HCFR - Open source projector and display calibration software - Page 388 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1370Likes

post #11611 of 11650 Old 05-14-2019, 08:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominic Chan View Post
From what I can see, your GPU was not in the 0-255 mode, even when you attempted to set it that way. This happens frequently, as the GPU "sees" the 16-235 range of the TV and adjusts accordingly.

There's a utility in madVR that will force the GPU to full range. That should solve the problem.
I assume that you mean the madLevelsTweaker? I'll try that, thank you.

Quote:
As a side issue, I'm confused by your GDI pattern source. Why would you be using the external GDI patterns? HCFR has automatic (built-in) patterns; if you do prefer using the patterns on your FireTV, HCFR should be set for Manual patterns, not GDI.
Sorry for the confusion. My sources are HCFR (GDI or madTPG) with generator set to "automatic", or the GCD patterns via FireTV/Kodi with the generator set to "DVD Manual". I've included the GCD CIE pattern for comparison to the HCFR sourced pattern which shows a deficiency in Cyan but not in any other primaries or secondaries. Can the range error (16-235) explain the Cyan difference? If not, what can cause just the Cyan secondary to be so much lower than with the GCD pattern?

-phil

Life's a party, let's get out and strut.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #11612 of 11650 Old 05-14-2019, 09:03 AM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilB View Post
The .chc files that I generated the previous screenshots from are in the attached zip file.

-phil
Quote:
From what I can see, your GPU was not in the 0-255 mode, even when you attempted to set it that way. This happens frequently, as the GPU "sees" the 16-235 range of the TV and adjusts accordingly.

There's a utility in madVR that will force the GPU to full range. That should solve the problem.

As a side issue, I'm confused by your GDI pattern source. Why would you be using the external GDI patterns? HCFR has automatic (built-in) patterns; if you do prefer using the patterns on your FireTV, HCFR should be set for Manual patterns, not GDI.
If using an Nvidia graphics card, there are two locations that set the range.

The first is under Video > Adjust video color settings. You select your display, click on with nvidia settings, go to the advanced tab, then set the dynamic range to Full (0-255).

The second one, which people are more familiar with, is under Display > Change Resolution then selecting the display, use Nvidia color settings, then changing the color format, color depth, and output dynamic range.

With MadVR, it's settings often override the dynamic range for the Video >adjust video color settings since it is using the "video player settings." It also has the limited and full range settings in MadTPG which can be changed (I leave that on full though).
post #11613 of 11650 Old 05-14-2019, 10:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 114 Post(s)
Quoted: 4308 Post(s)
Liked: 1549
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajc9988 View Post
With MadVR, it's settings often override the dynamic range for the Video >adjust video color settings since it is using the "video player settings." It also has the limited and full range settings in MadTPG which can be changed (I leave that on full though).
In this case the madVR readings are consistent with GDI full range. It’s only the GDI Limited readings that are incorrect.
ajc9988 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #11614 of 11650 Old 05-14-2019, 11:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
In this case the madVR readings are consistent with GDI full range. It’s only the GDI Limited readings that are incorrect.
Dominic,

Do you have any ideas as to why the Cyan secondary measures much weaker with the madTPG generated primary/secondary sweep as compared to the externally (GCD) sourced sweep? If memory serves, I saw the same behavior using GDI mode in HCFR. Is it possible that HCFR is feeding the wrong values to the PC renderer?

-phil

post #11615 of 11650 Old 05-14-2019, 11:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Dominic,

Do you have any ideas as to why the Cyan secondary measures much weaker with the madTPG generated primary/secondary sweep as compared to the externally (GCD) sourced sweep? If memory serves, I saw the same behavior using GDI mode in HCFR. Is it possible that HCFR is feeding the wrong values to the PC renderer?

-phil
That’s very unlikely. Since you also have external patterns you can easily check that.

Are the TV’s CMS settings at their default settings?
post #11616 of 11650 Old 05-14-2019, 11:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
That’s very unlikely. Since you also have external patterns you can easily check that.

Are the TV’s CMS settings at their default settings?
The comparison to GCD is exactly why I'm concerned. It seems that either HCFR or GCD is creating the wrong values for cyan as they disagree so greatly.

I've gone through a CMS calibration in addition to grey scale, so the settings are not at default.

