The Official ChromaPure thread - Page 232 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 275Likes

post #6931 of 7472 Old 11-19-2015, 07:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 133 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5015 Post(s)
Liked: 1930
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArchonX View Post
My calculations are wrong either way, but I know Dominic was thinking the same. Unfortunately, that is not it.
To eliminate any potential user calculation errors, isn't there a mode in ChromaPure that does not involve calculations? I thought in the Color Management Module, once you select the correct colour space (RGB in your case), all you need to do is to adjust the RGB controls on your TV for each colour in turn, until the bars all show 100% (or 0% error).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6932 of 7472 Old 11-19-2015, 10:30 AM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked: 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominic Chan View Post
To eliminate any potential user calculation errors, isn't there a mode in ChromaPure that does not involve calculations? I thought in the Color Management Module, once you select the correct colour space (RGB in your case), all you need to do is to adjust the RGB controls on your TV for each colour in turn, until the bars all show 100% (or 0% error).
The software does the calculations, no user error there! I have made human errors, but have since corrected them through lots of time with Chromapure and lots and lots of reading.

That is how the Color management module behaves Dominic, you described it. But if I get the color errors as low as possible,luminance and the x, y, Y value for colors is still off. This is the issue I am having but I think that "Fixed Target from Gamut" setting is wrong. I am going to try this today with "Calculated Target" and see if this fixes the issue.

I am getting my colors to the exact x, y, Y for each color primary and secondary, so I am golden either way. I just would like the amount of time this takes to be drastically lowered, because it is taking me about 2 1/2 hours just to do color because of how confusing the colors behave. One goes up, one goes down, luminance goes up with one, down with the other. They all interact with each other, and you get close, change something. Suddenly you are badly off again.

Samsung 55" JU7100 calibrated picture settings:
Cal-Day Daylight: **Updated 12/22/2015**

Cal-Night/Dark:
post #6933 of 7472 Old 11-19-2015, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConnecTEDDD View Post
Hi, this 75% REC 709 option, you select it when you will use 75% Saturation Patterns. (or 100% Intensity or 75% Intensity).

The 75% Color Patterns you see at AVSHD disk have 100% Saturation with 75% Intensity.
Hi Ted, I do know how to do this. I use the Chromapure internal pattern generator or your calibration disc. The AVS709 is wrong for Chromapure, as is Digital Video Essentials thanks to round-down values. The internal generator not only works perfectly, it reduces calibration time significantly because it displays the correct pattern you need all the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConnecTEDDD View Post
It will be helpful if you can upload a pre-post calibration PDF report of ChromaPure by taking Grayscale/Saturation/ColorChecker measurements.
I am going to switch that setting and see what I come up with. I will let everyone know. If that does not fix it, I will do this and maybe someone can see something.

Just very odd...

Cal-Night/Dark:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6934 of 7472 Old 11-19-2015, 10:39 AM

I do appreciate all of the help, thank you.

Cal-Night/Dark:
post #6935 of 7472 Old 11-19-2015, 10:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2649 Post(s)
Liked: 2152
What's the latest on version 3? Seems to have gone quiet...Any ETA at all?
Surfdrifter likes this.
post #6936 of 7472 Old 11-20-2015, 08:47 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm have a nightmare getting my DVDO TPG to work with CP. I had it working on my XP laptop but not reliable and has now stopped completely. I can calibrate if I manually select patterns from TPG buttons, but then it stopped completely, so though CP V3 might fix it...

In the meanwhile I've bought a Lenovo win8 laptop, updated the DVDO firmware and drivers from DVDO site, but still no test pattern drop down in toolbar, I've tried port 3 default and moved it to port 5 but still no success , any suggestions much appreciated
post #6937 of 7472 Old 11-20-2015, 08:47 AM

I'm have a nightmare getting my DVDO TPG to work with CP. I had it working on my XP laptop but not reliable and has now stopped completely. I can calibrate if I manually select patterns from TPG buttons, but then it stopped completely, so though CP V3 might fix it...

