The Best Blu-rays and UHD Blu-rays - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 44Likes

post #31 of 36 Old 11-20-2017, 09:02 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 302 Post(s)
Liked: 64
hdr

I was watching the interview, and about 12 minutes in they start talking about HDR blu-ray vs SDR blu-ray, being a more significant improvement than 4k vs 1080p.

But I had to stop the video and comment here, because I couldn't stop thinking about how 99% of the music produced in 2017 is 'SDR'. They purposely flatten the dynamics to raise the average volume, because they think loud music demands more attention when played on the radio.

There really... really really, needs to be a revolution in the music industry for HDR music. I should be able to crank my system to full power and listen without hurting my ears, and let the dynamics impress me. I know this is sort of off-topic, but I couldn't help thinking about this while he's talking about how much better HDR is than SDR, and it just blows my mind and is so depressing that our music can't be enjoyed like this.

Can we use the HDR marketing for video to bring some life to our music? Scott, who can we talk to to make this happen?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 36 Old 11-23-2017, 12:13 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 353 Post(s)
Liked: 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandPixel View Post
But I had to stop the video and comment here, because I couldn't stop thinking about how 99% of the music produced in 2017 is 'SDR'. They purposely flatten the dynamics to raise the average volume, because they think loud music demands more attention when played on the radio.

There really... really really, needs to be a revolution in the music industry for HDR music. I should be able to crank my system to full power and listen without hurting my ears, and let the dynamics impress me. I know this is sort of off-topic, but I couldn't help thinking about this while he's talking about how much better HDR is than SDR, and it just blows my mind and is so depressing that our music can't be enjoyed like this.

Can we use the HDR marketing for video to bring some life to our music? Scott, who can we talk to to make this happen?
How would you define music as SDR? What would qualify a music recording to be considered HDR?

You would need to convince all of the recording labels as well as all of the audio mastering engineers to stop trying to be part of the loudness war. Google "music loudness war" and start reading. That is the problem for which there seems to be no simple solution (because apparently no one wants to change).

Packing a lot of sound into a small room.
268 square feet/2144 cubic feet
7.2 surround sound.
post #33 of 36 Old 11-28-2017, 05:44 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked: 58
For you all you UHD gurus, it may be beneficial (especially to a newbie like myself) as to what 4K movies are worth buying in 4k over regular Blu-ray. I myself plan to buy both John Wick movies and Hacksaw ridge since I loved them, but I only watched them in crappy 720P.

Any other recommendations?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 36 Old 12-08-2017, 08:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1280 Post(s)
Liked: 793
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickyB210 View Post
For you all you UHD gurus, it may be beneficial (especially to a newbie like myself) as to what 4K movies are worth buying in 4k over regular Blu-ray. I myself plan to buy both John Wick movies and Hacksaw ridge since I loved them, but I only watched them in crappy 720P.

Any other recommendations?
To me, the best picture I've seen hands-down is The Revenant, which was actually shot in 6K from what I've read. It's one of those that the more you watch it, the more perfect the resolution strikes you. Plus, although it's not Atmos, it sounds more Atmos than a lot of supposedly real Atmos I've heard.

Video: JVC RS620/X9500 projector, Stewart ST130 screen, Panasonic ub820 UHD player
Audio: Anthem AVM60 preamp, Anthem MCA525 amp, B&K Reference 125.7 amp
Subs: dual SVS PC-12 cylinders
Speakers: RBH SV-661R and SV-661CR fronts, Jamo 626k4 side/rear surrounds, DefTech DI6.5R heights
post #35 of 36 Old 12-08-2017, 02:41 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Liked: 210
This all leads me to a big question are there benefits to viewing UHD blu-ray down converted to 1080P?
post #36 of 36 Old 12-08-2017, 07:09 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocOrange88 View Post
This all leads me to a big question are there benefits to viewing UHD blu-ray down converted to 1080P?
yes if you can have HDR 1080p then there would be a benefit.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply AVS Forum® Podcasts

Tags
blu-ray , hdr , Home Theater Geeks , immersive audio , uhd blu-ray

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page