HCFR - Open source projector and display calibration software - Page 156 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1414Likes

post #4651 of 11947 Old 10-15-2014, 01:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2481 Post(s)
Liked: 2110
Oddly enough, it shows up as a dash (or equal sign, I don't remember offhand), not as 0%.
But, yes.

Did you really need to quote that entire post in your reply?
Welcome to AVS - Get out while you still can!
Don't guess, measure: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/91-au...l#post22789786
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4652 of 11947 Old 10-15-2014, 03:05 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Color Checker

Color Checker Patterns

Guys, where can I find color checker patterns for Blu-Ray Disc.
I am using the AVSHD 709 disc for my current calibration efforts, and I don't see it on the disc.

Thank in advance.

PS, I'm Really enjoying HCFR. Many thanks to those who put it together.

Devo
post #4653 of 11947 Old 10-15-2014, 05:57 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Liked: 33
I still do not see the luminance bar when I do saturation sweeps.

I'm also confused on the % at the bottom. I assume I want it to approach 0%?

Also, can someone tell me why I am using the AVS709 Saturation colors for measuring Primary and Secondaries instead of the 75% Color patterns.

I would have guessed that the 75% Color patterns are good for doing a primary and secondary sweep. While the Saturation 75% images are good for the Saturation sweeps. But I'm told to use the 75% Saturation patterns on AVS709 for both (so what are the 75% color patterns for?)

Last edited by pisymbol; 10-15-2014 at 06:37 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4654 of 11947 Old 10-15-2014, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pisymbol View Post
As usual, thank you!

So delta luminance should approach 0% correct for all my saturation sweeps?

EDIT: Oh, I didn't even notice the Luminance bar. Ok, I think I know what to do. Hopefully I can come to you O with a much better grasp of color calibration.
Alright, I got the luminance targets inline using the delta luminance percentages for 75%.

But I still don't understand why I had to raise Cyan's Saturation to its max to achieve just a 1.5 dE at a luminance of delta luminance of -0.9%.

I'd like to be able to hone in on my saturation percentage point (like 50% and adjust, but just don't see how to do that in real time using HCFR)

Last edited by pisymbol; 10-15-2014 at 07:18 PM.
post #4655 of 11947 Old 10-15-2014, 08:17 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 308 Post(s)
Liked: 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumble Devo View Post
Color Checker Patterns

Guys, where can I find color checker patterns for Blu-Ray Disc.
I am using the AVSHD 709 disc for my current calibration efforts, and I don't see it on the disc.
Use the GCD Discs Patterns. Linked in here:
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/139-di...e-your-tv.html Or google GCD avs

Also, over the long time it is more convenient to check your PCs output (HCFR pattern generator) against a trusted source (with AVS HD and GCD patterns) to hopefully confirm that you can use HCFRs integrated pattern generater - because especially with color checker patterns, it is MUCH faster to run them automated. Also GCD afair only includes the standard color checker patterns and not the more comprehensive CCSG pattern set. Alao HCFR now has an option to run a customized color set (random or "targeted") with 500 or more (or less.. ) color points, using a .csv file.
Rumble Devo likes this.

Last edited by harlekin; 10-15-2014 at 08:23 PM.
post #4656 of 11947 Old 10-15-2014, 08:55 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 462 Post(s)
Liked: 313
Quote:
Alright, I got the luminance targets inline using the delta luminance percentages for 75%.

But I still don't understand why I had to raise Cyan's Saturation to its max to achieve just a 1.5 dE at a luminance of delta luminance of -0.9%.
It could just be a limitation in what the set can achieve. A lot of panels are incapable of covering the entire Rec709 colorspace and as a result can end up with undersaturated colors for certain primaries/secondaries.

Quote:
I'd like to be able to hone in on my saturation percentage point (like 50% and adjust, but just don't see how to do that in real time using HCFR)
I don't believe this can be done in real time, but now that you are relatively close, it isn't too hard to make minor tweaks to a color and redo a saturation sweep of that color. Granted, it is a bit tedious, but you shouldn't need more than a few iterations per color to find a good balance across the 25-75% saturation targets for each color.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Recommended calibration settings for Samsung PN60F5300B
post #4657 of 11947 Old 10-15-2014, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by orion2001 View Post
It could just be a limitation in what the set can achieve. A lot of panels are incapable of covering the entire Rec709 colorspace and as a result can end up with undersaturated colors for certain primaries/secondaries.

I don't believe this can be done in real time, but now that you are relatively close, it isn't too hard to make minor tweaks to a color and redo a saturation sweep of that color. Granted, it is a bit tedious, but you shouldn't need more than a few iterations per color to find a good balance across the 25-75% saturation targets for each color.
orion I redid everything using zoyd's GCD. Much easier workflow when you use that disc!

