as making the decision to prohibit returns for 90 days, at the same time, electronics retailers cannot take back returns indefinitely. It's not like buying a shirt from Walmart, where there's little to it, and reselling is a cinch. The type of shopping behavior BBY is trying to curtail is that which habitually uses the return window to sample and try AND then return. They don't care who you are. They care about the behavior.

Renters, basically. Someone who wants to try out the Leap Motion, but who has no intention of keeping it, as an example.

COMING SOONFinding the Ark of the Covenant by Brian Roberts, in the iBook Store on iTunes, a new investigation into the Hebrew’s Most Sacred Relic!
post #215 of 253 Old 09-17-2013, 05:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commoncents View Post

It's is a double edged sword policy for sure. It's all in the details and execution. Supposedly to combat return "fraud" but at the same time they will run off well intentioned frequent buyers for sure. I have set foot once in BB in many years because of their high pressure stupid ext warranty sales on crap PCs. I bought 20 cheap network PCs for a growing biz years ago and was hassled endlessly, even after warning the sales person AND the manager. I left 3 of them on a cart at the checkout after getting harrassed by the manager, almost telling me none of the computers might work so I should get the ext warranty. I said if none of them might work, i'll buy elsewhere and left.

They've lost tens of thousands of dollars from me and my businesses. And obviously I wasn't alone.

Dick Schulze himself approached me not long before the above, in a Richfield MN store while he was shooting a video. And I told him they are getting way too aggressive. He thanked me for my input, but I guess they didn't change much before the fall.

And I just noticed today Best Buy stock closed at a 52-week high ($38.95). The new bazaar store restructuring seems to be working for them.

COMING SOONFinding the Ark of the Covenant by Brian Roberts, in the iBook Store on iTunes, a new investigation into the Hebrew’s Most Sacred Relic!
post #216 of 253 Old 09-17-2013, 06:02 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by nonesuch55 View Post

I will "shop" Best Buy regularly and after I have demoed my purchase at Best Buy, I will purchase my product elsewhere.

You're the reason they have to make policies like the one under discussion. Shame on you.
post #217 of 253 Old 09-17-2013, 06:48 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiefs4Life View Post

You're the reason they have to make policies like the one under discussion. Shame on you.

I don't blame him, I now do the same, I'll window shop and see how a model looks in store and then look for the best price online. Most online retailers giver better prices, sometimes no tax, and their return policies and customer service are far better then best buy.
Best buy has no problem getting customers in the door, but their policies are punishing many for the bad practices of a few.
I still remember how infuriated I was after they tried to hit me with a "15% restocking fee"
post #218 of 253 Old 09-18-2013, 05:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MassConfusion View Post

I don't blame him, I now do the same, I'll window shop and see how a model looks in store and then look for the best price online. Most online retailers giver better prices, sometimes no tax, and their return policies and customer service are far better then best buy.
Best buy has no problem getting customers in the door, but their policies are punishing many for the bad practices of a few.
I still remember how infuriated I was after they tried to hit me with a "15% restocking fee"

And yet they no longer impose restocking fees.

I guess you can't please everyone. smile.gif

post #219 of 253 Old 09-18-2013, 05:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by [Irishman] View Post

And yet they no longer impose restocking fees.

I guess you can't please everyone. smile.gif

Really?, did not know that,, shows how much damage that restocking fee did tho their rep already.

But still, if i find a better price online i buy online. Whenever im in a best buy or walmart im also on amazon comparing bluray prices and 7 out of 10 times there is enough of a price difference to justify me to wait 3 days for delivery
post #220 of 253 Old 09-18-2013, 08:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 37
I don't believe that "showcasing" is really a significant problem for BBY. I never do it myself because all of the important information takes research online, physical appearance is about last on my list of issues and anything blatantly ugly will be obvious from online photos anyway.

BUT, if it really is a problem then they are missing out on a huge opportunity - they've got people walking in the door and that's the hardest part of retail right there. They should be stocking their stores with a ton of accessories and making sure that you have to walk past them to see the "showcased" products. BBY got real stupid with accessories after Circuit City closed, they reduced inventory to basically two lines "expensive" (house brands like rocketfish) and "ridiculously expensive" (monster cable, etc) and (at least in my experience) they did a poor job keeping a reasonable amount of inventory. If they can't compete on big-ticket items, they ought to be focusing on what they can compete on - convenience and impulse buys. Easy, no hassle returns are part of lowering the bar for impulse buys too.

Copyright is not property, it is merely a temporary loan from the public domain.
post #221 of 253 Old 09-18-2013, 08:29 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryW View Post

I don't believe that "showcasing" is really a significant problem for BBY. I never do it myself because all of the important information takes research online, physical appearance is about last on my list of issues and anything blatantly ugly will be obvious from online photos anyway.

