Home Theater Geeks Canceled - Page 6 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 265Likes

post #151 of 189 Old 09-15-2018, 10:18 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer View Post
@Scott Wilkinson
And with the latest news, I hope to see you somewhere familiar in the near future!

#bringon2019
Patreon!?!??!?!?!! I'd contribute if Home Theater Geeks returned !!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 189 Old 09-15-2018, 04:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 588 Post(s)
Liked: 577
First HTG was cancelled and now farewell to AVS. Good luck Scott, hope to see you up and running soon with your own show.
post #153 of 189 Old 09-16-2018, 11:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 676 Post(s)
Liked: 692
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orbitron View Post
First HTG was cancelled and now farewell to AVS. Good luck Scott, hope to see you up and running soon with your own show.
Where can I find the announcement or article about Scott's departure from AVS? Thanks.
mrtickleuk likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #154 of 189 Old 09-16-2018, 08:48 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 3593 Post(s)
Liked: 2007
Rumor has it that Scott is working on a new podcast.
catonic, barfle and mrtickleuk like this.

Having fun playing the new mobile game Volley Village
post #155 of 189 Old 09-28-2018, 06:17 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 9
Where is Scott Wilkinson? I have not seen him on Avs Forums or anywhere else.
vtalon and unretarded like this.
post #156 of 189 Old 10-09-2018, 06:37 AM

Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenager70 View Post
Where is Scott Wilkinson? I have not seen him on Avs Forums or anywhere else.
Saw his appearance this past week on TWIT "TNSS" reviewing the 100" Hisense and sitting as a guest on the Tech guy. It was good to see him for sure.
Haiej and unretarded like this.
post #157 of 189 Old 10-09-2018, 12:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 180 Post(s)
Quoted: 4877 Post(s)
Liked: 7173
Promise me that Leo isn't in it, and I'll watch it.
matted and barfle like this.

HDMI 2.0 4K modes | Dolby & DTS core+outer audio tracks on (UHD) Blu-Rays | Hello to Jason Isaacs
post #158 of 189 Old 10-10-2018, 08:55 PM

Quoted: 230 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Twit has not been the same since Leo got married. And i am saying this as a loyal Leo fan. All leo does anymore is show up. Add that with his almost permanent it seems vacations and I have ended up not watching the network much anymore. I really , really miss HTG. But now I guess he was advised to run it like a business, and it's like he has lost his passion for it. I guess making a handsome living was not as appealing after interacting with all those uber successful tech people.

Samsung QN55Q8FN / Pioneer Elite SC-81 AV Receiver/ Outlaw 5000 Amplifier/ ELAC Uni-Fi B5 Book Shelves/ SVS PB-1000 Subwoofer/ Roku Ultra / Bluesound Node 2 / iFi SPDIF iPurifier/ MiniDSP 2x4 HD
post #159 of 189 Old 10-10-2018, 09:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 320 Post(s)
Liked: 299
Its ironic that the majority of people upset about HTG being cancelled and saying Leo is a fool were watching the shows in a way that was difficult at best to monetize the show . They posted most podcasts on youtube to get them out in wider view , not to generate revenue from youtube . Their sponsors want numbers , whos listening or viewing at "x" time , and the way they do that is subscriptions to their podcasts and views from their website .

Relying on Youtube for your business is a risky proposition , your content can be pulled , they can decide to change terms , run competing advertising to your advertisers effecting your potential revenue , etc.

As for Leo being foolish and doesn't know what hes doing , he's employing 20 or so people , owns property , and can take extensive vacations whenever he wants to , and has been doing it for a number of years . You can say he's annoying and abrasive , I find him annoying sometimes too , but I would say that he is successful in his endeavor .

Podcasts aren't radio , if you have a podcast you enjoy , spend a minute to find out how it's monetized , if it isn't strictly through youtube or whatever source you get it from , take the time to either support it (patreon) or subscribe directly so they have the numbers for potential sponsors , or don't be surprised if it ends . People have to eat .

Turn that $*!# UP!! --Beethoven
post #160 of 189 Old 10-12-2018, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acras13 View Post
Its ironic that the majority of people upset about HTG being cancelled and saying Leo is a fool were watching the shows in a way that was difficult at best to monetize the show . They posted most podcasts on youtube to get them out in wider view , not to generate revenue from youtube . Their sponsors want numbers , whos listening or viewing at "x" time , and the way they do that is subscriptions to their podcasts and views from their website .

Relying on Youtube for your business is a risky proposition , your content can be pulled , they can decide to change terms , run competing advertising to your advertisers effecting your potential revenue , etc.

As for Leo being foolish and doesn't know what hes doing , he's employing 20 or so people , owns property , and can take extensive vacations whenever he wants to , and has been doing it for a number of years . You can say he's annoying and abrasive , I find him annoying sometimes too , but I would say that he is successful in his endeavor .