-phil

post #11617 of 11650 Old 05-14-2019, 11:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
The comparison to GCD is exactly why I'm concerned. It seems that either HCFR or GCD is creating the wrong values for cyan as they disagree so greatly.

I've gone through a CMS calibration in addition to grey scale, so the settings are not at default.

-phil
I can't do the comparison. Of the three .chc files posted, only one (madTPG) contains the data for the Primary/Secondary colours.
post #11618 of 11650 Old 05-14-2019, 12:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I can't do the comparison. Of the three .chc files posted, only one (madTPG) contains the data for the Primary/Secondary colours.
The file "After Color Calibration GCD source.chc" has Primary/Secondary color information with the GCD source.

-phil

post #11619 of 11650 Old 05-14-2019, 02:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
The file "After Color Calibration GCD source.chc" has Primary/Secondary color information with the GCD source.

-phil
Those measurements were done using 3.5.1.7.
post #11620 of 11650 Old 05-14-2019, 04:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Those measurements were done using 3.5.1.7.
Yes, that is correct. All four measurements were made with 3.5.1.7. I'll reinstall 3.5.1.4 and then run a new grey scale and primary/secondary calibration with the madTPG settings changes suggested above. I'll report back with my results.

Thanks,

-phil

Last edited by PhilB; 05-14-2019 at 04:38 PM.
post #11621 of 11650 Old 05-14-2019, 06:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Yes, that is correct. All four measurements were made with 3.5.1.7. I'll reinstall 3.5.1.4 and then run a new grey scale and primary/secondary calibration with the madTPG settings changes suggested above. I'll report back with my results.

Thanks,

-phil
That’s strange. I was able to open the other three using 3.1.4, but not this one.
post #11622 of 11650 Old 05-15-2019, 11:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
That’s strange. I was able to open the other three using 3.1.4, but not this one.
I've run a full grey scale calibration (EOTF target Gamma 2.2) and primary/secondary saturation sweep after clearing previous greyscale and CMS settings and reverting to HCFR 3.5.1.4. I'm seeing similar differences between GDI(0-255) and GDI(16-235) that I saw previously. I'm also seeing large differences in the saturation sweep when sourced with external patterns (GCD) vs. HCFR generated patterns. I'll describe those in a bit, but first I'd like to post my PC/GPU settings. I'd appreciate any advice if I'm doing something wrong.

My laptop has two graphics controllers: integrated Intel HD Graphics 4000 and NVIDIA NVS 5200M. I'll focus on the NVIDIA settings as that is the controller which I have selected for my HDMI connection. I'll list what I think are the pertinent settings from the NVIDIA control panel, what options are available, and which I have selected (indicated by a * and in bold).

Display->Change resolution
2. Apply the following settings.
Desktop color depth: Highest(32-bit)*, Medium(16-bit), Lowest(8-bit)
Output color depth: 8 bpc, 12 bpc*
Output color format: RGB*, YCbCr444
Output dynamic range: Limited, Full*

Video->Adjust video color settings
2. How dow you make color adjustments? With the video player settings, With the NVIDIA settings*
Color->Brightness: +50%
->Contrast: +50%
->Hue: +179
->Saturation: +50%
Gamma->Red: +1.00
Green: +1.00
Blue: +1.00
Advanced->Dynamic range: Full(0-255)*, Limited(16-235)

I have a few questions about how to set these options for greyscale and CMS calibration with HCFR:
1) Should I use YCbCr44 rather than RGB output?
2) Should I use 8 bits rather than 12 bits color depth?
3) Should I use the video player color settings rather than the NVIDIA settings?

Now for the greyscale calibration results. I ran an 11-point greyscale calibration using madTPG as the renderer and HCFR as the pattern generator. After calibration I measured the greyscale with the following rendering options: madTPG, GDI(0-255) and GDI(16-235. I also measured with patterns sourced from the GCD via FireTV/Kodi. Here's a summary of the results:

HCFR/madTPG: flat RGB levels across all luminance levels except for a blue deficiency at 15% which my 11-point controls don't allow me to correct. DeltaE < 0.5 across the board except for 15%.
HCFR/GDI(0-255): mostly flat RGB response with some channel separation at low IREs. DeltaE < 0.5 except for spikes at 15%, 25% and 55%.
HCFR/GDI(16-235): exponential decay RGB curve with >500% Y error at 5% luminance. DeltaE linearly drops from 6.0 to 0.3.
FireTv/Kodi/GCD: mostly flat RGB response, very similar to the GDI(0-255) measurements at 10% and above. Slightly increased levels at 5% luminance. Green channel is slightly depressed relative to Red and Green. DeltaE generally good, below 2.0 except at 95%.

