HCFR - Open source projector and display calibration software - Page 420 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1490Likes

post #12571 of 12599 Old 05-22-2020, 06:16 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominic Chan View Post
Read the third post up from yours, 12566.
Ya, I tried that earlier, but the results seems like they were so far off that I must have been doing something wrong, which is why I was attempting to do the simultaneous measurements. When I got the error, I assumed maybe there was something setup incorrectly by me and that's why my first attempt (at following the 10-step guide above) gave such crazy results.

Do you know what I should select under the Advanced -- Preferences -- References? I have Ted's lightspace files loaded up on my media server and way planning to use the Emby app on my Samsung to play the different calibration files. I've selected the "Meter Profiling (100%) Calman" to test the primary colors, but I'm not sure what color checker patterns to select at the bottom of the Advanced -- Preferences -- References (or if that even makes a difference at all).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12572 of 12599 Old 05-22-2020, 07:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 187 Post(s)
Quoted: 6161 Post(s)
Liked: 2571
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaluza-k View Post
Ya, I tried that earlier, but the results seems like they were so far off that I must have been doing something wrong, which is why I was attempting to do the simultaneous measurements. When I got the error, I assumed maybe there was something setup incorrectly by me and that's why my first attempt (at following the 10-step guide above) gave such crazy results.
There are no differences between the two approaches, other than one reads the two meters concurrently, while the other reads them sequentially. In both cases one document must be marked as Reference.

I'm not sure what you mean by "so far off". After profiling the i1D3 and the i1Pro2 should return essentially identical readings.

Quote:
Do you know what I should select under the Advanced -- Preferences -- References? I have Ted's lightspace files loaded up on my media server and way planning to use the Emby app on my Samsung to play the different calibration files. I've selected the "Meter Profiling (100%) Calman" to test the primary colors, but I'm not sure what color checker patterns to select at the bottom of the Advanced -- Preferences -- References (or if that even makes a difference at all).
It's best to use the same References as the colour space you want to measure (Rec709 or Rec2020/P3). ColorChecker is irrelevant for meter profiling.

JVC DLA-X550R; Denon AVR-X3400H; HD Fury Linker / Vertex 2; ATV4K; Sony UBP-X700
JVC Curves; Optimizing HDR;
Creating a basic HDR curve using Arve’s Tool;
Replacing JVC Bare Bulbs

Last edited by Dominic Chan; 05-22-2020 at 08:02 PM.
post #12573 of 12599 Old 05-23-2020, 06:47 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 323 Post(s)
Liked: 103
Dominic, I am using another HCFR method, that is the meter correction build using simultaneous measures.
1- Start a new doc with the i1Pro2 as reference + run a white tile calibration.
2- Start a new doc with the i1d3

With the i1Pro2 and the i1d3 being next to each other to simultaneously read the same colour patch, go to the Advanced Tab, Meter correction file, Build correction file using simultaneous measures option.

Question : is that any different from the procedure you are quoting above ?

EDIT: for both docs I use the HCFR internal generator.

Last edited by jj-34; 05-23-2020 at 06:58 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12574 of 12599 Old 05-23-2020, 07:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jj-34 View Post
Dominic, I am using another HCFR method, that is the meter correction build using simultaneous measures.
1- Start a new doc with the i1Pro2 as reference + run a white tile calibration.
2- Start a new doc with the i1d3

With the i1Pro2 and the i1d3 being next to each other to simultaneously read the same colour patch, go to the Advanced Tab, Meter correction file, Build correction file using simultaneous measures option.

Question : is that any different from the procedure you are quoting above ?

EDIT: for both docs I use the HCFR internal generator.
It just combines two steps into one (reading patches and building correction file).

JVC DLA-X550R; Denon AVR-X3400H; HD Fury Linker / Vertex 2; ATV4K; Sony UBP-X700
Replacing JVC Bare Bulbs
post #12575 of 12599 Old 05-23-2020, 08:27 AM

Quote:
It just combines two steps into one (reading patches and building correction file).
OK, That's easy enough for me then
post #12576 of 12599 Old 05-24-2020, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Newbie question here. I'm just getting familiar with calibration and I'm trying to create a correction matrix for my i1d3 with my eye one pro 2. I read somewhere on here that using the Advanced -- Meter Correction File -- Build Using Simultaneous Measure was the best way to do this. Whenever I try to do that I get the following error: "To create a correction file, you must define a reference document using a reference colorimeter. Operation Cancelled."

Any idea how to fix this error?

