Best Subwoofers Under $500 on Amazon - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 36Likes

post #31 of 54 Old 10-10-2018, 05:48 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 328 Post(s)
Liked: 117
It's a bummer this thread devolved into whether or not AVSForum gets kickbacks; I could really use a more thorough discussion of the subwoofers on the list. I just had a budget Piunnacle 12" subwoofer die on me (what convenient timing) and need to replace it. And, as the article is geared towards, my wallet fits the "under $500" range, since this is just another one of a series of unexpected expenses I've been faced with.
kernmyea and Pitbull0669 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 54 Old 10-10-2018, 08:58 AM
Mark Henninger

Mentioned: 465 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9379 Post(s)
Liked: 16623
Quote:
Originally Posted by wookiegr View Post
AVS isn't getting paid for those mentions. There's no affiliate links attached. it would be nice to find an unbiased list of products, subs, speakers, etc.. that are not exclusive to what can be bought on Amazon or through a link to some other seller with a kickback program. Most of the internet is littered with that crap. You want to find the best in ceiling speakers for Atmos audio? Expect to get inundated with top ten lists people threw together of Amazon links based on user reviews, not genuine reviews with integrity.

Finding out about great products is nothing like it use to be in the days of Stereophile or Sound and Vision magazines. (1980's-1990's) It's all clicks for dollars anymore.
You are 100% correct. The Internet changed everything. No longer do people have to rely on a couple of monthly magazines for all of their information. But last I checked, Stereophile was still doing its thing and anyone who needs to know what the best $30,000 speaker cables are can still turn to it for advice.

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum

Last edited by imagic; 10-10-2018 at 09:14 AM.
post #33 of 54 Old 10-10-2018, 09:01 AM
Mark Henninger

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Lushious View Post
It's a bummer this thread devolved into whether or not AVSForum gets kickbacks; I could really use a more thorough discussion of the subwoofers on the list. I just had a budget Piunnacle 12" subwoofer die on me (what convenient timing) and need to replace it. And, as the article is geared towards, my wallet fits the "under $500" range, since this is just another one of a series of unexpected expenses I've been faced with.
Ignored in those comments is the fact these selections are all solid choices and were not selected at random, but rather were chosen thoughtfully. And that people who have any Internet skills whatsoever can choose where they buy one of these subs.

Some of the comments make it sound like *because* these subs are in this list they should not be considered. That's silly. The exact purpose of the list is to highlight some good subs while also including retail links that nobody is obligated to use. Lol.
Pitbull0669 likes this.

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 54 Old 10-11-2018, 05:16 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Lushious View Post
Thank you for pointing that out. That's what it is a Budget friendly list. I have used and had all of the subs on the list. As I stated. Not about click for dollars as some have stated. We do generate add revenue for the use of the links. Last I checked this is all free information. We still have to pay for the lights to be turned on. That being said.... My review up coming of Focal 5.1 Flax system and The Legacy Focus XD Towers.you wont see links for that there. lol.

Chemistry baby!
post #35 of 54 Old 10-11-2018, 05:18 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by imagic View Post
you are 100% correct. The internet changed everything. No longer do people have to rely on a couple of monthly magazines for all of their information. But last i checked, stereophile was still doing its thing and anyone who needs to know what the best $30,000 speaker cables are can still turn to it for advice.
haha!

Chemistry baby!
post #36 of 54 Old 10-11-2018, 05:21 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wookiegr View Post
The subs are great, there's no arguing that. And the article clearly states "from Amazon" so no deception is implied... The original point that got horribly twisted was in a nutshell, it's impossible to find a genuine list of review items without there being some sort of affiliation behind them ANYWHERE on the internet. Even "reviews" are sometimes just unboxing videos or the reciting of the manuals specs or sound demos using microphones. Youtube especially is completely infected with that nonsense. No one at AVS should put too much thought into the comments on this subject and just keep doing what they're doing. We're not going to stop reading them despite how the internet has normalized the art of backhanded compliments...

Audioholics in particular has more than half their "Reviews" being simple "Previews" which are nothing more that advertisements of announced or recently released items with no hands on at all. Just airing my pet peeves with the industry that I've been involved in for over 30 years. I see the decline and I comment.

Thank you.,and agreed.

