CalMan 5 Release Notes and Discussion - Page 197 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1951Likes

post #5881 of 7029 Old 03-21-2019, 09:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 207 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3245 Post(s)
Liked: 4040
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manni01 View Post
I was in the beta testing for V5 and I think the C6 was free then. I got the i1pro2 at half price.

Ah the good old days!

Of course I could be misremembering. I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong.
Yes, the closed group of Alpha testing user of CalMAN 5 (including myself) offered a free C6 for the help.

But I had already pre-ordered C6 Limited Edition, 3-4 months before its been released, also I had already i1PRO2 (2 months before its been supported by CalMAN), so I took 2 annual fees for free.
hrc4u and Manni01 like this.

Ted's LightSpace CMS Calibration Disk Free Version for Free Calibration Software: LightSpace DPS / CalMAN ColorChecker / HCFR
S/W: LightSpace CMS, SpaceMan ICC, SpaceMatch DCM, CalMAN 5, CalMAN RGB, ChromaPure, ControlCAL
V/P: eeColor 3D LUT Box - P/G: DVDO AVLab TPG
Meters: JETI Specbos 1211, Klein K-10A, i1PRO2, i1PRO, SpectraCAL C6, i1D3, C5
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5882 of 7029 Old 03-21-2019, 09:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by beardontwalk123 View Post
So I have an i1 Display Pro (newer one) and a P Series Quantum and am trying to figure out which meter profile to use. I don't see anything about having a Quantum filter. Would I just use LCD LED or Raw?
Hi, the i1Display PRO is not coming with any table for a Quantum Dot display type. There no correct answer what to select, since for LCD LED EDR table X-Rite used for spectral samples some HP/SOYO PC monitors from 2011.

The RAW XYZ mode is the default factory calibration, looks safer idea, but to improve your color accuracy, you will need to profile your colorimeter using a spectro (hire a pro to perform it or rent/buy i1PRO2 for example, if possible), performing a four-color-matrix correction procedure, you will improve your color measurements. A lot of details are available here.

Ted's LightSpace CMS Calibration Disk Free Version for Free Calibration Software: LightSpace DPS / CalMAN ColorChecker / HCFR
S/W: LightSpace CMS, SpaceMan ICC, SpaceMatch DCM, CalMAN 5, CalMAN RGB, ChromaPure, ControlCAL
post #5883 of 7029 Old 03-21-2019, 10:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnaik4 View Post
hi guys, i recently purchased Calman 5 and been trying to do 3DLUT to use with madvr tone mapping.
i m using it to calibrate my BenQ LK970 laser projector.
i tried running couple of REC709 lightning LUT and the result was good but i noticed the 100% saturation points were way off after validating , around 10+DE for each color while the inner points were mostly less than 2-3DE. So i decided to try and run more patches (80min run) but i m getting very visible posterization on bright highlights, whenever i rerun lightning LUT it looks normal but with longer pacthes and same settings this problem comes back.
not sure if its my meter ( spyder 5) , any help would be appreciated.
I don't want to disappoint you, generally, the Spyder is not a good colorimeter to invest as calibration measurement instrument.

Even brand new Spyder's can be totally out of spec, see there why: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/139-d...l#post56269238

Spyder 5's have very random performance, for that reason they are not meters which are recommended by any calibration software.

Because Spyder don't have so good low light capability, when you will measure a projector, which the nature of measurements will be lower in nits compared to a direct-view display (since you target 48-60 nits for projectors and SDR while you aim 100-120 nits with displays), 3D LUT will take a lot of low luminance readings, so that fact is increasing the problem to the low end accuracy.

But this fact is not related 100% with the problem you see, since your issues are located to brighter side of measurements with high luminance/saturation levels of colors.

See what delay you have set, before each meter read, in case that detail will introduce out-of-sync measurements, use at least 0.5 sec to be sure (or more).

