HCFR - Open source projector and display calibration software - Page 216 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1405Likes

post #6451 of 11720 Old 08-18-2015, 12:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2361 Post(s)
Liked: 1988
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoyd View Post
only change was to add a check for new version and download option.
What? What? Really??????

(about damn time)

Michael

Did you really need to quote that entire post in your reply?
Welcome to AVS - Get out while you still can!
Don't guess, measure: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/91-au...l#post22789786
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6452 of 11720 Old 08-19-2015, 07:06 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked: 127
Hello,

Iam looking for some tips on getting blue luminance errors lowered.

I calibrated color on my Sony 900b using a colormunki photo with 100% Sat/luminance patterns and I got the overall delta E for colors and primaries at 1.69 with color set at 50 but all of my luminance errors are around 0 - 2.5% for all colors except for Blue which is at +23%......

I have been searching high and low on how I can get it even with the rest to no avail....I can bring color down to 46 and the lumince error will be at 0 but it makes the other colors very dim,like red would be at -13%.....So I would appreciate any tips as my tv does not have a cms and greyscale was already calibrated with a overall delta e of 0.35....Thanks again,
Attached Files
File Type: zip Sonycinema 1.zip (15.2 KB, 14 views)

Sony OLED XBR-65A1E| XBR65X950B|XBR55X900B|2-BR100/Subs|4K X10 Player
Denon - X7200WA|Roku Ultra 4k|PS4
Mirage Omnisat V2 5.1.4 Dolby Atmos set up with SVS PB2000 Sub

Last edited by PeterLewis; 08-19-2015 at 06:34 PM.
post #6453 of 11720 Old 08-21-2015, 08:12 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 3
"Guide" for VT50

Blank because the forum is blocking links only 4 posts of 5
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6454 of 11720 Old 08-21-2015, 08:16 AM

"Guide" for VT50

This is my method for calibrating my plasma. It started out as notes so I do not get lost in the middle of a calibration but it has grown to be quite comprehensive and might be considered to be a guide but just for my particular set up and it is also missing some nice pictures. Please critic and correct me as needed.

Panasonic VT50 Euro Calibration

Equipment

Laptop, DisplayPort to HDMI cable, HCFR 3.3.5, i1Display Pro (EODIS3, ID3, D3) and ControlCAL software by turbe
Set up

Enable the IFCC Professional modes on the TV and reset any settings in the Professional 1 mode including advanced settings. Switch to Professional 1 mode on HDMI1.
Connect the laptop to the HDMI1 input with the DisplayPort to HDMI cable and set Windows so the desktop extends on to the TV. The DisplayPort is most likely set to 0-255 full range and the TV will most likely detect this and set the picture to 0-255 full range.

Click [Start] > [Run] > dccw.exe and move the Display Color Calibration screen to the TV. Click [Next] and then [Cancel]. This resets any active colour LUTs and loads the ICC profiles to their respective displays as specified in the Windows Color Management page. Sometimes Windows will apply an ICC profile to the TV even though none are listed for the display. Skipping this step can result in strange readings like on the greyscale 100% = 120% Red 100% Green and 72% Blue and lots of head scratching.
Open Firefox and display the YouTube video "TV Static Noise 10 hours" in full-screen on the TV. This will wash the screen of afterglow during the continuous measurements later. Click away any popups.

Connect with ControlCAL to the TV and click [ISF Day] and [Get All]. Full instructions for ControlCAL come with ControlCAL as emails. The TV will show the name of the slider and its value changing when you change it in ControlCAL. Click [OSD Off] after confirming adjusting sliders is working ok. Connect the i1Display Pro placing it centrally on the TV. No special drivers are needed for the i1Display Pro as it just shows up in Device Manager as a USB Human Interface Device. Close the curtains and turn off any bright lights.

HCFR set up

Optionally delete the colorHCFR.ini - on start a new file is created with defaults.

