Power Amp 5 channel - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 44 Old 04-27-2020, 06:47 AM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Richard Cohen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: NY
Posts: 455
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Power Amp 5 channel

https://www.outdoorspeakerdepot.com/...amplifier.html

There is an additional 10% off coupon for your first order.

It appears to be a rebadged version of this
http://www.outlawaudio.com/products/5000.html
jshillin and ipca204 like this.

The Lounge - fun place and nice people
http://www.thelounj.com/
Richard Cohen is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 44 Old 04-27-2020, 07:41 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Posts: 100
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 35
I can't find a lot of info on this amp... I'm honestly not sure I need to upgrade over my receiver yet either, but this peaked my curiosity.

Samsung
Onkyo & AudioSource
Emotiva, SVS & Polk Audio
jshillin is online now  
post #3 of 44 Old 04-27-2020, 10:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
kokishin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Silicon Valley
Posts: 2,351
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1431 Post(s)
Liked: 1536
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Cohen View Post
https://www.outdoorspeakerdepot.com/...amplifier.html

There is an additional 10% off coupon for your first order.

It appears to be a rebadged version of this
http://www.outlawaudio.com/products/5000.html
It's not a rebadge. It's a variant/upgrade(?) of the OA 5000 amp that OA gets from a Chinese manufacturer.

The specs are identical but the OA 5000 does not have XLR inputs like the XA5180.

However, OA provides a 5 year warranty on the 5000. OSD provides a 2 year warranty on the XA5180.

OA's normal price for the 5000 is $649. So the XA5180 at $500 is a hella deal.

Denon AVR-X6200W, Outlaw Audio 7125 Amp, Oppo UDP-203, Oppo BDP-103, Amazon FTV Stick 4K, Tivo Roamio Pro, Pioneer Elite Andrew Jones Dolby Atmos Enabled EFS-73 Fronts/EBS-73 Surrounds, Chane A2.4 Center, SVS SB-2000 Sub, Panasonic Plasma TH-58PX600
avsforum Members Atmos & Auro Configuration Spreadsheet
I'm just a caveman. Your modern world frightens and confuses me. RIP Phil Hartman

Last edited by kokishin; 04-27-2020 at 10:52 AM.
kokishin is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 44 Old 04-27-2020, 12:20 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Richard Cohen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: NY
Posts: 455
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 58
I think both are a Variation on this Carver

https://www.audioholics.com/trade-sh...-5-1-amplifier

After using the coupon it is $400 at Outdoor speaker
ipca204 likes this.

The Lounge - fun place and nice people
http://www.thelounj.com/
Richard Cohen is offline  
post #5 of 44 Old 04-27-2020, 03:11 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Posts: 100
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Looks like they just raised the price back to $500 before the 10% discount. I was getting ready to buy it...

Samsung
Onkyo & AudioSource
Emotiva, SVS & Polk Audio
jshillin is online now  
post #6 of 44 Old 04-27-2020, 08:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
zora's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Walla Walla, WA
Posts: 1,117
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked: 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Cohen View Post
I think both are a Variation on this Carver

https://www.audioholics.com/trade-sh...-5-1-amplifier

After using the coupon it is $400 at Outdoor speaker
Don’t think so, as the listed amp is rated for 120x5 into 8 ohms and 180x5 into 4.
zora is offline  
post #7 of 44 Old 04-28-2020, 05:16 AM
Advanced Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 767
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 420 Post(s)
Liked: 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by jshillin View Post
Looks like they just raised the price back to $500 before the 10% discount. I was getting ready to buy it...
so the extra $50 soured the deal? for that price point there is no way you are going to find a brand new amp with these specs and a warranty for two years..
ipca204 is offline  
post #8 of 44 Old 04-28-2020, 06:39 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Posts: 100
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipca204 View Post
so the extra $50 soured the deal? for that price point there is no way you are going to find a brand new amp with these specs and a warranty for two years..
Yeah, enough to make me look at some used amps. The OSD is slightly larger in chassis size than what I was looking for. In order for me to to 17" deep like this one, I have to do a lot of work...

Would $375 be too much to pay for a 6 month old Emotiva A-700 compared to this amp?