You can locate and upload your latest 3D LUT file here (as attachment, you can zip it since it will be large file, or upload a direct download link using wetransfer.com for example).

CalMAN stores all 3D LUT files to C:\Users\your_user_name\Documents\SpectraCal\CalMA N 5 for xxxxxx\LUTs folder.

The 3D LUT file which CalMAN is generating (according to madVR PDF guide) it will be the latest you have with *.TXT extension.

When you will upload that file, I will be able to tell you an opinion about the generated 3D LUT file you are using.

Quote:
Does no one really have the same issue i have or this thread is not active anymore.
Ted any ideas of what should i do?
If you are waiting any software support there, the priority here is to answer questions to people who want to buy CalMAN, not those who already have it

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5884 of 7029 Old 03-21-2019, 12:04 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I have the current version of Home Enthusiast. I sent a request to Calman for the design mode add-on that I thought is provided to Enthusiast users. Below is the response from PD tech support.

Thank you for your e-mail.

Design Mode is currently only available with CalMAN Ultimate.

Please let me know if I can offer any other assistance.

Thank you!

--
Joe Bosslet
Technical Sales Representative
Portrait Displays, Inc.
123 2nd Ave S.
Edmonds, WA 98020

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
post #5885 of 7029 Old 03-21-2019, 12:41 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldstern View Post
I have the current version of Home Enthusiast. I sent a request to Calman for the design mode add-on that I thought is provided to Enthusiast users. Below is the response from PD tech support.

Please let me know if I can offer any other assistance.

Thank you!

post #5886 of 7029 Old 03-21-2019, 02:15 PM

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 411 Post(s)
Liked: 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConnecTEDDD View Post
I don't want to disappoint you, generally, the Spyder is not a good colorimeter to invest as calibration measurement instrument.

Even brand new Spyder's can be totally out of spec, see there why: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/139-d...l#post56269238

Spyder 5's have very random performance, for that reason they are not meters which are recommended by any calibration software.

Because Spyder don't have so good low light capability, when you will measure a projector, which the nature of measurements will be lower in nits compared to a direct-view display (since you target 48-60 nits for projectors and SDR while you aim 100-120 nits with displays), 3D LUT will take a lot of low luminance readings, so that fact is increasing the problem to the low end accuracy.

But this fact is not related 100% with the problem you see, since your issues are located to brighter side of measurements with high luminance/saturation levels of colors.

See what delay you have set, before each meter read, in case that detail will introduce out-of-sync measurements, use at least 0.5 sec to be sure (or more).

You can locate and upload your latest 3D LUT file here (as attachment, you can zip it since it will be large file, or upload a direct download link using wetransfer.com for example).

CalMAN stores all 3D LUT files to C:\Users\your_user_name\Documents\SpectraCal\CalMA N 5 for xxxxxx\LUTs folder.

The 3D LUT file which CalMAN is generating (according to madVR PDF guide) it will be the latest you have with *.TXT extension.

When you will upload that file, I will be able to tell you an opinion about the generated 3D LUT file you are using.

If you are waiting any software support there, the priority here is to answer questions to people who want to buy CalMAN, not those who already have it
thanks a lot Tedd for ur detailed reply, i know the spyder is not the best and that is why i have a C6 2000 HDR on the way, but trying to find out the problem before it arrives.
here's a dropbox link to the txt file u requested, this should be from a 2000 patch 3dlut session.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/5th8wrf0s3...81440.txt?dl=0

if the display cant hit 100% rec709, would choosing 6000 patches calibration be a bad idea and causing this issue ?

Thank you tedd

JVC DLA X590/RS440
BenQ LK970
post #5887 of 7029 Old 03-21-2019, 03:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Hi, send email to CalMAN support and link that post:

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/139-d...l#post57014156
poppagene likes this.

post #5888 of 7029 Old 03-21-2019, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Hi, send email to CalMAN support and link that post:

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/139-d...l#post57014156

Thanks Ted. The link you provided doesn’t seem to relate to the design mode add-on??

post #5889 of 7029 Old 03-21-2019, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Thanks Ted. The link you provided doesn’t seem to relate to the design mode add-on??

