CalMan 5 Release Notes and Discussion - Page 207 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1901Likes

post #6181 of 6933 Old 05-02-2019, 01:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked: 124
I just downloaded & installed CalMAN 2019. There appears to be no distinction of the Samsung models?? Before there was 2015, 2017, 2018, Etc. I believe
in CalMan 2018R3 there was Even a Samsung Q900 workflow. Inputting the various listed models made a definite difference.

--Carl

Last edited by calentz; 05-02-2019 at 07:30 AM. Reason: More info
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6182 of 6933 Old 05-02-2019, 05:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 185 Post(s)
Quoted: 4380 Post(s)
Liked: 5371
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJerry View Post
I am running CalMAN 2018 Home Enthusiast. I renewed All Access in Oct 2018, which is good for 12 months. I use CalMAN to run the Autocalibration for a Sony 75Z9F, using a C6 HDR2000 meter, and to perform manual calibrations on a Sony 75X940D. Everything is working without issue.

AFAIK, I would be eligible for upgrading to CalMAN 2019 RC1 with my current All Access. However, reviewing the list of enhancements in 2019 RC1, I don't see anything that I would benefit from, unless there is an enhancement that I am not understanding. So, I am reluctant to attempt an upgrade when I don't perceive any immediate benefit. Can someone help me understand if there is anything in the 2019 RC1 that would convince me to perform an upgrade?
For you probably no difference. There are upgrades for calibrating the LG.
AustinJerry and shoman94 like this.

John
Sony 55A1E, A9F / LG 55OLEDC8
Marantz 7012, Ohm Walsh Speakers
Klein K10-A, Jeti 1501, Murideo Six-G Gen2
Calman Ultimate, ISF Level III Certified
post #6183 of 6933 Old 05-02-2019, 06:43 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 43
@WiFi-Spy , I have a new question, I'm afraid...

On the downloads page, there is a link to download "CalMAN Home Enthusiast 2019". Is this a version that will be made available later in the store for anyone to buy, or is it only for upgrade purposes for those that had Home Enthusiast licenses previously?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6184 of 6933 Old 05-02-2019, 06:51 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 271 Post(s)
Liked: 191
Edit: Found Home Enthusiast 2019 and downloaded. Will advise if it corrects my issue.

I have a current up to date version of Home Theater 2018 installed on my computer. Last night I installed the Sony version of Home. I thus ended up with 2 versions of CalMAN on my computer.

Now when I try to run Home Theater I get the below error message. I have forwarded it to Spectracal but was wondering if anyone else has had this happen? I did not notice (it might have been there) any kind of warning to not install both at the same time.

Any advice as to how to resolve this. I did not see a way to download Home Theater again to reinstall but once again my not have noticed it.

Thanks for any help.

Error Message in question starts below. Not exact but believe it gives you the idea of what is going on:

CalMAN encountered an unrecoverable error.

We'd appreciate it if you submitted the following information to SpectraCal. We do not log your IP Address and the following text is the complete information transmitted.

X Send Exception
Executed CommandLine: "C:\Program Files (x86)\SpectraCal\CalMAN 5 Home Theater\CalMAN App.exe"
Top Level Exception:
-Error Message: Failed to create MainWindowVM. A known cause for this is a corrupt installation.
-Execption Type: System.Exception
-Source Message: CalUI
-Stack Trace:
at CalUI.StatusSplashScreen.InitApplicationCompleted( Object sender, RunWorkerCompletedEventArgs e)
at System.ComponentModel.BackgroundWorker.OnRunWorker Completed(RunWorkerCompletedEventArgs e)
at System.ComponentModel.BackgroundWorker.AsyncOperat ionCompleted(Object arg)
at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.Internal RealCall(Delegate callback, Object args, Int32 numArgs)
at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.TryCatch When(Object source, Delegate callback, Object args, Int32 numArgs, Delegate catchHandler)
CalErr ver: 5.9.2.59

X Send System Information
OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Home|C:\WINDOWS|\Device\Harddisk0\Partition3
OS Version: 10.0.17763
OS Language: English (United States)
CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700K CPU @ 4.00GHz
CPU Count: 4
CPU Speed: 4001Mhz
Total Physical Memory: 31.96 GB
Total Virtual Memory: 63.96 GB
Free Physical Memory: 27.73 GB
Free Virtual Memory: 57.91 GB
CLR Version: 4.0.30319.42000

Spoiler!

