Home Theater Geeks Canceled - Page 5 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 265Likes

post #121 of 189 Old 01-25-2018, 05:44 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I think it's for the best. I had listened for years, but I was somehow unaware of the drama over some people not being on the shows anymore. I always thought Leo was kind of a jerk, but I could tolerate him until I read about some of this stuff. Then there's the stuff where he's inadvertently shown texts from his girlfriend while he was getting a divorce.. and then he married that woman and has shown some private pictures by mistake on the show. Now I think he's a creepy jerk and I stopped listening to everything on the network.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 189 Old 01-25-2018, 11:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 170 Post(s)
Quoted: 4541 Post(s)
Liked: 6842
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcusb84 View Post
I think it's for the best. I had listened for years, but I was somehow unaware of the drama over some people not being on the shows anymore. I always thought Leo was kind of a jerk, but I could tolerate him until I read about some of this stuff. Then there's the stuff where he's inadvertently shown texts from his girlfriend while he was getting a divorce.. and then he married that woman and has shown some private pictures by mistake on the show. Now I think he's a creepy jerk and I stopped listening to everything on the network.
I only ever watched it on YouTube. Wasn't even aware there was an internet based TV channel or this "Leo" person. It's only after he cancelled the show I saw footage of him and saw how unprofessional he is. And only later I realised it was his TVs that Scott was calibrating in the calibration episodes.

But many of us were completely detached from Twit TV, why would we watch on a website when we have YouTube? It's never going to be better than YouTube, is it. lol.

HDMI 2.0 4K modes | Dolby & DTS core+outer audio tracks on (UHD) Blu-Rays | Hello to Jason Isaacs
post #123 of 189 Old 01-25-2018, 11:42 AM

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrtickleuk View Post
I only ever watched it on YouTube. Wasn't even aware there was an internet based TV channel or this "Leo" person. It's only after he cancelled the show I saw footage of him and saw how unprofessional he is. And only later I realised it was his TVs that Scott was calibrating in the calibration episodes.

But many of us were completely detached from Twit TV, why would we watch on a website when we have YouTube? It's never going to be better than YouTube, is it. lol.
I've been watching Leo since before Twit.tv. I watched him on The Screen Savers on TechTV. Some Twit shows were not on YouTube due to copyright flagging issues.. not sure if that was ever an issue with HTG, but I remember them having issues with it on other shows. I don't think the point was to replace YouTube at all, just one place to see it all that THEY controlled which I think is wise. Just look at all the drama going on with YouTube the last year or two.

But yeah.. Leo is not very professional sometimes and it's a shame, because Twit was actually a good network and some of the hosts of the shows like HTG were great people.
Dark Matter and mrtickleuk like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #124 of 189 Old 01-30-2018, 02:17 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 290 Post(s)
Liked: 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfy701 View Post
WOW Scott what happened on this week's Leo Laporte podcast?!?!! Your host kept cutting you off and acting really rude like a know-it-all jackass. He needs to chill or smoke some of that now-legalized stuff. If I were a guest on his show I would have certainly told him off.

I say you don't need to suffer this fool anymore. Just start a new Youtube channel with weekly uploads and we'll all be your subscribers.
What's the podcast called and episode?

Room| Treated | Sound| Front: Ino Audio i32s, Center: Ino Audio i16s, Surrounds: 6 x Ino a2, 6 x Ino a1, Subs: 6 x Ino Infra-Y|
Picture | Epson TW9300, Seymour Center Stage UF 130.4" retractable 2.35:1 |
Electronics | Arcam AVR390(Dirac Live), 3x Ncore nc400 monoblocks, Emotiva XPA-2 Gen2, EP4000, Panasonic UB700, Allo Katana + Isolator 1.2(Roon bridge/DAC), ATV 4K |
post #125 of 189 Old 01-30-2018, 05:51 PM

Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked: 452
I hope you find a new home. Good you can get away from Leo. He is a terrible person.
mrtickleuk likes this.