Sorry Ted. I found the relevant info from your link. They may have changed their policy with regard to design mode and Enthusiast.

post #5890 of 7029 Old 03-22-2019, 02:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Quote:
Sorry Ted. I found the relevant info from your link. They may have changed their policy with regard to design mode and Enthusiast.
People in sales don't know that detail, confirm with Tyler if its true for new policies or not.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/139-d...l#post54210521

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/139-d...l#post54208801

It's not cool, some CalMAN Enthusiast users to have design mode and some others no.

It will not be available to CalMAN 2019 Home for sure, we have to see if at least will be able to open (not edit) custom workflows ex-CalMAN Enthusiast users had design for their calibrations.
hrc4u likes this.

post #5891 of 7029 Old 03-22-2019, 08:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1024 Post(s)
Liked: 632
^^^ What Ted said. I don't see what PD has to gain (other than a bad name) by changing their policy on design for HT Enthusiast, since they don't offer it anymore. What the sales guy said is technically true, but only because they no longer offer HTE.

---------------------------------------
Samsung 75Q9FN, OPPO UDP-205, Radiance 2143
Win 10 Pro x64 1903
HT Enthusiast Extended Custom WF v19.3.0 - 7/5/2019
HT Enthusiast Essentials Custom WF v1.2.0 - 7/5/2019
post #5892 of 7029 Old 03-22-2019, 08:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherDude View Post
^^^ What Ted said. I don't see what PD has to gain (other than a bad name) by changing their policy on design for HT Enthusiast, since they don't offer it anymore. What the sales guy said is technically true, but only because they no longer offer HTE.
Capability to open-only-custom-workflows it will be always welcome from CalMAN Home 2019. (not to create or edit)

post #5893 of 7029 Old 03-22-2019, 08:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Capability to open-only-custom-workflows it will be always welcome from CalMAN Home 2019. (not to create or edit)
Good news!

Win 10 Pro x64 1903
post #5894 of 7029 Old 03-22-2019, 08:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherDude View Post
Good news!
I wish to have that reature, I know that it will never happen... sadly

post #5895 of 7029 Old 03-22-2019, 09:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I wish to have that reature, I know that it will never happen... sadly
Ahhh, you were hoping they'd give it, not announcing it. Sad news .

Win 10 Pro x64 1903
post #5896 of 7029 Old 03-22-2019, 11:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
thanks a lot Tedd for ur detailed reply, i know the spyder is not the best and that is why i have a C6 2000 HDR on the way, but trying to find out the problem before it arrives.
here's a dropbox link to the txt file u requested, this should be from a 2000 patch 3dlut session.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/5th8wrf0s3...81440.txt?dl=0

if the display cant hit 100% rec709, would choosing 6000 patches calibration be a bad idea and causing this issue ?

Thank you tedd
Hi, I took a look of your 3D LUT file, generated from CalMAN.

Since CalMAN don't have any tool to examine any 3D LUT data file, the only way of verification is measurements of grayscale/saturation/colorchecker etc.. measurement or checking visually some color reproduction patterns or real content.

For that reason I used LightSpace where it has 3 tools to examine 3D LUT files. (for not entering to more details about these tools, you can see about 3D LUT Viewer, LUT Preview and 1D LUT Viewer details to older posts)

The data are not looking good, the cube shape has many problems to various areas, its completely useless LUT generation, while the same time the 1D LUT viewer looking good (except the usual unnecessary luminance drop (top right), explained again there), I mean there no issues in low end (bottom left), means that you didn't had such meter errors in low end. (see 1D LUT picture there, because has large size for posting it here)

Generally CalMAN can produce better results when you are using less points, as user feedback has shown over the years if you are watching this thread... It's better to use up to 3500 or less (not sure if it will measure 3500 different, but if you enable full logging and open the data files and check you will see if its measured 2-3 times the same patch).

