The Official ChromaPure thread - Page 248 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 269Likes

post #7411 of 7446 Old 11-17-2018, 10:15 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomHuffman View Post
LCD Generic is your best bet.
Thanks.

-Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7412 of 7446 Old 11-28-2018, 09:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2919 Post(s)
Liked: 3552
Quote:
Originally Posted by bxpressiv View Post
Not the Z9D, and I'm unsure about the Z9F or A1 OLEDs.

I did try the 10pt adjustment on 1 thinking it related to 10% but maybe it's the other way round and I need to do the 10. Going home soon so I'll be able to test it out.
Hi,

Z9D/A1/AF8, all these TV's have 10-Point RGB Balance controls.

Z9F/AF, these two TVs are coming with 10-Point RGB balance controls (and full CMS), but you can unlock two additional picture modes; Custom Pro 1/2; and 20-Point RGB balance controls when you will just install the CalMAN Bravia App. (It will not require to own CalMAN license for that)

After the installation of CalMAN Bravia App, these additional calibration options will be available to normal OSD menu for all users.

Then, you can use ChromaPure or any other calibration software you like to perform manual-cal using normal OSD menu 20-Point RGB balance controls.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bxpressiv View Post
I'm just reading about 10pt adjustments, so I probably did this wrong too. So after I calibrated the grayscale at 20/80 I think took all the measurements. And then for example the 80% needed a tweak so I went to 8 on the 10pt made adjustments and got it balanced. It didn't seem to do anything on the 1pt adjustment. I'm almost positive my understanding is flawed.
When you have available both 2-Point and 10/20-Point RGB Balance controls, its better to start the 2-Point RGB balance calibration first, using 100% White and 30% (or 20%...need some testing to see which one will handle better the whole grayscale), after a lot of back/forth, when the measurements will be stable (because when you adjust 1-point, it will required re-adjustment the other point also)...then you will move to 10/20-Point RGB balance.

When you perform 100% White calibration, use the RGB gains controls only to fix RGB balance errors (not use them to handle peak output), keep one color channel at zero (or untouched position....the one channel you will found that has less luminance compared the other 2 color channels...so reduce values from the other 2 color channels to calibrate the RGB balance); while using Brightness (which working as back-light settings to Sony's) you can handle your peak output.

There display which are suffering with some issues related with a un-align of available calibration controls (10-Point RGB Balance) to the working effecting range of the signal, for example when you display a 50% Gray patch and you dial 50% Gray RGB balance, internally to the display its not changing the 50% of Gray but another level...for example 42% or 56% etc...just for example.)

This makes the calibration more difficult and you will always introduce anomalies when you will finish a 10-Point RGB balance and you display a Grayscale Ramp, there will be visible issues there with strange color-shades.

There specific values (to each display) of contrast/black level controls which are align better the calibration controls and it will be helpful to measure with 21-Point Grayscale patterns when you calibrate using the available 10-Point controls you have. Doing this will be able to spot better any anomaly and prevent issues.

Its also a better idea to take full grayscale sweep and not do real-time adjustments, to be able to spot easier your adjustments how they affect the grayscale performance....so measure fully grayscale (with menu OSD off)....then look your RGB Balance / Gamma charts....open OSD...apply the adjustments you believe they will help...then close OSD and remeasure grayscale again.

To some displays, the RGB balance controls design in such way where they will align better to exact 10-p luminance levels when you will have contrast/brightness to default positions, to other models it will align better when you will have contrast at max position, this is something you need to test. That un-alignment can interact and shift each RGB balance controls to higher or lower affecting luminance range.

