Home Theater Geeks Canceled - Page 4 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 265Likes

post #91 of 189 Old 11-05-2017, 03:55 PM
Bass and Hi-Fi Enthusiast

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1988 Post(s)
Liked: 973
@Scott Wilkinson - sorry the show was cancelled! I looked forward to tuning in every Thursday for my evening commute home from work. I do hope you decide to start it back up under another platform at some point. I learned a wealth of knowledge from Home Theater Geeks. Looking forward to any future projects you might undertake!

| 7.2.4 Photos (Updated Photos 1/5) | Frequency Response | Visual: LG 65” B7A OLED | Elite VMAX-2 Electric 120" | Optoma GT1080 Proj |
| AVR/Amps: Marantz SR-6011 9C | Audio Source AMP-100VS | iNuke 1000DSP; TTs: 4x AuraSound Pro |
| Center: B&W CM Center 2 S2 Ed | Fronts: 2x B&W 684 S1s | Side Surrounds: 2x B&W 685 S1 |
| Front/Rear Heights: 4x Polk T15 | In-Ceiling: 2x Micca M-8C | Subs: 2x Rythmik FV15HP |
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 189 Old 11-05-2017, 09:57 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 6
It sucks I looked forward to it every week.
snpanago likes this.
post #93 of 189 Old 11-07-2017, 11:13 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked: 237
Quote:
Originally Posted by blurule View Post
It sucks I looked forward to it every week.
Say it ain't so, Scott.

Don't you just wish HDMI would crawl off to some darkened corner and die a sad, lonely death?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #94 of 189 Old 11-09-2017, 09:19 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wilkinson View Post
I deeply regret to report that my podcast, Home Theater Geeks, has been canceled by TWiT, the online IPTV station that has been its home for nearly eight years. The decision was purely economic; it had nothing to do with the quality of the show, which everyone at TWiT agrees was excellent.

Over the course of 373 episodes, it has been my distinct privilege and pleasure to interview many fascinating members of the audio/video community, including such notables as THX co-founder Tomlinson Holman (my very first guest!), music legend Alan Parsons, and special-effects wizard Douglas Trumbull. Of course, the lesser-known guests were no less important, and I thank them all for sharing their deep technical insight into the world of audio and video.

In addition to all my guests, I want to thank my audience for watching and listening to the show. It has been very gratifying to receive your feedback via email and PM as well as in person at various events. I'm very glad to have provided a weekly dose of audio/video geekery to those who find the subject as compelling as I do.

What about resurrecting Home Theater Geeks on a different platform? That's certainly a possibility. But for now, I've decided to take a break from the weekly work of lining up guests and conducting the show itself. I'll be considering other options, but for the time being, Home Theater Geeks is on hiatus.

Meanwhile, you can still enjoy past episodes. All 373 shows are archived and available on the TWiT website, and episodes 220 to 373 can be found here on AVS Forum.

Thanks again for all your support; it's been a great eight years! And of course, I'll still be posting articles, reviews, and answers to your audio/video questions on AVS Forum. I look forward to continuing to interact with you in the forums as well as via email and PM, so please keep those virtual cards and letters coming!
I am very sad to see this show end. Scott had a great way of interacting with his guests with which there were so many great interviews. I observed all of the shows from my computer on one of multiple displays while working. I often went back and viewed shows over again, or researched topics online which they were being discussed. I enjoyed learning from industry experts like Steve Bishop with the history of cinema and aspect ratios to modern technology in home theater. I hope that Scott will find another platform on which to continue his show on the near future. In the interim we will all miss his presence and will be waiting to see him again.

Thank you Scott for your commitment over the last 8 years.
post #95 of 189 Old 11-11-2017, 06:16 PM

Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Wow, firstly I'm shocked that this show was cancelled. It was by far the best thing on Twit TV by a very large margin. I truly enjoyed every show as it was not only interesting, but Scott made sure that difficult subjects were easy to understand. Not least of all you helped us improve our enjoyment of audio and video which to me is an extremely important part of my quality of life.

Thank you for all your years or hard work, it's great appreciated by all of us.

As I watched this show though an Android box I now have literally no other source of audio/video news and information.

If anyone could share links or repositories that contain video podcasts for the Android box on anything audio related it would be very much appreciated. I need something....anything to tide me over until Scotts return.

Thank you.