In the meanwhile I've bought a Lenovo win8 laptop, updated the DVDO firmware and drivers from DVDO site, but still no test pattern drop down in toolbar, I've tried port 3 default and moved it to port 5 but still no success , any suggestions much appreciated
post #6938 of 7472 Old 11-20-2015, 08:52 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 117
Version 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrang View Post
What's the latest on version 3? Seems to have gone quiet...Any ETA at all?
Late Spring...and then "Soon"
Patience Grasshopper.
post #6939 of 7472 Old 11-20-2015, 08:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ursa99 View Post
Late Spring...and then "Soon"
Patience Grasshopper.
Have no idea what your saying...are you joking it was supposed to be this past spring, or its now spring 2016?
post #6940 of 7472 Old 11-20-2015, 08:59 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Have no idea what your saying...are you joking it was supposed to be this past spring, or its now spring 2016?
>it was supposed to be this past spring
Actually yes. If you go back far enough I think you will find it. It then moved to Soon. He said he was done with the coding and was writing the verb-age for it.
It seems that it is a delicate subject because everyone wants it but no one wants to push the author. I think folks want him to get it right and not rush it. Seems reasonable to me...
post #6941 of 7472 Old 11-20-2015, 07:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 1006 Post(s)
Liked: 840
Quote:
Originally Posted by mariomatrix View Post

There's nothing to fix. I have attached the TPG setup guide.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf DVDO TPG setup.pdf (61.4 KB, 24 views)

Tom Huffman
ChromaPure Software/AccuPel Video Signal Generators
ISF/THX Calibrations
Springfield, MO

post #6942 of 7472 Old 11-20-2015, 07:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I am having a weird issue with Chromapure. I have the i1 Display Pro 3 retail, using the internal Chromapure patterns, and I am getting a weird issue.

I have the Samsung 55" JU7100 UHD TV (TS01 panel, Samsung-glossy) and it has a typical Samsung RGB Color space adjustment. You can adjust the R-G-B of each color for the three primaries and secondaries (Yellow, Cyan, Magenta).

My method. I use 75% intensity patterns, set the color management module to use RGB, which is 1/1 with my Samsung.

My issue: Okay, the REC 709 values for the primaries and secondaries. I can shoot for lowest Delta E, get it as low as possible, but the x, y, Y values are wrong for REC 709. If I go for x, y, Y to match REC 709 values for each primary and secondary color, the Delta E is wrong but I can get colors just about perfect. For example, Red, Green, Blue, Yellow, Cyan, and Magenta are exactly set for REC 709 values for luminosity, hue, and saturation (x, y, Y).

I am using CIE94, but have tried the other formulas for Delta E and I still am getting the same issue. I attached screen shots to show two separate calibrations I have done. The first one is an older one, where I used to shoot for low Delta E. I can get all Delta E under 1 and often very low for all, but then they are not at REC 709 and colors look odd on a lot of HD content. I noticed the luminance values are way off if I just go to minimize Delta E.

On my newest calibrations, I can get REC 709 basically perfect, but Chromapure is showing I am way off on Saturation and Delta E is high for some of the colors. Yet, HD content looks right, skin tones look good, color checks come out good, and everything looks really good. The second screen shot is of a more recent calibration. You can see a huge difference in colors and what you cannot see is how much better it looks on all content, whether SD, HD, or 4K. This is an older one where I was not quite at REC 709 but much closer than my "low Delta E" attempt.

Is there something set wrong in the software? I also have HCFR and I do not have the same issue with that software, Delta E is right when I get to REC 709. It is really odd.

Other info: I calibrate using an ASUS laptop, running Chromapure 2.5.8. I set the colorimeter for CRT Mode, 0.8 integration time, 3 number of measures, as recommended by yourself. When I initialize the meter, I pick Standard mode. I use the internal patterns, bypassing my AVR and going straight to the TV HDMI input. The computer is outputting YCbCr. Please let me know if this is correct.

Is the problem the setting in options for Luminance? I use "Fixed Target from Gamut". Should this be set to Calculated Target for my display? This is the only culprit I can think of.
Fixed target from Gamut is correct. I just tested this here and I cannot reproduce the problem.

The only thing I can think of is that you have a bad installation. Follow the procedures on our Support page for a Clean Reinstall.

BTW, you are likely to get quicker answers to questions like this if you contact ChromaPure technical support, rather than posting here. If I get busy, I may miss looking at this thread for a few days.

ArchonX likes this.

Tom Huffman
ISF/THX Calibrations
Springfield, MO

Last edited by TomHuffman; 11-20-2015 at 07:40 PM.
post #6943 of 7472 Old 11-20-2015, 07:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ursa99 View Post
>it was supposed to be this past spring
Actually yes. If you go back far enough I think you will find it. It then moved to Soon. He said he was done with the coding and was writing the verb-age for it.
It seems that it is a delicate subject because everyone wants it but no one wants to push the author. I think folks want him to get it right and not rush it. Seems reasonable to me...
Guys, I have no motive whatever to withhold v. 3 from anyone or mislead anyone about its progress. No one has a bigger motive than me to get it out as soon as possible. I have just learned that predicting the pace of software development is almost impossible. As you get into the details of development, issues arise that you didn't foresee. All I can say with absolute certainty is that looking at what we've done and what's on our list of things yet to do, we are very close.

