HCFR - Open source projector and display calibration software - Page 391 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1405Likes

post #11701 of 11723 Old 06-14-2019, 07:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebr9999 View Post
I mean what I find in display type as WRGB OLED (LG B7(2017))

It is an i1D3. Thanks for spottng. I have fixed it in my post. My understanding is that spectral samples are not supported in HCFR measurements. Some corrections are eventually pre-loaded I1D3 (factory), but this is not the case. What is my guess (but @zoyd may clarify the opposite), is that Zoyd's correction results in a matrix, whose evidence we don't have at user level.
The HCFR spectral sample files are what you select in the Display Type dropdown and you chose Zoyd's WRGB OLED ccss file. The files are normally located in C:\Users\<your windows id>\AppData\Roaming\color.

Your results show that Zoyd's C7 sample for the i1D3 can be very accurate on a C8.

Advertisement

post #11702 of 11723 Old 06-15-2019, 12:31 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdbimmer View Post
The HCFR spectral sample files are what you select in the Display Type dropdown and you chose Zoyd's WRGB OLED ccss file. The files are normally located in C:\Users\<your windows id>\AppData\Roaming\color.

Your results show that Zoyd's C7 sample for the i1D3 can be very accurate on a C8.
I was looking for ccss in the wrong place .... I agree, If you also take in account the sistematic error you have on red luminance (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/139-d...re-update.html), the diffeernce of what read was by Zoyd on his pannel and what I have read on mine is very low. Unlucky it is only a single case.

TV: LG 55E8PLA, Pana TX-L37ET5E BD/DVR: Panasonic BMR-BWT735 Media player: Teufel Connector 2, HT Rec: ANTHEM MRX 510,
Front: Woofer&Tweeter, Center: 2Woofer&1Tweeter, Surround: Bose acoustimass 5 series II, Sub: SVS SB2000
post #11703 of 11723 Old 06-15-2019, 12:51 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked: 22
How do I best balance RGB?

Everybody,

I am trying to calibrate HDR on an LG 2016 OLED. When I do a grayscale measure, and display RGB...

- I see that as IRE increases from left to right, the numbers for RGB increase, as well. What do the numbers represent?
- I often hear advice to simply balance RGB for a given IRE. With three different numbers, how do I best balance them?
- do I try to get them as close as I can to the D65 dashed line?
- do I pick the one that will require the smallest adjustments to the other two, and move them?
- something else

Thank you, in advance...
Ron
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #11704 of 11723 Old 06-15-2019, 02:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1839 Post(s)
Liked: 1097
Quote:
Originally Posted by RIppolito View Post
Everybody,

I am trying to calibrate HDR on an LG 2016 OLED. When I do a grayscale measure, and display RGB...

- I see that as IRE increases from left to right, the numbers for RGB increase, as well. What do the numbers represent?

- I often hear advice to simply balance RGB for a given IRE. With three different numbers, how do I best balance them?

- do I pick the one that will require the smallest adjustments to the other two, and move them?

- something else

Thank you, in advance...

Ron
You have to make sure you selected the right display profile.

Sent from my LGMP450 using Tapatalk
post #11705 of 11723 Old 06-15-2019, 02:21 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Everybody,

- something else

Thank you, in advance...
Ron
Depends on 2pt or 10/11/20pt.

For 2pt (offset and gain, which sets can use other names for those), you are trying to balance RGB for the lowest dE WITHOUT gamma included.

For that, you have the 20/80, 30/80, 20/100, 30/100 patches paired to try to reduce it to fully balanced.

What I personally do, because how it is implemented on some sets, is to ONLY change blue and red at the high end, whether with 100 or 80% patterns, as changing green can effect contrast features on some sets and thereby effect the tone map a bit.

For the low end, some say do NOT change the offset because it can throw off your near black significantly! It can also throw off the overall tone map is argued as well.

Personally, what I like to do is to minimize what changes are done at offset, as it can raise black levels and does throw off for HDR anything around the 10% and below mark. But, because I focus on the middle first, then the low end, I do allow the lowest end to go a little further off.

I do full grayscale sweeps. Then do the high end (gain) values for RGB. Then, I do another sweep. I move only one offset color at a time, then do another sweep. Then repeat while trying to maintain low end without overly increasing the errors there (no more than 1.5 dE on 5%) while getting the middle closer. Then rebalance the gain. Continue doing sweeps while monitoring the overall dE average for the grayscale.

Now, that means I WILL have more errors at the near black than others here. Facts ARE facts. But I can, while using dE ICtCp with my set, get it to 0.48 dE across the grayscale before I ever begin the grayscale with gamma using the 10/11/20 point corrections. Most will tell you just let the low end be because you can still correct it out on the 10/11/20 pt with gamma corrections. Probably a better practice overall and what I would do if I was calibrating someone else's display.