Make something idiot-proof, and they will build a better idiot
post #96 of 189 Old 11-15-2017, 07:47 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 2
So sad, I already miss hearing your voice and your entertaining guests!
I wish you find a way to come back and thanks for all the hard work.
post #97 of 189 Old 11-17-2017, 08:04 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked: 100
I finally decided to look on the forums to see why new podcasts were not appearing on my device. Man, what a shocker! I have been a listener for many years. I always looked forward to listening to the latest show every Friday during my commute. The topics were diverse and the guests were amazing. I have learned so much from the show, and I hope that it can somehow continue in some form. Please let us know if it receives a revival. In the meantime, enjoy some well-deserved time off, Scott.
post #98 of 189 Old 11-17-2017, 03:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 29
I enjoyed the show also. My only criticism (which appears to be have been made on other forums) is Scott could sometimes overlaugh (if that is the term) and I found that somewhat annoying.

Still it beats the overtalking that Leo Laporte does on all his own shows. He always talks over his panelists insisting on his point of view. Leo not being this podcast was a godsend!
post #99 of 189 Old 11-19-2017, 10:51 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Well I think this is an opportunity for you Scott. While Twit may have provided a nice aid in producing and marketing the show, you have quite a following now and could easily get something going on your own. Start small. It doesn't have to be an hour podcast. Honestly, I only listened to Leo on the day's you were on and skipped to 20 minutes to listen to your advice on TV's, projectors..etc.. Your podcast helped me build an amazing home theater in my house. Leo's show was just a roadblock to get to the good stuff. YOU!!

I hope you will find a way to continue even if it's small. I really value your input on what products are good and why, what technology is up and coming, and who has the best bang for the buck. Sure, I can look it up on this forum and elsewhere, but I trust you, and the podcast is such an easy way to get the information, and the detail you offer is sooo valuable.

Keep it going. Moving away from Leo is good thing!!! IMO
post #100 of 189 Old 11-20-2017, 04:27 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 68
I came here looking for the most recent HTG episode, since it's been several weeks. I'm really sad to hear HTG was cancelled. It was definitively my favorite show. Thank you Scott for your great work and I hope one day something of equally high quality can be resurrected.

U-Turn Orbit Plus turntable, Marantz SR-7009 AVR, iNuke 6000DSP, DIY LinkwitzLab speakers, MartyCube + JohnnySub, BenQ W1070, Roku stick, Plex
post #101 of 189 Old 11-29-2017, 01:34 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
I deeply regret to report that my podcast, Home Theater Geeks, has been canceled by TWiT, the online IPTV station that has been its home for nearly eight years. The decision was purely economic; it had nothing to do with the quality of the show, which everyone at TWiT agrees was excellent.

Over the course of 373 episodes, it has been my distinct privilege and pleasure to interview many fascinating members of the audio/video community, including such notables as THX co-founder Tomlinson Holman (my very first guest!), music legend Alan Parsons, and special-effects wizard Douglas Trumbull. Of course, the lesser-known guests were no less important, and I thank them all for sharing their deep technical insight into the world of audio and video.

In addition to all my guests, I want to thank my audience for watching and listening to the show. It has been very gratifying to receive your feedback via email and PM as well as in person at various events. I'm very glad to have provided a weekly dose of audio/video geekery to those who find the subject as compelling as I do.

What about resurrecting Home Theater Geeks on a different platform? That's certainly a possibility. But for now, I've decided to take a break from the weekly work of lining up guests and conducting the show itself. I'll be considering other options, but for the time being, Home Theater Geeks is on hiatus.

Meanwhile, you can still enjoy past episodes. All 373 shows are archived and available on the TWiT website, and episodes 220 to 373 can be found here on AVS Forum.

Thanks again for all your support; it's been a great eight years! And of course, I'll still be posting articles, reviews, and answers to your audio/video questions on AVS Forum. I look forward to continuing to interact with you in the forums as well as via email and PM, so please keep those virtual cards and letters coming!
Scott,

I'm another long time listener of Home Theater Geeks who's jonesing for a fix. Please consider an AVSforum production of this excellent podcast. Yours was the only show that I kept up with on TWIT. Your jovial personality, established knowledge, and connection to great guests will be missed!

Please consider bringing the show back as a podcast-only production. I'm willing to donate time and technical skills to help get you up and running again, if you are interested (although I'm on the east coast, in Boston).

"What you got back home, little sister, to play your fuzzy warbles on? I bet you got, say, pitiful portable picnic players."

Last edited by KilgoreT; 11-29-2017 at 02:46 PM.
post #102 of 189 Old 12-04-2017, 06:56 AM

Liked: 12
Thanks for doing such a great Job. It will be missed.
post #103 of 189 Old 12-05-2017, 09:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 998 Post(s)
Liked: 853
Thanks Scott for bring this content to us geeks over the years.
post #104 of 189 Old 12-19-2017, 09:55 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
@Scott Wilkinson

Hi Scott,

Do you have any plan to continue the show on your own?
As others have said, you have built an audience which should help bootstrap a new show on YouTube, maybe with some Patreon.com support if needed?