I have a few questions/thoughts about these results.
1) Based upon the external source (GCD) results I'd infer that the madTPG and GDI(0-255) measurements are valid and the GDI(16-235) measurements are invalid. Is that a reasonable conclusion?
2) Why are the results different for the low IRE (<30%) between GDI(0-255) and madTPG? As they both have the same source generator (HCFR) I'd expect the same results.
3) Which is a better renderer for grey scale calibration, madTPG or GDI?

Finally to the saturation sweeps. I measured a 5-point saturation sweep (0%, 25%, 50%, 75%, 100%) for all three primaries and three secondaries with two different sources. I made no changes to the CMS settings in my TV before the measurements. Here is what i see in the Rec709 CIE diagrams:
1) FireTv/Kodi/GCD source:
a) The red and green primaries are slightly larger than the Rec709 standard, likely due to the expanded color space of my qunatum dot display.
b) The green and magenta curves are slightly rotated off of the Rec709 targets.
c) All 5 measurements are reasonably spaced for all primaries and secondaries and generally agree with the REC709 targets.
2) HCFR/madTPG source:
a) The 0% and 100% measurements align with the Rec709 targets well with red and green closer to the Rec709 levels than the GCD sourced patterns.
b) The middle three measurements (25%, 50%, 75%) are compressed toward the top with the 25% measurements at the 50% Rec709 targets, the 50% measurements above the 75% targets and the 75% measurements very near to the 100% target.
1) Does the madTPG saturation sweep point to a problem with the source (highly unlikely as I assume that HCFR has been thoroughly vetted), or a problem with my set up? If my setup, what could be the issue? From the manual source (GCD) I conclude that my TV is capable of generating a Rec709 compliant color response but I'm confused as to why I'm not able to use HCFR generated patterns to measure this.

I've attached a number of files which show my results:

After Grey Scale calibration - madTPG.jpg : measured RGB and deltaE curves using madTPG renderer, after grey scale calibration using madTPG renderer
After Grey Scale calibration - GDI (0-255).jpg : measured RGB and deltaE curves using GDI renderer with 0-255 range, after grey scale calibration using madTPG renderer
After Grey Scale calibration - GDI (16-235).jpg : measured RGB and deltaE curves using GDI renderer with 126-235 range, after grey scale calibration using madTPG renderer
After Grey Scale calibration - GCD.jpg : measured RGB and deltaE curves using GCD patterns, after grey scale calibration using madTPG renderer
Color measures after Grey Scale calibration - GCD.jpg : measured primary/secondary saturation sweep using madTPG renderer
Color measures after Grey Scale calibration - madTPG.jpg : measured primary/secondary saturation sweep using GCD patterns
grey scale.zip contains:
After Grey Scale calibration - GCD.chc
After Grey Scale calibration - GDI (0-255).chc
After Grey Scale calibration - GDI (16-235).chc
After Grey Scale calibration - madTPG.chc
color measures.zip contains:
Color measures after Grey Scale calibration - GCD.chc
Color measures after Grey Scale calibration - madTPG.chc
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	After Grey Scale calibration - madTPG.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	121.8 KB
ID:	2567202   Click image for larger version

Name:	After Grey Scale calibration - GDI (0-255).jpg
Views:	14
Size:	128.1 KB
ID:	2567204   Click image for larger version

Name:	After Grey Scale calibration - GDI (16-235).jpg
Size:	129.1 KB
ID:	2567206   Click image for larger version

Name:	After Grey Scale calibration - GCD.jpg
Size:	133.8 KB
ID:	2567208   Click image for larger version

Name:	Color measures after Grey Scale calibration - madTPG.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	108.3 KB
ID:	2567210  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Color measures after Grey Scale calibration - GCD.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	108.8 KB
ID:	2567212  
Attached Files
File Type: zip grey scale.zip (56.2 KB, 4 views)
File Type: zip color measures.zip (4.0 KB, 3 views)

post #11623 of 11650 Old 05-15-2019, 02:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Video->Adjust video color settings
2. How dow you make color adjustments? With the video player settings, With the NVIDIA settings*
Color->Brightness: +50%
->Contrast: +50%
->Hue: +179
->Saturation: +50%
Gamma->Red: +1.00
Green: +1.00
Blue: +1.00
Advanced->Dynamic range: Full(0-255)*, Limited(16-235)
Why is the Hue setting at +179?

