Best Subwoofers Under $500 on Amazon - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 36Likes

post #1 of 54 Old 10-04-2018, 07:46 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked: 129
Best Subwoofers Under $500 on Amazon

People often ask me what subs I recommend and it's not an easy question to answer. But we can always start with start with the most important factor: How much can you spend? Of course the answer to the budget question isn't always so simple since many people don't have much disposable income, nor the space to dedicate to pricey, massive subs.

Well fear not, I'm here to share my picks for best subs under $500! That's right, these picks will all make you a happy bass head! Let's start...

To read more, follow this link: https://www.avsforum.com/best-subwoo...500-on-amazon/
CL-350 likes this.

Chemistry baby!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 54 Old 10-04-2018, 01:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked: 523
I think using Amazon is fair. I would say a good number if not most will do a lot of their shopping on Amazon nowadays. I mean my main two go to is Amazon and eBay but I am also a Prime Member so the shipping bonus and the ease of returns is nice perk.
Pitbull0669 and Lp85253 like this.

Projector: BenQ w1500 + ES Sable 135" 16:9 Screen AVR: Marantz SR6011 ATMOS/DTSX + Unity 2ch Amp + Darbee 5000s Speakers: Polk Audio TSX550t (FL/FR), CS2 Series II (C), FXiA6 (SL/SR), Monitor40 Series II (RL/RR), TSx110B (Ceiling FL/FR RL/RR) LFE: (2) JL Audio 12" Subs + (2) Dayton 15" Subs + (2) ButtKicker LFE Arrangement: 7.1.4 Source: OPPO UDP-203 4k Bluray Player, HTPC, nVidia Shield TV Pro, Hauppauge OTA DVR
post #3 of 54 Old 10-04-2018, 01:49 PM - Thread Starter

Any of these Subs on Amazon or not are well worth their price. Just happens to be that they are all on that site. Which ones would you like to see on the list? Remember this is $500 and under. And some of those subs you can have 2 for that price. That is a bargain in any ones book.

Chemistry baby!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 54 Old 10-04-2018, 02:25 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 248 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9791 Post(s)
Liked: 6811
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitbull0669 View Post
People often ask me what subs I recommend and it's not an easy question to answer. But we can always start with start with the most important factor: How much can you spend? Of course the answer to the budget question isn't always so simple since many people don't have much disposable income, nor the space to dedicate to pricey, massive subs.

Well fear not, I'm here to share my picks for best subs under $500! That's right, these picks will all make you a happy bass head! Let's start...

To read more, follow this link: https://www.avsforum.com/best-subwoo...500-on-amazon/
The Monoprice 10" THX is on Amazon but, laughably, $88 more than direct from Monoprice...so doesn't make the $500 cut if you choose Amazon over Monoprice Direct.

Geoff A. J., California
post #5 of 54 Old 10-04-2018, 02:31 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Wireless sub

I want to add a second sub & it will be located across the room from my receiver. I don't want to run wires! Anybody have a suggestion for a wireless sub?

Vizio P65, Denon X1400H AVR, DirecTV 4K, Sony UHD BlueRay UBP-X800, Apple TV 4K, Cambridge PSW-1 sub, Cambridge center channel, ELAC B4 fronts, Klipsch rears;
post #6 of 54 Old 10-04-2018, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgondek View Post
I want to add a second sub & it will be located across the room from my receiver. I don't want to run wires! Anybody have a suggestion for a wireless sub?
https://www.crutchfield.com/p_839DY7...namo-700W.html

or this https://www.svsound.com/products/sou...-audio-adapter

plus this https://emotiva.com/products/basx-s1...iAAEgJgIfD_BwE
sgondek and Madmax67 like this.

