The Best Blu-rays and UHD Blu-rays - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 44Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 36 Old 04-14-2017, 04:15 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Scott Wilkinson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Burbank, CA
Posts: 3,258
Mentioned: 95 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1881 Post(s)
Liked: 4912
The Best Blu-rays and UHD Blu-rays

Ralph Potts, Blu-ray reviewer for AVS Forum, talks about his home-theater system and his favorite Blu-ray and UHD Blu-ray titles, including some of the best titles for image quality in both HD and UHD, immersive audio, and 3D. He also discusses high dynamic range (HDR), wide color gamut (WCG), high frame rate (HFR), and how he divides his attention between the technical aspects of the presentation and the movie itself. Plus answers to chat-room questions and more.

https://www.avsforum.com/best-blu-rays-uhd-blu-rays/
Scott Wilkinson is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 36 Old 04-14-2017, 05:27 PM
Member
 
DaveMcLain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Central Missouri
Posts: 188
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 75
This was a good show Scott I really enjoy when you have Ralph Potts on as a guest. It might sound funny but I think he talks just like he writes in his reviews!
DAB, Haiej, Ralph Potts and 2 others like this.
DaveMcLain is offline  
post #3 of 36 Old 04-14-2017, 05:52 PM
Blu-ray Reviewer
Moderator
 
Ralph Potts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Middletown NY
Posts: 14,081
Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1698 Post(s)
Liked: 6212
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveMcLain View Post
This was a good show Scott I really enjoy when you have Ralph Potts on as a guest. It might sound funny but I think he talks just like he writes in his reviews!
Greetings,

Thanks Dave. I enjoy doing the show and had a great time during our discussion. I think you may be right regarding my speaking sounding similar to my writing.


Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
Follow me on Twitter @RalphAVSreviews
Ralph Potts is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 36 Old 04-14-2017, 06:05 PM
Member
 
johnty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 133
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Potts View Post
Thanks Dave. I enjoy doing the show and had a great time during our discussion.
Regards,
One question I had hoped would come up - when faced with the choice of watching a 3D version of the movie in HD vs 2D UHD and assuming they both had immersive sound, which would you choose? The heightened sense of immersion of 3D or the better color and specular highlights of the 4K disc?
Ralph Potts likes this.
johnty is offline  
post #5 of 36 Old 04-14-2017, 06:34 PM
Blu-ray Reviewer
Moderator
 
Ralph Potts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Middletown NY
Posts: 14,081
Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1698 Post(s)
Liked: 6212
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnty View Post
One question I had hoped would come up - when faced with the choice of watching a 3D version of the movie in HD vs 2D UHD and assuming they both had immersive sound, which would you choose? The heightened sense of immersion of 3D or the better color and specular highlights of the 4K disc?
Greetings,

Great questions John! I think it would depend on the source material, but if I had to be pinned down, I would probably opt for the Ultra HD version..


Regards,
mtbdudex likes this.

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
Follow me on Twitter @RalphAVSreviews
Ralph Potts is offline  
post #6 of 36 Old 04-14-2017, 10:14 PM
Senior Member
 
blueskies758's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 234
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Speaking as one who just picked up his first Ultra HD 4K discs this week, I would like to ask this question.

We hear that the resolution isn't all that noticeable compared to HDR benefits.

Consider this though - the vast majority of these titles are only 2K sources, and as such aren't the titles the weak point from a resolution standpoint. Shouldn't we be able to expect much greater differences as studios elect (if they choose) to source 4K masters as opposed to these 2K masters. Think back to bluray discs infancy and DVD as well and how much better PQ was 3, 4, 5 years later down the road.

I'm surprised there is not more pressure on the studios to source 4K masters when you consider the cost of this evolution in gear. Seems that throwing out 50% of the capability of the image is not ideal.

Last edited by blueskies758; 04-14-2017 at 10:22 PM.
blueskies758 is offline  
post #7 of 36 Old 04-15-2017, 12:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
wxman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 9,447
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5498 Post(s)
Liked: 3901
There are only 2 or 3 UHD discs I would consider reference quality. The rest, IMO, are sub par and I prefer the blu ray version over the UHD version.
DAB likes this.