Podcasts aren't radio , if you have a podcast you enjoy , spend a minute to find out how it's monetized , if it isn't strictly through youtube or whatever source you get it from , take the time to either support it (patreon) or subscribe directly so they have the numbers for potential sponsors , or don't be surprised if it ends . People have to eat .

Well, the truth is that Twit did a poor job selling advertising on HTG. There are plenty of companies in the A/V industry that could have advertised on the show, but didn't. If a Twit sales guy had attended Cedia, then he could have found plenty of advertising opportunities.
barfle and mrtickleuk like this.

post #161 of 189 Old 10-13-2018, 08:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Its ironic that the majority of people upset about HTG being cancelled and saying Leo is a fool
[...]
As for Leo being foolish and doesn't know what hes doing
Not sure who was saying that but to be clear, I wasn't saying he was a "fool". In my posts, I have pointed out how thoroughly unprofessional he was: to insult his contributor on air multiple times and force him to just take it; to talk about firing him on air; and generally being an all-round nasty [censored by the snowflake software]. Such a person has no place in front of the camera.

I made no comment on his business acumen behind the camera, that was not the topic.

HDMI 2.0 4K modes | Dolby & DTS core+outer audio tracks on (UHD) Blu-Rays | Hello to Jason Isaacs

Last edited by mrtickleuk; 10-14-2018 at 01:39 AM.
post #162 of 189 Old 10-13-2018, 07:38 PM

Quoted: 230 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Quote:

Again the bottom line is I hardly watch(on Roku ) any more. I used to have the channel on all day.
I am sure I am not the only one...

Samsung QN55Q8FN / Pioneer Elite SC-81 AV Receiver/ Outlaw 5000 Amplifier/ ELAC Uni-Fi B5 Book Shelves/ SVS PB-1000 Subwoofer/ Roku Ultra / Bluesound Node 2 / iFi SPDIF iPurifier/ MiniDSP 2x4 HD
post #163 of 189 Old 12-31-2018, 08:51 PM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 17
If I can find out Scott is running a show, I'll be watching it!

For what it's worth, I spent dollar amounts with a comma in them buying products that supported HTG, and I'm happy with them.

I know what I like.
post #164 of 189 Old 01-02-2019, 12:38 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by barfle View Post
If I can find out Scott is running a show, I'll be watching it!

For what it's worth, I spent dollar amounts with a comma in them buying products that supported HTG, and I'm happy with them.
It was a shame to find this out, the cancellation of the show.
Did the advertisers not have a clue who was actually watching this show?

Do they not know the purchasing power of people here, the ones watching HTG and frequenting this forum?
Haiej and barfle like this.
post #165 of 189 Old 01-04-2019, 06:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 4991 Post(s)
Liked: 3830
I recently learned that Scott is gone from AVS. He was also behind HToM so that won't be happening any more either.

This is an "enthusiasts" forum. And while I understand the need to make money running it, to the extent they lose things like good people (Scott) and good pieces of AVS (HTG and HToM) they run the high risk of losing US. A delicate balance is necessary.

"The customer is always right" (and AVS members are the customers) may not be completely accurate but should most certainly be adhered to!! If AVS thinks the advertisers are the customers, they are doomed to fail. No AVS members = no Advertisers!!
post #166 of 189 Old 01-05-2019, 04:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioguy View Post
I recently learned that Scott is gone from AVS. He was also behind HToM so that won't be happening any more either.
What does HToM stand for?

post #167 of 189 Old 01-05-2019, 05:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrtickleuk View Post
What does HToM stand for?
"Home Theater Of The Month"
post #168 of 189 Old 01-05-2019, 09:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
"Home Theater Of The Month"
Thanks! Now I understand.

That's bizarre, I would have guessed that would become HTM, or HTOTM. Either you skip all the little words or include them, don't normally mix and match!

post #169 of 189 Old 01-05-2019, 10:34 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 199 Post(s)
Liked: 193
Quote:

This is an "enthusiasts" forum. And while I understand the need to make money running it, to the extent they lose things like good people (Scott) and good pieces of AVS (HTG and HToM) they run the high risk of losing US. A delicate balance is necessary.

"The customer is always right" (and AVS members are the customers) may not be completely accurate but should most certainly be adhered to!! If AVS thinks the advertisers are the customers, they are doomed to fail. No AVS members = no Advertisers!!
This was put up yesterday https://www.avsforum.com/hisense-100...olor-laser-tv/ maybe HE's Back!! stay tuned...
Robert Clark and barfle like this.
post #170 of 189 Old 01-05-2019, 02:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpbpete View Post
This was put up yesterday https://www.avsforum.com/hisense-100...olor-laser-tv/ maybe HE's Back!! stay tuned...
I hope he is back. Good guy and did good things.
barfle likes this.
post #171 of 189 Old 01-13-2019, 09:53 AM

Quote:

HTG was part of Leo Laporte's Twit network. AVS had nothing to do with it.