Quote:
HCFR/GDI(0-255): mostly flat RGB response with some channel separation at low IREs. DeltaE < 0.5 except for spikes at 15%, 25% and 55%.
HCFR/GDI(16-235): exponential decay RGB curve with >500% Y error at 5% luminance. DeltaE linearly drops from 6.0 to 0.3.
As mentioned previously, to use GDI(16-235) the graphics card must be in 0-255 mode. If you look at the luminance at 100% that is not the case.

Quote:
2) Why are the results different for the low IRE (<30%) between GDI(0-255) and madTPG? As they both have the same source generator (HCFR) I'd expect the same results.
As mentioned previously, GDI(0-255) does not give you accurate results. The error is more noticeable at lower levels.
post #11624 of 11650 Old 05-15-2019, 02:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Why is the Hue setting at +179?
I don't know why, but that's the default setting from NVIDIA. That setting is why I'm thinking about using the video player settings (I assume in this case it would be madTPG) rather than NVIDIA settings.

Quote:
As mentioned previously, to use GDI(16-235) the graphics card must be in 0-255 mode. If you look at the luminance at 100% that is not the case.
To the best of my knowledge the graphics card is in 0-255 mode. I've set that value in two different NVIDIA settings and the madTPG settings, I'm not sure where else to set the range. Perhaps I'll switch to the integrated Intel GPU. Do you think the Intel GPU is capable of creating proper test patterns?

Quote:
As mentioned previously, GDI(0-255) does not give you accurate results. The error is more noticeable at lower levels.
Is there any reason to use GDI rather than madTPG?

Do you have any thoughts as to why I'm seeing such an difference in saturation sweeps between madTPG and the GCD patterns?

Thanks,
-phil

post #11625 of 11650 Old 05-15-2019, 03:21 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
I don't know why, but that's the default setting from NVIDIA. That setting is why I'm thinking about using the video player settings (I assume in this case it would be madTPG) rather than NVIDIA settings.

To the best of my knowledge the graphics card is in 0-255 mode. I've set that value in two different NVIDIA settings and the madTPG settings, I'm not sure where else to set the range. Perhaps I'll switch to the integrated Intel GPU. Do you think the Intel GPU is capable of creating proper test patterns?

Is there any reason to use GDI rather than madTPG?

Do you have any thoughts as to why I'm seeing such an difference in saturation sweeps between madTPG and the GCD patterns?

Thanks,
-phil
Apart from setting the GPU to 0-255, you don't want the GPU to do anything else to the signal.
In my Nvidia I have to set Nvidia to "make color adjustments" so I can set the card to 0-255.
However, by allowing Nvidia to "make color adjustments", I don't know what other processing I am allowing Nvidia to do.
Even then, I'm still not sure if the card is doing 0-255, so I also use "Nvidia RGB Full Range Toggler" which is a small program that alters some registry settings to ensure the Nvidia GPU is 0-255.
My source (Kodi's video player, or my Blu-Ray player) are set to Limited (16-235), and so is my display (Epson 1080p projector).
post #11626 of 11650 Old 05-15-2019, 03:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordo View Post
Even then, I'm still not sure if the card is doing 0-255, so I also use "Nvidia RGB Full Range Toggler" which is a small program that alters some registry settings to ensure the Nvidia GPU is 0-255.
madVR also comes with a small utility that forces the graphics card to 0-255.
post #11627 of 11650 Old 05-15-2019, 05:06 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
madVR also comes with a small utility that forces the graphics card to 0-255.
I noticed that.
My problem is that I am using Kodi 18.1 (Leia), and they haven't developed madVR for Leia yet.
post #11628 of 11650 Old 05-15-2019, 06:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordo View Post
I noticed that.
My problem is that I am using Kodi 18.1 (Leia), and they haven't developed madVR for Leia yet.
That utility is independent of madVR. It just sets the graphics card to the right range.
Nordo likes this.
post #11629 of 11650 Old 05-15-2019, 07:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I found the source of my saturation sweep error. My notebook uses NVIDIA Optimus Technology, for what that's worth. I disabled Optimus in BIOS and strangely enough now the Intel integrated GPU doesn't show up in device manager only the NVIDIA GPU, but at the same time saturation sweeps using madTPG look correct and are very similar to the GCD sweeps. I think I'm finally ready to do a full grey scale/CMS calibration using HCFR as my pattern generator. This should speed up my calibration process significantly vs. using manual pattern control.

