HCFR - Open source projector and display calibration software - Page 377 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1444Likes

post #11281 of 12074 Old 01-13-2019, 11:43 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Is it possible to calibrate a Samsung q9fn with the Programme?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #11282 of 12074 Old 01-15-2019, 10:58 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 55
What is the best display type to select for a Sony x90f LCD. All the options are either for IPS LCD panels (the Sony is a VA panel), and a few OLED panels. Do I use direct display or Non Direct Display? Thanks in advance
post #11283 of 12074 Old 01-17-2019, 03:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3396 Post(s)
Liked: 4218
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael2907 View Post
Is it possible to calibrate a Samsung q9fn with the Programme?
Sure, no problem, just use proper and compatible with HCFR patterns for SDR doing a REC.709 colorspace calibration and HDR10 patterns for REC.2020 colorspace calibration.

See there for some guides: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/139-d...l#post57368134
Madmax67 likes this.

Ted's LightSpace CMS Calibration Disk Free Version for Free Calibration Software: LightSpace DPS / CalMAN ColorChecker / HCFR
S/W: LightSpace CMS, SpaceMan ICC, SpaceMatch DCM, CalMAN 5, CalMAN RGB, ChromaPure, ControlCAL
V/P: eeColor 3D LUT Box - P/G: DVDO AVLab TPG
Meters: JETI Specbos 1211, Klein K-10A, i1PRO2, i1PRO, SpectraCAL C6, i1D3, C5
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #11284 of 12074 Old 01-17-2019, 04:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocat View Post
What is the best display type to select for a Sony x90f LCD. All the options are either for IPS LCD panels (the Sony is a VA panel), and a few OLED panels. Do I use direct display or Non Direct Display? Thanks in advance
For your display, select LCD (for non-refresh displays type), its the default mode.

Refresh is for CRT/Plasma or DLP projectors etc.

When you select 'refresh', the refreshing period will be measured and this will affect the integration time which will be used. (I'm saying it as general info).

When you have only a colorimeter, you will have to select the closest match of your display tech (but its not sure if you will have good results without a spectro).

The ideal solution is to use a spectrophotometer to create a unique meter correction table for your Sony.

If this is not possible, one solution is to use the default calibration table, I think is called Generic Default CMF in HCFR.

When someone don't have access to a spectro, a workaround to improve his color accuracy (for DisplayCAL/HCFR/ArgyllCMS users) is to try locating a CCSS (Colorimeter Correction Spectral Sample) file, if someone has measured with his spectro and uploaded that spectral file for your display, it will work with i1Display PRO or ColorMunki Display (both meters can read spectral corrections).

But when you are using CCSS correction, you assume that the internal spectral data of X-Rite meter from the factory hasn't drifted, since the internal meter spectra + CCSS spectra data are used to create a correction matrix.

DisplayCAL/HCFR/ArgyllCMS support also CCMX file, but using other people CCMX file will not work, only if you have your own meters combo (colorimeter+spectro) you can create matrix based correction (CCMX = Colorimeter Correction Matrix) which will be only valid for your current meters/display.
Madmax67 and ocat like this.

Ted's LightSpace CMS Calibration Disk Free Version for Free Calibration Software: LightSpace DPS / CalMAN ColorChecker / HCFR
S/W: LightSpace CMS, SpaceMan ICC, SpaceMatch DCM, CalMAN 5, CalMAN RGB, ChromaPure, ControlCAL
post #11285 of 12074 Old 01-17-2019, 06:40 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Is it possible to create a correction file for a I1 display pro using a Colormunki Design ( or Photo ) spectro ? (noob question of course).
post #11286 of 12074 Old 01-17-2019, 06:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Quoted: 5000 Post(s)
Liked: 1922
Quote:
Originally Posted by jj-34 View Post
Is it possible to create a correction file for a I1 display pro using a Colormunki Design ( or Photo ) spectro ? (noob question of course).
Yes, but keep in mind the Colormunki Design/Photo is not a very accurate spectro.