Geoff A. J., California
post #7 of 54 Old 10-04-2018, 03:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 157 Post(s)
Quoted: 4019 Post(s)
Liked: 3204
Quote:
Since any sub can easily be made wireless with the addition of an add-on wireless subwoofer kit I'd look for the sub you think is best for your preferences/budget and add your own wireless kit.
sgondek, Dark Matter and yanks1 like this.
post #8 of 54 Old 10-04-2018, 07:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 323 Post(s)
Liked: 306
A dual driver sub ? I'm not that versed in all things subwoofer , but I don't think a passive radiator is a driver . The 10" driver responds to the electrical inputs from the receiver , the passive radiator responds to the pressure differences caused by the actual driver . The work a passive radiator does can be duplicated by ports or more box volume , the work a driver does can not be duplicated by a passive radiator .

Please correct me if I'm wrong but I think calling a small sub enclosure with a 10" driver and a passive radiator a dual driver does a disservice to subwoofers that actually have 2 drivers , and misleads people who might be less versed in gear .

Turn that $*!# UP!! --Beethoven
post #9 of 54 Old 10-04-2018, 08:01 PM
Mark Henninger

Mentioned: 465 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9394 Post(s)
Liked: 16665
Quote:
Originally Posted by acras13 View Post
A dual driver sub ? I'm not that versed in all things subwoofer , but I don't think a passive radiator is a driver . The 10" driver responds to the electrical inputs from the receiver , the passive radiator responds to the pressure differences caused by the actual driver . The work a passive radiator does can be duplicated by ports or more box volume , the work a driver does can not be duplicated by a passive radiator .

Please correct me if I'm wrong but I think calling a small sub enclosure with a 10" driver and a passive radiator a dual driver does a disservice to subwoofers that actually have 2 drivers , and misleads people who might be less versed in gear .
Editor's note...

After looking through numerous descriptions of passive radiators, I see a studious avoidance in calling them drivers, while in the same context "active driver" is used to refer to speaker active drivers. I'll make an edit.

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum
post #10 of 54 Old 10-04-2018, 08:32 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Polk psw-505 ???
post #11 of 54 Old 10-05-2018, 06:36 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tn001d View Post
Polk psw-505 ???

Yes still a good sub but not in the league with the BIC, or the Klipsch at not more much money. Which is why it did not make the list.

Chemistry baby!

Last edited by Pitbull0669; 10-05-2018 at 06:40 AM.
post #12 of 54 Old 10-05-2018, 07:21 AM

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Beside this there's another post about best projectors on Amazon. To me it seems Amazon is paying avsforum to have these posts.
ExcelonGT likes this.
post #13 of 54 Old 10-05-2018, 07:34 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 290 Post(s)
Liked: 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by wookiegr View Post
I'm not doubting those subs. They all look good. I simply wonder what's out there from the independent boutique internet retailers that the majority of us never hear about. Surely, that was not the intent of the list. If I had recommendations for your list I wouldn't have needed to look at it in the first place. All this article did was make we wonder what's out there beyond the generally available ones. Nothing else. I would love to know what other sub makers are out there that never get all the attention on these sites. This is obviously unrelated.
The two most popular, HSU and PSA, don't offer a sub 500$ sub.
Pitbull0669 likes this.

Marantz SR7010 - Emotiva XPA-3 Gen 3 - SeymourAV 16:9 Premier 130" XD - JVC DLA-RS540 - 7.2.4 - L/C/R DIY Fusion 15 Sentinel - Surrounds RSL CG3 - Ceiling Polk RC80i - Dual UM-18s in sealed 4 cu ft with bridged Crown XLS 2002s
post #14 of 54 Old 10-05-2018, 10:19 AM
Mark Henninger

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddwz View Post
Beside this there's another post about best projectors on Amazon. To me it seems Amazon is paying avsforum to have these posts.
Standard discalimer here: We are committed to finding, researching, and recommending the best products. We earn commissions from purchases you make using the retail links in our product reviews. Learn more about how this works here.

Rtings explaining why/how it does something similar: https://www.rtings.com/company/support-us
Pitbull0669 likes this.

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum
post #15 of 54 Old 10-05-2018, 11:05 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by klimo View Post
You are very correct. Almost none of the boutique Sub companies offer under $500 subs..