Thanks
In case you haven't done it yet, in the first doc you create with the i1Pro2 sensor you must check the "reference" case in the top right "parameters" zone.
post #12577 of 12599 Old 05-30-2020, 09:02 AM

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 23
I have an i1 Display Pro colorimeter and I can not get HCFR to recognize it anymore. I've used it before but now it's refusing to and I get "Argyll Error. Starting communications with the meter failed."

Everything I've read says that the i1 Display Pro doesn't even use Argyll and I never downloaded any drivers for the colorimeter.

In the past I had to change the USB port it was connected to multiple times for it to finally work, but now even that isn't helping.

Please someone help me figure this out.

sspears:
(Rules? Rules? In Television???? Thou shalt not oversaturateth red. RGB shall be thy rod and thy staff; there shall be no other color space before thee.)
post #12578 of 12599 Old 05-30-2020, 11:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1462 Post(s)
Liked: 1545
Quote:
Originally Posted by kamui View Post
I have an i1 Display Pro colorimeter and I can not get HCFR to recognize it anymore. I've used it before but now it's refusing to and I get "Argyll Error. Starting communications with the meter failed."

Everything I've read says that the i1 Display Pro doesn't even use Argyll and I never downloaded any drivers for the colorimeter.

In the past I had to change the USB port it was connected to multiple times for it to finally work, but now even that isn't helping.

Please someone help me figure this out.
If you haven't tried it already, plug in the meter without any calibration software running. Windows should load the "HID" (Human Interface Device) driver upon seeing it. If it doesn't, the probe itself may be bad, or the USB port it's connected to.
Also, if it's a Retail meter and you've ever loaded the factory X-Rite Profiler software, the XRite Services Manager may be running. This will interfere with some third-party software's ability to control the meter. Go to Start Menu > Windows Administrative Tools > Component Services > (Local) Services. It'll be at or near the bottom of the list. Click on it and select Stop if it's running.

...Royce...

"I never drink...wine."
Bela Lugosi, DRACULA, 1931
post #12579 of 12599 Old 05-30-2020, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolls-Royce View Post
If you haven't tried it already, plug in the meter without any calibration software running. Windows should load the "HID" (Human Interface Device) driver upon seeing it. If it doesn't, the probe itself may be bad, or the USB port it's connected to.
Also, if it's a Retail meter and you've ever loaded the factory X-Rite Profiler software, the XRite Services Manager may be running. This will interfere with some third-party software's ability to control the meter. Go to Start Menu > Windows Administrative Tools > Component Services > (Local) Services. It'll be at or near the bottom of the list. Click on it and select Stop if it's running.
Windows recognizes the device with no issues and auto loads the HID driver(s). It shows up in devices as "i1Display3" and Windows seems to have no issues.

I've never used X-Rite's software, but I checked where you said anyhow and it doesn't show there, so that's not a problem.

Also, I've previously used DisplayCal with the same meter and NEVER had any issues which is why I believe it's a problem with HCFR. Further advice? and thank you.

sspears:
(Rules? Rules? In Television???? Thou shalt not oversaturateth red. RGB shall be thy rod and thy staff; there shall be no other color space before thee.)
post #12580 of 12599 Old 05-30-2020, 12:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Windows recognizes the device with no issues and auto loads the HID driver(s). It shows up in devices as "i1Display3" and Windows seems to have no issues.

I've never used X-Rite's software, but I checked where you said anyhow and it doesn't show there, so that's not a problem.

Also, I've previously used DisplayCal with the same meter and NEVER had any issues which is why I believe it's a problem with HCFR. Further advice? and thank you.
Have you tried deleting the HCFR ini file, or re-installing the software?

Replacing JVC Bare Bulbs
post #12581 of 12599 Old 05-30-2020, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Have you tried deleting the HCFR ini file, or re-installing the software?
I uninstalled HCFR using RevoUninstaller and then reinstalled it but didn't manually delete the HCFR ini file. How would I find that? (Although I'm pretty sure Revo deletes everything tagged to a program)

sspears:
post #12582 of 12599 Old 05-30-2020, 12:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I uninstalled HCFR using RevoUninstaller and then reinstalled it but didn't manually delete the HCFR ini file. How would I find that? (Although I'm pretty sure Revo deletes everything tagged to a program)
It’s in the HCFR installation folder.

Replacing JVC Bare Bulbs
post #12583 of 12599 Old 05-30-2020, 12:17 PM

Quote:
It’s in the HCFR installation folder.
Ah! In that case then no, that does not fix the error either.

sspears:
post #12584 of 12599 Old 05-30-2020, 12:29 PM

I've attached a couple screenshots of my system that I'm hoping may help
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2.png
Views:	37
Size:	133.4 KB
ID:	2734686   Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled.png
Views:	41
Size:	111.5 KB
ID:	2734688  

sspears:
post #12585 of 12599 Old 05-31-2020, 06:56 AM

HCFR is based on ArgyllCMS and uses the Argyll USB drivers, make sure you have the latest Argyll drivers, attached is what you should have to use the i1d3 sensor.