I was able to solve my Cyan problem, but I can't seem to get red as nice as the other ones without a lot of compromise. If I make red's delta E really small, than 50% saturation is really off target.

Here are my numbers.

Decent?
post #4658 of 11947 Old 10-15-2014, 09:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
orion I redid everything using zoyd's GCD. Much easier workflow when you use that disc!

I was able to solve my Cyan problem, but I can't seem to get red as nice as the other ones without a lot of compromise. If I make red's delta E really small, than 50% saturation is really off target.

Here are my numbers.

Decent?
Looks pretty good to me. Good job. Looks like your 100% targets are a bit off but that might be a limitation of your panel. It is more important to get the 25-75% saturation targets right.

post #4659 of 11947 Old 10-15-2014, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Looks pretty good to me. Good job. Looks like your 100% targets are a bit off but that might be a limitation of your panel. It is more important to get the 25-75% saturation targets right.
Yeah, there is just no way I can get 100% targets at ALL. The P55 set (See below) has the same exact problem. The CMS settings are useless for 100% sweeps.

I was able compromise a bit when I played with Red some more. dE 0.9 dL +0.3%. That's the best I can do.

Just wondering if I'm done done....it's 12:42 EDT and I'm tired of doing sweeps!

Here is buzzard's calibration on the P55. Mine is the P50. I think my numbers are fairly good.

BTW Orion, I owe you a beer, maybe two, or three....what's sad is most of this stuff I know but translating it into HCFR was a bit awkward. This client is begging for some workflow improvements on the GUI side.

EDIT: I just zonked in the S&M 2nd edition disc and I noticed that it and AVS709 don't agree on reference black AND according to S&M I might be clipping (but on AVS709 I am clearly not). Ah, I see a thread about that...LOL...nevermind...

(now to repeat this for the day - I am wondering what do people target for FTL for the daytime? 40-60 ftl?)

Last edited by pisymbol; 10-15-2014 at 10:18 PM.
post #4660 of 11947 Old 10-15-2014, 11:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 222
Quote:
I still do not see the luminance bar when I do saturation sweeps.
That's because it isn't available there ... It's only in the "Primary/Secondary" tab. Besides, I *thought* Zoyd had removed that (luminance bar) in favor of the RGB or HSV bars.

Quote:
Also, can someone tell me why I am using the AVS709 Saturation colors for measuring Primary and Secondaries instead of the 75% Color patterns.
Because the "75% Color" patterns are 100% Saturation and 75% Stimulus. Which is the opposite of what you want. Unfortunately, the label, "75% Color" is ambiguous and, frankly speaking, should never be used. As you've discovered, you can't tell if that means 75% Saturation, 75% Amplitude(Stimulus) or 75%Sat/75%Amp or 100%Sat, 75%Amp or 75%Sat/100%Amp ...

Quote:

I would have guessed that the 75% Color patterns are good for doing a primary and secondary sweep.
Correct. In some cases, using the "75% Color (amplitude) patterns gives a better result than the "100% Color(Amplitude) pattern.

The thing to remember here is that the AVS-HD disk was designed for the original (2.xx) version of HCFR, which did not have the "75% of REC709" psuedo-colorspace option ... or a bunch of other things either. This is one of the reasons I've been trying to steer you toward the GCD disk.
orion2001 likes this.

Last edited by HDTVChallenged; 10-16-2014 at 08:28 AM.
post #4661 of 11947 Old 10-15-2014, 11:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
(now to repeat this for the day - I am wondering what do people target for FTL for the daytime? 40-60 ftl?)
For my part, I don't change anything for "daytime," but then again I don't have any displays out in the solarium either.

Snark aside, this is going to be a personal judgement call. Only you can tell how much output you're going to "need" in your particular case.
post #4662 of 11947 Old 10-16-2014, 12:44 AM

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Same here. A little bump in the contrast and a few clicks on addapatative gamma on my VT60 and it's bright enough for daytime viewing.
post #4663 of 11947 Old 10-16-2014, 04:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTVChallenged View Post
That's because it isn't available there ... It's only in the "Primary/Secondary" tab. Besides, I *thought* Zoyd had removed that (luminance bar) in favor of the RGB or HSV bars.

Because the "75% Color" patterns are 100% Saturation and 75% Stimulus. Which is the opposite of what you want. Unfortunately, the label, "75% Color" is ambiguous and, frankly speaking, should never be used. As you've discovered, you can't tell if that means 75% Stimulus, 75% Amplitude(Stimulus) or 75%Sat/75%Amp or 100%Sat, 75%Amp or 75%Sat/100%Amp ...

Correct. In some cases, using the "75% Color (amplitude) patterns gives a better result than the "100% Color(Amplitude) pattern.