Chemistry baby!
post #16 of 54 Old 10-05-2018, 01:44 PM

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by acras13 View Post

I agree, but no harm done- really. Those who just scan the headings won't be mislead, and those who read the whole thing will know exactly what the two drivers are.
post #17 of 54 Old 10-05-2018, 01:49 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Rsl speedwoofer 10s
Holiday likes this.
post #18 of 54 Old 10-05-2018, 01:57 PM

Quote:
The HSU VTF-1 MK3 Subwoofer is under $500 every day, including shipping.
vardo likes this.
post #19 of 54 Old 10-05-2018, 02:00 PM

Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Steer clear of copper colored subwoofers as there are better choices out there. Of course that is a personal opinion based on hands on experience. I have been criticized for using personal, hands on experience before on here, so if you are in the camp that believes specs tell more than up front and personal experience, then you may want to just buy one and post your own findings. I would like to give Hsu subwoofers a try, as I had a question about coils in the design of subs, and actually talked to Dr Hsu himself after leaving a message with an assistant there. He actually called ME back! We talked for about 15 minutes about amplifier design, and he really impressed me.
post #20 of 54 Old 10-05-2018, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Sorry for the lame response above, damn fat fingers. While I have not listened to it personally the RSL Speedwoofer 10S seems to get good reviews and has a built in wireless receiver. You can purchase a wireless transmitter from the vendor for a small upcharge and have a wireless sub for under $500. That includes free shipping, a 30 day trial period and free returns if you don't like it.

https://rslspeakers.com/products/rsl-speedwoofer-10s/
post #21 of 54 Old 10-05-2018, 02:33 PM

Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked: 60
The Hsu VTF-1 MK3 is under $500 and the VTF-2 MK5 is just over $500. I believe they are some of the best values I've seen as far as the reviews, but I have no hands on experience. I think that hands on experience is unparalleled as far as giving an honest opinion of a product. As far as Amazon, I don't see a lot of the choices I would make available through Amazon, but there are some brands that are NTS (Not Too Shabby) available through Amazon. If there is an emphasis on quality of a subwoofer, you may have to be willing to take Amazon out of the mix.
post #22 of 54 Old 10-05-2018, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bootster View Post
The Hsu VTF-1 MK3 is under $500 and the VTF-2 MK5 is just over $500. I believe they are some of the best values I've seen as far as the reviews, but I have no hands on experience. I think that hands on experience is unparalleled as far as giving an honest opinion of a product. As far as Amazon, I don't see a lot of the choices I would make available through Amazon, but there are some brands that are NTS (Not Too Shabby) available through Amazon. If there is an emphasis on quality of a subwoofer, you may have to be willing to take Amazon out of the mix.
I agree, I believe first person reviews are the best source of information. I have a HSU VTF-3 MK5 HP and love it. However, I have never compared it to any other 15" subs. I am also an Amazon Prime member and actually bought a JBL Studio 550P from them, which I also like. The best thing about buying items like these from Amazon is, if you can be patient, you can sometimes find great deals. However, there are definitely a lot of other options out there, many of which also include free shipping (and returns). The only reason I purchased the JBL was I found it for under $200 on Amazon and couldn't pass it up. While a new poster, I have been visiting this site for years. The recent trend of Amazon-based recommendations is a little concerning for me. I don't mean to insinuate there is any compromise in product reviews or information, but it definitely appears to be a slippery slope.
bootster likes this.
post #23 of 54 Old 10-05-2018, 03:49 PM
Mark Henninger

Quote:
Originally Posted by prplhaz123 View Post
I agree, I believe first person reviews are the best source of information. I have a HSU VTF-3 MK5 HP and love it. However, I have never compared it to any other 15" subs. I am also an Amazon Prime member and actually bought a JBL Studio 550P from them, which I also like. The best thing about buying items like these from Amazon is, if you can be patient, you can sometimes find great deals. However, there are definitely a lot of other options out there, many of which also include free shipping (and returns). The only reason I purchased the JBL was I found it for under $200 on Amazon and couldn't pass it up. While a new poster, I have been visiting this site for years. The recent trend of Amazon-based recommendations is a little concerning for me. I don't mean to insinuate there is any compromise in product reviews or information, but it definitely appears to be a slippery slope.
As the person who wrote all the review on this site, I want to assure you there's no slippery slope here. These are not reviews.

