Chat-Room Q&A - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4Likes
  • 2 Post By Scott Wilkinson
  • 1 Post By dkfan9
  • 1 Post By imagic
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 07-29-2017, 06:30 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Scott Wilkinson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Burbank, CA
Posts: 3,258
Mentioned: 95 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1881 Post(s)
Liked: 4912
Chat-Room Q&A

AVS Forum Associate Editor Mark Henninger and I spend a pleasant hour answering questions from the chat room. Topics include why home projectors don't yet implement Dolby Vision, 4K/UHD projectors in the $2-3K price range, home-theater lighting control, whether we prefer the LG E7 or Sony A1E OLED TV, will there ever be a single HDR format, high-resolution audio, headphone virtualization, VR for movies, Dolby Atmos, and more.

https://www.avsforum.com/chat-room-qa-6/
Daniel Chaves and skoolpsyk like this.
Scott Wilkinson is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 11 Old 07-30-2017, 06:15 PM
Advanced Member
 
Utopianemo's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 752
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 249 Post(s)
Liked: 189
Hey Scott, HLG has been described both as another format of HDR, as well as an alternative to PQ(most notably by Joe Kane). How is it both?
Utopianemo is offline  
post #3 of 11 Old 07-31-2017, 01:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Daniel Chaves's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: LA (Valley Village)
Posts: 1,811
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 624 Post(s)
Liked: 491
Loved the Q&A but as a heads up that some of the upcoming 4k projectors do not have 3d playback example being the new 4k Optoma projectors are not offering 3d capability which is sad.

But very informative. I am also Apartment living so everything I have done I can undo, but I havent tried putting black fabric up on my ceiling just yet, what kind of clips would you recommend to secure the fabric to the ceiling so it doesnt fall down or losen over time and sag.

Projector: BenQ w1500 + ES Sable 135" 16:9 Screen AVR: Marantz SR6011 ATMOS/DTSX + Unity 2ch Amp + Darbee 5000s Speakers: Polk Audio TSX550t (FL/FR), CS2 Series II (C), FXiA6 (SL/SR), Monitor40 Series II (RL/RR), TSx110B (Ceiling FL/FR RL/RR) LFE: (2) JL Audio 12" Subs + (2) Dayton 15" Subs + (2) ButtKicker LFE Arrangement: 7.1.4 Source: OPPO UDP-203 4k Bluray Player, HTPC, nVidia Shield TV Pro, Hauppauge OTA DVR
Daniel Chaves is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 11 Old 07-31-2017, 07:38 PM
Mark Henninger
 
imagic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 16,094
Mentioned: 442 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9171 Post(s)
Liked: 16173
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Chaves View Post
Loved the Q&A but as a heads up that some of the upcoming 4k projectors do not have 3d playback example being the new 4k Optoma projectors are not offering 3d capability which is sad.

But very informative. I am also Apartment living so everything I have done I can undo, but I havent tried putting black fabric up on my ceiling just yet, what kind of clips would you recommend to secure the fabric to the ceiling so it doesnt fall down or losen over time and sag.
I use a staple gun.

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum
imagic is offline  
post #5 of 11 Old 08-01-2017, 11:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Daniel Chaves's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: LA (Valley Village)
Posts: 1,811
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 624 Post(s)
Liked: 491
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagic View Post
I use a staple gun.
Ah Im not sure if that will work with my ceilings as I have that nasty popcorn ceilings. ^^;;

Do you see the silver staples or do they make black staples?

Projector: BenQ w1500 + ES Sable 135" 16:9 Screen AVR: Marantz SR6011 ATMOS/DTSX + Unity 2ch Amp + Darbee 5000s Speakers: Polk Audio TSX550t (FL/FR), CS2 Series II (C), FXiA6 (SL/SR), Monitor40 Series II (RL/RR), TSx110B (Ceiling FL/FR RL/RR) LFE: (2) JL Audio 12" Subs + (2) Dayton 15" Subs + (2) ButtKicker LFE Arrangement: 7.1.4 Source: OPPO UDP-203 4k Bluray Player, HTPC, nVidia Shield TV Pro, Hauppauge OTA DVR
Daniel Chaves is online now  
post #6 of 11 Old 08-09-2017, 08:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 1,746
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 723 Post(s)
Liked: 238
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Chaves View Post
Ah Im not sure if that will work with my ceilings as I have that nasty popcorn ceilings. ^^;;

Do you see the silver staples or do they make black staples?
You could color the staples with a Sharpie prior to use
imagic likes this.

