For all you DIY subwoofer guys looking for a killer deal on a killer amp - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 5Likes
  • 3 Post By Wayne A. Pflughaupt
  • 1 Post By CarlTPijay
  • 1 Post By rcsauvag

post #1 of 16 Old 04-24-2020, 05:39 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 542 Post(s)
Liked: 450
For all you DIY subwoofer guys looking for a killer deal on a killer amp

For all you DIY subwoofer guys looking for a killer deal on a killer amp, someone on ebay is selling a bunch of used Crest Pro7200 amplifiers.

For those not familiar with the brand, Crest Audio has been one of the premier bands of professional touring amplifiers for at least 40 years, built to take the most punishing environments, such as an outdoor summer jazz festival, and keep on working. AFAIK, they do not make any “budget friendly” products and typically new models are only available through pro audio dealers at list or near-list prices.

The seller on ebay has been auctioning off a large number of 7200 amps since the beginning of the year. They were originally asking over $500 for them, but the price has been steadily dropping along the way. Currently they are asking a mere $305 for these beauties + $50 shipping. That’s practically a give-away for an amp that originally listed for $1800!

These 7200 amps are EIA rated at 590 watts stereo @ 8-ohms, 1000 watts stereo @ 4-ohms, and 1650 watts stereo @ 2-ohms.

FTC ratings for 20 Hz – 20 kHz should be in the 500 watt range at 8-ohms, 900 watts at 4-ohms, and 1500 watts at 2-ohms.

Bridged power is 2000 watts @ 8-ohms and 3300 watts at 4-ohms.

I bought one for my bass guitar rig but unfortunately haven’t been able to play out with it yet, due to Corona madness. (I wish I had waited, I could have saved $75!) I contacted the seller ahead of time asking if these were touring amps or from an installation. I was told they were touring amps.

Typically I avoid pro audio gear that has toured, but you can see from the pictures that they are in very-good to excellent condition. The pictures you see at each auction page is the amp you will be buying.

I did connect the amp to my home practice rig which has a small EV ZX1-90 PA speaker, which has a sensitivity spec of 123 dB. With the gains all the way up and no input, the amp is dead silent. That’s very impressive for any amplifier connected to a high-sensitivity speaker.

The main caveat, the front-panel LEDs are ridiculously bright. I’m talking “light up the midnight sky” bright. I covered mine with 8% window film, and it’s still too bright for my taste. Depending on your installation situation, you may want to just cover them with black electrical tape (I recommend 3M).

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt
18Hurts, EndersShadow and Ward216 like this.

Equipment List
"A nice mid-fi system," according to an audiophile acquaintance.

Reviews and Tech Articles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 04-24-2020, 07:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Quoted: 1321 Post(s)
Liked: 1568
How loud are we talking fan wise, and do you know of anyone whose modded it to use quieter fans?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Setup | Custom MiniDSP Build | FS: If its For Sale, find it all (here)
Quote: There exists, for everyone, a sentence - a series of words - that has the power to destroy you. Another sentence exists, another series of words, that could heal you. If you're lucky you will get the 2nd, but you can be certain of getting the 1st. - Philip K. Dick
post #3 of 16 Old 04-25-2020, 06:08 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Shows delivery not til like mid June
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 Old 04-26-2020, 12:59 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EndersShadow View Post
How loud are we talking fan wise, and do you know of anyone whose modded it to use quieter fans?
Can’t comment on the fans yet since I haven’t had a chance to use it. However it does have two of them, which will move the same air at a slower speed than a single fan. And it's variable speed, so they won't be churning full-blast unless use demands. My previous Carvin amp had the same set-up, and I never heard a thing from it at the listening position.

Worse case if you don’t like it, you won’t have any trouble re-selling it. Just hang on to the nice box they're shipped in. In several months once these are all gone, they’ll be selling for higher prices, so you might even make a profit.

Probably should mention, despite how the pictures appear, the front panel is black brushed aluminum. It's quite a handsome amplifier.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Equipment List

Last edited by Wayne A. Pflughaupt; 04-27-2020 at 12:48 AM.
post #5 of 16 Old 04-26-2020, 01:00 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thisismyname123 View Post
Shows delivery not til like mid June
Wow, hadn’t noticed that. What a shame. Must be related to corona madness. Mine came in less than a week, but that was back in February.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Equipment List

post #6 of 16 Old 04-26-2020, 02:48 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked: 136
Auction says this at the top.

"This seller is currently away. If you make a purchase, there may be a delay in processing your order"

No worries, I grabbed two, Thanks for the heads up!

All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.
T. E. Lawrence
post #7 of 16 Old 04-26-2020, 03:35 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne A. Pflughaupt View Post
For all you DIY subwoofer guys looking for a killer deal on a killer amp, someone on ebay is selling a bunch of used Crest Pro7200 amplifiers.