LG 65C7
Denon AVR-X3300W
Q Acoustics 3020 fronts, 3090 center, 3010 surrounds
SVS PB-1000
Samsung K8500
post #126 of 189 Old 01-30-2018, 06:33 PM

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by philipbtz View Post
What's the podcast called and episode?
"The Tech Guy", episode#1455, January 20, 2018
fast-forward to 17:48

Source: Thinkpad running iTunes/JRMC upsampling to 24/192
DAC/SACD: Oppo 105D
Amps: Pathos Aurium, Chord Mojo, LG V20 (quad-dac)
AVR: Yamaha Aventage RX-A3010
Headphones: AKG K812, AKG K3003
post #127 of 189 Old 01-31-2018, 06:36 AM

Quoted: 290 Post(s)
Liked: 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfy701 View Post
"The Tech Guy", episode#1455, January 20, 2018
fast-forward to 17:48
Felt terrible listening to that..
marcusb84 likes this.

Room| Treated | Sound| Front: Ino Audio i32s, Center: Ino Audio i16s, Surrounds: 6 x Ino a2, 6 x Ino a1, Subs: 6 x Ino Infra-Y|
Picture | Epson TW9300, Seymour Center Stage UF 130.4" retractable 2.35:1 |
Electronics | Arcam AVR390(Dirac Live), 3x Ncore nc400 monoblocks, Emotiva XPA-2 Gen2, EP4000, Panasonic UB700, Allo Katana + Isolator 1.2(Roon bridge/DAC), ATV 4K |
post #128 of 189 Old 01-31-2018, 12:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 675 Post(s)
Liked: 692
I listened to Scott's entire portion on that broadcast. He's as jovial and technical as we know and love him to be. Leo's interaction with him was generally courteous and his interruptions were consistent with he and Scott being very familiar with each other.

That being said, there were 2 instances where Leo abruptly cut off Scott as a result of the latter wanting to go to a commercial or another caller. These were awkward and should have been more politely handled by Leo; it was unnecessary to chastise Scott for not being mindful of the time on the public airways.

Scott, you are accomplished and savvy enough to have your own YouTube Channel; most of us already are subscribers to the AVS Forum channel there. Would love to see you there at the very least.
AlexanderDelarg likes this.
post #129 of 189 Old 02-03-2018, 01:52 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
So sorry this has happened. Home Theater Geeks was a weekly listen. I was moving around the time the shows stopped, and since my wifi took a while to set up and my "unlimited" cellphone account started to throttle me, I could only re-listen to a show or two. Luckily, one of them was with Bob Carver.

I hope you will resume later.
post #130 of 189 Old 02-07-2018, 08:59 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Unhappy Noooooooooooooo

You've got to be kidding... I only discovered you last year and HTG is my favorite podcast. What a bummer.
post #131 of 189 Old 02-09-2018, 09:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 509 Post(s)
Liked: 476
I was wondering where the show went. Yeah, I am subscribed to the Youtube Channel. Scott, set up the Youtube channel for HTG and go direct!

Stand tall and shake the heavens...
post #132 of 189 Old 02-10-2018, 07:56 AM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wilkinson View Post
I deeply regret to report that my podcast, Home Theater Geeks, has been canceled by TWiT, the online IPTV station that has been its home for nearly eight years. The decision was purely economic; it had nothing to do with the quality of the show, which everyone at TWiT agrees was excellent.

Over the course of 373 episodes, it has been my distinct privilege and pleasure to interview many fascinating members of the audio/video community, including such notables as THX co-founder Tomlinson Holman (my very first guest!), music legend Alan Parsons, and special-effects wizard Douglas Trumbull. Of course, the lesser-known guests were no less important, and I thank them all for sharing their deep technical insight into the world of audio and video.

In addition to all my guests, I want to thank my audience for watching and listening to the show. It has been very gratifying to receive your feedback via email and PM as well as in person at various events. I'm very glad to have provided a weekly dose of audio/video geekery to those who find the subject as compelling as I do.

What about resurrecting Home Theater Geeks on a different platform? That's certainly a possibility. But for now, I've decided to take a break from the weekly work of lining up guests and conducting the show itself. I'll be considering other options, but for the time being, Home Theater Geeks is on hiatus.

Meanwhile, you can still enjoy past episodes. All 373 shows are archived and available on the TWiT website, and episodes 220 to 373 can be found here on AVS Forum.

Thanks again for all your support; it's been a great eight years! And of course, I'll still be posting articles, reviews, and answers to your audio/video questions on AVS Forum. I look forward to continuing to interact with you in the forums as well as via email and PM, so please keep those virtual cards and letters coming!
Scott, I'm sorry to hear the news and want to thank you for eight great years of content. I watched your program religiously and learned so much from you and your amazing guests. I'm installing four ceiling speakers today and will be launching my new Dolby Atmos/DTS-X tonight with the winter Olympics opening ceremony. The episodes on immersive sound helped out more than you know.