Ted's LightSpace CMS Calibration Disk Free Version for Free Calibration Software: LightSpace DPS / CalMAN ColorChecker / HCFR
S/W: LightSpace CMS, SpaceMan ICC, SpaceMatch DCM, CalMAN 5, CalMAN RGB, ChromaPure, ControlCAL
V/P: eeColor 3D LUT Box - P/G: DVDO AVLab TPG
Meters: JETI Specbos 1211, Klein K-10A, i1PRO2, i1PRO, SpectraCAL C6, i1D3, C5
post #7413 of 7446 Old 12-06-2018, 11:30 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Hey Guys I'm a novice to calibration and have a copy of Chromapure 3 and have used an older spyder 5 meter to calibrate a cheap tv and an older 720p projector grayscale and gamma for SDR to some success. I have just purchased a new Vizio PQ65 and new i1 display pro and had a few questions before I dive into attempting to calibrate it. The proper steps if I'm correct would be to properly set brightness and contrast, move on to 11 point grayscale, gamma then finally color management? I think I have a pretty good understanding of the needed work flow for SDR (will tackle HDR after picking up some patterns and reading more). My only real pressing question is for a new quantum dot FALD set I'm not sure what the proper pattern size is appropriate whether it being standard windows, APL windows or small windows and at what color intensity? Should I be using standard windows with the default 75% color intensity? Thanks all
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7414 of 7446 Old 12-07-2018, 01:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 971 Post(s)
Liked: 819
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtohtguy View Post
The proper steps if I'm correct would be to properly set brightness and contrast, move on to 11 point grayscale, gamma then finally color management? I think I have a pretty good understanding of the needed work flow for SDR (will tackle HDR after picking up some patterns and reading more).
This is correct, except you'll probably have to go back-and-forth at least one round with grayscale and gamma. When you change the gamma that usually throws the grayscale off some, so will have to readjust that. The calibration steps for HDR are essentially the same, except you need to use 50% Color Intensity and 50% saturation test patterns in Color Management. Be aware that you will be able to calibrate grayscale to follow the PQ curve up to 60-70%, depending on the display's light output. Beyond that, allow the display to tone map.

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtohtguy View Post
My only real pressing question is for a new quantum dot FALD set I'm not sure what the proper pattern size is appropriate whether it being standard windows, APL windows or small windows and at what color intensity? Should I be using standard windows with the default 75% color intensity? Thanks all
When calibrating an LCD/LED for HDR you must use windows. I'd just use standard 10% windows. For SDR calibration on this type of display test pattern size is not really critical, but staying with 10% windows would be the simplest. BTW, I wouldn't try to measure black level on a FALD set unless you first turn FALD off. Otherwise, you are likely to measure zero for black.

Tom Huffman
ChromaPure Software/AccuPel Video Signal Generators
ISF/THX Calibrations
Springfield, MO

post #7415 of 7446 Old 03-30-2019, 06:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Hi guys. I have an old license only for CP version 2.5.5. Does someone maybe have a download link? I emailed CP but I need to calibrate today.
post #7416 of 7446 Old 03-30-2019, 04:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanderdvd View Post
Hi guys. I have an old license only for CP version 2.5.5. Does someone maybe have a download link? I emailed CP but I need to calibrate today.
https://we.tl/t-BTI1GnPTVL

I have upload this zip for you. It has inside 2 versions:

ChromaPure 2.5.8.24553
ChromaPure 2.5.5.28063

Ted's LightSpace CMS Calibration Disk Free Version for Free Calibration Software: LightSpace DPS / CalMAN ColorChecker / HCFR
S/W: LightSpace CMS, SpaceMan ICC, SpaceMatch DCM, CalMAN 5, CalMAN RGB, ChromaPure, ControlCAL
post #7417 of 7446 Old 03-30-2019, 04:50 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Might be too late but you can try this link.

http://www.chromapure.com/distribute...chromapure.zip

It points to a version from 2015 so I think it is 2.5.

Edited to add Oh well, someone beat me to it.
post #7418 of 7446 Old 03-30-2019, 05:50 PM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 78
just ran through my first calibration as a learning run. i finally got the disc to work in my Panasonic ub900. i had to burn the iso to an actual BD-R disc before it would work. DVD-+R and RW's didn't run. Anyways, I must not be doing something right because my Gamma flatlines at 0 and no matter what i do i can't get it to register. I ran through the entire calibration and it seems everything worked except the Gamma. So i don't know if the calibration even is correct. in the color gamut, with the exception of green and magenta, all colors are below 1.5 delta. green is ~1/9 and the magenta is ~2.0. i'm going to give it another try tomorrow but i need to know if there's a setting I'm not adjusting correctly for the Gamma to register. I have the Epson 5040, Pan UB900 and i1Display Pro.