Its not normal with less points to produce better results but its the up to capabilities of the software.

The problems you experience are easily noticed when I used LUT Preview, it will be the same issues as you see to your projector (the following files are animated APNG files, they will swap your LUT ON/OFF per 1 sec....if you don't see animation try other browser which support APNG files):

Try again using a picture or gamut mode which will provide larger gamut coverage before starting the measurements (use Saturation sweeps to find out) and increase delay before each meter read.

All parametric adjustments of a display should be ignored (any CMS, and parametric Grayscale etc.) , calibration controls should be used as minimum as possible.

For preparation (pre-calibration steps) for 3D LUT display characterization, you need to select the most accurate colortemp mode (less RGB balance errors), select a gamma preset that is close to your target gamma (you can use Grayscale, measurements to find out/compare how each preset performs), select your native display gamut setting (you can use Saturation sweep measurements to see which is the largest gamut setting), do contrast/brightness using some patterns and then pre-cal only your 100% White RGB balance with RGB-Gains controls while you will adjust to your target Luminance using your lens aperture (if you have that control, or contrast if you don't have lens adjustments.)
tnaik4 likes this.

post #5897 of 7029 Old 03-22-2019, 11:53 AM
aka jfinnie

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 2639 Post(s)
Liked: 1737
Quote:
hi guys, i recently purchased Calman 5 and been trying to do 3DLUT to use with madvr tone mapping.
i m using it to calibrate my BenQ LK970 laser projector.
i tried running couple of REC709 lightning LUT and the result was good but i noticed the 100% saturation points were way off after validating , around 10+DE for each color while the inner points were mostly less than 2-3DE. So i decided to try and run more patches (80min run) but i m getting very visible posterization on bright highlights, whenever i rerun lightning LUT it looks normal but with longer pacthes and same settings this problem comes back.
not sure if its my meter ( spyder 5) , any help would be appreciated.
Make sure you don't have any dynamic laser dimming function enabled. That will be pretty much guaranteed to cause some kind of issues.
The other thing that is interesting about the BENQ is that it is RGBY colour wheel, so there is yellow mixing happening as well as red/green/blue. BENQ do this for brightness. This might be problematic.

No experience with your projector, but they are good things to check.
tnaik4 likes this.
post #5898 of 7029 Old 03-22-2019, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Hi, I took a look of your 3D LUT file, generated from CalMAN.

Since CalMAN don't have any tool to examine any 3D LUT data file, the only way of verification is measurements of grayscale/saturation/colorchecker etc.. measurement or checking visually some color reproduction patterns or real content.

For that reason I used LightSpace where it has 3 tools to examine 3D LUT files. (for not entering to more details about these tools, you can see about 3D LUT Viewer, LUT Preview and 1D LUT Viewer details to older posts)

The data are not looking good, the cube shape has many problems to various areas, its completely useless LUT generation, while the same time the 1D LUT viewer looking good (except the usual unnecessary luminance drop (top right), explained again there), I mean there no issues in low end (bottom left), means that you didn't had such meter errors in low end. (see 1D LUT picture there, because has large size for posting it here)

Generally CalMAN can produce better results when you are using less points, as user feedback has shown over the years if you are watching this thread... It's better to use up to 3500 or less (not sure if it will measure 3500 different, but if you enable full logging and open the data files and check you will see if its measured 2-3 times the same patch).

Its not normal with less points to produce better results but its the up to capabilities of the software.

The problems you experience are easily noticed when I used LUT Preview, it will be the same issues as you see to your projector (the following files are animated APNG files, they will swap your LUT ON/OFF per 1 sec....if you don't see animation try other browser which support APNG files):

Try again using a picture or gamut mode which will provide larger gamut coverage before starting the measurements (use Saturation sweeps to find out) and increase delay before each meter read.