Last edited by RetiredandLovingIt; 05-02-2019 at 06:57 AM.
post #6185 of 6933 Old 05-02-2019, 06:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1102 Post(s)
Liked: 1210
Quote:
Originally Posted by stama View Post
@WiFi-Spy , I have a new question, I'm afraid...

On the downloads page, there is a link to download "CalMAN Home Enthusiast 2019". Is this a version that will be made available later in the store for anyone to buy, or is it only for upgrade purposes for those that had Home Enthusiast licenses previously?
If the email we got early this year is any guide, no further licenses (or All Access as of March 31) for Enthusiast are being sold. That download is an update for those who already have current Enthusiast All Access.

...Royce...

"I never drink...wine."
Bela Lugosi, DRACULA, 1931
post #6186 of 6933 Old 05-02-2019, 07:14 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 220 Post(s)
Quoted: 1468 Post(s)
Liked: 2082
CalMan 5 Release Notes and Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredandLovingIt View Post
Edit: Found Home Enthusiast 2019 and downloaded. Will advise if it corrects my issue.

I have a current up to date version of Home Theater 2018 installed on my computer. Last night I installed the Sony version of Home. I thus ended up with 2 versions of CalMAN on my computer.

Now when I try to run Home Theater I get the below error message. I have forwarded it to Spectracal but was wondering if anyone else has had this happen? I did not notice (it might have been there) any kind of warning to not install both at the same time.

Any advice as to how to resolve this. I did not see a way to download Home Theater again to reinstall but once again my not have noticed it.

Thanks for any help.

Error Message in question starts below. Not exact but believe it gives you the idea of what is going on:

CalMAN encountered an unrecoverable error.

We'd appreciate it if you submitted the following information to SpectraCal. We do not log your IP Address and the following text is the complete information transmitted.

X Send Exception
Executed CommandLine: "C:\Program Files (x86)\SpectraCal\CalMAN 5 Home Theater\CalMAN App.exe"
Top Level Exception:
-Error Message: Failed to create MainWindowVM. A known cause for this is a corrupt installation.
-Execption Type: System.Exception
-Source Message: CalUI
-Stack Trace:
at CalUI.StatusSplashScreen.InitApplicationCompleted( Object sender, RunWorkerCompletedEventArgs e)
at System.ComponentModel.BackgroundWorker.OnRunWorker Completed(RunWorkerCompletedEventArgs e)
at System.ComponentModel.BackgroundWorker.AsyncOperat ionCompleted(Object arg)
at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.Internal RealCall(Delegate callback, Object args, Int32 numArgs)
at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.TryCatch When(Object source, Delegate callback, Object args, Int32 numArgs, Delegate catchHandler)
CalErr ver: 5.9.2.59

X Send System Information
OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Home|C:\WINDOWS|\Device\Harddisk0\Partition3
OS Version: 10.0.17763
OS Language: English (United States)
CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700K CPU @ 4.00GHz
CPU Count: 4
CPU Speed: 4001Mhz
Total Physical Memory: 31.96 GB
Total Virtual Memory: 63.96 GB
Free Physical Memory: 27.73 GB
Free Virtual Memory: 57.91 GB
CLR Version: 4.0.30319.42000

You cannot have both versions installed at the same time.

I would suggest uninstalling both And starting over with a clean install of the version you want to use. If your license will not activate please email CalMAN support and we will reset it.

If you need the installer for the home theater version , download the home enthusiast version from the website.

Tyler Pruitt - Technical Evangelist - for CalMAN

10 Bit Gradient Test Patterns (HEVC) - Free Download
post #6187 of 6933 Old 05-02-2019, 07:20 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 271 Post(s)
Liked: 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiFi-Spy View Post
You cannot have both versions installed at the same time.