Also if you are using Windows 10 release 1903 or the latest 1909 or maybe even the one before ( not sure about that ), Windows now accepts only signed drivers, and the Argyll ones are not signed, therefore to install them you must temporarily disable Win 10's driver signature enforcement ( You can use Method 1 as shown below, it will be on again after next Win restart.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	i1d3 pilote.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	231.1 KB
ID:	2735066  
post #12586 of 12599 Old 05-31-2020, 07:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jj-34 View Post
HCFR is based on ArgyllCMS and uses the Argyll USB drivers, make sure you have the latest Argyll drivers, attached is what you should have to use the i1d3 sensor.

Also if you are using Windows 10 release 1903 or the latest 1909 or maybe even the one before ( not sure about that ), Windows now accepts only signed drivers, and the Argyll ones are not signed, therefore to install them you must temporarily disable Win 10's driver signature enforcement ( You can use Method 1 as shown below, it will be on again after next Win restart.
That is true in general but I never used the ArgyllCMS drivers for the i1Display Pro, which is supported natively by Windows as a Human Interface Device.

Replacing JVC Bare Bulbs
post #12587 of 12599 Old 05-31-2020, 07:20 AM

Quote:
That is true in general but I never used the ArgyllCMS drivers for the i1Display Pro, which is supported natively by Windows as a Human Interface Device.
This is exactly what I've heard about the Display Pro as well. Apparently for like the i1D2 and earlier and some other ones, they do need the Argyll drivers, but the i1Display3 (Pro) says it does not, hence my confusion on why HCFR is showing this dialog to me in the first place.

sspears:
post #12588 of 12599 Old 05-31-2020, 07:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
This is exactly what I've heard about the Display Pro as well. Apparently for like the i1D2 and earlier and some other ones, they do need the Argyll drivers, but the i1Display3 (Pro) says it does not, hence my confusion on why HCFR is showing this dialog to me in the first place.
If it’s a mismatched driver HCFR will normally not even show the meter as a selection.

Are there any other apps that are running and may be using it at the same time as HCFR? Does it still work with DisplayCAL?

If no luck, you can still try the ArgyllCMS driver and see if that works.
Brian Hampton likes this.

Replacing JVC Bare Bulbs

Last edited by Dominic Chan; 05-31-2020 at 08:04 AM.
post #12589 of 12599 Old 05-31-2020, 07:34 AM

Quote:
If it’s a mismatched driver HCFR will normally not even show the meter as a selection.

Are there any other apps that are running and may be using it at the same time as HCFR? Does it still work with DisplayCAL?

If no luck, you can still try the ArgyllCMS driver and is if that works.
I only use HCFR because it's the best in my personal opinion but I'm going to try to re-download DisplayCal just to test if the meter works there.

I have no other programs / software that use or recognize the Display Pro and this is a fairly fresh Windows install too, so it's not something residual either. I'll report on the DisplayCal in a little bit.

sspears:
post #12590 of 12599 Old 05-31-2020, 07:39 AM

Okay, so DisplayCal works perfectly and recognizes the meter instantly without any issue. It downloaded Argyll CMS as it said it had to do that to work.

I tried HCFR again after closing DisplayCal and got the same error.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Untitled.png
Views:	14
Size:	116.2 KB
ID:	2735070  

sspears:
post #12591 of 12599 Old 05-31-2020, 07:59 AM

Okay. I manually updated the drivers of the i1Display Pro to the Argyll ones that DisplayCal downloaded and it works now.

I have no idea why it's basically telling me I need the Argyll drivers, but am happy to report I can use HCFR again.

Thank you everyone for your help!

sspears:
post #12592 of 12599 Old 05-31-2020, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Correct, I did not know that, I just tested it on my PC, uninstalled the Argyll driver, replugged the i1d3 and up it came as an HID device, then tested both HCFR and DisplayCal, they both recognized the i1d3 and do work well.
I guess I'll leave it like that now ....

Only drawback with Window is that the i1d3 is now difficult to spot within all the other HID devices, I had to look into the detailed properties to determine which one it is ...... was much easier when using the Argyll drivers
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	i1D3 HID.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	123.2 KB
ID:	2735108  
post #12593 of 12599 Old 05-31-2020, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Okay. I manually updated the drivers of the i1Display Pro to the Argyll ones that DisplayCal downloaded and it works now.