Chemistry baby!
post #37 of 54 Old 02-06-2020, 10:07 AM - Thread Starter

I love to see these articles get traction.More people need to be well informed in these areas, most don't have major money to toss around at room acoustics and high end speaker systems.

Chemistry baby!
post #38 of 54 Old 02-06-2020, 12:49 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 247 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9764 Post(s)
Liked: 6768
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitbull0669 View Post
I love to see these articles get traction.More people need to be well informed in these areas, most don't have major money to toss around at room acoustics and high end speaker systems.
Best $500 sub currently on Amazon isn't even listed in this old article which for some reason is on the home page.

SVS PB12.
eriksells916 likes this.

Geoff A. J., California
post #39 of 54 Old 02-06-2020, 02:15 PM - Thread Starter

This is my opinion on what I have had in house. And the SVS PB 12 NSD is a old outdated sub. I've had those in house and was not impressed so not on the list.
imagic likes this.

Chemistry baby!
post #40 of 54 Old 02-07-2020, 05:28 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Klipsch R112SW currently $349 on Amazon with free shipping and has had generally good reviews, but some owners have found that the plate amp went bad in a year or two. Is it worth the risk?
Pitbull0669 likes this.
post #41 of 54 Old 02-07-2020, 05:38 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoric76 View Post
Klipsch R112SW currently $349 on Amazon with free shipping and has had generally good reviews, but some owners have found that the plate amp went bad in a year or two. Is it worth the risk?

ALL DAY LONG. You can find the plate amps on Ebay for next to nothing if needed.
Yoric76 likes this.

Chemistry baby!
post #42 of 54 Old 02-07-2020, 11:56 AM

Quote:
This is my opinion on what I have had in house. And the SVS PB 12 NSD is a old outdated sub. I've had those in house and was not impressed so not on the list.
Well regarded subwoofer review site Audioholics measured it and gave it their "large room rating."

https://www.audioholics.com/subwoofer-reviews/pb12-nsd

Don't think any of the other subs would get that rating or measure as well so, for others, might want to explore it as an option including checking on other AVS member opinion which have been generally very positive.

Geoff A. J., California
post #43 of 54 Old 02-07-2020, 12:57 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gajCA View Post
Well regarded subwoofer review site Audioholics measured it and gave it their "large room rating."

Don't think any of the other subs would get that rating or measure as well so, for others, might want to explore it as an option including checking on other AVS member opinion which have been generally very positive.

I like Gene, I used to write for the site way back. Regardless of its measurement I don't like the sub.Plus it was in 2012. I mean so much has changed since that sub, way better subs out. Again this is my opinion and if I liked it it would have been on the list trust me. Personally I think the the Polk HTS 12 blows that out of the water.

Chemistry baby!

Last edited by Pitbull0669; 02-07-2020 at 01:01 PM.
post #44 of 54 Old 02-07-2020, 01:40 PM
Mark Henninger

Quote:
Best $500 sub currently on Amazon isn't even listed in this old article which for some reason is on the home page.

SVS PB12.
Quote:

It's #1 in the list now. Thank you for pointing that out. These lists are flexible, any good suggestion will be considered for addition.

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum
post #45 of 54 Old 02-07-2020, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imagic View Post
It's #1 in the list now. Thank you for pointing that out. These lists are flexible, any good suggestion will be considered for addition.
Well, it has been there longer than last year; it seems to be a seasonal promotion so watch, tomorrow it will be gone!

Geoff A. J., California
post #46 of 54 Old 02-07-2020, 03:00 PM

Quote:
I like Gene, I used to write for the site way back. Regardless of its measurement I don't like the sub.Plus it was in 2012. I mean so much has changed since that sub, way better subs out. Again this is my opinion and if I liked it it would have been on the list trust me. Personally I think the the Polk HTS 12 blows that out of the water.
I think you should start a thread in the subwoofer section as it is $357 right now at Best Buy and most would not consider it to be the equal, let alone better than the twice as powerful PB12.

I doubt many AVS members like you have had both in their own homes and come to that conclusion so would be a service to AVS.
Pitbull0669 likes this.

Geoff A. J., California
post #47 of 54 Old 02-07-2020, 03:43 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I think you should start a thread in the subwoofer section as it is $357 right now at Best Buy and most would not consider it to be the equal, let alone better than the twice as powerful PB12.

I doubt many AVS members like you have had both in their own homes and come to that conclusion so would be a service to AVS.
Great idea!