Before you ask...i don't have any pics and didn't save anything. I will tomorrow and will post them. newbie mistake, sorry.

Denon X4400H / Emotiva Audio BasX A-500 / Panasonic UB900 4K Player
Silver Ticket STR-235125 2:35 125" screen / Epson 5040UB
(2)Paradigm Monitor 9 v6 / (2)Paradigm CC 390 / (4)Paradigm Mini Monitor 7
(2)HSU VTF-15H / (1)HSU VTF3-MK3 / (4)Polk Audio V60 Atmos Speakers

Last edited by Ken Stanger; 03-30-2019 at 05:57 PM.
post #7419 of 7446 Old 03-31-2019, 08:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfb88 View Post
Edited to add Oh well, someone beat me to it.
I have 79x ChromaPure 2.x / 79x of ChromaPure 3.x releases to my HDD, so anyone who need a specific version, its easy for me to upload.

post #7420 of 7446 Old 03-31-2019, 08:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Stanger View Post
I will tomorrow and will post them. newbie mistake, sorry.
Post a pre-calibration and a post-calibration report, to have better idea of your calibration.

post #7421 of 7446 Old 03-31-2019, 08:50 PM

Calibration Report

I attached the pre/post report. I think I newbied my way through it but let me know if you see something really wrong. There were some issues with trying to get red and magenta close to 0 but I did my best. This was measured off the screen and next weekend I'm going to try off the lens to see if the results are better. I'm using the 5040ub shooting on a silver ticket with 1.1 gain in a totally dark room. Thanks for any suggestions or advise.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Post SDR-Natural Calibration Report 3-31-19.pdf (603.9 KB, 43 views)

Last edited by Ken Stanger; 04-01-2019 at 01:16 PM.
post #7422 of 7446 Old 04-04-2019, 03:42 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
The only issue I see is very high dE in the 5%-10% grayscale region.
Yes, i see the same too for my LG OLED C7.

High dE in 5IRE and 10IRE. And the gamma / RGB is very unstable at 5IRE and 10IRE no matter what i try.

Should i just leave the 5IRE and 10IRE RGB levels at its defaults and just tune the GAMMA to 100%?
post #7423 of 7446 Old 04-04-2019, 03:48 AM

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
For the 2016 and 2017 LG OLEDs LG published a document that mapped the user adjustments to the actual points that were adjusted. They weren't the same, which is why you needed that document. I have attached the 2017 document here. I don't know if there is a new 2018 document that is different. You might want to post in the LG calibration thread and ask.

Once you have these points, if you go to our support page you can download a file that you subsequently import into Raw Data to create a custom grayscale list. Use this to perform the grayscale calibration.

which part of the HDR workflow should this be done? because there is precalibration and post calibration greyscale measurements, and will they need the "new values" from LG.

Last edited by sevenz; 04-04-2019 at 03:51 AM.
post #7424 of 7446 Old 04-04-2019, 05:18 AM

Quote:
I attached the pre/post report. I think I newbied my way through it but let me know if you see something really wrong. There were some issues with trying to get red and magenta close to 0 but I did my best. This was measured off the screen and next weekend I'm going to try off the lens to see if the results are better. I'm using the 5040ub shooting on a silver ticket with 1.1 gain in a totally dark room. Thanks for any suggestions or advise.
So, to elaborate on the earlier post as it was late at night and I just really wanted to get the file uploaded. I was having an issue with the Gamma not registering off 0 not matter what changes I made. I ended up uninstalling the software and reinstalling and it started working correctly. Not sure if there’s a glitch or not but either way I was able to get readings.

So, my base measurement was in Natural Mode default settings as this was the closest to hitting all the targets for where I should be. Thought was, that I would have to make less adjustments to get it as close to where it should be.

I own the 5040UB and some of the issues I find with the calibration for Rec. 709 Gamut SDR settings is that on my projector it is very difficult to get red, yellow and magenta to cooperate when adjusting the Hue, Saturation and Brightness settings. Must have spent 30 minutes or more on Red alone trying to get it close to reference but was unsuccessful. The same with yellow and magenta. My gamma control settings on my projector are, IMO, odd to get gamma to be spot on, or really close to being spot on. I might be overthinking the gamma, if I’m getting the readings I’m getting, I should be happy. All my settings are below.