All parametric adjustments of a display should be ignored (any CMS, and parametric Grayscale etc.) , calibration controls should be used as minimum as possible.

For preparation (pre-calibration steps) for 3D LUT display characterization, you need to select the most accurate colortemp mode (less RGB balance errors), select a gamma preset that is close to your target gamma (you can use Grayscale, measurements to find out/compare how each preset performs), select your native display gamut setting (you can use Saturation sweep measurements to see which is the largest gamut setting), do contrast/brightness using some patterns and then pre-cal only your 100% White RGB balance with RGB-Gains controls while you will adjust to your target Luminance using your lens aperture (if you have that control, or contrast if you don't have lens adjustments.)
thanks a lot tedd.

This is exactly what i am seeing, when i use Lightning LUT the results have no such issues, i will try all ur suggestions tonight with a big patch session and will report back my findings, i m not worried about accuracy at the moment since i m not sure if my meter is accurate anyway but i m trying to eliminate the posterization that is happening

JVC DLA X590/RS440
BenQ LK970
post #5899 of 7029 Old 03-22-2019, 02:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
thanks a lot tedd.

This is exactly what i am seeing, when i use Lightning LUT the results have no such issues, i will try all ur suggestions tonight with a big patch session and will report back my findings, i m not worried about accuracy at the moment since i m not sure if my meter is accurate anyway but i m trying to eliminate the posterization that is happening
Using Lightning LUT, CalMAN measure 101 patches which are 26-Point Grayscale and 25-Point of Luminance of Red, Green, Blue @ 100% Saturation only, so you have zero volumetric calibration, you just calibrate the 100% Saturation (edge of gamut) but with 25-Point of Luminance levels.

Its rare to have visible problems with such kind of calibration, but it's not a real 3D LUT.
Manni01 and tnaik4 like this.

post #5900 of 7029 Old 03-22-2019, 03:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 326 Post(s)
Quoted: 5430 Post(s)
Liked: 5630
Quote:
Using Lightning LUT, CalMAN measure 101 patches which are 26-Point Grayscale and 25-Point of Luminance of Red, Green, Blue @ 100% Saturation only, so you have zero volumetric calibration, you just calibrate the 100% Saturation (edge of gamut) but with 25-Point of Luminance levels.

Its rare to have visible problems with such kind of calibration, but it's not a real 3D LUT.
It's true it's small, but if the baseline is linear it can produce better results than larger LUTs.

When I get good results under 10 minutes with a Lightning LUT on my JVC projector, I don't get better results using a larger LUT, whether it is with Calman or another software.

However, it is true that if the baseline isn't linear enough, which can happen after a while, such a small LUT isn't enough and you need to start using a larger one.

Who cares if it's a "real 3D LUT" or not, as long as it gives reference results?

Also you have to take into account that projectors drift. With a flat panel, it might makes sense to spend hours creating a large LUT because you do it once and you're done.

With projectors, you have to recalibrate every 200-500 hours due to brightness drop, gamma droop, panel shift, etc. So spending 10minutes instead of spending 2.5 hours (that's the difference with my Discus between 101points and a full 5000 points LUT) is very significant, as you have to do it often and lamps are expensive to replace. Also there isn't much point chasing perfect results because even if you let the projector warm up at least 30 minutes before each calibration / critical viewing session, the calibration always shift in some way from one session to the next. Nothing visible, but enough to make chasing any error lower than 1 dE2000 entirely pointless.

Sure if you have a Klein K10a, you can create 5,000 point LUTs in 30 minutes, but not everyone has such a tool to calibrate.
jrref, omarank and mrtickleuk like this.