I would suggest uninstalling both And starting over with a clean install of the version you want to use. If your license will not activate please email CalMAN support and we will reset it.

If you need the installer for the home theater version , download the home enthusiast version from the website.

Thanks much.

Reinstalled installed Home Theater and it started fine. Just need to find my license and password.

Best Regards,

Steve

Edit: Support took very good care of me, and quickly!

Spoiler!

Last edited by RetiredandLovingIt; 05-02-2019 at 08:45 AM.
post #6188 of 6933 Old 05-02-2019, 08:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 985 Post(s)
Liked: 608
Quote:
Originally Posted by calentz View Post
I just downloaded & installed CalMAN 2019. There appears to be no distinction of the Samsung models?? Before there was 2015, 2017, 2018, Etc. I believe
in CalMan 2018R3 there was Even a Samsung Q900 workflow. Inputting the various listed models made a definite difference.
In my Enthusiast XT workflow I get all the same Samsung display choices with Cal 2019 Enthusiast that I had in Cal 2018.

---------------------------------------
Samsung 75Q9FN, OPPO UDP-205
Win 10 Pro x64 1903
HT Enthusiast Extended Custom WF v19.3.0 - 7/5/2019
HT Enthusiast Essentials Custom WF v1.2.0 - 7/5/2019
post #6189 of 6933 Old 05-02-2019, 08:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 985 Post(s)
Liked: 608
While updating my workflows I ran into this:

The datafield Collection Avg De ITP (at least for Grayscale, Gamut Saturation, Gamut Luminance and Color Checker) does not register when selected from the dropdown list. The previously selected datafield selection remains. If it is left as Collection Avg De ITP then CalMAN silently closes when loading that layout.

---------------------------------------
Samsung 75Q9FN, OPPO UDP-205
Win 10 Pro x64 1903
HT Enthusiast Extended Custom WF v19.3.0 - 7/5/2019
HT Enthusiast Essentials Custom WF v1.2.0 - 7/5/2019
post #6190 of 6933 Old 05-02-2019, 09:17 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by calentz View Post

There was never separate workflows but there are separate display generations when you go to connect as a direct display.

post #6191 of 6933 Old 05-02-2019, 10:19 AM

Anyone else having issues buying a Calman Home license? I've just created an account on their store, and when I try to buy the Home version for LG TVs I get a "Gateway error: This transaction has been declined." error.

Never had this happen before.
post #6192 of 6933 Old 05-02-2019, 10:24 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked: 129
Quote:
Anyone else having issues buying a Calman Home license? I've just created an account on their store, and when I try to buy the Home version for LG TVs I get a "Gateway error: This transaction has been declined." error.

Never had this happen before.
Maybe a problem on their end. You should check your text messages and email for something from your credit card company asking if that is a legit charge. I get that on occasion when I buy from odd places for the first time.
stama likes this.
post #6193 of 6933 Old 05-02-2019, 10:31 AM

Nope, no issues on my side. It must be on Portrait Display's end, as the transaction does not seem to reach my bank. Did not get any message, and the money does not seem to have been reserved either. The card is a VISA EUR card, and I did not see the VAT applied to the price to pay... so maybe there's an issue with their pricing code.
post #6194 of 6933 Old 05-02-2019, 10:32 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:
I've just created an account on their store, and when I try to buy the Home version for LG TVs I get a "Gateway error: This transaction has been declined." error.
I had the same thing. That's your credit card company's fraud prevention kicking in. Typically you have to call your credit card company and verify the transaction, then place the order again.
stama likes this.
post #6195 of 6933 Old 05-02-2019, 10:41 AM

Thanks guys, you gave me the hints I needed to find out what was going on.

It was not the fraud protection that was rejecting the payment, it was the online purchase transaction daily limit that I had set to a smaller amount and forgot about it.