See the accuracy testing results here
https://www.drycreekphoto.com/Learn/...nHardware.html

Last edited by Dominic Chan; 01-17-2019 at 07:00 AM.
post #11287 of 12074 Old 01-17-2019, 07:10 AM

Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominic Chan View Post
Yes, but keep in mind the Colormunki Design/Photo is not a very accurate spectro.

See the accuracy testing results here
https://www.drycreekphoto.com/Learn/...nHardware.html
The fact is I have a Colormunki Design that I use to calibrate my photo monitor and photo printer, and as I just bought a new I1 Display Pro, the question whether it was worthwhile to correct it with the Colormunki, or maybe not ?
post #11288 of 12074 Old 01-17-2019, 07:34 AM
CFC
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConnecTEDDD View Post
If this is not possible, one solution is to use the default calibration table, I think is called Generic Default CMF in HCFR.
Where is this option in HCFR?
I know where the refresh/non-refresh and other CCSS selections are, but I don't recall seeing "Default CMF".

Thanks,
CFC

Signature goes here
post #11289 of 12074 Old 01-17-2019, 08:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
The fact is I have a Colormunki Design that I use to calibrate my photo monitor and photo printer, and as I just bought a new I1 Display Pro, the question whether it was worthwhile to correct it with the Colormunki, or maybe not ?
I would only do that if the display type is not directly supported by the i1Display Pro.
post #11290 of 12074 Old 01-17-2019, 08:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFC View Post
Where is this option in HCFR?
I know where the refresh/non-refresh and other CCSS selections are, but I don't recall seeing "Default CMF".
I believe its the 'None' @ spectral correction selection, so meter works at its factory default mode (which report RAW XYZ values)

post #11291 of 12074 Old 01-17-2019, 05:48 PM
CFC
Advanced Member

Quote:
I believe its the 'None' @ spectral correction selection, so meter works at its factory default mode (which report RAW XYZ values)
Hmm... no, I don't see that option. At least not with the ColorMunki Display. The closest to generic would seem to be refresh, or non-refresh.

CFC

Signature goes here
post #11292 of 12074 Old 01-18-2019, 03:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Hmm... no, I don't see that option. At least not with the ColorMunki Display. The closest to generic would seem to be refresh, or non-refresh.
Can you post a picture with the available options you have?

I found a very old HCFR picture, I don't have ColorMunki Display here to check, but look:

post #11293 of 12074 Old 01-18-2019, 05:03 AM
CFC
Advanced Member

Quote:
Can you post a picture with the available options you have?

I found a very old HCFR picture, I don't have ColorMunki Display here to check, but look:

Yeah,
It looks different now on 3.5.1.4
There's no separate drop down for "spectral sample", they are contained within the "display type" drop down.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/attac...512420&thumb=1

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/attac...512422&thumb=1

My guess is that selecting refresh or non-refresh does the trick, but I'm not sure.

Thanks,
CFC
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	HCFR1.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	99.9 KB
ID:	2512420   Click image for larger version

Name:	HCFR2.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	101.9 KB
ID:	2512422  

Signature goes here
post #11294 of 12074 Old 01-18-2019, 05:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
My guess is that selecting refresh or non-refresh does the trick, but I'm not sure.
Correct, its these 2 selections where they use the default meter calibration mode. (called Generic CMF or RAW XYZ to other calibration software)
CFC and ocat like this.

post #11295 of 12074 Old 01-18-2019, 09:39 PM

Liked: 55
Quote:
For your display, select LCD (for non-refresh displays type), its the default mode.

Refresh is for CRT/Plasma or DLP projectors etc.

When you select 'refresh', the refreshing period will be measured and this will affect the integration time which will be used. (I'm saying it as general info).

When you have only a colorimeter, you will have to select the closest match of your display tech (but its not sure if you will have good results without a spectro).

The ideal solution is to use a spectrophotometer to create a unique meter correction table for your Sony.