Projector: Epson 5040ub
Firmware: 810076648WWV112 (Main)
7YL28RMV111 (Video2)

Projector Info:
Lamp Hours: 277
Source: HDMI
Input Signal: RGB-Video
Resolution: 1920x1080
Refresh Rate: 59.94Hz
Sync Info: SSNN 06743
Color Depth: 8 bit
Color Format: BT.709 SDR

Color Mode: Natural
Brightness: 49
Contrast: 48
Color Saturation: 50
Tint: 50
Sharpness: 5 / 5 / 5
Color Temp: 6500K
Skin Tone: 4

Customized:
Offset R 50
Offset G 52
Offset B 53
Gain R 68
Gain G 51
Gain B 50

Image Enhancement:
4K Enhancement: On
Image Preset Mode: Off
Noise Reduction: 0
MPEG Noise Reduction: 0
Super-Resolution:
Fine Line: 0
Soft Focus: 0
Detail Enhancement:
Strength: 0
Range: 0

Advanced:
Gamma: -1, -4, -9, -11, -11, -13, -14, -32, -32
RGBCMY:
R: 35 44 48
G: 50 50 50
B: 69 30 55
C: 44 50 51
M: 50 53 36
Y: 35 68 50
Super white: Off
Lens iris: 0

Signal-Advanced:
HDMI Video Range: Auto
Color Space: Auto
Dynamic Range: Auto
Image Processing: Fine

Room settings are completely dark. I have controlled lighting with 6 sconces that are dimmable. This is a dedicated room with no windows.

After reviewing the report and looking over my settings, if you have any suggestions on what I can do better to achieve better Red, Magenta and yellow readings to get even closer to the 6500K, let me know.

Thanks for any advice.

Last edited by Ken Stanger; 04-04-2019 at 05:22 AM.
post #7425 of 7446 Old 05-11-2019, 03:10 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm calibrating the Epson 5050ub and got to all the steps. Grayscale and gamma all perfect. When I test gamut, all colors are good and near their points but saturation on red and blue are down to about -12% .
When I go in gamut to adjust Sat/hue/brightness only the brightnessakes a difference when I move the. Saturation slider have no effect what so ever! Hue also!

Any suggestion? In the hsl color space.
post #7426 of 7446 Old 05-11-2019, 09:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sianofabio View Post
I'm calibrating the Epson 5050ub and got to all the steps. Grayscale and gamma all perfect. When I test gamut, all colors are good and near their points but saturation on red and blue are down to about -12% .
When I go in gamut to adjust Sat/hue/brightness only the brightnessakes a difference when I move the. Saturation slider have no effect what so ever! Hue also!

Any suggestion? In the hsl color space.
On most color management systems you can only decrease saturation, not increase. You need to start with a Picture preset that offers more saturated colors, if one is available. Try Cinema or Digital Cinema.

Tom Huffman
ISF/THX Calibrations
Springfield, MO

post #7427 of 7446 Old 05-11-2019, 09:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

You never describe exactly what problem you are having. It may be like the issue below. If the colors are undersaturated, they cannot be fixed. Pick a Picture preset that has oversaturated colors, then they will be easier to adjust.

Quote:
So, to elaborate on the earlier post as it was late at night and I just really wanted to get the file uploaded. I was having an issue with the Gamma not registering off 0 not matter what changes I made. I ended up uninstalling the software and reinstalling and it started working correctly. Not sure if there’s a glitch or not but either way I was able to get readings.

So, my base measurement was in Natural Mode default settings as this was the closest to hitting all the targets for where I should be. Thought was, that I would have to make less adjustments to get it as close to where it should be.

I own the 5040UB and some of the issues I find with the calibration for Rec. 709 Gamut SDR settings is that on my projector it is very difficult to get red, yellow and magenta to cooperate when adjusting the Hue, Saturation and Brightness settings. Must have spent 30 minutes or more on Red alone trying to get it close to reference but was unsuccessful. The same with yellow and magenta. My gamma control settings on my projector are, IMO, odd to get gamma to be spot on, or really close to being spot on. I might be overthinking the gamma, if I’m getting the readings I’m getting, I should be happy. All my settings are below.

