The Official ChromaPure thread - Page 228 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 269Likes

post #6811 of 7446 Old 09-13-2015, 12:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 179 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2921 Post(s)
Liked: 3569
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pres2play View Post
Ted, I'm taking the Pioneer BD player over to a relatives tonight to calibrate a Samsung 4K LCD. I've never calibrated a 4K set before. Are there any special settings, patterns, I should know about?

Treat it like a 1080p display. Nothing to do additionally. Just use the player that later you will use as a content playback device as a pattern source....to have the whole video chain calibrated.
Pres2play likes this.

Ted's LightSpace CMS Calibration Disk Free Version for Free Calibration Software: LightSpace DPS / CalMAN ColorChecker / HCFR
S/W: LightSpace CMS, SpaceMan ICC, SpaceMatch DCM, CalMAN 5, CalMAN RGB, ChromaPure, ControlCAL
V/P: eeColor 3D LUT Box - P/G: DVDO AVLab TPG
Meters: JETI Specbos 1211, Klein K-10A, i1PRO2, i1PRO, SpectraCAL C6, i1D3, C5
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6812 of 7446 Old 09-19-2015, 10:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 993 Post(s)
Liked: 831
Quote:
Originally Posted by owtuv View Post
Tom,
Any plans for an IOS (and/or Android) pattern generator app which can be mirrored on the TV with ChromaPure selecting the correct patterns for the various tests, something similar to the app SpectraCal is providing?
I have looked into this, and I have a question: What is the advantage of this over just directly running an HDMI cable out of the video card? Other than the fact that it is wireless, I don't see what this gives you that you don't already have in a much simpler and cheaper way.

Am I missing something?
Kilgore likes this.

Tom Huffman
ChromaPure Software/AccuPel Video Signal Generators
ISF/THX Calibrations
Springfield, MO

post #6813 of 7446 Old 09-20-2015, 01:40 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomHuffman View Post
I have looked into this, and I have a question: What is the advantage of this over just directly running an HDMI cable out of the video card? Other than the fact that it is wireless, I don't see what this gives you that you don't already have in a much simpler and cheaper way.

Am I missing something?
Tom,

To me the wireless option is a great advantage, no need to run a HDMI cable between the computer and the display. I found MobileForge very handy when I evaluated CalMan. Both options are fine, of course.

Ole
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6814 of 7446 Old 09-21-2015, 10:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
To me the wireless option is a great advantage, no need to run a HDMI cable between the computer and the display. I found MobileForge very handy when I evaluated CalMan. Both options are fine, of course.
BTW, I think you could do the same thing using Miracast and Intel WiDi
http://www.umpcportal.com/2015/05/ca...ctiontec-test/

It has native support in Windows 8.1/10 and you only need a relatively inexpensive Miracast dongle to insert into the TV.
http://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-CG4-...crosoft|Belkin

Tom Huffman
ISF/THX Calibrations
Springfield, MO

post #6815 of 7446 Old 09-21-2015, 10:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Version 3 Update

Well, I have now officially blown through my "end of summer" deadline for the v. 3 release. The good news is that now it is a matter of weeks, not months. We are at the end game of bug fixes, clean-up, and documentation. All of the core components are finished.

Tom Huffman
ISF/THX Calibrations
Springfield, MO

post #6816 of 7446 Old 09-22-2015, 04:51 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Quote:
Well, I have now officially blown through my "end of summer" deadline for the v. 3 release. The good news is that now it is a matter of weeks, not months. We are at the end game of bug fixes, clean-up, and documentation. All of the core components are finished.
Great news Tom - must have been a lot of hard work so am looking forward to see what this version brings.
post #6817 of 7446 Old 09-22-2015, 05:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 121 Post(s)
Quoted: 4486 Post(s)
Liked: 1679
Quote:
It has native support in Windows 8.1/10 and you only need a relatively inexpensive Miracast dongle to insert into the TV.
Many popular media players (Roku 3, Fire TV, WD TV, etc) are also compatible with Miracast, either natively or with an app. If you watch movies using a media player, it's best to include it in the loop when calibrating.
post #6818 of 7446 Old 09-22-2015, 10:22 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Well, I have now officially blown through my "end of summer" deadline for the v. 3 release.
“I love deadlines. I love the whooshing noise they make as they go by.”
Douglas Adams, The Salmon of Doubt
post #6819 of 7446 Old 09-25-2015, 04:27 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked: 66
I'm sorry if this has been asked before, but searching this thread results in showing Ted's signature all the time! (keyword=eecolor)

I just wanted to ask, if Chromapure is possible to support the eecolor LUT box. I've seen a great discount offered in Ted's website via newsletter
http://www.displaycalibrations.com/eecolor_order.html and before biting the bullet and ordering, I want to know if CP 3.0 will ever support it.