In any case, with 10/11/20pt correction, you need to switch it in preferences to include gamma in the dE calculations. Then, you try to balance all three of them (except at 100% where you only change red and blue) to 100% while also matching the Y (luminance) value. By switching on to include gamma with dE, it will automatically include the luminance in the target value.

Now, you should try to adjust the near white slope target values to match whatever your display does. If it hard-clips, leave BT.2390 not selected. If it rolls off at the high-end, then select BT.2390. You may click override targets, then change the NW value and % value until the roll-off target roughly matches the natural curve at the near white for your set. Then you can start your gamma passes. Many like to sweep downward when doing gamma, starting at 100% and moving to 5% when doing gamma. It may take multiple passes to minimize the error values. For my own sets, I target getting under 0.3 dE avg across all of gray scale with gamma. Some sets just can never get that low (and some projectors for sure). If you can get to 0.22 dE with gamma, you are golden. In the 0.15-0.18 range, I have rarely achieved that with my sets, but if you can get it with yours, blessed. That is more than anyone really could ask. Technically, anything under 0.5 dE you could move on to CMS, but try for lower than 0.4 dE if you have the time and patience and your set or projector allows for it with tuning.
RIppolito likes this.
post #11706 of 11723 Old 06-15-2019, 06:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 121 Post(s)
Quoted: 4508 Post(s)
Liked: 1685
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajc9988 View Post
In any case, with 10/11/20pt correction, you need to switch it in preferences to include gamma in the dE calculations. Then, you try to balance all three of them (except at 100% where you only change red and blue) to 100% while also matching the Y (luminance) value. By switching on to include gamma with dE, it will automatically include the luminance in the target value.
Just to elaborate on this point:
You can match Y to Y-Target regardless of “w/ gamma” or “w/o gamma”. The advantage with using the former for 20pt is that you don’t need to look at Y; when R/G/B are all at 100% then Y automatically matches Y-Target.
RIppolito and ajc9988 like this.
post #11707 of 11723 Old 06-16-2019, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominic Chan View Post
Just to elaborate on this point:
You can match Y to Y-Target regardless of “w/ gamma” or “w/o gamma”. The advantage with using the former for 20pt is that you don’t need to look at Y; when R/G/B are all at 100% then Y automatically matches Y-Target.
Thank you both for the helpful suggestions. However, I still have a (basic) question...

For any specific IRE column, when I display the RGB values instead of xyY, I usually have three different values for R, G, and B. With the direction to 'balance RGB', should I...
- adjust all three to the D65 dashed line?
- hold one constant, and adjust the other to it?

Once all three are in balance, do I move all three in unison to adjust luminance?

Thank you in advance...
Ron

PS - what do the numbers for RGB represent? Do they represent the component of that color (in nits) in that sample?
post #11708 of 11723 Old 06-16-2019, 05:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thank you both for the helpful suggestions. However, I still have a (basic) question...

For any specific IRE column, when I display the RGB values instead of xyY, I usually have three different values for R, G, and B. With the direction to 'balance RGB', should I...
- adjust all three to the D65 dashed line?
- hold one constant, and adjust the other to it?

Once all three are in balance, do I move all three in unison to adjust luminance?
As mentioned previously, it's much easier to look at the R/G/B percentages in the "Selected color" window. If you use the "w/gamma" option, having all three colours at 100% means you have both the correct white balance, and the correct luminance.
RIppolito likes this.
post #11709 of 11723 Old 06-16-2019, 07:46 PM

Quote:
As mentioned previously, it's much easier to look at the R/G/B percentages in the "Selected color" window. If you use the "w/gamma" option, having all three colours at 100% means you have both the correct white balance, and the correct luminance.
Thanks, Dominic. I missed the point of using 'with gamma' will get me where I need to be...
Ron
post #11710 of 11723 Old 06-16-2019, 08:51 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 20
I'm slowly becoming experienced at calibrating my 1080p projector, and have been happy with the results.
I've actually run the calibration about 4 or 5 times now, as I learn more and more with each run, and refine my method.

However, sometime in the future I will be buying a 4K OLED or QLED television, and obviously would like to calibrate it as well.
I have only glossed over the posts regarding modern displays, but it appears that it is not as straight-forward as calibrating based on HD709.

Has anyone written a definitive guide (using HCFR) to calibrating these modern displays?
post #11711 of 11723 Old 06-16-2019, 09:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Thanks, Dominic. I missed the point of using 'with gamma' will get me where I need to be...
Ron
Most people find that the Green is fairly close, so adjust the Red and Blue around the Green.
With my display (old 1080p projector) it's all a bit of a compromise - so after doing the initial 2 pt, then a full sweep (10 or 20 pt), I fine tune the middle area (say 40 - 70%) to get it as close as I can without stuffing up the low IRE or the high IRE too much.
The general opinion is that the middle area is the most important, followed by low, and then high.
Have fun.
RIppolito likes this.
post #11712 of 11723 Old 06-17-2019, 12:02 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 64
If you adjust 100% with 10/20p you should do it first. This is the reference point for the calculations.