LG 65E6P OLED - LG 65EF9500 OLED - OPPO 203 - OPPO 103D
wxman is online now  
post #8 of 36 Old 04-15-2017, 06:03 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 82
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 43
so far uhd blu ray has been a big scam
DAB likes this.
styx rogan is offline  
post #9 of 36 Old 04-15-2017, 06:18 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 131
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by wxman View Post
There are only 2 or 3 UHD discs I would consider reference quality. The rest, IMO, are sub par and I prefer the blu ray version over the UHD version.
I agree. I have seen some 4K movies that look terrible in my opinion. I had also watched blu-rays that didn't look like 1080p to me, but I'm happy I upgraded at the time. That's why I'm not sure if I'm ready to jump on the 4K bandwagon yet. Although I did buy a JVC RS400, but that was because I wanted lens shift. Darn you Sony, haha.
MrZoolittle is offline  
post #10 of 36 Old 04-15-2017, 10:07 AM
Senior Member
 
Fizban19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: New York
Posts: 347
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 204 Post(s)
Liked: 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by styx rogan View Post
so far uhd blu ray has been a big scam
In terms of pricing? I agree, although when 1080P discs first came out, the pricing was similar....4k disc sales are doing much better when compared to when 1080P discs first launched. All of the titles that Ralph talks about are primo 4K presentations. I can see a huge difference in quality in 4K discs vs. 4k streaming...it's not even close. Plus, most of the time, you can't get HD sound when streaming. On my 4K LG OLED TV, the 4K picture from a UHD disc is much better than a 1080P disc on my Pioneer Kuro......
Ralph Potts, Ulisescm and Haiej like this.
Fizban19 is offline  
post #11 of 36 Old 04-15-2017, 10:14 AM
Senior Member
 
Fizban19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: New York
Posts: 347
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 204 Post(s)
Liked: 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by wxman View Post
There are only 2 or 3 UHD discs I would consider reference quality. The rest, IMO, are sub par and I prefer the blu ray version over the UHD version.
These are some of the UHD discs I own that I think are better than the regular blu-ray version (I'm talking mainly picture wise as I do not have a Dolby Atmos set-up, so I can't comment on that). These are in no particular order...just remembering off the top of my head:

1. Pacific Rim
2. Pets
3. Miss Peregrine's Home For Peculiar Children
4. Oblivion
5. Hacksaw Ridge
6. The Revenant
7. Chappie
8. John Wick
9. Sicario
Ralph Potts, Haiej and devon_djh like this.
Fizban19 is offline  
post #12 of 36 Old 04-15-2017, 08:28 PM
Senior Member
 
Pitbull0669's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Upstate New York
Posts: 372
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Great Video buddy
Ralph Potts and blueskies758 like this.
Pitbull0669 is offline  
post #13 of 36 Old 04-16-2017, 11:40 AM
Newbie
 
vfrdev's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Really enjoyed the discussion thank you Scott and Ralph. For those like Ralph in the New York City area another Dolby theater can be found in Paramus NJ. The AMC 16 at the Westfield Garden State Plaza is at the intersection of routes 4 and 17. I enjoy it on Sunday mornings thanks to less traffic with most stores closed there on Sunday.
Haiej and Ralph Potts like this.
vfrdev is offline  
post #14 of 36 Old 04-16-2017, 12:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
cardoski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Beyond The Wall.
Posts: 4,966
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2631 Post(s)
Liked: 2983
Great show boys! Loved hearing about your system Ralph Potts and thanks again for your reviews.
Ralph Potts likes this.

Listening with Focal Elex headphones, Topping DSD Dac, SENCUN-audio tube preamp with tone control and Modded Little Dot hybrid tube amp with Voshkod 6ZH1P-EV tubes, Dual Discrete Op-Amp SS3602, and Alps Blue Velvet volume pot.