BUT, if it really is a problem then they are missing out on a huge opportunity - they've got people walking in the door and that's the hardest part of retail right there. They should be stocking their stores with a ton of accessories and making sure that you have to walk past them to see the "showcased" products. BBY got real stupid with accessories after Circuit City closed, they reduced inventory to basically two lines "expensive" (house brands like rocketfish) and "ridiculously expensive" (monster cable, etc) and (at least in my experience) they did a poor job keeping a reasonable amount of inventory. If they can't compete on big-ticket items, they ought to be focusing on what they can compete on - convenience and impulse buys. Easy, no hassle returns are part of lowering the bar for impulse buys too.

This! +1

It's gonna be a slow death.
post #222 of 253 Old 09-18-2013, 09:06 AM
Advanced Member

How stupid is best buy? I went Tue morning at open , to get the World war Z promotion -(Save $10 instantly when purchasing World War Z, 2 20oz cokes and 1 6.3oz bag of combos) there were only 4 bags of combos in the whole store.

"I'm normally not a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me Superman"

post #223 of 253 Old 09-18-2013, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstspyder View Post

How stupid is best buy? I went Tue morning at open , to get the World war Z promotion -(Save $10 instantly when purchasing World War Z, 2 20oz cokes and 1 6.3oz bag of combos) there were only 4 bags of combos in the whole store.
idiots
post #224 of 253 Old 09-18-2013, 03:26 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 37
I love BB http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Global-Promotions/null/pcmcat309300050007.c?id=pcmcat309300050007

"We can complain because rose bushes have thorns or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses". - Abraham Lincoln
post #225 of 253 Old 09-18-2013, 04:36 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
me too
post #226 of 253 Old 09-19-2013, 06:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Really?, did not know that,, shows how much damage that restocking fee did tho their rep already.

But still, if i find a better price online i buy online. Whenever im in a best buy or walmart im also on amazon comparing bluray prices and 7 out of 10 times there is enough of a price difference to justify me to wait 3 days for delivery

And they can match those Amazon prices on everything (as long as it's sold and shipped BY Amazon, and not one of their resellers). And New Egg, and Tiger Direct, and Crutchfield, and B and H Photo, etc.

post #227 of 253 Old 09-19-2013, 06:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryW View Post

Easy, no hassle returns are part of lowering the bar for impulse buys too.

Easy impulse buys often end in impulse returns and buyer's remorse. That's the kind of buying behavior they're trying to reduce.
Chiefs4Life likes this.

post #228 of 253 Old 09-19-2013, 06:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

You got one bag, and there were 4 bags. How is that stupid of them? They had what you wanted, right? How much snack food should a non-food store carry?

This seems like a very silly complaint, and certainly not proof of their stupidity.

post #229 of 253 Old 09-19-2013, 08:01 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 31
There's one poster on AVS (will go unnamed) who openly confesses to having returned 11 sets in the last year. I posted this above in this thread, and it bears repeating one time: some of you are mentally ill, if not criminals, and you are screwing it up for everyone else. As for Best Buy, I now love the store, because I can walk in and go get what I want without being jumped by 2 or 3 sales guys a la the old "Circuit City" model. BB has survived and is now the king of a permanent and significant portion of the retail marketplace.
Chiefs4Life likes this.
post #230 of 253 Old 09-19-2013, 09:25 AM

Liked: 12
I enjoy shopping at BB. The thing I hate is that the majority of their staff are about as knowledgeable as a rock, maybe one guy in the entire stor has some sort of product knowledge but he never seems to be working when I go in lol. As for the return policy I am and elite member so I have 45 days for returns.

It's all fun and games until my wife notices something new in the entertainment center
post #231 of 253 Old 09-19-2013, 10:53 AM

Quote:

You got one bag, and there were 4 bags. How is that stupid of them? They had what you wanted, right? How much snack food should a non-food store carry?

This seems like a very silly complaint, and certainly not proof of their stupidity.
Because their running a promotion and probably dont have enough to last the first hour of the day. Its a bad practice and unfair to people who go out of there way after work for something specific and they dont have what your looking for. Its very unfair and if you cant see that then i dont know what to say.

And they CONSTANTLY do that. With cds, blu rays, games.
post #232 of 253 Old 09-19-2013, 10:56 AM

Quote:

And they can match those Amazon prices on everything (as long as it's sold and shipped BY Amazon, and not one of their resellers). And New Egg, and Tiger Direct, and Crutchfield, and B and H Photo, etc.
yet amazon has one of the top rated customer service out there, and i dont know if amazon price matches the 3rd part vendors on amazon which are usually the cheaper routes.
post #233 of 253 Old 09-19-2013, 11:21 AM

"Price matching" is well known to raise prices, not lower them, as it eliminates the incentives to lower your price as you will not capture any market share. The Amazon policy has ruined B&H, which used to be cheaper than anyone and now isn't. In fact, if you look at the vendors Amazon price-matches you will see the prices are almost uniform. I actually think eBay is much more buyer-friendly than is Amazon.
post #234 of 253 Old 09-19-2013, 09:04 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:

Easy impulse buys often end in impulse returns and buyer's remorse. That's the kind of buying behavior they're trying to reduce.

They'll take that chance. Big box retail stores LIVE on impulse buys and the returns are expected, that's the nature of the game and that is not the behavior they are trying to reduce. The need to reduce the buy and tries like the 11 tv guy.