I know you will continue to carry the torch of the Home Theater hobby in your articles, HT of the Month features and trade show coverage and for that I'm grateful. Keep up the great work!
Dark Matter likes this.
post #133 of 189 Old 02-23-2018, 04:46 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
This is my first post here after lurking for a few years now. I wanted to thank Scott for all his hard work for my enjoyment and education. I started spending a lot more time browsing these forums after listening to HTG and can definitely say that listening to the show opened my mind to many facets of home theatre and film/music technology in general. I also got a kick out of the face that Scott was a Trombone player (as I also played/studied Trombone professionally for a while) as it's an instrument that requires an ear for tuning similar to non-fretted string instruments. As I just landed my first full-time decently paying job around a year ago I am only in the beginning stages of assembling any new audiophile/mid-end equipment but the many guests on this show have deterred me from overpaying for equipment and buying gimmicky cables/stands so I can spend my hard earned money appropriately based on the room and source material I am dealing with.
post #134 of 189 Old 02-23-2018, 05:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 675 Post(s)
Liked: 692
So, @Scott Wilkinson , if you've been following this thread periodically, you know that you're sorely missed!
Do you have any plans for anything like a reboot of a HTG YouTube channel?
unretarded likes this.
post #135 of 189 Old 02-28-2018, 09:07 PM

Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked: 136
Your show will be greatly missed. Thanks for all the great content that you provided over the years and thanks for all the positive impact that you had on the community. I learned so much from your shows. The quality of presentation, content, and special guests that you had were top notch. Enjoy your hiatus, hope to see you soon!
post #136 of 189 Old 03-18-2018, 06:28 PM

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by snpanago View Post
So, @Scott Wilkinson , if you've been following this thread periodically, you know that you're sorely missed!
Do you have any plans for anything like a reboot of a HTG YouTube channel?
It's been too long @scottwilkins on we need a AVS Forum podcast, audio is just fine and can be done very inexpensively. Please come back to us.
[Irishman] likes this.
post #137 of 189 Old 04-11-2018, 01:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 505 Post(s)
Liked: 1001
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanAbby View Post
It's been too long @scottwilkins on we need a AVS Forum podcast, audio is just fine and can be done very inexpensively. Please come back to us.
Yes please start a new podcast @scottwilkins on! Home Theater Geeks is sorely missed!

EDIT: looks like his address is wrong, and it won't let me change it cause it just reverts back to the wrong address each time I edit it!! I just want to type Scott Wilkinson's address but it reverts so Im gunna try a new post.

JBL Pro Cinema/JTR/JVC/Denon/Oppo/Roku Ultra/Elite Screens/Furman/Seatcraft/Acoustimac/AudioQuest

Last edited by Reddig; 04-11-2018 at 01:43 PM.
post #138 of 189 Old 04-11-2018, 01:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

@Scott Wilkinson

Works in a new window.

JBL Pro Cinema/JTR/JVC/Denon/Oppo/Roku Ultra/Elite Screens/Furman/Seatcraft/Acoustimac/AudioQuest
post #139 of 189 Old 05-03-2018, 03:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 568 Post(s)
Liked: 549
Scott, long time, we haven't heard from you - R.I.P for HTG or is something in the works?
post #140 of 189 Old 05-04-2018, 01:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 576 Post(s)
Liked: 452
Bring back HTG! @Scott Wilkinson
johnvnross likes this.