Projector: Epson 5040ub
Firmware: 810076648WWV112 (Main)
7YL28RMV111 (Video2)

Projector Info:
Lamp Hours: 277
Source: HDMI
Input Signal: RGB-Video
Resolution: 1920x1080
Refresh Rate: 59.94Hz
Sync Info: SSNN 06743
Color Depth: 8 bit
Color Format: BT.709 SDR

Color Mode: Natural
Brightness: 49
Contrast: 48
Color Saturation: 50
Tint: 50
Sharpness: 5 / 5 / 5
Color Temp: 6500K
Skin Tone: 4

Customized:
Offset R 50
Offset G 52
Offset B 53
Gain R 68
Gain G 51
Gain B 50

Image Enhancement:
4K Enhancement: On
Image Preset Mode: Off
Noise Reduction: 0
MPEG Noise Reduction: 0
Super-Resolution:
Fine Line: 0
Soft Focus: 0
Detail Enhancement:
Strength: 0
Range: 0

Advanced:
Gamma: -1, -4, -9, -11, -11, -13, -14, -32, -32
RGBCMY:
R: 35 44 48
G: 50 50 50
B: 69 30 55
C: 44 50 51
M: 50 53 36
Y: 35 68 50
Super white: Off
Lens iris: 0

Signal-Advanced:
HDMI Video Range: Auto
Color Space: Auto
Dynamic Range: Auto
Image Processing: Fine

Room settings are completely dark. I have controlled lighting with 6 sconces that are dimmable. This is a dedicated room with no windows.

After reviewing the report and looking over my settings, if you have any suggestions on what I can do better to achieve better Red, Magenta and yellow readings to get even closer to the 6500K, let me know.

Thanks for any advice.

Tom Huffman
ISF/THX Calibrations
Springfield, MO

post #7428 of 7446 Old 05-11-2019, 10:21 AM

Quote:
You never describe exactly what problem you are having. It may be like the issue below. If the colors are undersaturated, they cannot be fixed. Pick a Picture preset that has oversaturated colors, then they will be easier to adjust.
The issue I was having was I couldn't get Red, Yellow and Magenta on target or even close. All the other colors seemed to work well with a delta of 2 or less. I will keep working with it and try your suggestion and see what i can do.

post #7429 of 7446 Old 05-12-2019, 03:05 PM

Thanks for the info. Really appreciate it. Cinema did work for me for SDR. Now I’m having issues with luminance when doing HDR10 calibration.
On your video you adjusted it using another software that has a luminance adjuster. So in white balance you reduced it but I’m missing that on the epson.
Any tricks on lowering that “r” on the epson? Lamp choice and brightness don't help. I did set hdr10 and 2020 on the setting. But did not see hdr10 on the pull down menu on the top right like in your video.
post #7430 of 7446 Old 05-13-2019, 11:41 AM

Quote:
On most color management systems you can only decrease saturation, not increase. You need to start with a Picture preset that offers more saturated colors, if one is available. Try Cinema or Digital Cinema.
Thanks for Info, much appreciated!
Im having trouble with the HDR10 calibration now. I watch you video and did everything in the setting for HDR10 and 2020 color. but could not be sure how to generate the HRD patterns from chromapure. Is it the same patterns? does it know what patterns to show?

also, you use to top scroll down to choose hdr10 from an extra software, so what do I choose from chromapure?

you also adjusted the "r" from color balance with the luminance of that same software to bring it down . is there such adjustment on the Epson 50505? mine is at 189% and cant get it down in color balance. if I cant find a way to bring it down to the same level as the colors, I'm stock!

or should I go DCI-P3 that's in between 2020 and 709
post #7431 of 7446 Old 05-13-2019, 01:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Im having trouble with the HDR10 calibration now. I watch you video and did everything in the setting for HDR10 and 2020 color. but could not be sure how to generate the HRD patterns from chromapure. Is it the same patterns? does it know what patterns to show?
No, you have to use specialized HDR test patterns. The MadVR test pattern generator in CP offers this option, but your video card has to support it. Otherwise I recommend the HDR disc test patterns that Ryan Masciola sells.