The thing to remember here is that the AVS-HD disk was designed for the original (2.xx) version of HCFR, which did not have the "75% of REC709" psuedo-colorspace option ... or a bunch of other things either. This is one of the reasons I've been trying to steer you toward the GCD disk.
Thank you. I really appreciate this. I have switched over to using the GCD disc for both color and gamma correction. The Workflow was much easier.

The only thing I see now is that GCD reference black (16) vs AVS709 (16) vs S&M 2nd (16) are all slightly different on my set. On GCD I can barely see 16 blink while on AVS709 I can't.

Not sure if I should move brightness down one more notch and then recheck things.
post #4664 of 11947 Old 10-16-2014, 04:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTVChallenged View Post
For my part, I don't change anything for "daytime," but then again I don't have any displays out in the solarium either.

Snark aside, this is going to be a personal judgement call. Only you can tell how much output you're going to "need" in your particular case.
I have been actually thinking that since my living room is just naturally dark (not home theater dark, but dark enough).

I targeted 38ftL for night since I like things slightly brighter. I need to see if my "night" section should be renamed "hfcr" and call it a day.
post #4665 of 11947 Old 10-16-2014, 04:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harlekin View Post

Also, over the long time it is more convenient to check your PCs output (HCFR pattern generator) against a trusted source (with AVS HD and GCD patterns) to hopefully confirm that you can use HCFRs integrated pattern generater - because especially with color checker patterns, it is MUCH faster to run them automated. Also GCD afair only includes the standard color checker patterns and not the more comprehensive CCSG pattern set. Alao HCFR now has an option to run a customized color set (random or "targeted") with 500 or more (or less.. ) color points, using a .csv file.
harelekin, in your Color guide, you don't talk about matching the luminance values of each color.

I made the mistake of making the colors all have the lowest dE as possible, but didn't realize the dL percentages on the bottom and as a result, had a calibration that was slightly off.
post #4666 of 11947 Old 10-16-2014, 08:49 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi, someone can help me with "error during generator initialization" ?
Fresh HCFR installation on Win7 SP1, 32 bit, with eye-one display 2 as a sensor. Steps: run hcfr, open new file, select internal generator and eye one as a sensor. When trying to do any test I get this error. Continuous reading from the sensor is OK.
Looks like something obvious, but can't figure this out.
Thanks,
Alex.
post #4667 of 11947 Old 10-16-2014, 08:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dumalkin View Post
Fresh HCFR installation on Win7 SP1, 32 bit, with eye-one display 2 as a sensor. Steps: run hcfr, open new file, select internal generator and eye one as a sensor. When trying to do any test I get this error. Continuous reading from the sensor is OK.
Looks like something obvious, but can't figure this out.
Thanks,
Alex.
You probably want to use, "View Images" (computer generates the test targets,) or 'DVD manual' (test targets come from a DVD, or BluRay disk.)

"Internal Generator" is something different.
post #4668 of 11947 Old 10-16-2014, 08:55 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dumalkin View Post
If you are trying to use the HCFR pattern generator, then you are falling prey to a slightly non-intuitive labeling in the software. You need to select "View Images" instead of HCFR pattern generator, and that will then use the HCFR generator (or madVR Test Pattern Generator) to display patterns on your display.

Edit - Ninja'd by HDTVChallenged!

post #4669 of 11947 Old 10-16-2014, 09:30 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by harlekin View Post

Thanks Harlekin.

Devo
post #4670 of 11947 Old 10-16-2014, 10:08 AM

Quote:
If you are trying to use the HCFR pattern generator, then you are falling prey to a slightly non-intuitive labeling in the software. You need to select "View Images" instead of HCFR pattern generator, and that will then use the HCFR generator (or madVR Test Pattern Generator) to display patterns on your display.

Edit - Ninja'd by HDTVChallenged!
Thanks. God bless whoever decided to label it this way.
Two unrelated questions:
When measuring plasma TV should I use LCD mode ?
When calibrating the projector what is better - to measure reflected from the screen light (I assume this is "projector" setting , or light from the projector lamp directly ? Technically, because my screen is non standard (goosystems) looks better to calibrate using reflected light, to be able to fix screen problems as well).And should I put ambient light filter on the sensor ? And probably use ambient setting ?
Thanks, Alex.
post #4671 of 11947 Old 10-16-2014, 02:31 PM

Another dumb question, in general, do you guys ever touch "Color" and "Tint" on your picture settings during calibration?

I see tons of calibration settings with these left at the factory defaults.
post #4672 of 11947 Old 10-16-2014, 10:50 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 24
I know I have set it up before because I calibrated my projector with it, but I loaned my laptop with the installation to someone and they removed the install. I told them to, before I realized that was my only copy.