Start HCFR and click [Advanced] > [Preferences] > [References] > [HDTV - REC 709 (75% 75%)], [Display Gamma], [Reference Gamma] = 2.2 [OK].

Click [New] > [Automatic generator] > [Next] > [X-Rite i1 DisplayPro] > [Next] > [Display Type Plasma (EDR for Plasma created with primaries R, G, B and White)].

Click [Calibrate] and move a small notepad window under the i1Display Pro and click [OK].

Enter the following in the Sensor Matrix and click [OK] - Correction matrix to map plasma EDR based correction to JETI 1211 by Zoyd
1.085195 0.009410 -0.003509
0.003101 1.086654 -0.000754
-0.008047 0.014608 1.063265

Click XYZ Measurement = [ON] on the main Measures screen to apply the correction matrix.

Click [Measures] > [Generator] > Set the VT50 as the target screen > Image area = 10% > APL = 0% > Image background = NO > Gray Scale = 0-255 > disable video LUT = YES [OK].

Press Alt + 9 to display the Belle Nuit test image. It should appear on the TV overriding the TV Static Noise video. This should show 12 dimmer than 16 and 255 brighter than 235. This confirms the modes on the video card is 0-255 Full and the TV is not clipping it and it confirms that the setup and settings are suited for calibration. Move the mouse to the image and click and press escape. Note that this is not the only combination that can be used for calibration. See https://www.avsforum.com/forum/139-di...l#post36413890

Press Alt + 1 to display the alignment test image and get the i1Display Pro lined up dead center on the screen.

10 Point white balance calibration

Click [Go] to measure the gray scale and wait for the measurements to complete. The first measurement will be black with a 0:0:0 triplet displayed on the TV and the last will be 255:255:255. Select the 100 column in the Measures Grey scale table and click [Continuous Measurement]. Now adjust the Red and Blue for 100 in the W/B 10PT page in ControlCAL. The goal is to get the bars in HCFR all the same level without touching green. Repeat this for 90 to 0 and click [Go] to measure the gray scale again to see the results. The white balance is now 10 point calibrated.

10 Point gamma calibration

Select the 90 column and click [Continuous Measurement]. Adjust the 90 in the GAMMA 10PT page in ControlCAL. The goal is to get the Y close to the Y target in the table on the Measures page. The Y targets are automatically calculated for 90-10 using the gamma setting when the 100 is measured. Repeat this for 80 to 0 and click [GO] to measure the gray scale again to see the results. The gamma is now 10 point calibrated.

Repeat the white balance 10 point calibration and gamma 10 point calibration again if the results are not satisfactory as the may affect act other. Be careful as measuring the 100 will recalculate the gamma Y targets for 90-10.

Primaries and secondaries calibration

Click [Advanced] > [Preferences] > [References] > [General] > [Use HSV Level Bars] ON > [OK].

Change the View dropdown to Primaries and Secondaries. Click [GO] to measure primary and secondary colours. Select the red column in the table and click [Continuous Measurement]. Adjust the hue then the luminance, saving the saturation for last for Red on the CMS page in ControlCAL. Switch to the CIE Diagram to adjust the hue, then switch back to the measures table and adjust the luminance. As the delta luminance approaches 0%, the Delta E will rapidly come down. Switch back to the CIE diagram and adjust the saturation. Repeat this for the remaining primaries green and blue then do the secondaries yellow, cyan and magenta.

The primaries and secondaries are now calibrated. If the CIE chart is full of continuous measurement points then switch to the Free Measures and delete the many free measures you created while in Continuous Measurement then switch back to the chart.

Repeat the 3 calibrations above as they affect each other. If the Gamma is too coarse (above or below but never spot on despite best efforts adjusting the gamma sliders) for 50 and above then get it slightly above the target and reduce all three RGB sliders by one notch and measure again.

Evaluating the calibration

Click [Advanced] > [Preferences] > [References] > HDTV - REC 709 [OK].