Elon Musk is one of the smartest people on the planet and he has been consistently wrong--sometimes by a lot--about when new Tesla cars will be ready for sale. This is really, really hard.

I will post here and on our web site as soon as it is ready. My best guess is that it will be out some time in December. However, I have been wrong before and I could very well be wrong again.
chunon likes this.

Tom Huffman
ISF/THX Calibrations
Springfield, MO

Last edited by TomHuffman; 11-20-2015 at 07:43 PM.
post #6944 of 7472 Old 11-20-2015, 07:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomHuffman View Post
Guys, I have no motive whatever to withhold v. 3 from anyone or mislead anyone about its progress. No one has a bigger motive than me to get it out as soon as possible. I have just learned that predicting the pace of software development is almost impossible. As you get into the details of development, issues arise that you didn't foresee. All I can say with absolute certainty is that looking at what we've done and what's on our list of things yet to do, we are very close.

Elon Musk is one of the smartest people on the planet and he has been consistently wrong--sometimes by a lot--about when new Tesla cars will be ready for sale. This is really, really hard.

I will post here and on our web site as soon as it is ready.
Well, very close is good news...thanks
post #6945 of 7472 Old 11-20-2015, 08:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I will post here and on our web site as soon as it is ready. My best guess is that it will be out some time in December. However, I have been wrong before and I could very well be wrong again.
Better to get it right then rush it and do lots of updates to fix it...
We can wait and so can our displays!

Ursa
post #6946 of 7472 Old 11-21-2015, 07:06 AM

Quote:
There's nothing to fix. I have attached the TPG setup guide.
I had already tried a higher port number 8 but had received warning messages so 5 was a cleaner choice. I wondered about the baud rate but too many to try hit and missing. massive thanks tom as this was stopping me isf'ing a projector

The other problem I had was the unsigned AND signed drivers from DVDO site (Win7 only, No Win8 written yet) are not accepted by Win8
The solution for anyone experiencing this issue was found here:

craftedge.com/tutorials/driver_install_windows8/driver_install_win8.html
post #6947 of 7472 Old 11-21-2015, 07:26 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 630 Post(s)
Liked: 418
Hello how do I get full blu-Ray disk and MP4 files for USB, thanks
post #6948 of 7472 Old 11-21-2015, 08:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaMacFunkin View Post
Hello how do I get full blu-Ray disk and MP4 files for USB, thanks
We offer a Blu-ray disc with test patterns in the Products, Accessories section of our web site. We have not created an MP4 version.

Tom Huffman
ISF/THX Calibrations
Springfield, MO

post #6949 of 7472 Old 11-27-2015, 03:39 PM

Okay...now I am having a different Chromapure problem

I am trying to calibrate using Chromapure, my Asus TP500L laptop, and extended display mode for the displays. I am trying to use the internal patterns on the TV while using Chromapure on the laptop display. It works, but...

Now I cannot switch the Color Management module from HSL to RGB. I also cannot use the Contrast module because I cannot switch to Black, White, or Checkerboard. When I try to click to change it, it does nothing. I cannot even manually type "RGB" to get it to switch. This effectively makes everything I am trying to do useless.

If I take off the HDMI to the TV and just use the laptop display only, it works just fine. I have done a complete reinstall (did every step in the instructions), fixed Net framework, and I have very good pc skills. Yet I am trumped, the software displays the same behavior if I use multiple displays on my PC (Core I7 920, GTX 580 video card)

I am finding it extremely difficult to get it working right and I thought a complete reinstall would fix this. The colors are also still off yet work fine in HCFR. I am using Windows 10, could that have something to do with it? Maybe the desktop scaling is screwing it up? I have both displays set to recommended settings.

Cal-Night/Dark:
post #6950 of 7472 Old 11-27-2015, 09:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Okay...now I am having a different Chromapure problem

I am trying to calibrate using Chromapure, my Asus TP500L laptop, and extended display mode for the displays. I am trying to use the internal patterns on the TV while using Chromapure on the laptop display. It works, but...

Now I cannot switch the Color Management module from HSL to RGB. I also cannot use the Contrast module because I cannot switch to Black, White, or Checkerboard. When I try to click to change it, it does nothing. I cannot even manually type "RGB" to get it to switch. This effectively makes everything I am trying to do useless.