Setup:
Spoiler!
dkfan9 is offline  
post #7 of 11 Old 08-09-2017, 11:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Daniel Chaves's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: LA (Valley Village)
Posts: 1,811
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 624 Post(s)
Liked: 491
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkfan9 View Post
You could color the staples with a Sharpie prior to use
I might just use something like this for a cleaner look and I can always take it down later.

http://www.fabric-wall.com/half-inch-track.aspx

Projector: BenQ w1500 + ES Sable 135" 16:9 Screen AVR: Marantz SR6011 ATMOS/DTSX + Unity 2ch Amp + Darbee 5000s Speakers: Polk Audio TSX550t (FL/FR), CS2 Series II (C), FXiA6 (SL/SR), Monitor40 Series II (RL/RR), TSx110B (Ceiling FL/FR RL/RR) LFE: (2) JL Audio 12" Subs + (2) Dayton 15" Subs + (2) ButtKicker LFE Arrangement: 7.1.4 Source: OPPO UDP-203 4k Bluray Player, HTPC, nVidia Shield TV Pro, Hauppauge OTA DVR
Daniel Chaves is online now  
post #8 of 11 Old 08-12-2017, 01:22 PM
Advanced Member
 
rak306's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Syracuse NY
Posts: 992
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 617 Post(s)
Liked: 255
no Dolby Vision for projectors

We have to remember how controlling Dolby is. With a DV TV, no user adjustments are allowed while watching DV content. Dolby is also the inventor of PQ with its absolute levels. (Optimizing the TV signal for only 12 bits, when there was no need to optimize it. A 16 bit 422 [email protected] 24 fps fits within the HDMI 1.4 bandwidth).

So with projectors, with no guarantee of absolute brightness, it may be a non-starter for Dolby. Yet with DV movie theaters, they obviously have no issue with a 108 NIT max peak output.

IMHO, this is just a red herring, as one could have user inputs to state what max output you have, or a projector vendor could have an inexpensive sensor that measured peak brightness during a setup mode.

As to the advantage of dynamic metadata, (IMHO) the advantage is totally overblown. Any projector with dynamic iris now must be calculating on-the-fly the same peak and average white level per frame that is in the DV metadata. And then you can guarantee it's accurate.

So to me, the only real advantage to DV is 12 bit signals with no banding.
rak306 is offline  
post #9 of 11 Old 08-12-2017, 01:25 PM
Mark Henninger
 
imagic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 16,094
Mentioned: 442 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9171 Post(s)
Liked: 16173
Quote:
Originally Posted by rak306 View Post
We have to remember how controlling Dolby is. With a DV TV, no user adjustments are allowed while watching DV content. Dolby is also the inventor of PQ with its absolute levels. (Optimizing the TV signal for only 12 bits, when there was no need to optimize it. A 16 bit 422 [email protected] 24 fps fits within the HDMI 1.4 bandwidth).

So with projectors, with no guarantee of absolute brightness, it may be a non-starter for Dolby. Yet with DV movie theaters, they obviously have no issue with a 108 NIT max peak output.

IMHO, this is just a red herring, as one could have user inputs to state what max output you have, or a projector vendor could have an inexpensive sensor that measured peak brightness during a setup mode.

As to the advantage of dynamic metadata, (IMHO) the advantage is totally overblown. Any projector with dynamic iris now must be calculating on-the-fly the same peak and average white level per frame that is in the DV metadata. And then you can guarantee it's accurate.

So to me, the only real advantage to DV is 12 bit signals with no banding.
TCL P-Series lets you choose dark or bright room with Dolby Vision, to adjust for ambient light. So that's not strictly true.

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum
imagic is offline  
post #10 of 11 Old 08-12-2017, 02:24 PM
Advanced Member
 
rak306's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Syracuse NY
Posts: 992
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 617 Post(s)
Liked: 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagic View Post
TCL P-Series lets you choose dark or bright room with Dolby Vision, to adjust for ambient light. So that's not strictly true.
Is that part of the PQ spec? Is it part of DV spec? Or is that just what a manufacturer decided to do?

And exactly what does it do in low vs high ambient?
rak306 is offline  
post #11 of 11 Old 08-12-2017, 02:30 PM
Mark Henninger
 
imagic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 16,094
Mentioned: 442 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9171 Post(s)
Liked: 16173
Quote:
Originally Posted by rak306 View Post
Is that part of the PQ spec? Is it part of DV spec? Or is that just what a manufacturer decided to do?

And exactly what does it do in low vs high ambient?
I don't know what contracts TCL has with Dolby. Bright is brighter overall.
rak306 likes this.

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum
imagic is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply AVS Forum® Podcasts

Tags
dolby atmos , dolby vision , high-res audio , Home Theater Geeks , virtual reality

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off