Samsung
Onkyo & AudioSource
Emotiva, SVS & Polk Audio
jshillin is online now  
post #9 of 44 Old 04-28-2020, 06:51 AM
Advanced Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 767
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 420 Post(s)
Liked: 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by jshillin View Post
Yeah, enough to make me look at some used amps. The OSD is slightly larger in chassis size than what I was looking for. In order for me to to 17" deep like this one, I have to do a lot of work...

Would $375 be too much to pay for a 6 month old Emotiva A-700 compared to this amp?
nope. That's a great price and even if you were to sell it down the road you won;t take much of a hit, if any..
ipca204 is offline  
post #10 of 44 Old 04-28-2020, 07:02 AM
Member
 
jrampoldi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 24
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 4
these seem to be similar:

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=15593

https://www.wwsp.com/ati/at4005.htm

from Audioholics:

"According to Monoprice, ALL Monolith amplifiers are built in the same Montebello California based facility that ATI builds their other amplifiers too."

Last edited by jrampoldi; 04-28-2020 at 07:06 AM.
jrampoldi is online now  
post #11 of 44 Old 04-28-2020, 07:49 AM
Senior Member
 
mapson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 348
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I looked at the OSD website, they have a AMP300 and AMP200 that's basically just like Audiosource's line up.
mapson is online now  
post #12 of 44 Old 04-28-2020, 04:19 PM
Member
 
jrampoldi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 24
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 4
15% off with code STAYHOME15 with free shipping & no tax for me (so $425). i would buy it but i own the same amp without xlr. this is my amp:
https://www.wwsp.com/ati/stereophile...ometheater.htm

this seems to be comparable for $500
https://emotiva.com/collections/amps/products/a-500

Last edited by jrampoldi; 04-28-2020 at 04:43 PM.
jrampoldi is online now  
post #13 of 44 Old 04-29-2020, 05:36 PM
Advanced Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 767
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 420 Post(s)
Liked: 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrampoldi View Post
15% off with code STAYHOME15 with free shipping & no tax for me (so $425). i would buy it but i own the same amp without xlr. this is my amp:
https://www.wwsp.com/ati/stereophile...ometheater.htm

this seems to be comparable for $500
https://emotiva.com/collections/amps/products/a-500
ummm, your amp is nothing like the osd one, dude...
and the osd is a way better amp than the listed emo..
ipca204 is offline  
post #14 of 44 Old 04-29-2020, 07:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
srw1000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 3,091
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 405 Post(s)
Liked: 299
The Q&A section of the OSD website states that they are the global distributor for the Carver brand name and that this is the same as the Carver TL/5274 or Carver HTA5A. They also provide a link to the Carver HTA5A model that was sold on Amazon, but is no longer available. I'm guessing that the market for five-channel amps has fallen to the point where there isn't much demand compared to the seven-channel models, so these are being clearanced out.

These are made in China, so they wouldn't be the same as either the Outlaw or Monolith amps.

I couldn't find any reviews on either of the Carver models, though.

Scott

srw1000 is offline  
post #15 of 44 Old 04-29-2020, 08:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
zora's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Walla Walla, WA
Posts: 1,117
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked: 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by srw1000 View Post
The Q&A section of the OSD website states that they are the global distributor for the Carver brand name and that this is the same as the Carver TL/5274 or Carver HTA5A. They also provide a link to the Carver HTA5A model that was sold on Amazon, but is no longer available. I'm guessing that the market for five-channel amps has fallen to the point where there isn't much demand compared to the seven-channel models, so these are being clearanced out.

These are made in China, so they wouldn't be the same as either the Outlaw or Monolith amps.

I couldn't find any reviews on either of the Carver models, though.

Scott
The specs for the OSD and the Carver are very different.
zora is offline  
post #16 of 44 Old 04-29-2020, 09:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
srw1000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 3,091
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 405 Post(s)
Liked: 299
Quote:
Originally Posted by zora View Post
The specs for the OSD and the Carver are very different.
Sorry, just posting the answer from their Q&A:

Q

Is this made by Carver amps? I ask the question because this OSD amp is very similar in all aspects ( except pricing) to the Carver HTA 5A 5 channel amp. Not only similar in the front pannel, but rear pannel, interior H design, even the way the wires and boards are position.
Customer Service • 12/17/2019, 2:17:43 PM
A

Hi Erick: We are now the Global distributors for The CARVER brand name. The factory who owns the brand name also built the unit for us as well. We have the XA5180 on special to help move inventory. Otherwise, it should be the same price as the CARVER. TL/5274
True, the power output is different, but they do appear to be very similar. May have been a design based off of the Carver with a slight adjustment in parts.