IMO a "slippery slope" is being an "audiophile" magazine that relies on dwindling ad dollars and therefore starts saying things like you can hear the difference a $5000 power cord makes.

Amazon deals posted in the "Great Found Deals" section of AVS Forum is not a substitute for a review. This is just a list of recommended products, but even so they were not chosen at random. Steve's sense of which models to recommend is on-point.

Also, there's no specific requirement that the links go to Amazon. But if Amazon sells all the products included in a list, it's the first go-to. And if they are all products on Amazon, it simply makes sense to put that in the headline. Hope that helps.
Pitbull0669 likes this.

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum

Last edited by imagic; 10-06-2018 at 08:09 AM.
post #24 of 54 Old 10-06-2018, 06:58 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by imagic View Post
As the person who wrote all the review on this site, I want to assure you there's no slippery slope here. These are not reveiws.

Well, IMO a "slippery slope" is being an "audiophile" magazine that relies on dwindling ad dollars and therefore starts saying things like you can hear the difference a $5000 power cord makes.

Amazon deals posted in the "Great Found Deals" section of AVS Forum is not a substitute for a review. It's just a list of recommended products, and they were not chosen at random. Steve's sense of which models to recommend is on-point.

Also, there's no specific requirement that the links go to Amazon. But if Amazon sells all the products included in a list, it's the first go-to. And if they are all products on Amazon, it simply makes sense to put that in the headline. Hope that helps.
Thank you sir. I have herd and listened to literally all the subs on that list at one point or another. Now would I love to incorporate 20 more subs? Yep. But there has to be a line drawn some where.

Chemistry baby!
post #25 of 54 Old 10-06-2018, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitbull0669 View Post

The SVS PB1000 should be on your Amazon list; Sound & Vision deemed it better for movies than the SB1000 as it plays louder and deeper, (they found a -3db point of 18hz).
Pitbull0669 likes this.

Geoff A. J., California
post #26 of 54 Old 10-07-2018, 11:37 AM - Thread Starter

I agree, I figured having one SVS on the list I went for the wife acceptance factor on this.

Chemistry baby!
post #27 of 54 Old 10-08-2018, 10:20 AM

Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked: 106
I have 2x the BIC PL-200.
post #28 of 54 Old 10-08-2018, 02:12 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Basing purchasing decision on whether on not it's sold by Amazon seems idiotic..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #29 of 54 Old 10-09-2018, 05:55 AM

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
The HSU VTF-1 MK3 is $369.

http://www.hsuresearch.com/products/vtf-1mk3.html

RSL Speedwoofer 10 is $399

https://rslspeakers.com/speedwoofer10s/

They're out there.
post #30 of 54 Old 10-09-2018, 08:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 323 Post(s)
Liked: 306
Quote:
Originally Posted by wookiegr View Post
AVS isn't getting paid for those mentions. There's no affiliate links attached. it would be nice to find an unbiased list of products, subs, speakers, etc.. that are not exclusive to what can be bought on Amazon or through a link to some other seller with a kickback program. Most of the internet is littered with that crap. You want to find the best in ceiling speakers for Atmos audio? Expect to get inundated with top ten lists people threw together of Amazon links based on user reviews, not genuine reviews with integrity.

Finding out about great products is nothing like it use to be in the days of Stereophile or Sound and Vision magazines. (1980's-1990's) It's all clicks for dollars anymore.
If the affiliate links are what are reducing the add servers and tracking links on this site then I'm willing to deal with that . A year or two ago this site could take 30-45 seconds to load because of all the trackers they had to load ( if I remember right 135+ at one point) . Top ten or whatever lists like this aren't that harmful tied to affiliate linked products because the casual reader is probably getting better suggestions than from some other sites , and the more careful shopper will read the comments and see some of the other choices that weren't on the list , then hopefully dig a little deeper.

Turn that $*!# UP!! --Beethoven
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Great Found Deals

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page