BB is is doing what they have to to stop from getting swallowed up by online merchants with little overhead. I support my local BB as much as possible. Now that they price match amazon it makes it easy. I'll just never buy cables or anything there.

Denon X3100W
Klipsch RB-61 II (Fronts), Klipsch RC-52 II (Center)
Deftech StudioMonitor 350 (surrounds)
Klipsch SW-115 (sub)
LG 50LB5900
TiVo Roamio
post #235 of 253 Old 09-20-2013, 03:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcscomics View Post

i'm more a lurker than a poster, but i just gotta say...I don't know if I have ever seen such a load of crap as your last two posts...
but that is just my opinion...

Sorry you feel that way. It's a fact serial returners have deep mental issues and are ruining returns at Best Buy for the rest of us, who understand when we buy an edge-lit LED TV for $2,000 that it isn't the same as a $10,000 full array and/or OLED set. Some want to keep the $8,000 in their pocket and blackmail BB, returning 11 sets in a quest for the $10,000 "perfection." And as for price matching, again, it's a fact, perhaps counterintuitive but a fact nonetheless. Here's an accessible article on the subject: http://voices.yahoo.com/price-matching-hurts-consumers-creating-price-fixing-229739.html?cat=3
post #236 of 253 Old 09-20-2013, 05:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Because their running a promotion and probably dont have enough to last the first hour of the day. Its a bad practice and unfair to people who go out of there way after work for something specific and they dont have what your looking for. Its very unfair and if you cant see that then i dont know what to say.

And they CONSTANTLY do that. With cds, blu rays, games.

Where do you live that you have to go to Best Buy for food?

post #237 of 253 Old 09-20-2013, 05:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjvnyc View Post

Sorry you feel that way. It's a fact serial returners have deep mental issues and are ruining returns at Best Buy for the rest of us, who understand when we buy an edge-lit LED TV for $2,000 that it isn't the same as a $10,000 full array and/or OLED set. Some want to keep the $8,000 in their pocket and blackmail BB, returning 11 sets in a quest for the $10,000 "perfection." And as for price matching, again, it's a fact, perhaps counterintuitive but a fact nonetheless. Here's an accessible article on the subject: http://voices.yahoo.com/price-matching-hurts-consumers-creating-price-fixing-229739.html?cat=3
Good article and good points but it has some holes and is to black n white.
1. Its forgeting that manufacteres are also competing with each other and will lower prices for extra sales. sony and samsung did just lower prices of their uhd due to competition, so prices will still come down.

2.in the scenario without the price matching it assumes that just because one store lowered prices they all of a sudden gained all the sales and the other store was forced to lower sales due to lack of sales. In the example with price matching for some reason it assumes that sales remained the same for both stores people continued to pay extra at the store that didnt drop the proce, why is that?

I just like debating in the hopes i can learn new things not to start arguements or to belittle anyone or to persuad anyone to look at things my way..
post #238 of 253 Old 09-20-2013, 05:34 AM

Quote:

Where do you live that you have to go to Best Buy for food?
not all their promotions deal with food lol.
But i remember one of the Gears of War games was to come with a free rc car if you purchased it at best buy, i went during my lunch on its release day and they were out of the rc car. Guy told me they only recieved a few. So thats one of the specific ecamples i have.
Also remember going to buy a cd and another time a bluray cuz they were discounted, and on both occassions they were sold out. Both times i was told they only recieved 6 of the items.
So 3 examples from just me. Plus one example from the other post.
Why is it so hard for you to believe that people actually have bad ecperiences?
I think i wanna know where YOUR from since the stores there are so great lol
post #239 of 253 Old 09-20-2013, 06:30 AM

Quote:

Good article and good points but it has some holes and is to black n white.
1. Its forgeting that manufacteres are also competing with each other and will lower prices for extra sales. sony and samsung did just lower prices of their uhd due to competition, so prices will still come down.

2.in the scenario without the price matching it assumes that just because one store lowered prices they all of a sudden gained all the sales and the other store was forced to lower sales due to lack of sales. In the example with price matching for some reason it assumes that sales remained the same for both stores people continued to pay extra at the store that didnt drop the proce, why is that?

I just like debating in the hopes i can learn new things not to start arguements or to belittle anyone or to persuad anyone to look at things my way..

The consumerist argument against price-matching is that a retailer deciding whether to lower price or keep it the same will say to himself "I'll not gain any market share by doing so, so I can't fully offset the lower price with higher sales to make up the difference, so I won't lower the price."
post #240 of 253 Old 09-20-2013, 06:55 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:

(Save $10 instantly when purchasing World War Z, 2 20oz cokes and 1 6.3oz bag of combos) there were only 4 bags of combos in the whole store.
Quote:

The point here is that the deal is severely restricted by a trivial item. If a retailer is going to offer the deal, there's no excuse to only have 4 bags of combos. It doesn't matter that they're not a supermarket. It is their suggestion that you buy snack food from them! And combos are not rare collector's items, its junk food. So they're either luring you to the store with a dishonestly limited sale, or (more likely) just aren't competent with their own sales and inventory.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread Great Found Deals

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page