• 1 Post By Scott Wilkinson

post #1 of 3 Old 02-25-2017, 01:41 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1881 Post(s)
Liked: 4909
Inside Sony Technology

Philip Jones, Product Technology Manager for Sony Electronics, talks about some of the concepts and technologies used in the company's TVs. These include the importance of color volume in the world of high dynamic range (HDR), the perceptual effects of the point-spread function and the Hunt Effect, HDR10 and how some Sony TVs generate dynamic metadata from it, the addition of Dolby Vision to some Sony TVs thanks to the X1 Extreme processor, object-based HDR remastering of SDR content, Super Bit Mapping, dual-database image enhancement and noise reduction, Backlight Master Drive and Slim Backlight Drive backlighting systems, CLEDIS micro-LED display, Acoustic Surface audio on the A1E OLED, answers to chat-room questions, and more.

DanBa likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 02-28-2017, 08:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked: 99
I was hoping to hear a bit more about CLEDIS, it really sounds fascinating! Like, could it be used as a movie theater display? I wonder if we'll ever see an emissive screen technology used in theaters.
post #3 of 3 Old 03-07-2017, 08:32 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 617 Post(s)
Liked: 254
Regarding metadata, the Sony rep basically said the Sony's are only using the metadata to recognize that the source is HDR, and then they analyze each frame to achieve the same thing as dynamic metadata.

So to me, this makes the whole metadata thing a fiasco. We require a new standard for metadata, that no one really uses, and wasn't necessary in the first place. Now we have HDMI 2.1, which adds the dynamic metadata, and makes current displays obsolete.

I still haven't heard a good explanation on what one is suppose to do with the dynamic metadata. The only possibility that comes to mind is dynamically changing the roll-off in tone mapping. And that, IMHO, can't be good.

The fancy manipulation that the Sony rep is refering to, breaking the content into low, medium, and highlights, and processing independently, is not for me. The grader already manipulated the master the way he wanted it. The display's job is to reproduce it, not to make it look "better".
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply AVS Forum® Podcasts

Tags
a1e , dolby vision , Home Theater Geeks , master backlight drive , Sony

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page