Current gear: UN65JS8500 (Main TV), M40-C2(Guestroom TV), I1D3(Using HCFR)
Retired: TH-50PX80U, M55-C2 (Returned)
Duds: 2x XBR-65X930D(bent frame, 3D unwatchable and clouding), P65-C1(3x Yellow banding, dead pixels), UN65JS8500(blue bleed) UN60J6200 (Returned, dead pixels), M65-C1(3x Defective units, all dead pixel and yellow banding)
post #141 of 189 Old 05-11-2018, 02:37 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 12
It is both comical and depressing to see how badly Leo bungled podcasting once the format finally got traction. Somehow he still hasn't learned that he should have been investing in people and content rather than an affair and countless lavish vacations. I had a lot of good friends lose their jobs at TWiT so that he could selfishly support his consumption habits. @Scott Wilkinson was far too good for him.
johnvnross and mrtickleuk like this.
post #142 of 189 Old 05-13-2018, 02:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinbon View Post
It is both comical and depressing to see how badly Leo bungled podcasting once the format finally got traction. Somehow he still hasn't learned that he should have been investing in people and content rather than an affair and countless lavish vacations. I had a lot of good friends lose their jobs at TWiT so that he could selfishly support his consumption habits. @Scott Wilkinson was far too good for him.
Indeed. Leo Laporte is a foolish man too. He knows very little about any topic.
mrtickleuk likes this.

post #143 of 189 Old 05-22-2018, 05:47 PM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinbon View Post
All I know is that I miss my weekly HTG fix. I’d have paid money per week to watch them too. Surely there are enough of us that would pay for scott to do something?! It’s sad.

John
Reddig likes this.

screen goo, jvc x3, avfoundry video eq pro, ee colour colorbox, calman video pro, lightspace LTE, c6 hdr2000, i1pro1/2, murideo six g / six a, sencore vp403c, virtualforge/aja t.tap, oppo 205, marantz av7702 mk ii, dolby lake processor, genelec 1038,1038bc,8040,8030,8020,8010,7050,7071,blue jeans cabling, smaart v.8, earthworks m23, dbx-m
post #144 of 189 Old 05-22-2018, 05:50 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reddig View Post
Indeed. Leo Laporte is a foolish man too. He knows very little about any topic.
Nice jbl 3677 move by the way.
Reddig likes this.

screen goo, jvc x3, avfoundry video eq pro, ee colour colorbox, calman video pro, lightspace LTE, c6 hdr2000, i1pro1/2, murideo six g / six a, sencore vp403c, virtualforge/aja t.tap, oppo 205, marantz av7702 mk ii, dolby lake processor, genelec 1038,1038bc,8040,8030,8020,8010,7050,7071,blue jeans cabling, smaart v.8, earthworks m23, dbx-m
post #145 of 189 Old 05-24-2018, 11:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnvnross View Post
All I know is that I miss my weekly HTG fix. I’d have paid money per week to watch them too. Surely there are enough of us that would pay for scott to do something?! It’s sad.

John
Very sad. I miss HTG very much and was a thing I looked forward to for years. Id pay a small fee to help keep it going.

Quote:
Nice jbl 3677 move by the way.
Hey thanks man. I love their huge, dynamic sound.

post #146 of 189 Old 05-27-2018, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reddig View Post
Very sad. I miss HTG very much and was a thing I looked forward to for years. Id pay a small fee to help keep it going.

Hey thanks man. I love their huge, dynamic sound.
Indeed, I also have 15” cones in my LR speakers. Much fun.
Reddig likes this.

post #147 of 189 Old 05-30-2018, 11:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Indeed, I also have 15” cones in my LR speakers. Much fun.
Nice man.

post #148 of 189 Old 06-05-2018, 09:15 PM

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Hi Scott,

I am devastated as I see that your show has not been produced since September. You just HAVE to find a way to get this wonderful show back on the air. I don’t know about Leo, but I know that Home Theater Geeks is all Scott Wilkinson magic. I just love when you and Robert Heron are together. You guys are truly terrific when working together. The shows where you guys do the calibrations are really magic and i never tire of them. I sincerely hope we see Home theater Geeks come back permanently on the air. please feature Robert H a lot too.

Cheers Scott and Very Highest Regards,
AdamO
Reddig likes this.
post #149 of 189 Old 07-06-2018, 06:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Bloggs View Post
I think he means what about hosting new episodes on YouTube? ie. the only episodes on youtube are the past episodes aren't they? Surely the series could continue on youtube (new episodes) and still earn revenue from there. Hosting the new episodes on youtube could also allow a bit of time for any post production if wanted/things that can't be done live easily.

YouTube, and might I consider Twitch as well.

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling that thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a...
post #150 of 189 Old 08-29-2018, 01:19 PM

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 51
@Scott Wilkinson
And with the latest news, I hope to see you somewhere familiar in the near future!

#bringon2019
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply AVS Forum® Podcasts

Tags
Home Theater Geeks

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page