Click [Advanced] > [Preferences] > [References] > [General] > Use HSV Level Bars = OFF > [OK].

Click [Advanced] > [Preferences] > [References] > Colour Checker and choose one > Use measured gamma = ON.

This will use your Average Gamma instead of a fixed 2.22. Pantone skin tones or CalMAN SG (95 colours) are the most useful. Change the View dropdown to Colour Checker and click [GO].

Clean up

Change the View dropdown to Free Measures and delete the free measures created while in Continuous measurement.
Add some comments like date and dE AVG of the color checkers to the measurements and save them. Also click [Save] in ControlCAL to save the IFCC memory and [File] > [Save settings] to save the TV settings to a file.

Notes

HDTV - REC 709 (75% 75%) is a special mode for getting the best calibration for your primaries and secondaries. It uses 75% saturation and 75% luminance. Very little of what is displayed on the screen is 100% saturated 100% luminance - 75 75 is a good target and just because the outside of the CIE triangle is spot on does not mean that the inside is. Compare with the Colour Checker to see the improvement.

HDTV - REC 709 (75% 75%) and HDTV(OPT-Plasma) have no effect on greyscale measurements. But they do have an effect on the Colour Checker. Remember to switch back to HDTV - REC 709 before running the color checker or anything other than grey scale.

HDTV(OPT-Plasma) has control points optimised for plasma and can be used like the 75% 75%.

If measurements are jumpy then clicking the PLAY button in the sensor box will toggle averaging. This can also help when doing continuous measurements of low levels.

This guide is for the Euro VT50 which has a limited light output - moving the contrast above 36 will not increase light output. Because of this fact the two point calibration was skipped in this short guide. Also doing the low part of a two point calibration will cause reds to appear in the blacks.

The internal media player of the VT50 likes to play 0-15 and 236-255 instead of clipping them as it should do. This makes the player unsuitable for displaying test videos. I don't know why it does this but maybe it looks at the content for whiter than whites and blacker than blacks and plays accordingly. The Pioneer black hole demo video is displayed perfectly.

END
shpitz, mo949 and Dominic Chan like this.
post #6455 of 11720 Old 08-21-2015, 04:27 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm new to HCFR and have a very basic question. I'm running Parallels 10 with Windows 10 with an i1D3 with 3.36. When using continuous measurement, how do we exit or escape out of the selected pattern? Right now, I've selected the 100% greyscale pattern and I can't get out of it no matter what button I push.

Thanks.

Last edited by dstay22; 08-21-2015 at 04:34 PM.
post #6456 of 11720 Old 08-21-2015, 04:54 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 148 Post(s)
Quoted: 1783 Post(s)
Liked: 1348
post #6457 of 11720 Old 08-21-2015, 05:17 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Click the red X to stop or F8 key
Thanks for the quick reply. I know this is probably really simple, but I can't figure something else out. When I click on continuous measure, my laptop screen is covered by the test pattern--same as on my TV. Obviously I cant make adjustments if I can't see the levels moving. How do you configure your computer so the test pattern only goes to the TV and doesn't cover your computer screen?
post #6458 of 11720 Old 08-21-2015, 05:22 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 3778 Post(s)
Liked: 3606
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstay22 View Post
Thanks for the quick reply. I know this is probably really simple, but I can't figure something else out. When I click on continuous measure, my laptop screen is covered by the test pattern--same as on my TV. Obviously I cant make adjustments if I can't see the levels moving. How do you configure your computer so the test pattern only goes to the TV and doesn't cover your computer screen?
Your monitor should be "extended" not duplicated in windows.
post #6459 of 11720 Old 08-21-2015, 11:48 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 516 Post(s)
Liked: 285
@Zoid m8 i had done a recalibration in my set in win10 and i got the problem that the image in the output monitor is not full screen. I tried various ways to find the culprit by changing Nvidia Drivers and settings but all that was unsuccessful.