Kind regards from Switzerland,
MJA
post #105 of 189 Old 12-19-2017, 11:43 AM
Bass and Hi-Fi Enthusiast

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1988 Post(s)
Liked: 973
Quote:
Originally Posted by avsmja View Post
@Scott Wilkinson

Hi Scott,

Do you have any plan to continue the show on your own?
As others have said, you have built an audience which should help bootstrap a new show on YouTube, maybe with some Patreon.com support if needed?

Kind regards from Switzerland,
MJA
I'd be in to watch!

| 7.2.4 Photos (Updated Photos 1/5) | Frequency Response | Visual: LG 65” B7A OLED | Elite VMAX-2 Electric 120" | Optoma GT1080 Proj |
| AVR/Amps: Marantz SR-6011 9C | Audio Source AMP-100VS | iNuke 1000DSP; TTs: 4x AuraSound Pro |
| Center: B&W CM Center 2 S2 Ed | Fronts: 2x B&W 684 S1s | Side Surrounds: 2x B&W 685 S1 |
| Front/Rear Heights: 4x Polk T15 | In-Ceiling: 2x Micca M-8C | Subs: 2x Rythmik FV15HP |
post #106 of 189 Old 12-19-2017, 12:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 675 Post(s)
Liked: 692
Quote:
Originally Posted by citsur86 View Post
I'd be in to watch!
Me, too.
post #107 of 189 Old 12-21-2017, 06:21 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 2
This is sad news. Is there no way to continue it without Leo, who is awesome, and TWIT? Even if the production quality were less it is about the greatness of you and the guests.
post #108 of 189 Old 12-27-2017, 05:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Thank you Scott for the great show it will be missed! It was such a great source of information and nice to see the interviews with those in the industry. I think it is a shame they cut the show!

HT System: Marantz SR-8012 11.2 (7.2.4) Receiver, Sony XBR55A9F 55"OLED 4K HDR/Dolby Vision/IMAX Enhanced TV, Panasonic DP-UB9000 4K UHD Blu-ray Player, Toshiba HD-XA2 HD-DVD player,4K Apple TV 64GB, Speakers: Altec Lancing A-7's (L&R), Bowers & Wilkins HTM61 S2 center channel, Klipsch RP-600M Surround Speakers, Advent Marbles (Height Speakers), HSU VTF-3 MK5HP Subwoofer. AudioQuest Cables, Pangea Audio speaker stands.
post #109 of 189 Old 12-31-2017, 01:36 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 718 Post(s)
Liked: 141
I'm too lazy to read every post on here. So, what about hosting it on YouTube?

And the payoff is never certain: Some observers contend that a generation has already been trained to be content with the small screen.

Some servers can do non-encrypted playback to an A/V projector, but it's just a ridiculously expensive media player if you don't have a cinema projector.
post #110 of 189 Old 12-31-2017, 04:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 164 Post(s)
Quoted: 4424 Post(s)
Liked: 6701
Quote:
Originally Posted by CinemaAndy View Post
I'm too lazy to read every post on here. So, what about hosting it on YouTube?
It's already on YouTube, that's not the issue. Try to be a little less lazy
barfle and Kev Greenhalgh like this.

HDMI 2.0 4K modes | Dolby & DTS core+outer audio tracks on (UHD) Blu-Rays | Hello to Jason Isaacs
post #111 of 189 Old 01-10-2018, 01:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Liked: 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrtickleuk View Post
It's already on YouTube, that's not the issue. Try to be a little less lazy
I think he means what about hosting new episodes on YouTube? ie. the only episodes on youtube are the past episodes aren't they? Surely the series could continue on youtube (new episodes) and still earn revenue from there. Hosting the new episodes on youtube could also allow a bit of time for any post production if wanted/things that can't be done live easily.
post #112 of 189 Old 01-10-2018, 04:22 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked: 165
Sad to hear/read this news.
Your shows were/are informative and very interesting.
I hope you will return in some form.
I also hope you will enjoy yourself during this period.