Modified it and now everything went fine.
post #6196 of 6933 Old 05-02-2019, 11:11 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 4
I am interested buying the CalMAN Home for LG, however, when I emailed Portrait Display asking what exactly is it included in this (like: luminance level adjustments, Grayscale 1D LUT Auto-Calibration, 3D LUT Color Calibration, gamma adjustment - all as per Tyler Pruitt's YouTube video on how to calibrate LG OLED TV with CalMAN AutoCal), the reply I got back was the following:
CalMAN Home for LG included the below workflows:
WorkflowsHDR Manual Calibration WorkflowSDR Manual Calibration WorkflowMeter Profiling WorkflowMonitor Calibration WorkflowLG Calibration - supports SDR, HDR and Dolby Vision
If you require what you mentioned you would need to look at moving to CalMAN Video Pro.
What exactly does that mean? And, what is included in the AutoCal LG Calibration SDR workflow if these are not?
post #6197 of 6933 Old 05-02-2019, 11:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 185 Post(s)
Quoted: 4380 Post(s)
Liked: 5371
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupsaa View Post
I am interested buying the CalMAN Home for LG, however, when I emailed Portrait Display asking what exactly is it included in this (like: luminance level adjustments, Grayscale 1D LUT Auto-Calibration, 3D LUT Color Calibration, gamma adjustment - all as per Tyler Pruitt's YouTube video on how to calibrate LG OLED TV with CalMAN AutoCal), the reply I got back was the following:
CalMAN Home for LG included the below workflows:
WorkflowsHDR Manual Calibration WorkflowSDR Manual Calibration WorkflowMeter Profiling WorkflowMonitor Calibration WorkflowLG Calibration - supports SDR, HDR and Dolby Vision
If you require what you mentioned you would need to look at moving to CalMAN Video Pro.
What exactly does that mean? And, what is included in the AutoCal LG Calibration SDR workflow if these are not?
I had the same question when I read the release notes as well. It has to have autocal otherwise why would it be specific to LG?

John
Sony 55A1E, A9F / LG 55OLEDC8
Marantz 7012, Ohm Walsh Speakers
Klein K10-A, Jeti 1501, Murideo Six-G Gen2
Calman Ultimate, ISF Level III Certified
post #6198 of 6933 Old 05-02-2019, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrref View Post
I had the same question when I read the release notes as well. It has to have autocal otherwise why would it be specific to LG?
I got back the following reply:

Here is the LG CalMAN Home AutoCal walk through.
"https://calmankb.groovehq.com/help/calman-home-for-lg-walkthrough?version=latest"

This explains the whole process step-by-step. Hope this helps.
post #6199 of 6933 Old 05-02-2019, 12:08 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I got back the following reply:

Here is the LG CalMAN Home AutoCal walk through.

"https://calmankb.groovehq.com/help/calman-home-for-lg-walkthrough?version=latest"

This explains the whole process step-by-step. Hope this helps.

CalMAN Home for LG Has a completely new LG workflow that is separate from the professional versions of CalMAN. It is designed to be easier to use.

post #6200 of 6933 Old 05-02-2019, 12:33 PM

Quote:
CalMAN Home for LG Has a completely new LG workflow that is separate from the professional versions of CalMAN. It is designed to be easier to use.
And do you happen to know what is included in the workflow, and what was cut?

Thanks,

Adrian
post #6201 of 6933 Old 05-02-2019, 12:42 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
And do you happen to know what is included in the workflow, and what was cut?

Thanks,

Adrian

The guide that you posted above has every step in the workflow pictured.

We are working on video tutorials as well.

post #6202 of 6933 Old 05-02-2019, 01:39 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 1
I noticed that the Calman for Bravia app is not displayed in the Google Play Store. Apparently the app only works with Android TV 8. There was an Oreo update until the middle of February, but it has been revoked due to ARC problems and no new version has been released yet. Unfortunately there is nothing about the Android TV compatibility in the Online Store specifications and ou have to find it out by yourself via the workflow manual.
post #6203 of 6933 Old 05-02-2019, 01:50 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennymc.c View Post
I noticed that the Calman for Bravia app is not displayed in the Google Play Store. Apparently the app only works with Android TV 8. There was an Oreo update until the middle of February, but it has been revoked due to ARC problems and no new version has been released yet. Unfortunately there is nothing about the Android TV compatibility in the Online Store specifications and ou have to find it out by yourself via the workflow manual.