Watching in a room ensconced in velvet.
cardoski is online now  
post #15 of 36 Old 04-16-2017, 09:50 PM
Member
 
Ulisescm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Mexico City
Posts: 65
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I just have like 30 uhd discs and every one is a clear improvement over the 1080 Blu-ray, every single one, if not the resolution, the wider color spectrum, the hdr, the better compression and less artifacts and of course object based audio. No competition.
Haiej and DAB like this.
Ulisescm is offline  
post #16 of 36 Old 04-17-2017, 08:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
b0rnarian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Indiana
Posts: 2,679
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2082 Post(s)
Liked: 1258
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fizban19 View Post
These are some of the UHD discs I own that I think are better than the regular blu-ray version (I'm talking mainly picture wise as I do not have a Dolby Atmos set-up, so I can't comment on that). These are in no particular order...just remembering off the top of my head:

1. Pacific Rim
2. Pets
3. Miss Peregrine's Home For Peculiar Children
4. Oblivion
5. Hacksaw Ridge
6. The Revenant
7. Chappie
8. John Wick
9. Sicario
I hear Oblivion is one of the worst/botched up transfers in the UHD selection...? Agree with you on all the rest of them.

Samsung 65 KS9800 + Denon X4500H (11.2) + OPPO 203 + PS4 + Roku
Disc Lot For SALE : HERE!
b0rnarian is online now  
post #17 of 36 Old 04-17-2017, 09:40 AM
Senior Member
 
Fizban19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: New York
Posts: 347
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 204 Post(s)
Liked: 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by b0rnarian View Post
I hear Oblivion is one of the worst/botched up transfers in the UHD selection...? Agree with you on all the rest of them.
Hearing about it and seeing it are 2 different stories maybe? I think it looks great on my 4K LG OLED TV. There are several reviews on the net that give the 4K version great reviews (blu-ray.com, hometheaterforum.com, avforums.com). I guess there are some who didn't like it, but that's not what I'm reading from various reviews on the net. There's a review on digitalbits.com that says the 4K version is only marginally better than the regular bluray version.....but, better nonetheless. I haven't really seen any reviews that totally trashed it.
Fizban19 is offline  
post #18 of 36 Old 04-17-2017, 09:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
b0rnarian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Indiana
Posts: 2,679
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2082 Post(s)
Liked: 1258
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fizban19 View Post
Hearing about it and seeing it are 2 different stories maybe? I think it looks great on my 4K LG OLED TV. There are several reviews on the net that give the 4K version great reviews (blu-ray.com, hometheaterforum.com, avforums.com). I guess there are some who didn't like it, but that's not what I'm reading from various reviews on the net. There's a review on digitalbits.com that says the 4K version is only marginally better than the regular bluray version.....but, better nonetheless. I haven't really seen any reviews that totally trashed it.
Thats Fair. Though to me a "Marginal" improvement is like trashing it, its gotta be better than that. Again, seeing it yourself can make all the difference.

Samsung 65 KS9800 + Denon X4500H (11.2) + OPPO 203 + PS4 + Roku
Disc Lot For SALE : HERE!
b0rnarian is online now  
post #19 of 36 Old 04-17-2017, 12:49 PM
Senior Member
 
Fizban19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: New York
Posts: 347
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 204 Post(s)
Liked: 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by b0rnarian View Post
Thats Fair. Though to me a "Marginal" improvement is like trashing it, its gotta be better than that. Again, seeing it yourself can make all the difference.
FWIW I think all of my UHD discs are better than regular bluray version. Some are only slightly better....unfortunately with the way prices are, that might seem like a negative. I never buy a 4K disc at the going rate of $29.99...I wait till there is a sale where it drops down to either $19.99 or $24.99....
Ralph Potts likes this.
Fizban19 is offline  
post #20 of 36 Old 04-17-2017, 12:51 PM
Advanced Member
 
hsinnott's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Dublin, Ireland
Posts: 787
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked: 129
Super fun video guys. I love UHD but the prices are far too high and the selection of films, bar 20 of so- in my opinion, is appalling.

In some cases you can literally pick up 7-8 blurays for the cost of 1 UHD disc.