Asking when of course, probably will net me an answer with dE of 10.0 and above!
post #6820 of 7446 Old 09-25-2015, 04:27 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked: 66
I'm sorry if this has been asked before, but searching this thread results in showing Ted's signature all the time! (keyword=eecolor)

I just wanted to ask, if Chromapure is possible to support the eecolor LUT box. I've seen a great discount offered in Ted's website via newsletter
http://www.displaycalibrations.com/eecolor_order.html and before biting the bullet and ordering, I want to know if CP 3.0 will ever support it.

Asking "when" will probably net me an answer with dE of 10.0 and above!
post #6821 of 7446 Old 09-25-2015, 04:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 733 Post(s)
Liked: 1061
Any calibration software that exports the correct eeColor LUT format intrinsically supports the eeColor.

You just load the correct LUT format using eeColor's own TrueView software.

See: http://www.lightillusion.com/eecolor_manual.html

While that guide is written for LightSpace CMS the instructions for LUT Upload are valid for any LUT (if of the correct format) generated from any calibration system.

Steve

Steve Shaw
LIGHT ILLUSION

post #6822 of 7446 Old 09-25-2015, 06:48 AM

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Surfdrifter View Post

Asking "when" will probably net me an answer with dE of 10.0 and above!
https://www.avsforum.com/showthread.php?p=37251346

Tom answers this question in the following post.

If the link does not take u to the right post its post number 6805.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk
Surfdrifter likes this.

Last edited by venkatesh_m; 09-25-2015 at 06:50 AM. Reason: Correction and added info
post #6823 of 7446 Old 09-25-2015, 12:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by venkatesh_m View Post
If the link does not take u to the right post its post number 6805.
Hi Vankatesh, I'm quoting Tom's post about when he will add support for eeColor 3D LUT Box to Chromapure 3.x users:

Quote:
Not 3.0, but look for this in 3.x. It is on our list of feature requests.
venkatesh_m and Surfdrifter like this.

Ted's LightSpace CMS Calibration Disk Free Version for Free Calibration Software: LightSpace DPS / CalMAN ColorChecker / HCFR
S/W: LightSpace CMS, SpaceMan ICC, SpaceMatch DCM, CalMAN 5, CalMAN RGB, ChromaPure, ControlCAL
post #6824 of 7446 Old 09-28-2015, 05:18 AM

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 15
eecolor box support

I am adding my request for a support of eecolor box. Now when it costs $300 it would be a great match for any calibration software. I do own Chromapure 2xx and it would be nice to have the process automated. Lumagen unit is a bit too expensive for just having a proper CMS. I have already ordered a eecolor unit. Get it while you can
ConnecTEDDD likes this.
post #6825 of 7446 Old 09-28-2015, 09:32 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Sadly, the eecolor box looks like it only supports HDMI 1.3 and HDCP 1.1, so it will never be able to even pass a UHD (4k) signal. Someone correct me if I'm wrong on this. No future-proofing means a pass from me on this one. Shame as it is a very nice price for cube calibration capability.
post #6826 of 7446 Old 09-28-2015, 09:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Correct - the eeColor is HD only - and there is no way it will ever do anything greater.
There are also no plans for any future development of the hardware.
And they can only pass side-by-side Stereo 3D.

But, for HD they are great.
We have a lot of customers using them.

Steve

Steve Shaw
LIGHT ILLUSION

post #6827 of 7446 Old 09-28-2015, 10:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Influence View Post
Sadly, the eecolor box looks like it only supports HDMI 1.3 and HDCP 1.1, so it will never be able to even pass a UHD (4k) signal. Someone correct me if I'm wrong on this. No future-proofing means a pass from me on this one. Shame as it is a very nice price for cube calibration capability.
Hi, eeColor is the more powerful (65-Point) 3D LUT Box of global market, it's designed for Blu-Ray 1080p 3D LUT correction use.

There million Blu-Ray movies released globally, and many of users have their own blu-ray (or dvd) collection already, not only movies, documentaries, music concepts etc. so eeColor will provide the accurate calibrated results for viewing this content.

UHD will be good and we all are waiting this but how many movies you believe it will be available in this medium? Also to view correctly UHD you have to own a display that will can dispaly correctly/calibrated a very wide DCI/REC2020 gamut. 100% calibrated coverage DCI display is not available in consumer world, REC2020 100% coverage display is not available globally (except prototypes for post-production market).

The DCI % coverage numbers some TV review sites are posting are number for uncalibrated coverage, when you will try to calibrate the calibrated coverage will be lower.

As I have seen the x265 encoding has encoding matrix flag option for REC2020 and not for DCI. UHD will be good when there will be available large collection of movies and large number of displays that anyone can buy, so we are talking for at least the next 3 years. Blu-Ray 1080p movies will continue and the release ratio per week will be more than 1.000:1 vs. UHD releases.