Thanks for all of the help guys.
-phil

post #11630 of 11650 Old 05-16-2019, 12:09 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
That utility is independent of madVR. It just sets the graphics card to the right range.
Thanks Dom. I didn't realise that.
post #11631 of 11650 Old 05-16-2019, 12:12 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I found the source of my saturation sweep error. My notebook uses NVIDIA Optimus Technology, for what that's worth. I disabled Optimus in BIOS and strangely enough now the Intel integrated GPU doesn't show up in device manager only the NVIDIA GPU, but at the same time saturation sweeps using madTPG look correct and are very similar to the GCD sweeps. I think I'm finally ready to do a full grey scale/CMS calibration using HCFR as my pattern generator. This should speed up my calibration process significantly vs. using manual pattern control.

Thanks for all of the help guys.
-phil
Life (and calibrating) was never meant to be easy.
Happy to hear you persisted and sorted it out.
post #11632 of 11650 Old 05-16-2019, 04:28 PM

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
I have been getting lots of help from Anderegg on learning HCFR to calibrate my Sony 75X900F as he owns a 49X900F, but I was getting much higher gamma values where he was using the TV gamma slider set to 0 to get a 2.2 average gamma. I was getting like 2.4 or 2.5, I don't remember, but I was having to use the TV gamma slider to +2 to be able to get a final average gamma around 2.0, with many of my 2pt and 10pt values maxed out.

I bumped/dropped my i1Display Pro at one point early in my learning process, and thought maybe I screwed up my meter, so I decided to order a new meter and have taken multiple readings with the OLD meter and the NEW meter and they seem to be pretty much the same, so looks like my original meter is fine.

I am getting some weird readings between a direct HDMI connection from my laptop, and using the Chromecast Ultra I own.

I run all my equipment through my Denon X2400H receiver, with a single HDMI out of the receiver to the TV on HDMI3 input. I also had the Chromecast hooked up to an HDMI input on the receiver, which was being output on the same cable to the HDMI3 input on the TV.

I hooked the HDMI from my laptop to the receiver and took "measure gray scale" reading with the OLD meter, and then switched to the Chromecast and took another "measure gray scale".

I did both readings via HDMI and Chromecast for the NEW meter.

I then decided to take the receiver out of the picture and go directly from the laptop to the HDMI3 input, and also connect the Chromecast directly to the HDMI3 input on the TV.

So I took the same 2 readings with the OLD and NEW meters, 1 via HDMI and 1 via Chromecast.

I have zipped the OLD and NEW meter readings and attached them. If you look at the 20% readings, every time I took a reading via HDMI with either the OLD or NEW meter, the Blue value was around 94%. If you look at the same 20% readings done via Chromecast, the Blue value was around 106%. Red and Green for this 20% reading were about the same OLD vs NEW, HDMI vs Chromecast.

Can someone explain this to me? I would like to be able to use the Chromecast functionality, but based on this, I don't know if that is a wise choice, or if I have some settings messed up that I need to adjust.

My laptop is set to "Full Range", and HCFR is set to 0-255.

Thanks
Attached Files
File Type: zip NEW METER.zip (4.8 KB, 2 views)
File Type: zip OLD METER.zip (4.8 KB, 3 views)
post #11633 of 11650 Old 05-16-2019, 04:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsnov73 View Post
My laptop is set to "Full Range", and HCFR is set to 0-255.
It doesn't look like the laptop is actually running in Full Range. Run the madLevelsTweaker utility to confirm.
post #11634 of 11650 Old 05-16-2019, 05:23 PM

Quote:
It doesn't look like the laptop is actually running in Full Range. Run the madLevelsTweaker utility to confirm.