The solution for me was to change the resolution to 720p and that maked HCFR output to Full Screen which is fine for measurements so till a solution is found people can do the above.
jhughy2010 likes this.
post #6460 of 11720 Old 08-22-2015, 06:50 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

This is a video card and/or operating system scaling problem and not related to HCFR. The program sends a pattern that is sized based on what windows tells it the full screen dimensions are.
post #6461 of 11720 Old 08-22-2015, 08:57 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 516 Post(s)
Liked: 285
Got it so my system says 1080p but hcfr receives that my system is 720p. The strange is that even if i put the tv to 4k hcfr sends 720p no matter what. I will try harder
post #6462 of 11720 Old 08-22-2015, 09:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 121 Post(s)
Quoted: 4484 Post(s)
Liked: 1679
Quote:
This is a video card and/or operating system scaling problem and not related to HCFR. The program sends a pattern that is sized based on what windows tells it the full screen dimensions are.
With my laptop (Dell Latitude E6420), the partial screen problem can be "fixed" by displaying the "Test Colors" window and dragging it to the screen under test. Works for both Windows 8.1 and Windows 10.
post #6463 of 11720 Old 08-22-2015, 01:05 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hi, I need some help about calibrating lcd led TV with HCFR. My colorimeter is Xrite I1Display pro, when start program I choose IPS lcd led Samsung, LG (my TV is Samsung led 4k).
Videocard pixel format: YCbCr 4:4:4, in HCFR - measures generator configure - image area 100%, APL 18%, Pattern intensity 100%, Display mode GDI, Grayscale GDI 0-255, disable Video LUT.
( If I calibrate with RBG 4:4:4 full RGB on TV I must choose HDMI black level low because the black is not good in normal - the TV is not in PC mode.) GPU Scaling is disabled in videocard, the TV makes scaling of the picture.
In HCFR Preferences - Standard HDTC REC 709, Display gamma with black compensation (do I have to choose Display Gamma power law or ITU R BT.1886) Reference gamma 2.2, color checker paterns - GCD classic. So I start to calibrate, when calibrate grayscale looking for Delta E to be minimum and gamma 2.2. when calibrate primaries and secondaries I look for Delta E minimum, Delta xy =0, (or close to 0) and delta luminance to be minimum.
I'm looking for any advice about calibration.
post #6464 of 11720 Old 08-22-2015, 05:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 410 Post(s)
Liked: 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by chchrlam View Post
This guide is for the Euro VT50 which has a limited light output - moving the contrast above 36 will not increase light output. Because of this fact the two point calibration was skipped in this short guide. Also doing the low part of a two point calibration will cause reds to appear in the blacks.
With zoyd's matrix correction and Ted's CMS disc I obtained 100cdm2 at 45 contrast.
ConnecTEDDD likes this.
post #6465 of 11720 Old 08-23-2015, 02:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xvfx View Post
With zoyd's matrix correction and Ted's CMS disc I obtained 100cdm2 at 45 contrast.
Thanks for the tip. I never got around to testing increasing the contrast - just took everybodies word for it. I might just give that a go.
Any corrections or anything to add to my workflow? Also would you mind posting your .chc file.
post #6466 of 11720 Old 08-23-2015, 02:03 PM

Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 32
edit

Last edited by LucaT; 08-23-2015 at 04:57 PM.
post #6467 of 11720 Old 08-24-2015, 05:26 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstay22 View Post

I had similar problems, and although I can't check right now, I am pretty sure I had to go to Measures>Generator>Configure, and the Target output had to be changed. I am still having issues using the test patterns outputted to my TV, but I'm about to cover that below! ;-)
Iceberg86300 likes this.
post #6468 of 11720 Old 08-24-2015, 06:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominic Chan View Post
There are TVs that have 2-point and 10-point adjustments that are independent. However, I'm surprised that in your case all of the calibrations, whether 2-point or 10-point, seem to run out calibration range for blue in the low end.
What does the grey scale look like if you simply select the preset Low Colour Temp?
Can you take a picture of a grey step, to see if this is simply a "measurement issue" or "real"?