Panasonic OLED55FZW 804
i1 Display Pro OEM 2018 profiled by Jeti 1501
i1 Pro 2, DVDo AVLab TPG, HD Fury Integral
Oppo UDP203
post #11713 of 11723 Old 06-30-2019, 02:20 AM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hi,
Wegen i User the masciola hdr10 patter.,what musst i Change in the settings?
Sorry for my Bad english.

Gesendet von meinem SM-N960F mit Tapatalk
post #11714 of 11723 Old 07-10-2019, 10:42 PM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 0
No one?

post #11715 of 11723 Old 07-11-2019, 12:18 AM

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Normally no one would want to say anything discouraging about poor English, but that post was actually pretty difficult to understand. Maybe try again with different words?
post #11716 of 11723 Old 07-11-2019, 03:08 PM

Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael2907 View Post
Hi,
Maybe I can try a better wording : "Because I use the Masciola HDR10 patterns, what settings should I modify ?"
post #11717 of 11723 Old 07-11-2019, 04:24 PM

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by jj-34 View Post
Maybe I can try a better wording : "Because I use the Masciola HDR10 patterns, what settings should I modify ?"
Ok at least the wording is very clear now The question is a big one however: I will have to let a better expert try to answer it ..
post #11718 of 11723 Old 07-11-2019, 05:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael2907 View Post
Hi,
Sorry for my Bad english.

Assuming you've set up HCFR for HDR, there used to be one setting that needed to be changed when using Masciola's disc patterns - "Gray levels rounding assumption -> Use 10 bit targets (HDR10 Blu-ray). However, I believe that is no longer necessary with the latest patterns.
post #11719 of 11723 Old 07-21-2019, 01:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 43
HCFR HDR10 calibration of Vizio PQ65 - correct EOTF settings?

I am using HCFR to calibrate my Vizio PQ65 for HDR10, with Mehanik's HDR-10 calibration and test patterns set for test patterns as my laptop does not support HDR output.

After quite a bit of work I managed to get what looked like a very good calibration, with average dE of 0.25 and luminance curve which matches the target EOTF. However I see banding in some highlights (sunrises in blue skies for example) on some HDR10 demo material so I'm concerned that I've done something wrong.

HDR is a whole new game for me, particularly with varying luminance targets. My display produces 2200+ nits when calibrated. What I'm not sure of is what peak luminance patterns I should use for 2200 nits, and how to configure the HCFR Master MinL, Master MaxL, Content MaxL and Frame Avg. MaxL options.

The Mehanik test patterns provide 5% Greyscale steps with MaxCLL/MaxFALL of 4000/1000 nits or 1000/400 nits. Which is the proper selection for my 2200 nit TV and what should I use for the HCFR settings to match that pattern (I assume the same values as the patterns).

Thanks,
-phil

Life's a party, let's get out and strut.
post #11720 of 11723 Old Yesterday, 01:58 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Hi
I read in german HiFi Forum, that the Spider X is supported by HCFR...
Is this correct?
Thanx...
post #11721 of 11723 Old Yesterday, 05:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilB View Post
After quite a bit of work I managed to get what looked like a very good calibration, with average dE of 0.25 and luminance curve which matches the target EOTF. However I see banding in some highlights (sunrises in blue skies for example) on some HDR10 demo material so I'm concerned that I've done something wrong.
How does the EOTF look before you made the adjustments? As a rule the adjustments shouldn't be too drastic, to avoid banding.
post #11722 of 11723 Old Yesterday, 06:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 334 Post(s)
Liked: 248
Quote:
Originally Posted by RioBar4U View Post
I read in german HiFi Forum, that the Spider X is supported by HCFR...
Is this correct?
Thanx...
Not as far as I know. HCFR needs recompiling with the latest ArgyllCMS instlib code to support the SpyderX, and this hasn't been done...

Author of ArgyllCMS and ArgyllPRO ColorMeter
post #11723 of 11723 Old Today, 12:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
How does the EOTF look before you made the adjustments? As a rule the adjustments shouldn't be too drastic, to avoid banding.
Unfortunately I didn't capture the EOTF before calibrating HDR10. Calibrating with patterns graded for 4000 nit MaxCLL seems to have solved my banding issue even thought the content which displayed the bands was graded at 1000 nit MaxCLL. I saw the banding on this Samsung demo when calibrating with 1000 nit MaxCLL, but not when calibrated to 4000 nit MaxCLL.

For the 4000 nit MaxCLL I had to enable ST.2039 as the 85% grey saturation couldn't match the EOTF curve without it.

-phil

Life's a party, let's get out and strut.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Display Calibration

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page