Why they would say that they're identical I can't answer.

Scott

srw1000 is offline  
post #17 of 44 Old 04-30-2020, 04:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Wayne A. Pflughaupt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Corpus Christi, TX USA
Posts: 3,425
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 526 Post(s)
Liked: 437
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipca204 View Post
so the extra $50 soured the deal? for that price point there is no way you are going to find a brand new amp with these specs and a warranty for two years..
Has anyone seen a noise spec? I can't find one. I'm always suspicious of any amplifier that doesn't publish a S/N spec.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt


Equipment List
"A nice mid-fi system," according to an audiophile acquaintance.

Reviews and Tech Articles
Wayne A. Pflughaupt is offline  
post #18 of 44 Old 04-30-2020, 05:10 AM
Advanced Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 767
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 420 Post(s)
Liked: 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by srw1000 View Post
The Q&A section of the OSD website states that they are the global distributor for the Carver brand name and that this is the same as the Carver TL/5274 or Carver HTA5A. They also provide a link to the Carver HTA5A model that was sold on Amazon, but is no longer available. I'm guessing that the market for five-channel amps has fallen to the point where there isn't much demand compared to the seven-channel models, so these are being clearanced out.

These are made in China, so they wouldn't be the same as either the Outlaw or Monolith amps.

I couldn't find any reviews on either of the Carver models, though.

Scott
The outlaw 5 channel IS made in China.
ipca204 is offline  
post #19 of 44 Old 04-30-2020, 05:23 AM
Advanced Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 767
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 420 Post(s)
Liked: 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne A. Pflughaupt View Post
Has anyone seen a noise spec? I can't find one. I'm always suspicious of any amplifier that doesn't publish a S/N spec.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt
From the linked manual: (also matching 100% of the published Outlaw specs)

Power Output 120 watts RMS x 5 (all channels
driven simultaneously into 8 ohms
from 20Hz–20kHz with less than
0.02% total harmonic distortion,
A-weight filter).
180 watts RMS x 5 (all channels
driven simultaneously into 4 ohms
from 20Hz–20kHz with less than
0.03% total harmonic distortion,
A-weight filter).
Frequency Response 20Hz -20kHz +/- 0.5 dB at rated
output (120W)
Total Harmonic Distortion Less than 0.02% at rated output
(THD) (120W), all frequencies, less
than 0.01% at 1kHz
Intermodulation Distortion (IMD) Less than 0.05% from 250mV to
output
full rated output (120W)
Filter Capacitance Four 6800μF Caps per channel
SPECIFICATIONS

Number of Output Devices 4 per channel
Power Bandwidth 5Hz - 54kHz +0/-3 dB
Damping Factor Greater than 105 from 10Hz to
400Hz
Crosstalk Greater than -70dB from 20Hz –
20kHz
Gain Voltage gain of 29dB
Input Impedance 40k ohms
Input Sensitivity 1.00 Volt
Remote Trigger Voltage 9 - 24 Volts DC at 5 milliamperes or
greater
Dimensions including
feet (HxWxD)
6.0” x 17.0” x 16.75”
Weight 50 lbs
Power Requirements 120VAC, ±3%, 50Hz - 60Hz
1500 watts maximum
ipca204 is offline  
post #20 of 44 Old 04-30-2020, 05:30 AM
Advanced Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 767
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 420 Post(s)
Liked: 212
and just for a "did you know" moment. This Amplifier Class H design is also used in the entire Emotiva Gen 3 line of amplifiers. Some people love 'em, some not so much. It does help immensely with the weight though!
ipca204 is offline  
post #21 of 44 Old 04-30-2020, 07:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Wayne A. Pflughaupt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Corpus Christi, TX USA
Posts: 3,425
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 526 Post(s)
Liked: 437
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipca204 View Post
From the linked manual: (also matching 100% of the published Outlaw specs)
As I said, there is no noise spec. Not good.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt


Equipment List
"A nice mid-fi system," according to an audiophile acquaintance.