You can always use the View Test Colours screen instead of the custom patterns. It lets you specify any colour you want.

OK... so I had to take a break from calibrating for a while due to too many late nights and I honestly felt I was going insane!

I have settled on User mode for now, as it was the most visually pleasing of all the calibrated modes so far, and I have just been sitting back and getting an idea of the core problems I am finding with the image in its current state, albeit subtle. Most notable is an intensity in the oranges, which affects not only shots featuring heavy orange, but is also notably affecting wood grain and faces.

I have attached a few (compressed) photos from Django Unchained that highlight this to a degree. To be specific, the shadows in Lara Lee's face are abundantly orange/yellow, which is clearly overblown compared to an otherwise pleasant skin tone. I have tweaked the CMS settings a little to try tackling this, but find it difficult to tone it down without affecting face/skin tones in general. Also note that the screenshot is not a true indication of the overall image quality, but seems good enough to highlight the problem even though the issue appears a little worse on the TV than it does in these pics. The screenshot of the dinner table not only highlights an extreme yellow and orange (partly which I know is due to the colour of the film itself), but also how the outer edges can often appear overly bright compared to the centre.

I am still having issues using HCFR with my TV connected externally via mini-Display to HDMI. I was indeed able to bring up the Test Colors screen and drag it over to the TV, maximise the window and adjust the colour by entering the RGB values (thanks Dominic!), but problems arose when I started Continuous Measurement, as the TC window would always revert back to 16:16:16. I tried many times and many ways, but I simply could not get the test window to continue displaying the manually selected RGB values once continuous measurement (or even single, for that matter) was activated. Very strange. Additionally, I still remain at a loss with using the Advanced>Test Patterns menu, as I can bring up each fine, even while using continuous measurement, but just can't change the pattern levels, leaving me unable to even run a 10% greyscale sweep. I assure you, hair was pulled, bad words were screamed, and a laptop nearly merged with a TV... all the while frustrated that I just couldn't figure out what I'm sure is a simple and blindingly-obvious answer. So I had to walk away for a while.

I am looking to have another stab at it this week... again trying out a few suggestions above. I did manage to go through and take some greyscale screenshots like you suggested Dominic, but I'll post them separately below to get them within the attachment limitations.

Thanks for all the help so far!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Django 2.JPG
Views:	114
Size:	207.4 KB
ID:	904650   Click image for larger version

Name:	Django 1.JPG
Views:	120
Size:	202.5 KB
ID:	904658   Click image for larger version

Name:	Django 5.JPG
Views:	110
Size:	286.9 KB
ID:	904666  
jhughy2010 likes this.
post #6469 of 11720 Old 08-24-2015, 06:12 AM

Following on from the above, here are some photos taken of greyscale ramps on different modes, compiled together for easier attaching. This was from the AVSHD patterns on USB via my Pioneer BD player.

Although small, I have labelled each photo per the mode displayed. It should be clear to see the modes I've calibrated vs the modes I haven't! :-) And I would specifically be interested in any thoughts regarding User, as that is the mode I have settled on for now.

I have individual and alternate shots of each mode, so if you want to see a larger version just ask and I'll post.

Thanks again all!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Greyscale compilation small.png
Views:	131
Size:	965.4 KB
ID:	904674  
jhughy2010 likes this.
post #6470 of 11720 Old 08-24-2015, 08:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemery76 View Post
I am still having issues using HCFR with my TV connected externally via mini-Display to HDMI. I was indeed able to bring up the Test Colors screen and drag it over to the TV, maximise the window and adjust the colour by entering the RGB values (thanks Dominic!), but problems arose when I started Continuous Measurement, as the TC window would always revert back to 16:16:16.
To measure the Test Colors windows, you will need to set the Generator to DVD/manual; otherwise the inbuilt test pattern will overwrite it.