When someone don't have access to a spectro, a workaround to improve his color accuracy (for DisplayCAL/HCFR/ArgyllCMS users) is to try locating a CCSS (Colorimeter Correction Spectral Sample) file, if someone has measured with his spectro and uploaded that spectral file for your display, it will work with i1Display PRO or ColorMunki Display (both meters can read spectral corrections).

But when you are using CCSS correction, you assume that the internal spectral data of X-Rite meter from the factory hasn't drifted, since the internal meter spectra + CCSS spectra data are used to create a correction matrix.

DisplayCAL/HCFR/ArgyllCMS support also CCMX file, but using other people CCMX file will not work, only if you have your own meters combo (colorimeter+spectro) you can create matrix based correction (CCMX = Colorimeter Correction Matrix) which will be only valid for your current meters/display.

Great info Ted. Purchased your calibration disc as a thank you. Cheers
ConnecTEDDD likes this.
post #11296 of 12074 Old 01-19-2019, 02:59 PM

Liked: 6
So I recently discovered that my GTX 970 graphics card doesn't support HDR so I'll have to get a newer graphics card in order for me to fully calibrate my Sony XBR-49x800D.
EDIT: nevermind turns my 40 foot in wall hdmi cable doesn't support HDR according to Amazon.

I also have some questions about calibrating my tv. Under video options I see HDR mode which has HDR10 and HLG as well as auto mode. Do I just use Auto for everything?

With HDMI video range do I use Full, Limited, or Auto?

And with Color Space I see DCI, Adobe RGB, BT2020, sRGB/BT709, and Auto. again do I just leave it on auto?

When Calibrating what should the color space be? do I calibrate first with HDR10 uncheck in the menu and then check that once I have stuff calibrated? Then I calibrate HDR10? Has anyone here calibrated a Sony X800D?

Last edited by Tatts4Life; 01-21-2019 at 12:32 PM.
post #11297 of 12074 Old 01-21-2019, 02:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Hi, sure, its the best you can do since you own both meters, just read some recommendation about improving the meter profiling procedure, located at the end of this page.
jj-34 likes this.

post #11298 of 12074 Old 01-21-2019, 02:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
There is a detail about your colorimeter...

ColorMunki Display don't have sync scanning capability, so selecting ''refresh'' or ''non-refresh'' mode, it will provide exact same results.

The selection between these 2 modes is useful for i1Display PRO users only, because i1Display PRO can scan the display refresh rate and sync the reading to the measured refreshing rate.

post #11299 of 12074 Old 01-21-2019, 05:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked: 262
Quote:
ColorMunki Display don't have sync scanning capability, so selecting ''refresh'' or ''non-refresh'' mode, it will provide exact same results.
Yes, the ColorMunki Display doesn't have a synchronization mode, but selecting "refresh" mode will double the normal integration time, which can help diminish the effects of a display that flickers.
ConnecTEDDD likes this.

Author of ArgyllCMS and ArgyllPRO ColorMeter
post #11300 of 12074 Old 01-21-2019, 08:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwgill View Post
Yes, the ColorMunki Display doesn't have a synchronization mode, but selecting "refresh" mode will double the normal integration time, which can help diminish the effects of a display that flickers.
Good info, I was expecting the drivers to understand that there no sync capability and ignore any extra unnecessary delay, but good to know how is actually working.

post #11301 of 12074 Old 01-21-2019, 11:08 AM

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Hi,

Got a question about the HCFR internal pattern generator.

I got a HDR projector (Epson) and laptop (max 1080p resolution) having hdmi out.

If I run HCFR with it internal pattern generator enabling HDR10 option, can I use the laptop to calibrate HDR mode with manual HDR on at PJ measuring patterns in extended monitor (PJ)? connection : Laptop -> hdmi -> PJ

The HCFR pattern will work fine for HDR calibration even if my laptop can't do HDR or 4K and it can't run HDR10 mode to send HDR patterns to PJ?

