Memorial Day Special: $100 off VAVA 4K Projector, Fast Free Shipping - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 5Likes
  • 2 Post By Dean McEnaney
  • 1 Post By Viktor Nacht
  • 1 Post By Archaea
  • 1 Post By imagic

post #1 of 13 Old 05-21-2020, 07:10 AM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Mentioned: 468 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9484 Post(s)
Liked: 16840
Memorial Day Special: $100 off VAVA 4K Projector, Fast Free Shipping

Nothing upgrades your home entertainment experience like a 4K projector. Go beyond what any TV can offer and experience shows, movies, video games plus sports on up to 150" diagonal screen with the VAVA 4K UHD Ultra-Short Throw Smart Laser Projector TV.

This Memorial Day weekend you can save $100 and get fast free delivery guaranteed on the VAVA 4K UST Laser projector that will change the way you experience home entertainment.

Use the code MEMORIAL100 at checkout to get the $100 discount.

SHOP NOW

Click this link to read more...

We are committed to finding, researching, and recommending the best products. We earn commissions from purchases you make using the retail links in our product reviews. Learn more about how this works here.

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum

Last edited by imagic; 05-22-2020 at 01:29 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 05-22-2020, 10:43 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Thats a very misleading picture.
It the product says up to a 150" screen
and that looks more like 300" to me
properbostonian and Jedi940 like this.
post #3 of 13 Old 05-22-2020, 11:01 AM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean McEnaney View Post
Welcome to the forum, Dean. I see you joined today, so it's an honor to host your first post.

For the sake of argument, if you had the lights off you certainly could pull the projector back and enjoy a picture that is larger than what the specs list.

But I do have other photos I can use, so I went ahead and swapped that out. Nevertheless, I do believe that you could do what is pictured there, it just requires some extra space between the wall the projector, which is the case in that image (that was provided by VAVA, fwiw).

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum

Last edited by imagic; 05-22-2020 at 11:09 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 05-22-2020, 11:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 871 Post(s)
Liked: 254
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean McEnaney View Post
Just as interesting is the marketing on their site comparing 65", 100", and 150". I guess their rulers are not linear.
post #5 of 13 Old 05-22-2020, 11:12 AM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottAvery View Post
Just as interesting is the marketing on their site comparing 65", 100", and 150". I guess their rulers are not linear.
I don't know if I'd call it interesting, IMO. I would certainly call it marketing.

65" is a pretty standard TV size. The graphic labels a 65 inch screen as a "conventional TV" which I guess is code for nonlinear rulers, if you say so. I do learn something new every day.

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum
post #6 of 13 Old 05-22-2020, 01:13 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Not much of a deal, give us something like 500 off then we may jump.

Last edited by calvinwalfred; 05-22-2020 at 01:35 PM.
post #7 of 13 Old 05-22-2020, 03:43 PM

Liked: 11
A couple of very ignorant questions because I've been out of the game for so long:

Would this work in a daytime setting? I've been waiting for the new Epsons to come out for this reason. My wife is impressed so far, haha.

And what would be a good screen if you wanted to get the full 150"?

Thanks!

V
post #8 of 13 Old 05-22-2020, 04:10 PM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viktor Nacht View Post
A couple of very ignorant questions because I've been out of the game for so long:

Would this work in a daytime setting? I've been waiting for the new Epsons to come out for this reason. My wife is impressed so far, haha.

And what would be a good screen if you wanted to get the full 150"?

Thanks!

V
If by daytime you mean open windows, sun shining through... not really. You'll see something, but it will be immensely washed out compared to a real TV.

If you have some blinds, you're in a much better position.

OK, screens... you must use a UST-specific screen if you are going to employ an ALR (ambient light reflecting screen) all of which is a necessity for daytime use.

If you have blinds and do a bit of light control/dimming then you can treat it like a regular projector in terms of screen choice, again just don't use a "regular" ALR screen, that will give you a very dim picture because it will actually reject the light from the projector.

I do not have the personal knowledge or experience to make specific recommendations, I'm hoping that some members here can offer some additional assistance.

Anyhow, one thing to remember is that the bigger you go, the dimmer the picture. So if you go for the max 150" screen, the ambient light threshold where it starts to look good will be a little bit dimmer.

Of course the reward is that when you do dim the lights, the resulting picture looks like a high quality TV at that size.

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum
post #9 of 13 Old 05-22-2020, 05:11 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagic View Post
If by daytime you mean open windows, sun shining through... not really. You'll see something, but it will be immensely washed out compared to a real TV.

If you have some blinds, you're in a much better position.

OK, screens... you must use a UST-specific screen if you are going to employ an ALR (ambient light reflecting screen) all of which is a necessity for daytime use.

