TWiT Live Special: NAB 2015 Day 1 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4Likes
  • 3 Post By Scott Wilkinson

post #1 of 8 Old 04-18-2015, 12:45 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1881 Post(s)
Liked: 4905
TWiT Live Special: NAB 2015 Day 1

In this video, I interview representatives from a variety of companies about what they were highlighting at the National Association of Broadcasters (NAB) convention last week in Las Vegas, NV, including Arri's HDR-capable cameras, JVC's HDR demo, Canon's soon-to-be-available and prototype HDR monitors, Fraunhofer's light-field camera technology, Sony's HDR OLED monitor and prototype consumer TV, Christie's laser-illuminated digital-cinema projector, SMPTE standards, Dolby's HDR monitors and Vizio's Reference Series with Dolby Vision HDR, Fraunhofer's MPEG-H immersive and interactive audio system, DTS:X, and more.

Like AVS Forum on Facebook
Follow AVS Forum on Twitter
+1 AVS Forum on Google+
robdman, wxman and jhughy2010 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 04-18-2015, 03:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 563 Post(s)
Liked: 533
Scott, were you able to get a DTS:X demo to comment?
post #3 of 8 Old 04-19-2015, 03:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 2987 Post(s)
Liked: 2826
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 04-19-2015, 05:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2220 Post(s)
Liked: 2825
Scott..

You specifically ask about upmixing of 2.0, 5.1 and 7.1 legacy content to DTS:X.

The response from the DTS rep was that if you take a 7.1 channel mix it will render to the heights.. he specifically twice mentions 7.1..

Seems a weird omission, but they already have DTS:Neo X... so maybe indeed you can only go to heights with native 7.1 content..

At the 1:21:53 mark..

Can you get confirmation and follow up on that?
post #5 of 8 Old 04-20-2015, 07:13 AM

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Very Nice show scott, really looking forward to HDR to migrate into TV and projector world. I was more impressed with DTS:X related comments compared to actual press release. It seems they are very clear on their vision and focusing more on content producers and media release and therefore more likely to succeed. Dolby ATMOS seems to be lacking that drive- very limited content for now. Great job with the show!
post #6 of 8 Old 04-20-2015, 09:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2220 Post(s)
Liked: 2825
Quote:
Originally Posted by drriddhish View Post
Very Nice show scott, really looking forward to HDR to migrate into TV and projector world. I was more impressed with DTS:X related comments compared to actual press released . It seems they are very clear on their vision and focusing more on content producers and media release and therefore more likely to succeed. Dolby ATMOS seems to be lacking that drive- very limited content for now. Great job with the show!
I'm curious as to how they were more focused than Dolby on content with zero announcements so far.

Both formats will be slow to market until UHD BR gains momentum. But I'm just curious what in that interview sets them apart from Dolby has said in public?

Just interested in your viewpoint.. .
post #7 of 8 Old 04-20-2015, 11:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by FilmMixer View Post
I'm curious as to how they were more focused than Dolby on content with zero announcements so far.

Both formats will be slow to market until UHD BR gains momentum. But I'm just curious what in that interview sets them apart from Dolby has said in public?

Just interested in your viewpoint.. .
Hi Filmmixer, good to talk to you again. I don't mean to answer for drriddhish, but from what I have read and heard (correct me if I am wrong), there seems to be a bit more flexibility with DTS-X. I believe that DTS-X will allow you to take advantage of the object based sound whether you have a 5.1, 7.1 up to 11.1 channels, without the need for ceiling speakers in a 5.1 or 7.1 set up. Where as, I believe you need the ceiling speakers (2 or 4) depending on your set up, to get the object based sound from Dolby Atmos.

If I understood correctly this is a big plus for DTS X. Like many here at AVS I will eventually up grade my pre pro, but to add another 2 or 4 speakers to my set up .....not happening.

Please let me know your thoughts.

Paul

7.1.4 Home Theatre
LG 65" C8 OLED
Samsung HW-N950 7.1.4 Atmos/DTS-X System
post #8 of 8 Old 04-21-2015, 07:08 AM

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 53
@FilmMixer It was more of a sense based on interview. I feel like commercially DTS is more aware of limitation fro consumer side (current speaker placement, cost of new speakers and AVR) and manufacturing side (AVR processing and amp power) and Studio side(free dts codec) vs Dolby is requiring more from consumer(new speaker placement, wide dispersion and good off axis response on ceiling speakers, ear level surrounds),more from manufacturer (licensing) and studios (propitiatory codec and licensing).
Which format will win is eventually which has more content. And ATMOS having only 25 movie discs available while 200 released in theaters, tells me there is something not clicking behind the scenes. But who knows..this is exciting times either way..I am just waiting for dust to settle..before upgrading my setup for immersive object based sound.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply AVS Forum® Podcasts

Tags
frontpage , nab 2015

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page