Thanks.
post #11302 of 12074 Old 01-21-2019, 12:37 PM

Liked: 6
When I start up HCFR my screen looks normal and enable hdr10 is checked. When I uncheck enable hdr10 and run a greyscale my tv enables hdr10 and the screen looks super washed out. Is this normal or is a setting backwards?
post #11303 of 12074 Old 01-21-2019, 01:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebits View Post
Hi,

Got a question about the HCFR internal pattern generator.

I got a HDR projector (Epson) and laptop (max 1080p resolution) having hdmi out.

If I run HCFR with it internal pattern generator enabling HDR10 option, can I use the laptop to calibrate HDR mode with manual HDR on at PJ measuring patterns in extended monitor (PJ)? connection : Laptop -> hdmi -> PJ

The HCFR pattern will work fine for HDR calibration even if my laptop can't do HDR or 4K and it can't run HDR10 mode to send HDR patterns to PJ?

Thanks.
If your laptop can’t output HDR then the HCFR Enable HDR10 option doesn’t do anything. However, as long as the projector itself is in HDR10 mode (presumably selected manually), the patterns will work just fine.
post #11304 of 12074 Old 01-21-2019, 07:48 PM

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
If your laptop can’t output HDR then the HCFR Enable HDR10 option doesn’t do anything. However, as long as the projector itself is in HDR10 mode (presumably selected manually), the patterns will work just fine.
Thank you for your reply!
post #11305 of 12074 Old 01-23-2019, 06:57 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 489 Post(s)
Liked: 281
HDR10 check box doesn't do anything about telling Windows 10 in HDR mode (TV as well) that the app needs to throw HDR patterns, I still get SDR boxes within my HDR HDMI output. I can watch Netflix and YouTube HDR and play HD games and my TV is set to HDR< but no matter what I try, HCFR in HDR10 doesn't trigger any allowances from Windows 10 to allow it to operate as HDR.

How do I get HCFR for Mac to use my i1D3 meter...it only shows options for some old Spyder meters.

Paul
post #11306 of 12074 Old 01-24-2019, 02:05 PM
CFC
Advanced Member

Is there an option for 11-pt grayscale measurement? Would like to adjust 5% IRE along with rest of typical 10-pt.

Thanks,
CFC

Signature goes here
post #11307 of 12074 Old 01-24-2019, 03:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Is there an option for 11-pt grayscale measurement? Would like to adjust 5% IRE along with rest of typical 10-pt.

Thanks,
CFC
Why not just select 20 points?
post #11308 of 12074 Old 01-24-2019, 03:11 PM
CFC
Advanced Member

Quote:
Why not just select 20 points?
For the sake of time, since I can't adjust the additional points specifically (15%, 25%...)
It's not a big deal obviously, I end up adjusting 10-pts, then convert to 20-pts and adjust 5%, and then evaluate the whole on 20-pt to ensure proper tracking.
Just making sure I wasn't missing something to make things only slightly easier.

CFC

Signature goes here
post #11309 of 12074 Old 01-24-2019, 03:13 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 489 Post(s)
Liked: 281
Quick BT.1886 setup questions before I begin my hours long calibration of my Sony X900F.

My TV, at 120cd/m brightness, has a black level of around 0.038cd/m with contrast set to maximum, and local dimming turned off.

Once I check off the BT.1886 box, should I set the override black on or off, and if on, do I let it sweep a new black level each time, or enter my 2.2 power law previously registered black level of 0.038, which has been known to change as I adjust my 0-10% RGB?

The boxes to the right of BT.1886 checkbox, what values should be entered into Effective @50% and % Input Offset?

I am not aiming for any particular custom BT.1886 tune, just want to see how this TV performs in a black hole dark room, as I have read that Sony Cinema Pro picture profile aims for "BT.1886/2.4". Stock the TV registers around 2.15 gamma when sweeping power law 2.2 with black override.

Paul
post #11310 of 12074 Old 01-24-2019, 03:47 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Question OEM eye-one Pro

Hi all

Anyone know whether an OEM eye-one Pro device (rev D, part 42.17.79) will work with latest HCFR (using Argyll drivers)?

Thanks
Roland
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Display Calibration

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page