Which country are you located in and which TV model do you have?

post #6204 of 6933 Old 05-02-2019, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Which country are you located in and which TV model do you have?
XE90 in Germany. I think the update was only revoked for Europe. Maybe there is already a new firmware available in the US but at least not here.
post #6205 of 6933 Old 05-02-2019, 02:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2204 Post(s)
Liked: 2705
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennymc.c View Post
There is a new release now...if your TV doesn't auto download it go to the Sony website and install it manually via USB.

-Jeff-
Man cave: Sony XBR75Z9D, Marantz SR8012, and OPPO UDP-203
Living room: Sony XBR75X950G, Denon x4500, and Sony UBP-X800M2

Last edited by bluemoon737; 05-02-2019 at 03:51 PM.
post #6206 of 6933 Old 05-02-2019, 02:58 PM

First bug report: if you connect a i1Pro2, and a i1D3, and then start Calman, it will see only one of them. If you click on "Find Meter", it sits on the find meter dialog forever, and you have to manually terminate the program from the Windows Task Manager.

However, if I don't connect anything before starting Calman, I start Calman, then I connect the i1Pro2 let's say and click on Find Meter, it finds it immediately and displays it. Then I connect the i1D3 and click on Find meter, it finds it immediately and displays it. Now I have both meters visible in the Meters list.

I have not yet used the license key to activate Calman yet, so maybe this behavior only happens in Trial mode, I don't know.

I noticed there are only 10 activations allowed (why?), and would like to first figure out what is the best way to run Calman:
1. run it on the PC that is connected to the LG TV
2. or, run it on my Surface, and have Client 3 installed and running on the PC connected to the LG TV.

Question for anyone familiar with Calman: while Calman is calibrating using its internal software pattern generator, does it display only the pattern during calibration, or does it display the pattern + some user interface elements?

If it displays user interface elements on the TV while also showing patterns on the TV, then I think it's better to pick the second choice.
post #6207 of 6933 Old 05-02-2019, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemoon737 View Post
The is a new release now...if your TV doesn't auto download it go to the Sony website and install it manually via USB.
V6.5850 which fixes the ARC problem is currently not available for european models. The latest version you can download on all european Sony websites is V6.5830. Auto update still uses the last android tv 7 firmware.
bluemoon737 likes this.
post #6208 of 6933 Old 05-02-2019, 03:11 PM
** Man of Leisure **

Mentioned: 376 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11111 Post(s)
Liked: 6617
Quote:

Question for anyone familiar with Calman: while Calman is calibrating using its internal software pattern generator, does it display only the pattern during calibration, or does it display the pattern + some user interface elements?

If it displays user interface elements on the TV while also showing patterns on the TV, then I think it's better to pick the second choice.
The PC must be configured as having two displays, i.e. the display being calibrated is the “second” display. I believe this is called “extended desktop”. In this mode, the only thing being displayed on the TV is the pattern window. In CalMAN, click “Open pattern window”, drag it to the second display (the TV), and then maximize the pattern window. The internal pattern generator actually works quite well as long as the display settings on the laptop are configured properly. I have a link to a guide created by Tyler that describes the laptop display settings—let me know if you need the link.
post #6209 of 6933 Old 05-02-2019, 03:43 PM

The problem is that I don't have two displays connected to the same PC. I have a PC using the C8 as its display, and a Microsoft Surface with its own display.

I want to calibrate the PC (with its graphics card) + C8 chain. Because of this, having the Surface using its own display and the C8 as an additional display is not a solution for me.
post #6210 of 6933 Old 05-02-2019, 03:45 PM
** Man of Leisure **

Mentioned: 376 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11111 Post(s)
Liked: 6617
Quote:
The problem is that I don't have two displays connected to the same PC. I have a PC using the C8 as its display, and a Microsoft Surface with its own display.

I want to calibrate the PC (with its graphics card) + C8 chain. Because of this, having the Surface using its own display and the C8 as an additional display is not a solution for me.
Yes, your situation is different. My laptop has its own display, so extending the display to the Sony works quite well. I don’t know what to recommend for your situation.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Display Calibration

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page