1080p Blu-ray for REC.709 100% coverage, most of the current available TV's of market can display so spending a few money now for eeColor will be for watching perfectly all these movies that will never been released in UHD format.

For users that will want a UHD capable Box, Lumagen will release their PRO models (17-Point Cube) with retail about $7.000-$8.400.

Also to watch a UHD movie, you can't downgrade to 1080p, you need to have a TV that can pass HDCP 2.2, UHD signal, unless you add a device like HDFury where it can hack the HDCP to lower revision.

Last edited by ConnecTEDDD; 09-28-2015 at 01:15 PM.
post #6828 of 7446 Old 09-29-2015, 06:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1668 Post(s)
Liked: 2459
Quote:
Originally Posted by Light Illusion View Post
Correct - the eeColor is HD only - and there is no way it will ever do anything greater.
There are also no plans for any future development of the hardware.
And they can only pass side-by-side Stereo 3D.

But, for HD they are great.
We have a lot of customers using them.

Steve
Top/Bottom is supported as well. Frame packing (Blu-Ray) is the only format not supported that I know of.

Buzz
THX Certified Level II Video Calibrator

post #6829 of 7446 Old 09-29-2015, 07:39 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConnecTEDDD View Post
...so spending a few money now for eeColor will be for watching perfectly all these movies that will never been released in UHD format.

UHD isn't going to stop them from re-releasing movies in higher formats. If movies like The Wizard of Oz (1939), Gone with the Wind (1939) and The General (1926) were released on DVD, and again on Blu-ray, there is no reason why they couldn't re-release thousands of movies from the past in UHD, especially considering the vast majority were shot using the high resolution of 35mm film. Granted, the popularity of the movie, quality of the transfer and even the practical limit on the size of a home display will have a bearing on which movies are re-released, but there will still be many movies to choose from.
post #6830 of 7446 Old 09-29-2015, 07:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65Cobra427SC View Post
UHD isn't going to stop them from re-releasing movies in higher formats. If movies like The Wizard of Oz (1939), Gone with the Wind (1939) and The General (1926) were released on DVD, and again on Blu-ray, there is no reason why they couldn't re-release thousands of movies from the past in UHD, especially considering the vast majority were shot using the high resolution of 35mm film. Granted, the popularity of the movie, quality of the transfer and even the practical limit on the size of a home display will have a bearing on which movies are re-released, but there will still be many movies to choose from.
Yes, they will start to re-releasing scanned negatives using 4K/8K scanners and will be releasing older movies in restoration editions. This is the plan, because rendering CGI/VFX and generally the 4K workflow has 2/3 times higher price, so will require larger budget to be produced than from grading the movies to 2K master. Also it requires less money from the studio to spend for a scanned restoratiom than from shooting/grading a new 4K movie.

If you check IMDB you will see that the most of the new movies that will be release soon in cinemas or blockbusters from 2015; the 95% of them have a 2K master.

It's interesting to read about this (here) from Oblivion movie cinematographer where it explains why they shot the Oblivion @ 4K but did the DI and released it @ 2K.
starbuck69 and BlueChris like this.

Last edited by ConnecTEDDD; 09-29-2015 at 02:53 PM.
post #6831 of 7446 Old 09-30-2015, 12:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65Cobra427SC View Post
especially considering the vast majority were shot using the high resolution of 35mm film
Just for interest, 35mm film actually is not that high resolution.

We have run many film resolution tests, on camera negative film so ignoring the dupe process which drops resolution even further - and all digital transfers are made from dupes - and the actual resolution that is resolved is around 3K.

When you look at the resolution from the dupes (the camera negative is duped twice - first to interpositive, and then to internegative, and it is the internegative that is used for the digital transfer) it drops to around 1.2K, and that is the real resolution that any digital transfer will resolve.

If you google the 'Quantel Digital Intermediate Fact Book' you can actually see a lot of the research we did - and I actually wrote most of that book...

Steve

Steve Shaw
LIGHT ILLUSION

post #6832 of 7446 Old 09-30-2015, 01:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Light Illusion View Post
If you google the 'Quantel Digital Intermediate Fact Book' you can actually see a lot of the research we did - and I actually wrote most of that book...

Steve
Thank for your input Steve.

Here is the book: http://www.pmotions.com/Public/PDFs/..._Edition11.pdf
starbuck69 likes this.

post #6833 of 7446 Old 10-01-2015, 12:57 AM

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 15
When I can choose between eecolor box for $300 and Lumagen pro for $7000 for improving the colour accuracy the choice is obvious. We can start discussion about UHD vs. HD in a few years when there are thousands of movies available. I remember the same talks about DVD vs. Bluray a decade ago. In my opionion UHD is also more important for HT users with big screens when a good resolution is vital. I have a 94" screen, watching distance around 3m and 1080p is superb. I am more worried about projector's lamp dimming. So instead of investing in UHD resolution I would invest in HD LED projector first.
ConnecTEDDD likes this.