Quote:
Additionally, I still remain at a loss with using the Advanced>Test Patterns menu, as I can bring up each fine, even while using continuous measurement, but just can't change the pattern levels, leaving me unable to even run a 10% greyscale sweep.
Not sure why you're using the custom patterns to do the 10% grey scale sweep, as there's a preset for it already. If you want to manual select one IRE level, just click on that column head.

Last edited by Dominic Chan; 08-24-2015 at 09:01 AM.
post #6471 of 11720 Old 08-24-2015, 09:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Although small, I have labelled each photo per the mode displayed. It should be clear to see the modes I've calibrated vs the modes I haven't! :-) And I would specifically be interested in any thoughts regarding User, as that is the mode I have settled on for now.
The User Mode actually shows a lack of blue at >90IRE, which may explain the yellow tint you see. For some reason, it's much more noticeable on the lower ramp than on the upper ramp, although that may be caused by the camera.

At the lower IREs there's an excess of blue (130% based on your chc file). Is the Blue Offset already at its lowest setting?

I was actually asking if the excess blue is still present if you select the Low preset Color Temperate; if so, that would indicate an issue with the TV that's out of the adjustment range.

Last edited by Dominic Chan; 08-24-2015 at 11:30 AM.
post #6472 of 11720 Old 08-24-2015, 11:24 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Some potentially helpful hints when using a secondary display:
  1. Set desktop configuration to "extended", not "duplicated" or "mirrored".
  2. Set-up dual display before starting HCFR.
  3. If external display is disconnected/reconnected while HCFR is running, reselect Automatic generator (measures->generator->select)
  4. Ensure that two displays are available in measures->generator->configure->target screen and that you have selected the correct one. This will depend on which screen you have set as primary (1) and secondary (2) using the extended screen set-up of the OS.
s1andel and jhughy2010 like this.
post #6473 of 11720 Old 08-24-2015, 02:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 906 Post(s)
Liked: 288
@Clemery76 , is there a reason why you don't try to calibrate movie mode? I believe that movie mode will yield the lowest color temperature without making any adjustments. If I were you, I would start with movie mode and quit messing around with other modes. There are essentially two modes I use for my Sharp TV. Movie mode for everything under the sun except for gaming. I use game mode for gaming because the input lag at the controller/mouse is much reduced. I have calibrated both modes

My advice is to start with 2 point gray scale. Don't even bother with 10 point yet. In fact, I believe that 10 point resets 2 point for these Sharps so it really becomes less advantageous to use 10 point.

Let's focus on grays scale before messing with CMS. Make sure CMS is set to their default values before calibrating gray scale. Furthermore, what other settings have you played around with? What have you enabled or disabled in the settings? Check out the Sharp thread to see what I have enabled and disabled in recent weeks (as well as other users who have calibrated this TV like Rlindo). How did you adjust contrast, backlight and brightness? These settings should be adjusted first and foremost. I have found with the Sharps that lowering contrast a few clicks from default will yield a much lower average dE across the board for all points (10 point gray scale, primaries, secondaries and color checker).

Once we can help you out with the aforementioned settings I can help explain CMS and some of the findings with these Sharps. CMS value is essentially broken (at least it is broken for the SQ and the UQ). If it weren't broken we'd be able to get orange under control. Yellow is another culprit. You will see that there will be some compromise for yellow and orange in order to get them to have either low dE or to have regular skin tones.
post #6474 of 11720 Old 08-24-2015, 02:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhughy2010 View Post
@Clemery76 , is there a reason why you don't try to calibrate movie mode? I believe that movie mode will yield the lowest color temperature without making any adjustments. If I were you, I would start with movie mode and quit messing around with other modes.
His TV looks very blue in movie mode - see the screen shot.
post #6475 of 11720 Old 08-24-2015, 03:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 906 Post(s)
Liked: 288
Quote:
His TV looks very blue in movie mode - see the screen shot.
True, however, I wonder if color temp is set to its lowest setting within movie mode.
post #6476 of 11720 Old 08-24-2015, 06:31 PM

Wow... a lot of feedback to get through. Thanks guys!