For HDR, you should calibrate at 50% saturation and 50% color intensity. You can select both in ChromaPure.

You have to use the Color Management section of the Epson. It sounds like you are using the White Balance controls, which are for grayscale only.

Tom Huffman
ISF/THX Calibrations
Springfield, MO

post #7432 of 7446 Old 05-14-2019, 06:24 AM

Quote:
No, you have to use specialized HDR test patterns. The MadVR test pattern generator in CP offers this option, but your video card has to support it. Otherwise I recommend the HDR disc test patterns that Ryan Masciola sells.

For HDR, you should calibrate at 50% saturation and 50% color intensity. You can select both in ChromaPure.

You have to use the Color Management section of the Epson. It sounds like you are using the White Balance controls, which are for grayscale only.
Tom, thanks for your patience with all of us new users!
If I understand correctly, getting that "r" value down for gamma purposes to reach the correct gamma at 70% has to be done in the RGBCYM of the Epson?. In your color management I have to do a gamut run and lower the brightness slider for the colors that are high in luminance on the epson? also the color patterns have to be the 50% intensity and saturation from the HDR10 disc .
Before that, I do a white balance while ignoring the fourth white bar(r) on the graph?
Its a different procedure than SDR where I would play with green to adjust the correct (r).

just for the forum : if we already have "Cinema" calibrated for SDR and it has a color filter specially for HDR. when you feed it an HDR source, it should be acceptable since grayscale was already balanced? or will there be a noticeable difference when you do the HDR calibration in Cinema ? specially when the Epson has an enhancement slider to make the image brighter in HDR.
post #7433 of 7446 Old 05-14-2019, 12:38 PM

Gamma BT1886 or 2.22 for projector in dark room

For SDR calibration in a dark room, will it be better to use BT.1886 instead of 2.22 for gamma ? also, will it be better to use custom gamma or gamma adjustment to match that curve OR use the Green in RGB balance to adjust? what would be the best method before going into 10 point grayscale?
post #7434 of 7446 Old 05-14-2019, 03:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked: 116
Quote:
Tom, thanks for your patience with all of us new users!
If I understand correctly, getting that "r" value down for on purpose to reach the correct gamma at 70% has to be done in the RGBCYM of the Epson?.

Use your gamma presets and select and measure which gamma is closest to the target that you have set ex:2.22. If you have individual gamma controls then use those controls as well to adjust each gamma point 10%-90% then lower or raise the control to increase gamma or lower gamma at each level of stimulus as close to the target value as possible.

RGBCYM is your colour management system. This calibrates your colours and it's specific components HUE ,SATURATION and LUMINANCE. Do not use these controls to adjust Gamma.

Last edited by hungro; 05-14-2019 at 03:17 PM.
post #7435 of 7446 Old 05-19-2019, 07:27 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 47
I have a question. I am an owner of Eye One D3 Pro from 2013 or so. I have Samsung Qled TV (JS9500) and have been using Samsung LED profile though it never worked well for color calibration. Yesterday I performed FW update on my TV 1540.3 and the TV settings changed majorly. I was procrastinating with FW update (it came out in August of last year) but decided to bite the bullet and recalibrate (read on this forum that calibrated will go out of whack). As expected previous calibration was way way off (too much red and not enough blue in Warm 2 mode). So I spent a day calibrating the greyscale using ChromaPure (2.xxx) and then HCFR to perform greyscale for HDR mode. I need to find out what profile I should use for my QLED TV. Perhaps I can improve color measurement accuracy by switching to another profile from Samsung LED. Please advice.

Also I have a few other questions. There is "measurement mode" drop down box under options ->meters -> Display3
I have changed it to CRT and set "integration time" to 1s while keeping the other settings at their default values:
Low light threshold: 1 cd/m2
Number of measurements: 6
Changing integration time to 1s lowered the readings to 0.002 ftl, with default setting of 0.5s it was reporting 0.004ftl. Also switching mode to measurement mode to LCD raises the black level readings to 0.004ftl even with integration time set to 1s. I believe I reported this previously when I was calibrating panasonic plasma at my mom place in 2015 or 2016 in this thread. Back then I upgraded the chroma pure version and black level readings were higher than expected.