Chemistry baby!
post #48 of 54 Old 02-09-2020, 03:04 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Dayton Audio Sub 1500’s. I use two of them, along with tow buttkicker advances. Awesome!
imagic and Pitbull0669 like this.
post #49 of 54 Old 02-19-2020, 12:09 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Curious as to your thoughts on the Definitive Technology Supercube 2000.
post #50 of 54 Old 02-19-2020, 12:32 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 216 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Trying to get a "good" sub under $500 is really tough. In my opinion the good subs don't start until you get to the $500 to $600 price range. If you can stretch your budget to work there, just go with a good subwoofer manufacturer, like Rythmik, Hsu or SVS. Hsu and SVS have subs right at or within $50 of the $500 limit, if it is a strict $500 limit. Subwoofers at this pricerange might just be okay, if they are going in a great room that is open to the entire house, in which case you would want to increase your budget even further, maybe quite a bit further. If the room is less than 3,000 to 4,000 cubic feet *enclosed* then the entry level ported options from the manufacturers mentioned above will probably give you a pretty good experience. If the room is closer to 2,000 to 3,000 cubic feet *enclosed* or less, then the ported options will be excellent for that particular room size.
post #51 of 54 Old 02-20-2020, 01:19 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave in Green View Post
Since any sub can easily be made wireless with the addition of an add-on wireless subwoofer kit I'd look for the sub you think is best for your preferences/budget and add your own wireless kit.
I use this wireless transmitter-receiver pair from Dayton (via Parts Express):

https://www.parts-express.com/dayton...ver-s--300-594

When I was searching, I noticed that they looked identical to the wireless add-on option offered by one of the subwoofer manufacturers that I was considering at the time (forgot which one... SVS?).

Bought an extra receiver for my second sub (single transmitter is connected to the single subwoofer OUT on my Onkyo 805) -- all work great. Audyssey results in an extreme distance measure for the subs, but I assume because it's influenced by the time delay introduced by the wireless transmitter/receivers. Pretty inexpensive and effective alternative to running wires so I couldn't complain...
post #52 of 54 Old 02-22-2020, 04:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 419 Post(s)
Liked: 142
I would agree with the polk hts12. It doesnt have a very powerful amp but I have been pleasantly surprised by it. It plays plenty loud enough and clean. Very flat response in my room. You can get it for 318$ right now on amazon. Small form factor looks nice and cheap for performance. I'm very happy with how the sub sounds and im coming from a monolith 15 and no it's not same but it's good enough that I'm happy with performance and at thT price I'm ecstatic I could buy another and still be under 650$
humbland and Spencer Wolfe like this.
post #53 of 54 Old 02-23-2020, 05:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1140 Post(s)
Liked: 333
Quote:
Originally Posted by golden78 View Post
I would agree with the polk hts12. It doesnt have a very powerful amp but I have been pleasantly surprised by it. It plays plenty loud enough and clean. Very flat response in my room. You can get it for 318$ right now on amazon. Small form factor looks nice and cheap for performance. I'm very happy with how the sub sounds and im coming from a monolith 15 and no it's not same but it's good enough that I'm happy with performance and at thT price I'm ecstatic I could buy another and still be under 650$
+1 on the Polk. In fact, if you only want to spend <$300, the Polk Audio HTS 10 is a great small sub.
Over the years, we have had several of the models mentioned in the review, plus many others (including Paradigm, Infinity, Velodyne, HSU and SVS).
The 10" Polk HTS with "Power Port" technology can more than hold its own and punch way above its weight. Class D/200w peak power and extension down to 25hz. The "Power Port" adds to the way cool form factor and actually works! Sound is smooth, balanced and punchy.
Check out the reviews on Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/Polk-Audio-Su.../dp/B075M34866
4.7 stars
$240 new/$179 used with free Prime shipping
post #54 of 54 Old 02-23-2020, 06:55 AM

Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 156
the SVS SB12-NSD and SVS PB-1000 are both under $500 on amazon right now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LG 55C8, Pioneer Elite VSX-LX503, Panamax M5400, Microsoft Xbox One X, Nvidia Shield Pro
Definitive Technology: BP9060 Front left/right/CS9040 center/A90 front Atmos/ProMonitor 1000 rear Atmos/Mirage: MX bookshelves rear left/right
Rythmik FVX15
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Great Found Deals

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page