Hopefully he is back, but I would really like to see a reboot of the podcast.
barfle likes this.

post #172 of 189 Old 01-13-2019, 02:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ericglo View Post
HTG was part of Leo Laporte's Twit network. AVS had nothing to do with it.

Hopefully he is back, but I would really like to see a reboot of the podcast.
I would too but only if there was a firewall between it and Leo Laporte and a guarantee that Leo Laporte has nothing to do with it.
matted likes this.

post #173 of 189 Old 01-13-2019, 05:53 PM

The Leo ship has sailed. Scott would have to go to a new network.

post #174 of 189 Old 01-14-2019, 08:02 PM

Quote:
I would too but only if there was a firewall between it and Leo Laporte and a guarantee that Leo Laporte has nothing to do with it.
I'd support Scott, even if it meant supporting Leo.

I know what I like.
post #175 of 189 Old 01-15-2019, 10:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I'd support Scott, even if it meant supporting Leo.
Even given his disgraceful behaviour? You can if you like, but don't ask me to make that choice! That's like asking me which STD I want.
sdurani likes this.

post #176 of 189 Old 01-15-2019, 01:55 PM

Arrow

Quote:
Even given his disgraceful behaviour? You can if you like, but don't ask me to make that choice! That's like asking me which STD I want.
If it came down to that, it would require Leo to act like an adult. I supported TWiT and HTG podcasts for years, and while I was outraged by the abrupt cancellation (which I made known in the chat once I realized in just how crappy a fashion Scott had been axed), if that turns out to be the venue for HTG or its offspring, I'll watch. I'm not biting off my nose just to spite my face.

I know what I like.
post #177 of 189 Old 01-15-2019, 03:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 588 Post(s)
Liked: 577
Quote:
The Leo ship has sailed. Scott would have to go to a new network.
Seems so though Leo did show an interest in doing something when he found out AVS pulled the plug on Scott - didn't happen.
We haven't heard from Scott either - perhaps he will post and give us an update on podcast plans.
Interesting that no AV manufacturers or AV merchants ever advertised on the show.
barfle likes this.

Last edited by Orbitron; 01-15-2019 at 04:02 PM.
post #178 of 189 Old 01-16-2019, 05:08 AM

A couple of us saw him at Cedia, as he attended the AVS get together at Epson. Humorously he won the raffle (Epson pj).

Scott did say it was interesting that Twit didn't have any A/V manufacturers advertising on the show. My guess is their sales department didn't attempt to get any of those companies and instead went with the ones they already had. In other words, square peg round hole. Example would be the coffee company. While most listeners may have been interested, it probably wasn't the best platform for that advertiser. A company like Control4 would have been a good long term advertiser.

Like I said, I doubt Leo will ever bring back HTG. The best bet is another network. I am not sure who Scott has pitched it to or if he has. I contacted one network, but didn't hear back. John C. Dvorak once told Leo it was the best show on his network. Maybe John could help Scott find a new network.

post #179 of 189 Old 01-23-2019, 10:47 AM

Arrow

Quote:
Scott did say it was interesting that Twit didn't have any A/V manufacturers advertising on the show. My guess is their sales department didn't attempt to get any of those companies and instead went with the ones they already had. In other words, square peg round hole
I remember another web presence that was supposedly advertiser supported (Beethoven.com, basically a classical music radio station with chat room and email - I LOVED it). Their ads were very, very local to Hartford, CT, which certainly meant that I, living in Virginia at the time, didn't have the chance to support. Why they didn't try for national advertisers always surprised me.

FWIW, I did do business with some of Scott's advertisers. I have a Drobo 5N (they are not cheap, even with the $100 discount), and I subscribe to Netflix. No, I've never used Blue Apron or Bouqs.

I know what I like.
post #180 of 189 Old 01-23-2019, 06:00 PM

Quote:
I remember another web presence that was supposedly advertiser supported (Beethoven.com, basically a classical music radio station with chat room and email - I LOVED it). Their ads were very, very local to Hartford, CT, which certainly meant that I, living in Virginia at the time, didn't have the chance to support. Why they didn't try for national advertisers always surprised me.

FWIW, I did do business with some of Scott's advertisers. I have a Drobo 5N (they are not cheap, even with the $100 discount), and I subscribe to Netflix. No, I've never used Blue Apron or Bouqs.
I did buy my brother a subscription one year to the coffee advertiser.

Corning was the one that always stood out to me.
barfle likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply AVS Forum® Podcasts

Tags
Home Theater Geeks

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page