Quote:
To measure the Test Colors windows, you will need to set the Generator to DVD/manual; otherwise the inbuilt test pattern will overwrite it.
D'OH! See? Simple and plainly obvious! Thanks Dominic... I thought I was going crazy!

Quote:
Not sure why you're using the custom patterns to do the 10% grey scale sweep, as there's a preset for it already. If you want to manual select one IRE level, just click on that column head.
I'm still learning with HCFR and haven't really seen a specific user manual. Please indulge my ignorance and confirm for me the steps... so I click on a particular % column (say 40) in the measurements window, then do I just click the Go button to the right, or do I launch a pattern via the Advanced>Test Patterns window?

Quote:
At the lower IREs there's an excess of blue (130% based on your chc file). Is the Blue Offset already at its lowest setting?
Yep... in pretty much every mode I have calibrated, I find that blue is reduced to its absolute lowest level (-30) at the lower IRE's, and heavily reduced (between -25 and -28) at the higher IRE's.
I have yet to try your suggestion of checking the other default colour temp scales, and will be one of the first things I do when I get back into it. Again though, the 10-point adjustment seems to operate independently from these default selections.

Quote:
is there a reason why you don't try to calibrate movie mode?
I have two Movie modes on my Sharp. Movie mode and Movie THX mode. I initially chose the THX mode based on general advice that it should be closest to the industry standard of all the default modes and figured it would be a good mode to concentrate on. The Movie mode greyscale as per the screenshot is at factory default settings. I fully intend on calibrating all modes and will go for regular Movie mode next. You can be sure I will be posting results!

I also have two Game modes (Standard and High Motion), and I agree that it is the best option to minimise lag. I also really like the pop that High Motion brings to the mode, so tend to go for that. I have to say too, that I love using Film Mode (motion enhancement) on games like Forza... it just looks magical! I will surely be calibrating Game mode at some point too, and I find it interesting that after getting used to the currently calibrated modes like User, going back to the uncalibrated Game mode really stands out as being off... while a month ago it would have been the opposite.

Quote:
Let's focus on grays scale before messing with CMS. Make sure CMS is set to their default values before calibrating gray scale. Furthermore, what other settings have you played around with? What have you enabled or disabled in the settings? Check out the Sharp thread to see what I have enabled and disabled in recent weeks (as well as other users who have calibrated this TV like Rlindo). How did you adjust contrast, backlight and brightness? These settings should be adjusted first and foremost. I have found with the Sharps that lowering contrast a few clicks from default will yield a much lower average dE across the board for all points (10 point gray scale, primaries, secondaries and color checker).

Given my issues using HCFR (so far!), and suspecting that direct feed USB video is processed differently to HDMI video, I have been using the AVSHD patterns on USB via my Pioneer 3D BD player (which also has its own Contrast/Brightness/Colour settings, but I leave these at default). I use the White Clipping and Black Clipping patterns to adjust each manually (for the early THX calibrations, I also used my meter to get down to 40ftL - is this recommended?).
Before doing any greyscale, each mode is returned to factory default, all synthetic picture processing is switched off, sharpness reduced to 0 (0 confirmed to be correct via patterns). All CMS settings remain at default values (0 across the board on all modes - further highlighting that each mode operates under different ranges).

I then basically follow the old Curt Palme HCFR guide to go through and check then calibrate the greyscale, using the meter position video to get it my meter dead centre. Only after calibrating the greyscale to the levels attached in earlier posts from me have I then moved onto CMS, and even then only on a couple modes (including User).