Also is it possible to utilize calibration profile of my D3 PRO with HCFR?
post #7436 of 7446 Old 05-20-2019, 03:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

We now include a Quantum Dot calibration, which was not available in 2013. You can get this if you send your meter in for recalibration. However, this is available for v3 of ChromaPure only.

You would expect slightly different results with different measurement modes, and the difference between 0.002 and 0.004 is very small.

Use the data in the calibration report you were sent and consult the HCFR folks about this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpaxadpom View Post
I have a question. I am an owner of Eye One D3 Pro from 2013 or so. I have Samsung Qled TV (JS9500) and have been using Samsung LED profile though it never worked well for color calibration. Yesterday I performed FW update on my TV 1540.3 and the TV settings changed majorly. I was procrastinating with FW update (it came out in August of last year) but decided to bite the bullet and recalibrate (read on this forum that calibrated will go out of whack). As expected previous calibration was way way off (too much red and not enough blue in Warm 2 mode). So I spent a day calibrating the greyscale using ChromaPure (2.xxx) and then HCFR to perform greyscale for HDR mode. I need to find out what profile I should use for my QLED TV. Perhaps I can improve color measurement accuracy by switching to another profile from Samsung LED. Please advice.

Also I have a few other questions. There is "measurement mode" drop down box under options ->meters -> Display3
I have changed it to CRT and set "integration time" to 1s while keeping the other settings at their default values:
Low light threshold: 1 cd/m2
Number of measurements: 6
Changing integration time to 1s lowered the readings to 0.002 ftl, with default setting of 0.5s it was reporting 0.004ftl. Also switching mode to measurement mode to LCD raises the black level readings to 0.004ftl even with integration time set to 1s. I believe I reported this previously when I was calibrating panasonic plasma at my mom place in 2015 or 2016 in this thread. Back then I upgraded the chroma pure version and black level readings were higher than expected.

Also is it possible to utilize calibration profile of my D3 PRO with HCFR?

Tom Huffman
ISF/THX Calibrations
Springfield, MO

post #7437 of 7446 Old 05-20-2019, 02:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
We now include a Quantum Dot calibration, which was not available in 2013. You can get this if you send your meter in for recalibration. However, this is available for v3 of ChromaPure only.

You would expect slightly different results with different measurement modes, and the difference between 0.002 and 0.004 is very small.

Use the data in the calibration report you were sent and consult the HCFR folks about this.
Thank you Tom. Do you have profile for JS9500 or did you use another model of QLED?
Also without this calibration what mode would you use otherwise (i.e. Samsung LED)?
post #7438 of 7446 Old 05-20-2019, 03:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thank you Tom. Do you have profile for JS9500 or did you use another model of QLED?
Also without this calibration what mode would you use otherwise (i.e. Samsung LED)?
We use a Samsung QLED. I don't recall the exact model, but it shouldn't make a difference.
LCD Generic.

BTW, you may have another problem, metemeric failure. Read this article on our web site, especially the 03/25/2018 update
http://www.chromapure.com/newgear-MetamericFailure.asp

Tom Huffman
ISF/THX Calibrations
Springfield, MO

post #7439 of 7446 Old 05-20-2019, 07:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
We use a Samsung QLED. I don't recall the exact model, but it shouldn't make a difference.
LCD Generic.

BTW, you may have another problem, metemeric failure. Read this article on our web site, especially the 03/25/2018 update
http://www.chromapure.com/newgear-MetamericFailure.asp
Thank you Tom. Very interesting post.
For ChromaPure settings should I keep the "Measurement Mode" set to "CRT"?
post #7440 of 7446 Old 05-20-2019, 08:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thank you Tom. Very interesting post.
For ChromaPure settings should I keep the "Measurement Mode" set to "CRT"?
The measurement mode is not critical.

Tom Huffman
ISF/THX Calibrations
Springfield, MO

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Display Calibration

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page