Anyway, what I'm trying to do is get an i1display 2 set up. But of course the forum software for searches gives me everything for i1display, not 'i1display 2' so I can't find anything on this. It is actually an NEC mdsvsensor, but searches for NEC bring up things like necessary. So that is equally useless.
I know it has something to do with putting the driver in the correct directory, but when I do that I still just see simulator. I KNOW I got by this before, but can't remember how.
Anyone point me in the right direction?

Thx

edited:
Sorry, should have mentioned, this is on Vista

Scott Stephens

Last edited by sstephen; 10-16-2014 at 11:02 PM. Reason: added info
post #4673 of 11947 Old 10-17-2014, 04:28 AM

@sstephen :
I downloaded drivers from there, installed, then installed HCFR, and updated eye-one drivers with HCFR, according to their manual (no need to manually copy driver files, just do "update driver" from driver manager, select HCFR driver directory, and that's all.
post #4674 of 11947 Old 10-17-2014, 11:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Another dumb question, in general, do you guys ever touch "Color" and "Tint" on your picture settings during calibration?
Usually these are not very useful on modern displays with full CMS controls. The only reason to "touch" them would be if you don't have a meter but do have a "blue" filter/mode ... and an itch to do "something" even if it's not that helpful.

IOW, the CMS controls trump the basic color/tint controls.
post #4675 of 11947 Old 10-17-2014, 05:17 PM
Advanced Member

Thanks for trying to help. I guess I'm just dense.
1. What do you mean by when you say you "installed" the i1 drivers. There is no installation procedure there, just files. Do you mean you plugged in the device, let windows try to find a driver, then point it to the drivers you unzipped?
2. "and updated eye-one drivers with HCFR, according to their manual" What manual? Do you mean from the help, which seems outdated? The first post in this thread (which is where I got the instruction to copy the inf file to their drivers directory).
3. "just do "update driver" from driver manager, select HCFR driver directory, and that's all". This did nothing. Told me my driver was up to date.

I did "New" from the file menu
chose HCFR Generator
I still only see simulated sensor in the list

I uninstalled the driver, HCFR.
unzipped the drivers
installed hcfr
copied all the drivers to c:\Program Files\HCFR Calibration\Drivers (not into a subdirectory)
went into device mgr and did a scan for devices, killed the wizard, found the i1 Display and did 'update driver' selected c:\Program Files\HCFR Calibration\Drivers. Windows said it installed. Still only see simulated sensor.

Does this argyll stuff have to be downloaded and installed? I see that in the first post as well. I unzipped them, and added the bin directory to my PATH and expected nothing to change (and nothing changed).

what now?

Thx

Scott Stephens
post #4676 of 11947 Old 10-17-2014, 05:37 PM
Advanced Member

ok, I think I got past the problem.
1. Don't open hcfr after install of hcfr but before updating driver
2. copy i1_display.inf and i1_display.sys to c:\Program Files\HCFR Calibration\Drivers
3. in device manager, update i1 display driver. (said something about being unsigned, probably forgot the i1_driver.cat file??, but ignored it).
4. Then start hcfr.

SOme of the above may not be necessary, but at least I got that far. Now have more to do.

Thx

Scott Stephens
post #4677 of 11947 Old 10-18-2014, 08:00 AM

Can someone explain the Hi-res mode? It tell me to put the i1 pro 1 on white ref to calibrate device. Does it mean the white ref plate or 100% white window?
Also the serial number on my white ref plate does not match with number on i1 pro device. In this case, should I use hi res mode?
post #4678 of 11947 Old 10-18-2014, 11:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallengt View Post
Can someone explain the Hi-res mode? It tell me to put the i1 pro 1 on white ref to calibrate device. Does it mean the white ref plate or 100% white window?
Also the serial number on my white ref plate does not match with number on i1 pro device. In this case, should I use hi res mode?
The plate. If the serial numbers don't match the results are ambiguous; plus, you should probably get your money back from whomever sold it to you.
post #4679 of 11947 Old 10-18-2014, 09:31 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 259 Post(s)
Liked: 53
pisymbol... you seem to have a workflow that works well for you. I would be forever grateful if you could create a wiki page that has your step-by-step workflow for us rookies to use and learn from.
post #4680 of 11947 Old 10-18-2014, 09:33 PM

Guys, what display type should people be using for MOST LED LCD TVs?

My P502uiB1 is a VA panel, but the 55 is an IPS. I thought LCD RGB IPS was right when I did my calibration but I really didn't see one that was obvious.

There is like zero documentation regarding this too. If you get it wrong, will this throw off all the numbers? I was asked this in the P-Series calibration thread and since I'm not expert, I was hoping you guys could elaborate on the Display parameter.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Display Calibration

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page