• 1 Post By R Johnson

post #1 of 6 Old 03-03-2017, 01:42 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 95 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1881 Post(s)
Liked: 4912
HPA Tech Retreat 2017

Entertainment-technology consultants Geoff Tully and Ron Williams, just back from the 2017 HPA (Hollywood Professional Association) Tech Retreat, talk about some of the main topics of discussion at the event. Paramount among them was high dynamic range (HDR), which Geoff addressed in a presentation advocating HDR with 1080p resolution, a concept that broadcasters embrace. Ron discussed the demo he presented with Grass Valley of a live HDR camera signal shown on an SDR monitor and two HDR monitors, illustrating how HDR actually results in greater perceived detail. We also discuss the impending ATSC 3.0 terrestrial broadcasting standard, answers to chat-room questions, and more.

For more on HDR 1080p at the HPA Tech Retreat, check out this article by Mark Henninger.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 03-03-2017, 02:48 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 617 Post(s)
Liked: 255
Smile

A lot of questionable "facts" bandied about in this one.

I don't think there are 15 stops above SDR in HDR, as Ron stated several times. HDR (ST2084) has 100x the peak signal as SDR, more like 7 stops. (Still a lot).

The discussion about outdoor sun and shade on a football field is pretty silly too. The answer to this is compression in the camera, not HDR, although that is debatable.

If you go to one of those games, you find yourself shielding your eyes from the bright part of the field, in order to see the darker part. So now you want to bring that hard to see action into your home by putting a realisticly bright field on the screen, while trying to see action in the darker portion? It does not any sense. Instead, you do what "WDR" surveillance cameras have been doing for the past 5 years, compress the gray scale to accommodate the wide dynamic range, but still display on SDR.

Finally, regarding new broadcast digital standards. I suspect the broadcast industry will be dead before this comes to pass. Scott alluded to this by wondering if broadcast is relevant anymore. Well most people don't get the networks over the air, but instead via cable or satellite. And those that do, tend not to be the demographic that advertisers want.

With the growth of smart phones, and many people turning to internet streaming, the whole "value to the citizen" that has warranted free use of the air waves for the broadcasters comes into question.

Personally, I think the congress should pass legislation that would put a significant license fee for the use the TV spectrum. And increase that fee over time, with the goal of eliminating over the air TV. The spectrum has better uses. I could see the local TV stations remaining the same, just not broadcasting over-the-air.

What about those who can't afford cable or satellite? I could see the networks leasing space on dish or direct TV or similar, and making the signals free.

Anyway, good show, and keep them coming. Too bad Joe Kane could not make it. He is always worth a listen.

Edit: Final thought. He shouldn't be using 100% level bars for st2084. He should use 50% levels, as they are closer to what 100% is on SDR.

Since no display can achieve 100%, all displays are going to clip at 100%.

Last edited by rak306; 03-03-2017 at 03:02 PM.
post #3 of 6 Old 03-05-2017, 08:39 AM

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 2012 Post(s)
Liked: 1408
Yes but with a PQ video signal, that clipping is far less likely to occur on any part of the image aside from extreme bright highlights.

Thus you won't get nearly as much clipping, over-saturation, and colour-loss. You will see that the sky is indeed blue, not white, and can do that without crushing the colours in the midtones into oblivion.

I don't think Joe Kane's worth listening to on this topic. Anyone who thinks SDR is "equally capable" of delivering a punchy image as an HDR image has no idea what he's talking about, sorry.

One only needs to go to a local BestBuy and see an OLED TV showing the SDR vs HDR demo. SDR is greyish and low-contrast, and HDR looks spectacular. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to see which standard is clearly superior at delivering video content. Seeing is believing.

And that's why it's even pointless to debate "why use HDR", it's a done deal. The only thing to worry about is "how good is my TV at showing HDR".
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 03-05-2017, 08:42 AM

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 2012 Post(s)
Liked: 1408
That said, I haven't used OTA for ten years, nor cable, because I hate ads with a passion, can't stand'em, so I'm not sure it really matters all that much, but content is changing and not upgrading the video data to the latest over the air is only going to doom it faster.
post #5 of 6 Old 03-05-2017, 02:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 61
As one who enjoys the look and size of a front projection system, I guess I'll have to be content with that crummy old SDR video and won't be able to enjoy the wonders of HDR.

But I'll still be able to enjoy 99 plus percent of all the film and video content currently available.
skoolpsyk likes this.
post #6 of 6 Old 03-06-2017, 10:16 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 266 Post(s)
Quoted: 12752 Post(s)
Liked: 12071
Did they say that the Dolby 2000 nit LCD has more saturated colors than the 1000 nit sony oled reference monitor?

82Q90R*75Q9FN(RIP)*55C8OLED*Galaxy Note10+*Ub820 fed into Oppo 203*XB1X*4k DenonX4200

MASTER LIST OF HDR CONTENT THREAD HERE, UPDATED OFTEN
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply AVS Forum® Podcasts

Tags
atsc 3.0 , hdr 1080p , Home Theater Geeks , hpa tech retreat

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page