If you have blinds and do a bit of light control/dimming then you can treat it like a regular projector in terms of screen choice, again just don't use a "regular" ALR screen, that will give you a very dim picture because it will actually reject the light from the projector.

I do not have the personal knowledge or experience to make specific recommendations, I'm hoping that some members here can offer some additional assistance.

Anyhow, one thing to remember is that the bigger you go, the dimmer the picture. So if you go for the max 150" screen, the ambient light threshold where it starts to look good will be a little bit dimmer.

Of course the reward is that when you do dim the lights, the resulting picture looks like a high quality TV at that size.
Thank you! That helps. My current TV is an old 92" Mitsubishi DLP. Not sure it can worse than that in daylight.

V
imagic likes this.
post #10 of 13 Old 05-23-2020, 09:21 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4162 Post(s)
Liked: 3982
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viktor Nacht View Post
Thank you! That helps. My current TV is an old 92" Mitsubishi DLP. Not sure it can worse than that in daylight.

V
Yes it can. A projector, any projector, won't look good with ambient light. The projector can't throw dark, it can only throw light --- and the place the light is being thrown won't be a dark shadowy plastic screen like your DLP TV uses. This means the blackest the image can be is what the wall or projector screen looks like with no projector image on it in the ambient light of your room. So in ambient light there is no black at all.
Contrast is one of the most important characteristics for a quality viewing experience. Certainly a projector will look worse than a DLP TV in the same moderate amount of ambient light. That's why you see most people using projectors paint their rooms dark colors and implement strict light control.

This is how a 4K projected image can look in ambient light

Also in regards to 300" size. You can't pull a projector back indefinitely and just make the image bigger, There is a zoom and focus limit to the lens - which means if you pull back beyond what the lens focal length is then it'll start getting blurry. If the projector lens is made for 150" max size, and you try to show a 300" size it'll both be too dim, and a blurry mess.

Here's someone using a black screen saying you can use your projector during the day with his black ALR screen.

Well I guess technically you can...... But no, I would not. That looks horrible, and it'd look far worse without a black ALR screen in that much ambient light.

imagic likes this.

Archaea's 9.8.4 Home Theater Room
208, 1" tweeters | 52, 5" woofers | 8, 18" subwoofers

Last edited by Archaea; 05-23-2020 at 09:34 AM.
post #11 of 13 Old 05-23-2020, 01:41 PM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
Yes it can. A projector, any projector, won't look good with ambient light. The projector can't throw dark, it can only throw light --- and the place the light is being thrown won't be a dark shadowy plastic screen like your DLP TV uses. This means the blackest the image can be is what the wall or projector screen looks like with no projector image on it in the ambient light of your room. So in ambient light there is no black at all.
Contrast is one of the most important characteristics for a quality viewing experience. Certainly a projector will look worse than a DLP TV in the same moderate amount of ambient light. That's why you see most people using projectors paint their rooms dark colors and implement strict light control.

This is how a 4K projected image can look in ambient light

Also in regards to 300" size. You can't pull a projector back indefinitely and just make the image bigger, There is a zoom and focus limit to the lens - which means if you pull back beyond what the lens focal length is then it'll start getting blurry. If the projector lens is made for 150" max size, and you try to show a 300" size it'll both be too dim, and a blurry mess.

Here's someone using a black screen saying you can use your projector during the day with his black ALR screen.

Well I guess technically you can...... But no, I would not. That looks horrible, and it'd look far worse without a black ALR screen in that much ambient light.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tCEWQ9mww7Q
Everything you say is accurate regarding screens, ambient light and contrast. All good advice. IMO a UST ALR screen and a RP screen perform similarly.

Regarding focus, these UST units can focus over a broader range than the screen sizes they are spec'd for. At least the VAVA and the Optoma are made that way. So 300" would be quite dim, but it would not necessarily be out of focus.
Archaea likes this.

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum
post #12 of 13 Old 05-24-2020, 12:00 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 2
I've heard this lags pretty bad with video games, has anyone ever used one? I've been REALLY wanting to buy one since they were on Kickstarter (or whatever funding site they were on) but that's definitely a deal breaker for me.
post #13 of 13 Old Yesterday, 01:14 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I have a new Vava. I can recommend it and I'm coming from a dedicated HT in the prior house. The screen size is infinite (but listed as up to 150") as the projector location from the screen dictates size. I was putting off going to a conventional throw large format projected image as I did not want to get into the ordeal of cutting holes in my drywall and running an HDMI cable and power to a new ceiling mounted projector in my finished basement. Pluses; fan noise is further away at the screen, not over your head, bright image for daytime use, 4000K laser image is very respectable and is 3D capable. I don't game, so lag is a non-issue. It's perfect for my situation.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BasementHT-sm.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	425.9 KB
ID:	2732442  

Why go out to a movie theater?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Great Found Deals

Tags
4k projector , vava