If I take off the HDMI to the TV and just use the laptop display only, it works just fine. I have done a complete reinstall (did every step in the instructions), fixed Net framework, and I have very good pc skills. Yet I am trumped, the software displays the same behavior if I use multiple displays on my PC (Core I7 920, GTX 580 video card)

I am finding it extremely difficult to get it working right and I thought a complete reinstall would fix this. The colors are also still off yet work fine in HCFR. I am using Windows 10, could that have something to do with it? Maybe the desktop scaling is screwing it up? I have both displays set to recommended settings.
First, did you resolve the problem of getting incorrect dE values in Color Management?

Unfortunately, I have pretty much the same response to your latest issue. I have tested this and I cannot reproduce it.

http://www.chromapure.com/bugtest/rg.../rgb_test.html

Outputting internal test patterns to a display while using Windows extended desktop, I see no issues. To switch color spaces you have to first Reset all of the data on the screen and start from scratch.

What do you mean that "the colors are still off"?

Tom Huffman
ISF/THX Calibrations
Springfield, MO

post #6951 of 7472 Old 11-27-2015, 09:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Hi tom

I hope you're planning on eliminating use of Flash on your website. It is dead, unsafe software, and anyone on iOS or realistically almost all mobile platforms can't play those files. And many people are uninstalling Flash from desktops as well.
post #6952 of 7472 Old 11-27-2015, 10:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 729 Post(s)
Liked: 440
Quote:
Hi tom

I hope you're planning on eliminating use of Flash on your website. It is dead, unsafe software, and anyone on iOS or realistically almost all mobile platforms can't play those files. And many people are uninstalling Flash from desktops as well.
Apple fanboy claptrap.
post #6953 of 7472 Old 11-28-2015, 05:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilgore View Post
Apple fanboy claptrap.
Yeah...right...

If it is not self evident to you the switch away from Flash use on the Internet:

Please google "adobe flash security" and peruse the articles.

Please google "flash vs html5"

I could care less the choice of individuals desire for platform, but the tech is horribly outdated and is superseded by html5. If you cannot see the impact of mobile devices and how it killed flash, along with Flash's perpetual vulnerabilities, you need to research more.

http://thenextweb.com/dd/2014/04/19/...ideo-web-year/

http://www.theverge.com/2015/1/27/79...-video-default

Pragmatically, there is nothing the use of Flash provides as a benefit to Tom or his customer, many of which use iOS devices. It would behoove him to use a container compatible with all of his customers as we enter 2016.

Last edited by thrang; 11-28-2015 at 05:52 AM.
post #6954 of 7472 Old 11-28-2015, 06:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Flash has been nothing short of a security/vulnerability exploit which is why they release updated versions every week (or so). I'd love to see it die regardless of which platform I'm using.

Geof
post #6955 of 7472 Old 11-28-2015, 10:04 AM

Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
ANNOUNCEMENT: ChromaPure 2.5.5 will be the last 2.x release. ChromaPure 3.0 will be released in the first quarter of 2015. It will provide the most substantial upgrade in ChromaPure's history. Starting today (12-18-2014), anyone who purchases a new ChromaPure license will be entitled to a free upgrade to v. 3.0 upon release. For existing customers, a ChromaPure 3.0 upgrade will be priced at $79.
this
post #6956 of 7472 Old 11-28-2015, 12:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

OK, I replaced the Flash. Everybody happy?
Geof and ArchonX like this.

Tom Huffman
ISF/THX Calibrations
Springfield, MO

post #6957 of 7472 Old 11-28-2015, 12:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 572 Post(s)
Liked: 574
It's pry to late but is there any beta program for 3.0?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
post #6958 of 7472 Old 11-28-2015, 02:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaotikr1 View Post
It's pry to late but is there any beta program for 3.0?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
We are way past that.

Tom Huffman
ISF/THX Calibrations
Springfield, MO

post #6959 of 7472 Old 11-28-2015, 02:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
OK, I replaced the Flash. Everybody happy?
The bugtest link above still throws a Flash error.

Personally, I don't expect anything overnight! It was a suggestion as you have time to update the site and contents, that you jettison Flash...

Thanks
post #6960 of 7472 Old 11-28-2015, 02:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
The bugtest link above still throws a Flash error.

Personally, I don't expect anything overnight! It was a suggestion as you have time to update the site and contents, that you jettison Flash...
The ChromaPure home page now uses javascript and css, but no Flash. Refresh the page.

Tom Huffman
ISF/THX Calibrations
Springfield, MO

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Display Calibration

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page