TV: Samsung 60KS8000, AVR: Marantz SR5011, Speakers: front/Paradigm Prestige 15B bookshelf, center/Paradigm Prestige 45C, surround/Paradigm Atom, sub/SVS SB3000, DVD: LG UBK 90 UHD DVD Player, Remote: Logitech Harmony Ultimate Home
post #113 of 189 Old 01-10-2018, 06:40 PM

Liked: 1
I feel like I’m really missing out on something. Where’s the CES coverage? I was a very long time listener, I miss you Scott!
petexian likes this.
post #114 of 189 Old 01-12-2018, 11:08 PM

Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked: 68
I came here looking for a CES recap and just noticed HTG was canceled. I truly hope Scott starts something up again. I used to be the ultimate Leo Laport fan starting with the original Screen Savers, but these days TWIT is not very entertaining and and Leo looks to be winging it, (at our expense), most of the time. I don't think he spends much time researching these days. Things that I have been aware of for a while, are today's news for him. Anyway I hope he gets his MOJO back.
hughh likes this.

Samsung QN55Q8FN / Pioneer Elite SC-81 AV Receiver/ Outlaw 5000 Amplifier/ ELAC Uni-Fi B5 Book Shelves/ SVS PB-1000 Subwoofer/ Roku Ultra / Bluesound Node 2 / iFi SPDIF iPurifier/ MiniDSP 2x4 HD
post #115 of 189 Old 01-12-2018, 11:36 PM

Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Scott is still vastly entertaining and informative as major part of the Leo show, even if he doesn't have his own show anymore. Granted, as a guest on somebody else's popular show he has to be more 'consumer friendly', avoiding much of the techno-speak and engineering jargons of the Home Theater 'Geeks' catering to a small niche segment. I personally prefer this more popular approach and that's why I still listen to these Leo podcasts.

Source: Thinkpad running iTunes/JRMC upsampling to 24/192
DAC/SACD: Oppo 105D
Amps: Pathos Aurium, Chord Mojo, LG V20 (quad-dac)
AVR: Yamaha Aventage RX-A3010
Headphones: AKG K812, AKG K3003
post #116 of 189 Old 01-15-2018, 04:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 564 Post(s)
Liked: 533
Scott, need my HTG fix, can you give us an update on a relaunch?
post #117 of 189 Old 01-16-2018, 11:16 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 1
What a major loss

I feel this is a considerable loss for those of us geeks. So much of what is out there is very opinionated or sided toward a particular manufacturer instead of factual such as HTG. Some of the decisions I made for my HT was a result of information learned from this podcast. TWIT has made a major bad decision in canceling this show. Granted, I never watched the show on TWit itself but rather through my apple TV by way of iTunes pod-casting. I do hope that the show will someday resume. I had been on a bit of hiatus myself as I've been back in school working on my degree in Computer Information Science and had realized that CES 2018 had just happened and wanted to tune in and see what HTG had to say and show of this years CES show. I was sorely disappointed when I found the show with nothing new since 9/28/17.
mrtickleuk likes this.
post #118 of 189 Old 01-17-2018, 06:27 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:

I am so sorry to hear this Scott! Your podcast was always very helpful and informative and I always enjoyed your in-depth knowledge in the industry. It helped me to figure out which direction to take on my Home Theater Installation on several occasions. You have been and always will be my go-to source for Home Theater related content and knowledge. TWIT does not know what it is missing by removing your show (one of the most interesting shows that their network ever had). Thank you!
post #119 of 189 Old 01-21-2018, 09:38 AM

Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 65
WOW Scott what happened on this week's Leo Laporte podcast?!?!! Your host kept cutting you off and acting really rude like a know-it-all jackass. He needs to chill or smoke some of that now-legalized stuff. If I were a guest on his show I would have certainly told him off.

I say you don't need to suffer this fool anymore. Just start a new Youtube channel with weekly uploads and we'll all be your subscribers.

Source: Thinkpad running iTunes/JRMC upsampling to 24/192
DAC/SACD: Oppo 105D
Amps: Pathos Aurium, Chord Mojo, LG V20 (quad-dac)
AVR: Yamaha Aventage RX-A3010
Headphones: AKG K812, AKG K3003
post #120 of 189 Old 01-21-2018, 03:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 164 Post(s)
Quoted: 4424 Post(s)
Liked: 6701
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfy701 View Post
WOW Scott what happened on this week's Leo Laporte podcast?!?!! Your host kept cutting you off and acting really rude like a know-it-all jackass.
I've never seen him NOT do that. He's thoroughly unprofessional and would never get a job for one of the more traditional broadcasters.
marcusb84 and Kev Greenhalgh like this.

HDMI 2.0 4K modes | Dolby & DTS core+outer audio tracks on (UHD) Blu-Rays | Hello to Jason Isaacs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply AVS Forum® Podcasts

Tags
Home Theater Geeks

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page