For those not familiar with the brand, Crest Audio has been one of the premier bands of professional touring amplifiers for at least 40 years, built to take the most punishing environments, such as an outdoor summer jazz festival, and keep on working. AFAIK, they do not make any “budget friendly” products and typically new models are only available through pro audio dealers at list or near-list prices.

The seller on ebay has been auctioning off a large number of 7200 amps since the beginning of the year. They were originally asking over $500 for them, but the price has been steadily dropping along the way. Currently they are asking a mere $305 for these beauties + $50 shipping. That’s practically a give-away for an amp that originally listed for $1800!

These 7200 amps are EIA rated at 590 watts stereo @ 8-ohms, 1000 watts stereo @ 4-ohms, and 1650 watts stereo @ 2-ohms.

FTC ratings for 20 Hz – 20 kHz should be in the 500 watt range at 8-ohms, 900 watts at 4-ohms, and 1500 watts at 2-ohms.

Bridged power is 2000 watts @ 8-ohms and 3300 watts at 4-ohms.

I bought one for my bass guitar rig but unfortunately haven’t been able to play out with it yet, due to Corona madness. (I wish I had waited, I could have saved $75!) I contacted the seller ahead of time asking if these were touring amps or from an installation. I was told they were touring amps.

Typically I avoid pro audio gear that has toured, but you can see from the pictures that they are in very-good to excellent condition. The pictures you see at each auction page is the amp you will be buying.

I did connect the amp to my home practice rig which has a small EV ZX1-90 PA speaker, which has a sensitivity spec of 123 dB. With the gains all the way up and no input, the amp is dead silent. That’s very impressive for any amplifier connected to a high-sensitivity speaker.

The main caveat, the front-panel LEDs are ridiculously bright. I’m talking “light up the midnight sky” bright. I covered mine with 8% window film, and it’s still too bright for my taste. Depending on your installation situation, you may want to just cover them with black electrical tape (I recommend 3M).

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt
an impressive story. It was very interesting to read. Just like the story of my life when something costs a lot.But then,it becomes cheaper and cheaper. Like here with music equipment stuff!
post #8 of 16 Old 04-27-2020, 05:29 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 187 Post(s)
Liked: 119
What's the sellers name?
post #9 of 16 Old 04-28-2020, 07:43 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Anyone used for building front center and right as well or just subs?
post #10 of 16 Old 04-28-2020, 08:01 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Power is ridiculously high for the main channels, but the amp appears to be quiet enough (S/N) for front duties. Given Crest’s reputation I expect it’s clean enough as well, but I’m always suspicious of pro amps in that regard without a careful audition.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Equipment List

post #11 of 16 Old 04-30-2020, 04:08 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Well, they are all gone now! Anyone besides @Falonius pick one up?

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Equipment List

post #12 of 16 Old 04-30-2020, 04:31 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Falonious View Post
Auction says this at the top.

"This seller is currently away. If you make a purchase, there may be a delay in processing your order"

No worries, I grabbed two, Thanks for the heads up!
Not saying this is the case now, but I bought a JL Audio amp on Ebay where the seller was away for a week after closing. Then, I just ran into other issues from the seller. Anytime I'd try to contact the seller it'd be 2-3 days before I'd get a response and then after 30 days nothing. Ebay only protects for 30 days. Luckily, I paid with PayPal and PayPal protection policy is 90 days.

Once again, not saying this is the case here, but use caution anytime buying from delayed sellers. Ebay could be better on their protection policies.
post #13 of 16 Old 04-30-2020, 10:21 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 7
I bought 2 - hooking up tonight. I think I can run 4 FI IB3 18’s off one amp. Delivery showed June and the arrived today!
post #14 of 16 Old 04-30-2020, 07:03 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 7
All hooked up. Hell of a deal! Any thoughts on running a 2ohm stereo load? Think that may cause any long term durability issues, or since it’s rated for it, no problem?
post #15 of 16 Old 06-20-2020, 02:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 166 Post(s)
Quoted: 4471 Post(s)
Liked: 4080
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne A. Pflughaupt View Post
... I did connect the amp to my home practice rig which has a small EV ZX1-90 PA speaker, which has a sensitivity spec of 123 dB. ...
I've been intrigued by the EV ZX1-90 as a potential high sensitivity home theater/music speaker that will play loud without compression and distortion. I've read many dozens of comments on pro, DJ, electric piano, church sound and assorted forums describing the ZX1-90 sound as "hi-fi" and excellent on recorded music as well as live. Some people even report using them in place of studio monitors. Just curious if you've ever tried out your ZX1-90 against your home stereo speakers and how you think it compares when crossed to a sub.
post #16 of 16 Old 06-30-2020, 05:07 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

I didn't replied because the speaker only has a Speakon connection, so hooking it up to my home system is a hassle. However, on further consideration I think I'll be able to cobble together something to make it work. Give me a couple of days.

Cheers,
Wayne

Equipment List

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Great Found Deals

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page