First off, for my knowledge, what indications from my scans tell you that I am not actually running in Full?

Second, I downloaded MadVR, extracted the folder, and clicked on the madLevelsTweaker and when the popup showed up on my screen the window was on the laptop screen and I hit the Apply button.
Then I realized it says to move the box onto the target screen, and when I do, it recognizes what monitor it is on, but the Apply button is now greyed out and un-clickable. So I closed everything, tried to run it again, move it to the TV screen, but the Apply button is still greyed out. I am not sure what to do at this point.
post #11635 of 11650 Old 05-16-2019, 05:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
First off, for my knowledge, what indications from my scans tell you that I am not actually running in Full?
If your graphics card is in Full and you set HCFR to full as well, the levels should not match Chromecast (but it does).
post #11636 of 11650 Old 05-16-2019, 05:46 PM

Quote:
If your graphics card is in Full and you set HCFR to full as well, the levels should not match Chromecast (but it does).
I'm sorry, I'm confused. The levels don't match between HDMI and Chromecast scan, which is why I questioned it.

What should my settings be? Full on the laptop and Full in HCFR? And in this case HDMI and Chromecast values should match or not match?

Which levels are you saying shouldn’t match? I was questioning the blue levels, which clearly don’t match.
post #11637 of 11650 Old 05-16-2019, 06:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I'm sorry, I'm confused. The levels don't match between HDMI and Chromecast scan, which is why I questioned it.
The white level would have a difference of about 20% in the White patch between limited range and full range, e.g., from 123 to 148 nits as shown in this post:
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/139-d...l#post58045666

Your white levels are essentially the same between the two (110.953 vs 110.873).

Quote:
What should my settings be? Full on the laptop and Full in HCFR? And in this case HDMI and Chromecast values should match or not match?
The recommended setting is Full on graphics card and limited in HCFR.
post #11638 of 11650 Old 05-16-2019, 06:15 PM

OK, thanks! I was just looking at the blue levels, just because it was so obvious it was different between the 2 scans. Wasn't looking at other values.

I will check again in the morning.
post #11639 of 11650 Old 05-18-2019, 03:15 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 424 Post(s)
Liked: 227
HCFR 16-235 vs 0-255

So to make sure I am understanding this correctly, setting HCFR GDI to 16-235 is the same as setting video levels inside Nvidia Control Panel to 16-235. The video signal data is bit for bit 16-235, the TV should be manually set to 16-235, and when you feed this LIMITED range signal through the HDMI at 0-255 (GPU set to full range), basically, you are simply keeping 16 at 16 through the whole chain, and 235 at 235 through the whole chain, which makes bits happy and makes HCFR happy? Doing this sends 0-15 and 236-255 data, but that data is irrelevant, and simply left there to keep 16 from being converted to and from 0, and 235 from being converted to and from 255 which makes HCFR sad?

I have calibrated this way, and my final calibrations are producing better color dE (1.0dE became 0.83dE) than had been previous possible running HCFR GDI in 0-255 mode.

Paul

Sony X900F SDR and HDR Calibrations https://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-l...l#post57551552
post #11640 of 11650 Old 05-18-2019, 03:57 AM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Yes, correct:

GPU RGB 0-255 (full range)
HCFR (or calman, or media player, madVR etc.) 16-235 (limited)
TV/projector 16-235 (limited)

= bit-perfect video signal (if GPU driver settings for video optimization are disabled).

The ranges from 0-15 and 236-255 are not irrelevant! TVs and projectors use these areas for calculations within their image processing (overflow, rounding). That is very signifcant and leads to a much lower noise and reduces artefacts (compared and tested with several TVs and HT projectors) compared to a complete 0-255 signal chain.

MadVR guides are misleading and recommend 0-255 for the whole signal chain. This would be correct if we could assume a perfect RGB display (computer monitor) with zero image processing.

GPU RGB 0-255 only in resolution/output settings. Leave GPU video settings at default (16-235/limited) to prevent additional conversion.

With customer GPUs for SDR leave color resolution at 8 bit (not 12 bit) to prevent additional dithering. With HDR it is different.

Warm regards,
bejoro
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Display Calibration

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page