Still, I am hoping to fully support the latest format- all we need is a price drop and a few decent films please!!!
Haiej, Ralph Potts and Ulisescm like this.
hsinnott is offline  
post #21 of 36 Old 04-17-2017, 11:08 PM
Senior Member
 
drummernrg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Austin, TX, US
Posts: 465
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by b0rnarian View Post
Thats Fair. Though to me a "Marginal" improvement is like trashing it, its gotta be better than that. Again, seeing it yourself can make all the difference.
Indeed, I purchased the UHD Blu-ray of Oblivion and I can see more detail and subtle colors in the movie than before. For a movie that is visually striking to begin with and one that I enjoy revisiting from time to time, the upgrade is worthy. Do I now see what is 2K rendered CGI and what is not easily in this movie? Yes. Does that cheapen the experience of "fake" upscaled UHD or demean the movie? That is up to you. For me, I appreciate seeing the movie clearly and it proves that my UHD TV, given the proper materials, can show me more than I have ever seen before.

For most of my family, they'll not notice the difference from HD blu-ray and they'll just enjoy the movie.

But on the Internet opinions and judgments are more plentiful than judgments based on facts, I haven't offered any facts other than my experience: your subjective reality might vary from mine.
Ulisescm, b0rnarian and Haiej like this.
drummernrg is offline  
post #22 of 36 Old 04-18-2017, 01:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
wxman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 9,447
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5498 Post(s)
Liked: 3901
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulisescm View Post
I just have like 30 uhd discs and every one is a clear improvement over the 1080 Blu-ray, every single one, if not the resolution, the wider color spectrum, the hdr, the better compression and less artifacts and of course object based audio. No competition.
I hope Ender's Game is not part of your collection. It's one of the worst UHD titles out there, and clearly inferior to the blu ray version as far as visual quality.
Ulisescm likes this.

LG 65E6P OLED - LG 65EF9500 OLED - OPPO 203 - OPPO 103D
wxman is online now  
post #23 of 36 Old 04-18-2017, 02:21 PM
Member
 
fmalitz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Hawthorn Woods, IL USA
Posts: 120
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 107
Just to clarify a point, human beings perceive sharpness as a function of contrast not resolution. High-resolution formats provide a more natural gradient of tones. Optimizing contrast is the key to sharpness. Obviously, optimizing both gives us the best viewing experience.
Ulisescm and Haiej like this.
fmalitz is offline  
post #24 of 36 Old 04-18-2017, 06:31 PM
Member
 
Pauls09's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 61
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 13
For my system+eyes, 4k resolution hasn't really vowed me either, but HDR is great!

Slightly off the topic, is / was there an effort to do 1080p with HDR / wide color gamut? IMO 1080p + HDR will be totally worth it + lesser cable/handshake issues, bandwidth efficient for streaming etc. too!
Haiej likes this.

7.2.4 HT ATMOS setup, itching to go --> 9.2.6; need a reasonable processor for salaried people ;-)
Strong proponent of slow down in yearly revision/update cycle!!
Pauls09 is offline  
post #25 of 36 Old 04-18-2017, 09:27 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Scott Wilkinson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Burbank, CA
Posts: 3,258
Mentioned: 95 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1881 Post(s)
Liked: 4912
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pauls09 View Post
For my system+eyes, 4k resolution hasn't really vowed me either, but HDR is great!

Slightly off the topic, is / was there an effort to do 1080p with HDR / wide color gamut? IMO 1080p + HDR will be totally worth it + lesser cable/handshake issues, bandwidth efficient for streaming etc. too!
Many of us would love to see 1080p content with HDR and WCG; as you say, it would be totally worth it. However, it's up to the studios to release such content, and I'm not holding my breath for that.
Haiej likes this.
Scott Wilkinson is offline  
post #26 of 36 Old 04-19-2017, 01:29 AM
Member
 
Pauls09's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 61
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wilkinson View Post
Many of us would love to see 1080p content with HDR and WCG; as you say, it would be totally worth it. However, it's up to the studios to release such content, and I'm not holding my breath for that.
Good to hear you also feel it will be totally worth it!
Its beyond my pay-grade, but it seems like TV, BDPlayer manufacturers have hijacked and pushed the 4k agenda and studios see it as an opportunity to resell old non-4k content, repackaged w/ a "Remastered in 4k" label - GiGo (GarbageIn GarbageOut) w/ no real benefit for consumer. I think AVS writers and editors like yourself may have real user following, base and power to influence this. So please write about this and see if we can push it (1080p w/ HDR) up OR get on the agenda.

