Cheap Efficient Garage Speakers, Any Deals/Recommendations? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 07-23-2019, 02:59 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 436 Post(s)
Liked: 202
Cheap Efficient Garage Speakers, Any Deals/Recommendations?

In my garage, I have a ~20-year-old pair of 12" 3-Way KLH speakers that have served me well. They're powered by a modest Lepai chip-amp that outputs ~15w/ch at 8ohm. They are used mostly for music and TV playback while working in the garage/driveway and occasionally used for backyard movie nights with the same amplification. Unfortunately, one woofer is starting to give some distortion at levels loud enough to hear well in the driveway. Replacing them immediately isn't a priority given the use-case but I doubt they're going to get any better so I thought I'd start being vigilant for a good deal (if they up and died tomorrow I do have some little Polk R15 or JBL N24 bookshelves I could use temporarily).

Given the use case, low-end output isn't of paramount concern and anything good down to ~50-60hz would be acceptable. Given the modest amplification, I'd like to find something relatively efficient, preferably above 90db/w/m and the higher the better. Size isn't really much of a concern either (I've already made space for the big KLHs). That said, I'm shopping on a shoe-string budget even if it requires some patience. Something like the previous generation Monoprice Stage Right 15" passive PA speakers probably would have been ideal and within my price range when they were on clearance+coupon, but they're all gone now and the new model is well out of my price range. I'm looking to spend $150 or less for the pair.

Outside of stumbling across some used Klipsch bookshelves on Craig's List or Facebook Marketplace, does anyone have any specific recommendations? I occasionally see Synergy bookshelfs for ~$50-$70/pair... if I "splurge" and go up to $150/pair, is there anything out there new/refurb I should consider?

Also, I posted here since I'm specifically asking for price-related recommendations... but if I'd be better served in the Speaker forum, a mod can feel free to move this there.

BenQ TK800 | Silver Ticket 106" 16:9 1.0 Grey | Marantz SR6011 | B&W P6 | B&W CDMC SE | Sonance .5 THX SUR | MCM In-Ceiling Atmos | Ascendant Avalanche 12" in 6 ft^3 @ 18Hz w/ BASH 500w Plate Amp | Sony X800 | NVidia Shield TV Pro | XBox One 500gb | Nintendo Switch | Harmony Smart Control | SmartThings Hub | Google Home | AT&T Fiber 300 | YouTube TV | Netflix | HBO Now | Spotify
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 07-23-2019, 04:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked: 407
This is taken from user Defcon on another thread so thanks Defcon. Works great here. All are effecient and easy to drive

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=24718 (open box but there are others here too) - $99 each
https://www.amazon.com/Behringer-B21.../dp/B001XWD3LC - $159 each
https://www.amazon.com/Mackie-C200-1.../dp/B003552MGW - $199 each

Review thread of the monoprice.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/89-sp...er-review.html
post #3 of 8 Old 07-23-2019, 06:39 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

If the original Stage Right 15" open box are still in stock next time a sale/coupon comes along I'll probably jump on them (unless I find a good deal on some used Synergy or BIC Formula bookshelfs in the meantime). Otherwise, the Behringers and Mackies are just out of my price range... looking to stay around $150 for a pair given these will be used 4 or 5 times per month at most.

Anyone have any opinion of the Refrence R-15M? It seems to check all the boxes and can be had in the $100-$130/pair range used. Might even be able to find some RB-61s for $150 as well. I'd love to find the original RB-8 but availability seems to be slim to none.

BenQ TK800 | Silver Ticket 106" 16:9 1.0 Grey | Marantz SR6011 | B&W P6 | B&W CDMC SE | Sonance .5 THX SUR | MCM In-Ceiling Atmos | Ascendant Avalanche 12" in 6 ft^3 @ 18Hz w/ BASH 500w Plate Amp | Sony X800 | NVidia Shield TV Pro | XBox One 500gb | Nintendo Switch | Harmony Smart Control | SmartThings Hub | Google Home | AT&T Fiber 300 | YouTube TV | Netflix | HBO Now | Spotify

Last edited by Stephen Hopkins; 07-23-2019 at 06:51 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 07-23-2019, 07:04 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 252 Post(s)
Liked: 237
I've been using the Behringer B215XL in my garage for several years and I've been pretty happy with them. Here's a pair on Ebay for <$200. Here is a review by imagic. They would definitely benefit from a subwoofer though!

Mike
post #5 of 8 Old 07-23-2019, 07:08 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

That link is for a padded bag for the B215XL, not the speaker itself. Also, $150 is pretty much a line in the sand... I think subconsciously it's because that's what I paid for the KLHs 20 years ago, but I'm not willing to admit that's the reason on a conscious level yet.

It looks like my options are waiting for a Monoprice sale/coupon and hope open-box SR15s are still available (preferred), or go with some used Klipsch Synergy or older Reference bookshelfs in the short term.

post #6 of 8 Old 07-23-2019, 07:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked: 407
Not as efficient but you could get four. One for each corner. Sony core bookshelf speakers at $75 a pair.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/sony-co...E&gclsrc=aw.ds
post #7 of 8 Old 07-24-2019, 05:12 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2518 Post(s)
Liked: 2149
Put together two of these?
https://www.diysoundgroup.com/home-a...ensations.html
Michael

Did you really need to quote that entire post in your reply?
Welcome to AVS - Get out while you still can!
Don't guess, measure: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/91-au...l#post22789786
post #8 of 8 Old 07-24-2019, 09:19 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Four Cores isn't a terrible idea because I could wire each pair in series and get a 4ohm load, which would get more power from the amp as well... unfortunately, I'd have to deal with a mounting spot for the second pair, which isn't trivial and they're also rear ported.

A pair of Overnight Sensations are extremely inefficient and combined with the Lepai amp, I don't think they'd have adequate SPL to provide sound for both the garage and the driveway with the garage door open.

The idea of four Cores does give me another idea... a pair of Cores and a pair of cheap Outdoor speakers mounted outside for the driveway. It would be more work and wiring, which isn't a deal-breaker... but I'd also probably need to add an A/B/AB switch so I wouldn't be blasting the neighborhood when I'm working in the garage and not outside. That said, the Cores would probably be efficient enough by themselves when the garage door is closed, and the power and combination of four speakers, increased power, and having speakers outside would probably be enough when the garage door is open.

I'm still leaning towards waiting for a Monoprice sale/coupon and hoping the open box SR15s are still available... but there are at least a few other options if that doesn't pan out.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Great Found Deals

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page