One question that I have been meaning to ask is what people think with regards to different media players displaying the same test patterns differently? It already seems clear to me that there is a difference when calibrating via direct-feed USB patterns vs the same USB via my BD player (and in some cases, calibrating a mode using direct-USB does not affect the same mode via HDMI - User in particular), which seems different again to my earlier trials using the USB through my Humax PVR. So do you also find a slight difference in output between your devices, or should the patterns all appear the same whether you use a PVR, BD player, PS4, X1, etc (at factory settings)?

Thanks again for all the support here. My eagerness to get back into has increased a great deal from your responses, and will hopefully have some success stories to share in the coming days!
post #6477 of 11720 Old 08-24-2015, 06:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I'm still learning with HCFR and haven't really seen a specific user manual. Please indulge my ignorance and confirm for me the steps... so I click on a particular % column (say 40) in the measurements window, then do I just click the Go button to the right, or do I launch a pattern via the Advanced>Test Patterns window?
If you want to do an automatic grey scale sweep, simply click on the "Measure gray scale" icon on the Measures toolbar - you've probably been doing that already.
If you want to measure/adjust a specific point, select the respective column heading in the Measures tab, and then click on the Continuous Measures icon.
post #6478 of 11720 Old 08-25-2015, 12:02 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:
Wow... a lot of feedback to get through. Thanks guys!

snip
One question that I have been meaning to ask is what people think with regards to different media players displaying the same test patterns differently? It already seems clear to me that there is a difference when calibrating via direct-feed USB patterns vs the same USB via my BD player (and in some cases, calibrating a mode using direct-USB does not affect the same mode via HDMI - User in particular), which seems different again to my earlier trials using the USB through my Humax PVR. So do you also find a slight difference in output between your devices, or should the patterns all appear the same whether you use a PVR, BD player, PS4, X1, etc (at factory settings)?
snip
In regards to external sources, they should all output the same.

In reality they often don't, but this depends on what sources you have chosen as well as the TV.

To find out you need a known good source, then compare all others to that.

Usually it's a DVD or BD player. I'd be more inclined to trust your pioneer (with ALL the extra junk turned off)

Pop in a test disc, measure something, then plug in a USB stick with in which you've dragged and dropped the content of the test disc, then measure the same and compare results. Ideally they should match. You can also test the built in generator of this software the same way to make sure things line up.

Re your CAL's. Do you have a blue only mode? If so, what does a vanilla sempte color bar pattern look like using one primary at a time? This goes back to beginner land with just color/hue adjustment, but I'd be interested in seeing the pattern with blue, green, and red only modes to see if the calibration may have screwed things in this department.

Just your observations though. Unless you have a grey or white card to calibrate your camera's white balance it could be wildly changing images. Even with a good camera it could be mucking things up.

Regards,

Steve
post #6479 of 11720 Old 08-25-2015, 12:15 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 16
BT 1886 references

Guys, a couple Simple questions

What number should I enter following the BT 1886 selection?
Should I enter 2.4 for the expected Gamma?

Also, when measuring using BT 1886, should I use the Override black?

Thanks for your time.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	hcfr References.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	178.2 KB
ID:	907114   Click image for larger version

Name:	Grey Scale 2.2.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	214.0 KB
ID:	907122  

Devo
post #6480 of 11720 Old 08-25-2015, 01:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumble Devo View Post
What number should I enter following the BT 1886 selection?
Should I enter 2.4 for the expected Gamma?
You do not enter any value for the expected gamma when using BT.1886. The "effective gamma" is calculated automatically based on the measured white point and black point.

Quote:
Also, when measuring using BT 1886, should I use the Override black?
You don't normally need to use Override black, unless you find it difficult to get a consistent black level reading, or if you prefer a gamma curve different from the one calculated from the measured black point.
Rumble Devo likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Display Calibration

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page