7.2.4 HT ATMOS setup, itching to go --> 9.2.6; need a reasonable processor for salaried people ;-)
Strong proponent of slow down in yearly revision/update cycle!!
Pauls09 is offline  
post #27 of 36 Old 04-19-2017, 04:44 AM
Member
 
JCP1740's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Conn.
Posts: 111
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 48
I'm glad you mentioned 3D. One of the major magazines (S&V) is more or less putting it down in most of its articles, and is mainly dismissing it now as a gimmick. There are many of us who like it and want more of it. Sure, it could be better in many ways, such as without glasses, but for now it is what we have so let us enjoy it. I always passed on The Walk, but after hearing you guys talk about it, it is on my list to buy. I want to see if the vertigo hits me. Good show.
Ralph Potts likes this.

JCP. Benq HT3050, 120" DaLite, Pioneer Elite SC-LX501, Klipsch Heresy fronts and backs, Infinity center, Klipsch KG-2 sides, Velodyne HGS 18" sub, Paradigm PW2200 sub, Triad PowerSub 18", Energy 15" sub. Panasonic BDT-310 & Sony BDP-S790 Blu-Rays, LG 4K 870.
JCP1740 is offline  
post #28 of 36 Old 04-26-2017, 09:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
darrellh44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: North Dallas
Posts: 1,583
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1078 Post(s)
Liked: 535
Hi Ralph,

Enjoyed the video, but I really enjoy and value your reviews. It's uncanny to me how much your tastes line up with mine, which for me, is the what a great reviewer should be about. Some well-known reviewers try to be elitist, and impress us with their knowledge and interpretation of the hidden 'artistic' insights into films. Your reviews are spot on and simply tell us what we need to hear.

At one time, one of your threads on this forum listed your 'Guilty Pleasures' (or something like that). I was amazed how many of your favorites on that list were mine as well, and the ones I hadn't seen before became my favorites because of your recommendation. Anyway, I hope you keep doing this for a very long time. You're the best!!!

Thanks,
Darrell
Ralph Potts likes this.
darrellh44 is offline  
post #29 of 36 Old 04-27-2017, 06:56 AM
Blu-ray Reviewer
Moderator
 
Ralph Potts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Middletown NY
Posts: 14,081
Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1698 Post(s)
Liked: 6212
Quote:
Originally Posted by darrellh44 View Post
Hi Ralph,

Enjoyed the video, but I really enjoy and value your reviews. It's uncanny to me how much your tastes line up with mine, which for me, is the what a great reviewer should be about. Some well-known reviewers try to be elitist, and impress us with their knowledge and interpretation of the hidden 'artistic' insights into films. Your reviews are spot on and simply tell us what we need to hear.

At one time, one of your threads on this forum listed your 'Guilty Pleasures' (or something like that). I was amazed how many of your favorites on that list were mine as well, and the ones I hadn't seen before became my favorites because of your recommendation. Anyway, I hope you keep doing this for a very long time. You're the best!!!

Thanks,
Darrell
Greetings,

darrell, I am very glad that you enjoyed the show, and my reviews as well. I very much appreciate your comments, and can't think of a better compliment. Thank you!


Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
Follow me on Twitter @RalphAVSreviews
Ralph Potts is offline  
post #30 of 36 Old 05-04-2017, 08:44 PM
wse
AVS Forum Special Member
 
wse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: USA
Posts: 9,503
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2207 Post(s)
Liked: 814
Thumbs up

The studios are triple dipping or more DVD, Blu Ray 4K UHD

I upgraded all my 600 DVDs to Blu Ray but won't do that for UHD!

I now only buy UHD after I rent the Blu Ray and read Ralph's reviews Thank you Ralph you rock

95 and above for me

Except when ATMOS is at 100

I am waiting for

- The Fifth Element http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/The-Fi...lu-ray/171526/
- Kong Skull Island
http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Kong-S...lu-ray/176562/
- Prometheus
http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Promet...lu-ray/177153/
- Dracula
http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Bram-S...lu-ray/171527/
- The Great Wall
http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/The-Gr...lu-ray/173843/

Last edited by wse; 05-04-2017 at 08:51 PM.
wse is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply AVS Forum® Podcasts

Tags
blu-ray , hdr , Home Theater Geeks , immersive audio , uhd blu-ray

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off