I have no idea why it's basically telling me I need the Argyll drivers, but am happy to report I can use HCFR again.

Thank you everyone for your help!
A bit strange all that, as in my case ( noted above ) I just did the opposite going from Argyll drivers to Windows HID ones and it still works ....

BUT ( in capital letters ! ) even so I uninstalled the Argyll i1d3 DEVICE, the argyll drivers are still there somewhere and known to the system ( they still are shown in the device manager's drivers list) , maybe that explains that ?
post #12594 of 12599 Old 05-31-2020, 10:06 PM

Newbie question here (I got my devices profiled and working--thank you). I'm trying to calibrate my wife's Samsung Frame TV. I've turned off all ECO features and auto/dynamic features as well. I'm using Movie mode with Warm2, 1886 gamma. Here's the weird thing. I've calibrated my Samsung so that if I run a 21-step grey scale measurement out of HCFR (using Raspberry Pi) I get a reference Y-value at 100% white (120cd/2). The weird thing is if I do a unique measurement (F7) of 100% white I get a Y-value returned for 100 cd/2. If I pull up Ted's 100% white image and do a unique measurement from his files played on a USB stick, I get 120cd/2. I'd love to be able to use HCFR through my Raspberry PI to display all my measurements, but whenever I do "Spot" measurements to try and fine-tune the Y-value is always much lower.

Does anyone know if this is a known issue with either HCFR or Samsung or both? A few Google searches makes me think something like "Auto dimming" is causing the problem, but I'm not sure.
post #12595 of 12599 Old Yesterday, 03:23 AM

Quote:
...I get a reference Y-value at 100% white (120cd/2). The weird thing is if I do a unique measurement (F7) of 100% white I get a Y-value returned for 100 cd/2. If I pull up Ted's 100% white image and do a unique measurement from his files played on a USB stick, I get 120cd/2..
Are the size of the image patterns different between tests? It could be that the display is "auto dimming" the image when a full screen 100% white pattern is displayed and you may need to use a window instead (ie. 10% window for all tests).

sspears:
post #12596 of 12599 Old Yesterday, 05:52 AM

Quote:
Are the size of the image patterns different between tests? It could be that the display is "auto dimming" the image when a full screen 100% white pattern is displayed and you may need to use a window instead (ie. 10% window for all tests).
Image patterns are the same (10%) across all tests.
post #12597 of 12599 Old Today, 08:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1597 Post(s)
Liked: 1046
I want to calibrate my projector which is on it's 3rd bulb.

I use HCFR, i1Pro Spectro Rev D and i1d3.

It's a Sony VW285ES.

I was having my Panasonic UB420 output SDR/BT2020 instead of HDR because I know how to calibrate SDR. And calibrating this particular projector to SDR is a snap. Last time I tried to calibrate HDR I found it too confusing.

Recently though I do believe HDR looks better even though this is a projector with relatively low dynamic range compared to direct view displays. I still tell the Panasonic that I'm using a projector as my display type so maybe it does a good tone mapping.

I guess I'll try to calibrate Both SDR and HDR and see what I like better.

-Brian
post #12598 of 12599 Old Today, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Hampton View Post
I want to calibrate my projector which is on it's 3rd bulb.

I use HCFR, i1Pro Spectro Rev D and i1d3.

It's a Sony VW285ES.

I was having my Panasonic UB420 output SDR/BT2020 instead of HDR because I know how to calibrate SDR. And calibrating this particular projector to SDR is a snap. Last time I tried to calibrate HDR I found it too confusing.

Recently though I do believe HDR looks better even though this is a projector with relatively low dynamic range compared to direct view displays. I still tell the Panasonic that I'm using a projector as my display type so maybe it does a good tone mapping.

I guess I'll try to calibrate Both SDR and HDR and see what I like better.

-Brian
Is there a question here or something you want help with?
post #12599 of 12599 Old Today, 10:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1597 Post(s)
Liked: 1046
Red face

Sorry ... not really... just stating my status of sorts.... (rambling senior moment)

I think I'm going to do like I said and calibrate SDR/709 and SDR/BT2020 and try to approach the HDR calibration.

The more I read about HDR the more I think with my particular projector I should have my player output SDR/BD2020 instead.

I'm thrilled to have Jaws UHD BD and think I should attempt some sort of calibration to make sure I"m seeing it with my system at it's best.

Edit - As long as I'm already rambling - I nailed the greyscale with 2 clicks from default and the gamma and gamut are still mysteries to me in HDR so I gave up. Pic still is beautiful so it's ok.

-Brian

Last edited by Brian Hampton; Today at 02:11 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Display Calibration

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page