Last edited by dziemian; 10-01-2015 at 01:04 AM.
post #6834 of 7446 Old 10-01-2015, 01:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dziemian View Post
When I can choose between eecolor box for $300 and Lumagen pro for $7000 for improving the colour accuracy the choice is obvious. We can start discussion about UHD vs. HD in a few years when there are thousands of movies available. I remember the same talks about DVD vs. Bluray a decade ago. In my opionion UHD is also more important for HT users with big screens when a good resolution is vital. I have a 94" screen, watching distance around 3m and 1080p is superb. I am more worried about projector's lamp dimming. So instead of investing in UHD resolution I would invest in HD LED projector first.
That's a false comparison. The Lumagen Pro is only for those who want 4k in and out. The 2K Lumagen 2020 is less than 1/3 of that cost and discounts to even this are available.

Tom Huffman
ISF/THX Calibrations
Springfield, MO

Last edited by TomHuffman; 10-01-2015 at 03:40 AM.
post #6835 of 7446 Old 10-01-2015, 02:40 AM

MacBook Pro, OS X 10.11 El Capitan
Parallels Desktop 11
Windows 10
ChromaPure 2.5.8.26452

I´m attaching a screen shot of the Post-Calibration Greyscale tab and an jpg image of the corresponding Quick Report. The graphs in the Quick Report are missing. What can be causing this?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Parallels Picture.png
Views:	102
Size:	79.7 KB
ID:	970377   Click image for larger version

Name:	Post-Calibration Greyscale.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	61.8 KB
ID:	970385  
post #6836 of 7446 Old 10-01-2015, 03:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
MacBook Pro, OS X 10.11 El Capitan
Parallels Desktop 11
Windows 10
ChromaPure 2.5.8.26452

I´m attaching a screen shot of the Post-Calibration Greyscale tab and an jpg image of the corresponding Quick Report. The graphs in the Quick Report are missing. What can be causing this?
Hi, try to change your regional settings of Windows to replace "," to ''.''.

If you see the xy cordinates of the 2 pictures you uploaded, from inside ChromaPure they ''.'' for decimals while to the report they have ",".

post #6837 of 7446 Old 10-01-2015, 03:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

If you see the xy cordinates of the 2 pictures you uploaded, from inside ChromaPure they ''.'' for decimals while to the report they have ",".
That's right. Users (mostly European) need to set the PC to use periods for a decimal points and commas for list separators.
In Windows 7 you do this in Control Panel, Region and Language, Additional Settings
Select a period "." for the Decimal Symbol
Select a comma "," for List Separator
In Windows 8 the path is Control Panel, Region, Additional Settings.
In Windows 10 the path is Control Panel, Language, Change Date Time or Number Formats, Additional Settings.
Make the same changes as listed above.
You can always set these back to the regional default when finished with the session.
ConnecTEDDD likes this.

Tom Huffman
ISF/THX Calibrations
Springfield, MO

post #6838 of 7446 Old 10-01-2015, 07:10 AM

Quote:

Hi Ted,

Thanks for your suggestion. I have Windows configured with English (United States) display language and regional settings, hence the decimal point is set to ".", this is needed for CP to work properly.

The report is generated from inside CP, so it is weird that the decimal point shows as ",". Is there any additional setting for the decimal point in Windows that I have to change?

Ole
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Screenshot 2.png
Views:	100
Size:	88.4 KB
ID:	970529  
post #6839 of 7446 Old 10-01-2015, 07:13 AM

Quote:
That's right. Users (mostly European) need to set the PC to use periods for a decimal points and commas for list separators.
In Windows 7 you do this in Control Panel, Region and Language, Additional Settings
Select a period "." for the Decimal Symbol
Select a comma "," for List Separator
In Windows 8 the path is Control Panel, Region, Additional Settings.
In Windows 10 the path is Control Panel, Language, Change Date Time or Number Formats, Additional Settings.
Make the same changes as listed above.
You can always set these back to the regional default when finished with the session.
Hi Tom,

I already had Windows set up with English US regionals settings, see my reply to Ted.

Ole
post #6840 of 7446 Old 10-01-2015, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Hi Tom,

I already had Windows set up with English US regionals settings, see my reply to Ted.

Ole
The strange thing is that the GreyScale and Color Gamut Quick Reports were displayed correctly when I did another calibration a couple of weeks ago. The only thing being different was that my MacBook was running OS X version Yosemite instead of El Capitan. Same versions of Parallels, Windows and ChromaPure.

I exported the GreyScale Quick Report to Excel, just to check how it looked there. Now the number formats seem to be correct, but still not showing the graphs.

Ole
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Screenshot 3.png
Views:	94
Size:	78.6 KB
ID:	970633  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Display Calibration

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page