Reviews and Tech Articles
Wayne A. Pflughaupt is offline  
post #22 of 44 Old 04-30-2020, 07:47 AM
Member
 
drumminj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Seattle
Posts: 35
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 14
The internals look very similar to the Outlaw 5000 (as do the speaker terminals), but the front plate looks more like this guy: https://emotiva.com/products/a-5175
drumminj is offline  
post #23 of 44 Old 04-30-2020, 07:57 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Posts: 100
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Has anyone bought one to test it out yet?

I had it in my cart to buy it twice this week, but had a $500 vet bill yesterday, so that put it on hold.

Samsung
Onkyo & AudioSource
Emotiva, SVS & Polk Audio
jshillin is online now  
post #24 of 44 Old 04-30-2020, 08:06 AM
Advanced Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 767
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 420 Post(s)
Liked: 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by jshillin View Post
Has anyone bought one to test it out yet?

I had it in my cart to buy it twice this week, but had a $500 vet bill yesterday, so that put it on hold.
just head on over to the outlaw sight and read up! It's the same damn amp people, just with XLR and bling leds!
Richard Cohen likes this.
ipca204 is offline  
post #25 of 44 Old 04-30-2020, 11:29 AM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Richard Cohen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: NY
Posts: 455
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 58
I bought it and have no complaints other than the weight. 😀 It is quiet and powerful and the trigger works well.

Came very well packaged. It runs nice and cool

The Lounge - fun place and nice people
http://www.thelounj.com/

Last edited by Richard Cohen; 04-30-2020 at 11:33 AM.
Richard Cohen is offline  
post #26 of 44 Old 04-30-2020, 11:32 AM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Richard Cohen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: NY
Posts: 455
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Dup post

The Lounge - fun place and nice people
http://www.thelounj.com/
Richard Cohen is offline  
post #27 of 44 Old 04-30-2020, 11:37 AM
Senior Member
 
mapson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 348
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Cohen View Post
I bought it and have no complaints other than the weight. 😀 It is quiet and powerful and the trigger works well.

Came very well packaged. It runs nice and cool

You shouldn't have complaint about the weight. Heavy is good. If it were 15 lbs, then you should complain about the weight.



Enjoy!
mapson is online now  
post #28 of 44 Old 04-30-2020, 02:46 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I bought the OSD XA5180 after considering the Outlaw, Emotiva, and others, my first amp ever so I have nothing to compare it to so I roll the Dice and have it hook up for about 3 weeks now, I'm using for my front 3 speakers and Bi-Amp the left and right front, It Came well package, It's Heavy(50lbs.) and its stays cool to the touch, much cooler than my Marantz SR6013 and so for the money It's a great Amp, one final note it was shipped as a New model #A5500 "Black" and it doesn't come with a trigger cable.
Eddie Davis is offline  
post #29 of 44 Old 04-30-2020, 02:56 PM
Advanced Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 767
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 420 Post(s)
Liked: 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie Davis View Post
I bought the OSD XA5180 after considering the Outlaw, Emotiva, and others, my first amp ever so I have nothing to compare it to so I roll the Dice and have it hook up for about 3 weeks now, I'm using for my front 3 speakers and Bi-Amp the left and right front, It Came well package, It's Heavy(50lbs.) and its stays cool to the touch, much cooler than my Marantz SR6013 and so for the money It's a great Amp, one final note it was shipped as a New model #A5500 "Black" and it doesn't come with a trigger cable.
ooohhhhh. i saw that faceplate! I think it looks better than the old one!

Here's a review of the Outlaw variant, I would expect similar reviews of this one..
https://www.audioholics.com/amplifie...0/measurements

Last edited by ipca204; 05-01-2020 at 06:16 AM.
ipca204 is offline  
post #30 of 44 Old 05-03-2020, 12:44 PM
Member
 
DrJayDub's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Central IL
Posts: 179
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Cohen View Post
https://www.outdoorspeakerdepot.com/...amplifier.html

There is an additional 10% off coupon for your first order.

It appears to be a rebadged version of this
http://www.outlawaudio.com/products/5000.html
Folks, the Outlaw Audio 5000 is a class A/B amp, the one linked in the OP is a class H design. I am pretty sure these aren’t the same amplifier.

Yup, I got stuff...
LG OLED65C7P, LG 55EG9100
Marantz SR6012, Classe Sigma Amp5, Oppo BDP-203
PSB Synchrony One mains, Synchrony two center and surrounds, 2x SVS SB12-NSD
XBox One X
DrJayDub is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Great Found Deals

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off