Value Electronics TV Shootout 2016 - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 9Likes

post #31 of 43 Old 07-07-2016, 02:57 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7355 Post(s)
Liked: 8211
Quote:
Originally Posted by DDailey View Post
Could you guys maybe come up with something other than "shootout" - so completely tone deaf in light of America's gun violence! I guess I should expect nothing less from a bunch of old white guys!
This is an unbelievable post. First off, it's racist in nature, 'old white guys'? Really?

Second, the correct name for this event is, "Value Electronics TV Shootout Evaluation Event", which is a trademarked name. This information comes directly to me from Robert. He like I found this post quite hurtful.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 43 Old 07-08-2016, 07:06 AM

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 4297 Post(s)
Liked: 3017
Quote:
Could you guys maybe come up with something other than "shootout" - so completely tone deaf in light of America's gun violence! I guess I should expect nothing less from a bunch of old white guys!
I'd suggest you take that comment back or we're going to come over there with our scary looking dual purpose cane assault rifles and show you what a real shootout is.

j/k
Ken Ross likes this.

Last edited by Stereodude; 07-08-2016 at 07:10 AM.
post #33 of 43 Old 07-08-2016, 10:57 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 132
Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stereodude View Post
I'd suggest you take that comment back or we're going to come over there with our scary looking dual purpose cane assault rifles and show you what a real shootout is.

j/k
Thank you for validating my post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 43 Old 07-08-2016, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Thank you for validating my post!
Thank you for proving you have no sense of humor.
post #35 of 43 Old 07-08-2016, 03:53 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 132
Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Ross View Post
This is an unbelievable post. First off, it's racist in nature, 'old white guys'? Really?

Second, the correct name for this event is, "Value Electronics TV Shootout Evaluation Event", which is a trademarked name. This information comes directly to me from Robert. He like I found this post quite hurtful.
Would you like me to call the waaaaamulance
post #36 of 43 Old 07-08-2016, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Would you like me to call the waaaaamulance
Did Ken invade your safe space? Are you feeling uncomfortable?
post #37 of 43 Old 07-11-2016, 10:52 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Please, everyone, don't laugh (well, ok, go ahead) but i wanted to ask for a little more information about the ol' Pioneer KURO they had at the shootout. As KURO owners, we're still very happy watching TV and movies from the usual variety of sources, namely Comcast/Xfinity cable, Xfinity watch-online, HBO Go (also online), Amazon Prime video online, Netflix and our trusty Sony BDP-S790 Blu-ray player. As i recall, in the podcast discussion of the shootout it was mentioned that the Pioneer KURO set was included in the 1080p comparisons and that it held up pretty well, or words to that effect. Also, there was mention of the fact that it has faded a bit, i think. I'd be interested to know if it has faded significantly and how much it has been used over the years. It would also be nice to know a little more about how it fared against the brand spanking new TVs in the shootout during darkened room conditions. Cheers!
post #38 of 43 Old 07-11-2016, 10:58 AM
Mark Henninger

Mentioned: 430 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9057 Post(s)
Liked: 15965
Quote:
Originally Posted by southleft View Post
Please, everyone, don't laugh (well, ok, go ahead) but i wanted to ask for a little more information about the ol' Pioneer KURO they had at the shootout. As KURO owners, we're still very happy watching TV and movies from the usual variety of sources, namely Comcast/Xfinity cable, Xfinity watch-online, HBO Go (also online), Amazon Prime video online, Netflix and our trusty Sony BDP-S790 Blu-ray player. As i recall, in the podcast discussion of the shootout it was mentioned that the Pioneer KURO set was included in the 1080p comparisons and that it held up pretty well, or words to that effect. Also, there was mention of the fact that it has faded a bit, i think. I'd be interested to know if it has faded significantly and how much it has been used over the years. It would also be nice to know a little more about how it fared against the brand spanking new TVs in the shootout during darkened room conditions. Cheers!
It's still great with BT.709 content, highly accurate. Calibtated, it kept up with the new gear. It was the champ for off-axis viewing and motion resolution.
post #39 of 43 Old 07-11-2016, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imagic View Post
It's still great with BT.709 content, highly accurate. Calibtated, it kept up with the new gear. It was the champ for off-axis viewing and motion resolution.
Thanks, that coincides with our home viewing experience. Probably everyone here is familiar with the KURO's good color rendition, black level detail, handling of fast motion and the ability to maintain it all while viewing off-axis. Our set is powered on for about 16 hours a day because i use it as a monitor for my living room PC. Sometimes when i get up to do other stuff the display is set to Off in order to reduce the generous heat output of the plasma panel, but the display is probably active/On at least 12 hours or more displaying photo slideshows or playing music with "visualisations" even when i'm not sitting there. This suggests that Pioneer used high quality power supplies and plasma panels in the making of their TVs. Every couple of years i put the set through its paces on some HD calibration images and, touch wood, it hasn't required any adjustment except for a one-click increase in Brightness on my daytime viewing profile (maybe it was a really, really sunny day when i ran the test?). Anyway, ours does not appear to have faded in any noticeable way. Let's hope it keeps on that way for a good while.

Some friends got a 55-inch Vizio M-series TV a few months ago. We sat down and watched a bit of TV, some Pirates of the Caribbean on Blu-ray and a bit of Netflix 4K stuff. Have to say it was very enjoyable and for the eight or nine hundred dollars they paid at Costco they got a darned nice TV. They asked about calibration and i suggested that they use the TV for three or four months on various picture pre-set profiles before fiddling with any calibration process. After watching for three months they are very happy with it on the Movie and Standard/Normal pre-sets (for night time and daytime, of course) and feel there's no need for calibration. I haven't sat down to closely scrutinise the image quality, color, etc.
post #40 of 43 Old 07-24-2016, 01:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 281 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Since plasma is no longer manufactured, and OLED has been shown to be the current superior technology, why was there only one OLED in the contest? Thanks.
post #41 of 43 Old 07-24-2016, 01:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 281 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by southleft View Post

Weren't the latest plasmas; e.g., Panasonic and Samsung, shown to be superior than the Kuro in past shootouts? If so, then if decide to include a plasma it should be those and not the Kuro.
post #42 of 43 Old 07-24-2016, 04:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 4296 Post(s)
Liked: 3715
No, they were not. The Pioneer still bested them both in the all-important black level measurement.

As to why there was only one OLED, that is because there is only one manufacturer, and that manuf. uses the same panel across its OLED model lineup.
post #43 of 43 Old 07-24-2016, 05:12 PM

Someone not on this forum asked me how we could see the picture on our Pioneer with the shades open during the day since "all the reviews say they don't have enough brightness in a well-lit room". I told him that if you select either the SPORT or DYNAMIC pre-set the picture is plenty bright. Also told him it's not always just the room that's well-lit, but that seemed to go right over his head; and didn't bother explaining the difference between brightness and contrast, either.

Regarding daytime viewing, a friend who has a 50-inch LG LED/LCD that's about three years old still prefers watching football on Sunday afternoon at our house. He says that fast motion and detail are better on the nine year-old Pioneer. I won't argue with that except for watching NFL games on CBS. On zoomed-in fast action the images are often macro-blocky/pixelated. This does not occur on FOX or NBC NFL games.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply AVS Forum® Podcasts

Tags
Home Theater Geeks , value electronics tv shootout

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page