Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 05-19-2017, 05:08 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1880 Post(s)
Liked: 4889
Going Out of Your Head

Darin Fong talks about his headphone-virtualization software called Out of Your Head. Topics include a quick summary of head-related transfer functions (HRTFs), how Darin wanted to simulate the effect of listening to a speaker-based stereo system in headphones, how he measures HRTFs in different rooms with different speakers to create presets, and how the software accepts the audio from a media player and applies the selected preset to create a binaural-audio file. We also play a few examples (be sure to listen on headphones to hear the effect!) and discuss various applications and plans for future developments. Plus answers to chat-room questions and more.

https://www.avsforum.com/going-out-of-your-head/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 05-20-2017, 10:41 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
One thing Mr. Fong seems to be unaware of is that the latest Windows 10 Creators Update already has the similar features built in. It even includes the Dolby Atmos:
http://pureinfotech.com/setup-spatia...os-windows-10/

Last edited by valley_nomad; 05-20-2017 at 10:45 PM.
post #3 of 11 Old 05-21-2017, 03:20 PM

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Back in April I gave Scott a suggestion about episode #355 if he can pull it off, it will be one not to be missed tune in everyone!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 05-22-2017, 06:24 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 517 Post(s)
Liked: 347
I have yet to hear a single headphone 'virtualization' tech that produced a convincible Center channel.
On the Darin Fong Audio website you can hear a virtual 7.1 audio test.
I am not convinced.

We simply can't fool our complex auditory system, where the brain being the main organ.

Last edited by James Freeman; 05-22-2017 at 06:30 AM.
post #5 of 11 Old 05-22-2017, 10:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 674 Post(s)
Liked: 246
The audio podcast must be getting mixed down to mono because the demo did not work at all. I listened to the demos separately and they sounded fine.

I just got the windows creators update yesterday and will play around with the new audio features.
post #6 of 11 Old 05-25-2017, 11:06 AM

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 15
This is a very intriguing subject. Attempts at "Virtualizing" a surround environment has been around for quite some time. My historical favorite example is on the following CD:

Telarc
The Great Fantasy Adventure Album ( 1994 )
CD-80342
https://www.amazon.com/Great-Fantasy.../dp/B000003CZH

And a technology they called "Spatializer". Listening to this disc through a pair of earphones, any earphones, one gets the sense that the sound is coming from all around you and you can sense the room. The "trick" here, and eluded to in Mr Fong's podcast, is to tinker with the phase and time delay of various slices of the frequency spectrum of the audio chain. Basically he's reconstructing, as best he can, what you would sense in your own ears in the environment. It's all quite fun to listen to.
post #7 of 11 Old 05-25-2017, 11:24 AM

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Mr. Fong commented several times about the fact that a number of people had suggested he build his code such that it can be run on a Raspberry Pi:

https://www.raspberrypi.org/products...-pi-3-model-b/

IMO he should be going full bore to make that happen. To answer a question that came up the most popular OS on the Pi is based on Debian Linux. And the Kodi/OSMC Open Source Media Center runs on a Pi:

https://kodi.tv/
https://osmc.tv/

And is the very heart of the many "SmartTV" products offered today. Kodi/OSMC do in fact have an adjustment, at least in the open source version, to time delay either the audio or video streams of the content. That can be upwards of 1 second of delay for either stream. The Pi features either an HDMI or combined 3.5mm audio jack and composite video output jack. Some folks claim that that jack can drive most headphones directly.

He could sell his product on a MicroSD card all set up and ready to run. All you need is the $35 Pi and it's accessories. Without the "Out of Your Head" firmware your looking at maybe $80.
post #8 of 11 Old 05-26-2017, 04:15 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Freeman View Post
I have yet to hear a single headphone 'virtualization' tech that produced a convincible Center channel.
On the Darin Fong Audio website you can hear a virtual 7.1 audio test.
I am not convinced.

We simply can't fool our complex auditory system, where the brain being the main organ.
The accuracy of frontal sound localization is the key quality indication of such virtual speaker system.
Smyth Realiser seems to be able to "convince" most people.
post #9 of 11 Old 07-11-2017, 07:02 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Is this podcast on stitcher radio?
post #10 of 11 Old 07-12-2017, 02:33 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I'll have to agree with the comment about the Smyth Realiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by valley_nomad View Post
The accuracy of frontal sound localization is the key quality indication of such virtual speaker system.
Smyth Realiser seems to be able to "convince" most people.
Having heard the first gen Realiser and being a " Already ordered and Highly awaiting the arrival of " 2nd gen Realiser owner I can attest to the Excellent job the unit does with sound sources. It not only does a unbelievable job on reproducing the direction of the channels but also the speakers and the room environment it self . It is truly a game changing piece of equipment.
post #11 of 11 Old 03-21-2019, 03:07 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 6
I recently got the software and two presets, one for movies and one for music. Perhaps my head and ears just had a good matching shape, but this is the best headphone upgrade I’ve found. The difference in effect during 5.1 or 7.1 movies takes headphone listening from ‘have to’ into ‘want to.’

Using Sennheiser 600 with Schiit Modi/Magni 3, and I could not be happier.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply AVS Forum® Podcasts

Tags
headphones , Home Theater Geeks , virtualization

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page