Batch Utility V4.02 May 16 2019 to automate measurements files for madVR with support for BD Folders

Last edited by Manni01; 03-22-2019 at 05:43 PM.
post #5901 of 7029 Old 03-22-2019, 04:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 1569 Post(s)
Liked: 906
I have been trying to use the HD Fury and whenever I select it to connect to I get a error source not found and then CalMan software closes. Does anyone know what's happening here? Thanks.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
post #5902 of 7029 Old 03-22-2019, 04:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 1151 Post(s)
Liked: 1244
Quote:
I have been trying to use the HD Fury and whenever I select it to connect to I get a error source not found and then CalMan software closes. Does anyone know what's happening here? Thanks.

CalMAN no longer directly controls the Integral because of an update to the USB driver used in order to accommodate another device (a type of spectro not common here in the US). You can drop back to the USB driver distributed by HDFury by finding SIUSBXp.dll in the Program Files (x86)/Spectracal/Common folder, renaming it, then copying the older HDFury-sourced .dll into that folder. This should restore control over the Integral. The info was from Melissa on the sadly now-closed CalMAN user forum a few months ago, and is good for the original Integral only. All other HDFury products since use different SDKs and cannot be controlled by CalMAN. You can still cut and paste the metadata and AVI strings generated by CalMAN when AVTop Controller software is selected as source (even without that software) into the HDFury GUI...
AVfile likes this.

...Royce...

"I never drink...wine."
Bela Lugosi, DRACULA, 1931

Last edited by Rolls-Royce; 03-22-2019 at 04:33 PM.
post #5903 of 7029 Old 03-22-2019, 04:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

HD Fury Intergral is not working with CalMAN for about 11 months already.

There is a work around if you are using this device.

Download the linked zip and then extract the SiUSBXp.dll file from within it: http://files.spectracal.com/download...Xp_3_9_0_2.zip

Replace the SiUSBXp.dll file in the following folder with the downloaded version. C:\Program Files (x86)\SpectraCal\CalMAN 5 <X>\Common (where X is the specific installer you are using)

And I wish you good luck.
Manni01 likes this.

post #5904 of 7029 Old 03-22-2019, 05:09 PM

Quote:

i have done now a 1500point calibration following ur tips with my old i1d3 and i m still getting the posterization , is it possible that my projector will just give these results or is it something in calman, i can try Displaycal 3dlut to see at least if i get the same issue.
Note that even after the calibration the 100% colors are still way off (10-15de) everything else is spot on, i dont know what i should do to fix it or if its fixable.

JVC DLA X590/RS440
BenQ LK970
post #5905 of 7029 Old 03-22-2019, 05:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 326 Post(s)
Quoted: 5430 Post(s)
Liked: 5630
Quote:
i have done now a 1500point calibration following ur tips with my old i1d3 and i m still getting the posterization , is it possible that my projector will just give these results or is it something in calman, i can try Displaycal 3dlut to see at least if i get the same issue.
Note that even after the calibration the 100% colors are still way off (10-15de) everything else is spot on, i dont know what i should do to fix it or if its fixable.
100% sat or stim?

If sat, are your 100% saturation points undersaturated or oversatured?

If undersaturatred, that's not fixable and it could explain why you are getting posterization with 3D LUTs with some software. Definitely worth trying DisplayCAL.

If oversaturated, it could be corrected. Here there is a bug in Calman at least with madVR with large LUTs where red is oversaturated at 100% sat, but not the other colors.

There is no such bug with the Lightning LUT, which is why I'm using it at the moment.

Batch Utility V4.02 May 16 2019 to automate measurements files for madVR with support for BD Folders
post #5906 of 7029 Old 03-22-2019, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manni01 View Post
100% sat or stim?

If sat, are your 100% saturation points undersaturated or oversatured?

If undersaturatred, that's not fixable and it could explain why you are getting posterization with 3D LUTs with some software. Definitely worth trying DisplayCAL.

If oversaturated, it could be corrected. Here there is a bug in Calman at least with madVR with large LUTs where red is oversaturated at 100% sat, but not the other colors.

There is no such bug with the Lightning LUT, which is why I'm using it at the moment.
default is 75%/75% in calman ,when i try to change the saturation to 100% or 50% it doesnt change anything, odly enough it works with bt2020, but when i change the stimulus its does change, to answer u i actually had 75% stimulus 100% saturation, i m new to calman since i just bought it a week ago so i m not sure if i doing something wrong or if my meters are horrible lol , i m trying as we speak a 1000point on displaycal, if it gives no posterization than something is wrong with calman and that would be a very bad for me since i have a C6 HDR 2000 on the way profiled for calman..

i m using madTPG as source , is it possible to use calman source generator to create 3dlut for madvr or only madTPG ?

thank you.

JVC DLA X590/RS440
BenQ LK970
post #5907 of 7029 Old 03-22-2019, 07:00 PM

I have done a displaycal 3Dlut with 1000points and no posterization, it looks good but seems to overblow some highlights slightly.
So i guess the posterization issue is related to Calman, i have to figure out how to fix it.

JVC DLA X590/RS440
BenQ LK970

Last edited by tnaik4; 03-22-2019 at 07:05 PM.
post #5908 of 7029 Old 03-22-2019, 10:14 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 240 Post(s)
Quoted: 4000 Post(s)
Liked: 3175
Back to the `Should I calibrate all Inputs and USB as well

Here is the complete calibration done on my 65" KS9800 for HDMi 1, 4 and USB/APPs. I'm retired, and I have the time, and I want all my Inputs to be correct.
Note the difference re the USB/APPs SDR - this could have been closer if I had changed the Gamma factor - but I didn't - All done with Gamma at -1.
(HDMI 2 and 3 not really used, although HDMI 3 has the 4K Firestick and that's calibrated using MobileForge - again, different settings)
Attached Files
File Type: txt SamsungKS9800_HDMI_1_4_USB_With_HDR_Mar_23_2019.txt (2.8 KB, 15 views)

UN65KS9800 - Mine
UN65HU9000 + SEK-3500U / UN75JU7100 / UN55HU7250 with SEK-3500U in UJS9000 Mod Mode / UN40J5200AF / HiSense 40H5507 - Wife's
UN55NU8000 X 2 - my 2 kids families (or should I say adults?)

Last edited by p5browne; 03-24-2019 at 02:32 PM.
post #5909 of 7029 Old 03-23-2019, 01:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked: 127
Hello,
I am hoping for additional thoughts. Here is my original post: Note: I still have not attempted a Cal. (I move slowly when in unfamiliar territory)

Hello, new to CalMAN here.
About a year & a half ago I bought a CalMAN Video Pro kit that contained a SpectraCal C6 HDR 2000 meter, a VideoForge Pro Test Pattern Generator (On latest firmware) and a FTDI USB to Serial converter. The CalMAN Pro is at 2018 R2 (5.9.1.76) & my TV is a Samsung 75” Q9FAM on Firmware 1262.0 supporting HDR10+
This will be my first attempt at a calibration, as I was unable to do this before. (I am awaiting cables that I now find I need)
Afew questions:
Will the calibration be global to the TV, or will I have to do it to each of the TV’s inputs? If that is the case, how can the TV’s OTA & streaming inputs be calibrated?
HDMI1 is fed by my Oppo UDP-203 for 4K & all disk service.
HDMI2 is fed from my Integra DHC-30.3 for programing 1080 and below.
Suggestions are appreciated
Thanks for the help

--Carl
post #5910 of 7029 Old 03-23-2019, 04:19 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by calentz View Post
Will the calibration be global to the TV, or will I have to do it to each of the TV’s inputs? If that is the case, how can the TV’s OTA & streaming inputs be calibrated?
You are calibrating the display itself to a target (like BT.709 for instance). Any source that uses the standard you've calibrated to will be displayed properly. For HDR10 you'll need to calibrate specifically for that of course, but can be used with different sources that output HDR10 like your Oppo.

Settings are usually only saved on the used input when the calibration is done, but you can simply copy those settings to your other desired inputs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Display Calibration

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page