CalMan 5 Release Notes and Discussion - Page 242 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2090Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #7231 of 7254 Old 02-12-2020, 06:17 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
WiFi-Spy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 4,024
Mentioned: 249 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1736 Post(s)
Liked: 2328
Quote:
Originally Posted by p5browne View Post
https://www.portrait.com/downloads1/...ome-enthusiast



GM2 means ?



New Features:



3D LUT high/low patch randomization added.

New Fixed Point 3D LUT options (9, 17, and 21 options).

Added support for X-Rite i1 Studio Spectroradiometer.

Added support for Datacolor Spyder X Colorimeter.

Added support for LG B9.

Added support for Murideo Six-G firmware version 3.xx.

CalMAN License ID displayed in licensing panel.

New C6 EDRS added: Acer – Predator X27 / Asus – Proart PA32UCX / Asus – ROG PG27UQ / BenQ – BenQ PV270/SW270C/SW321C / Canon – DP V2420 / Dell – UP2720Q / EIZO – CG279X / EIZO – CG319X / FSI – DM170 DM240.

Changes:



Epson Projector Smart Iris now set to off on reset.

Resolved Issues:



Uniformity chart series read errors fixed.

Custom workflows with version numbers 2.x.x.x or higher opening correctly.

Report text, data field linking, and loading errors corrected.

Changing MadVR LUT memory causes CalMAN hang.


The main changes were adding AutoCal support for a new BenQ monitor model. The next release will be CalMAN 2020 Beta 1


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Tyler Pruitt - Technical Evangelist - for CalMAN

10 Bit Gradient Test Patterns (HEVC) - Free Download
WiFi-Spy is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #7232 of 7254 Old 02-13-2020, 11:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
AnotherDude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: NYC
Posts: 2,585
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1099 Post(s)
Liked: 675
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiFi-Spy View Post
- Use native gamma for gamut targets

This was back when TVs did not have gamma controls or multi point grayscale. It allowed you to see the CMS targets compared to the actual gamma of the TV and not the grandma of the calibration target.



- Saturation targets use constant luminance

Normally a saturation sweep gets brighter as it desaturate towards white. This setting makes CalMAN recalculate the RGB triplets needed for everything to maintain luminance of each point in the same color of the saturation sweep.
Tyler, does the constant luminance affect calibration, or only the interpretation? Thanks!

---------------------------------------
Samsung 75Q9FN, Pioneer UDP-LX500, Outlaw 975, C6-HDR, VideoForge Pro, CalMAN Home Theater, Win 10 Pro x64 1909
HT Enthusiast Extended Custom WF v22.0.0 - 1/8/2020
HT Enthusiast Essentials Custom WF v1.2.0 - 7/5/2019
AnotherDude is online now  
post #7233 of 7254 Old 02-13-2020, 02:58 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 176
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiFi-Spy View Post
The main changes were adding AutoCal support for a new BenQ monitor model. The next release will be CalMAN 2020 Beta 1


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Will this fix the issue I am seeing in the Calman Home version regarding the discrepancy between the in-built pattern generator and R. Masc's patterns for Dolby Vision calibration.

I have searched for the answer on how to make the inbuilt generator properly display the patterns, but have only seen crushed blacks through 15% with the first pattern visible at 20%, which makes it seem like it matches the curve with the display set to 50% backlight, but does not actually do so.

I tried with the setting for stretch to PC levels for the inbuilt generator, that did not resolve it, even with reloading the software (it was set as on by default, which means it should have worked, but there was no difference between it on and off). I checked with the luminance value set to 16-235 and 0-255. The 0-255 definitely worked as expected, which further crushed black levels.

So just seeing if this is a known issue, if so, whether or not this is being worked on, and if not, whether or not this is the proper venue to report it? I always confirm the multiple settings in software pattern generators against a known quantity that is correct. In this case, it is Masciola's DV patterns. Not being able to get anywhere close, allowing for some variance, is an issue (especially since I purchased this program SOLELY for the DV features, as I am quite apt at HCFR for both SDR and HDR10 calibration).

Could you comment on this or help identify the issue? I've been through the Windows settings, the Nvidia settings (in both locations, which many miss the setting in Adjust Video Color Settings > Advanced tab > Dynamic Range, which can cause errors in output for slight deviation, instead of the primary one for Change Resolution with setting the color depth, output color format, and output dynamic range), as well as the Calman's settings, with none resolving the issue.
ajc9988 is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #7234 of 7254 Old 02-13-2020, 03:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: New York
Posts: 5,873
Mentioned: 206 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4824 Post(s)
Liked: 5788
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajc9988 View Post
Will this fix the issue I am seeing in the Calman Home version regarding the discrepancy between the in-built pattern generator and R. Masc's patterns for Dolby Vision calibration.

I have searched for the answer on how to make the inbuilt generator properly display the patterns, but have only seen crushed blacks through 15% with the first pattern visible at 20%, which makes it seem like it matches the curve with the display set to 50% backlight, but does not actually do so.

I tried with the setting for stretch to PC levels for the inbuilt generator, that did not resolve it, even with reloading the software (it was set as on by default, which means it should have worked, but there was no difference between it on and off). I checked with the luminance value set to 16-235 and 0-255. The 0-255 definitely worked as expected, which further crushed black levels.

So just seeing if this is a known issue, if so, whether or not this is being worked on, and if not, whether or not this is the proper venue to report it? I always confirm the multiple settings in software pattern generators against a known quantity that is correct. In this case, it is Masciola's DV patterns. Not being able to get anywhere close, allowing for some variance, is an issue (especially since I purchased this program SOLELY for the DV features, as I am quite apt at HCFR for both SDR and HDR10 calibration).

Could you comment on this or help identify the issue? I've been through the Windows settings, the Nvidia settings (in both locations, which many miss the setting in Adjust Video Color Settings > Advanced tab > Dynamic Range, which can cause errors in output for slight deviation, instead of the primary one for Change Resolution with setting the color depth, output color format, and output dynamic range), as well as the Calman's settings, with none resolving the issue.
To properly get the answer to this question, I would send an e-mail with as much detail to Portrait Support at https://www.portrait.com/technical-support/
shoman94 and ajc9988 like this.

John
Sony 55A1E, A9F
Marantz 7012, Ohm Walsh Speakers
Klein K10-A, Jeti 1501, Murideo Six-G Gen2
Calman Ultimate, LightSpace Pro, ISF Level III Certified
jrref is online now  
post #7235 of 7254 Old 02-13-2020, 03:20 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 176
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrref View Post
To properly get the answer to this question, I would send an e-mail with as much detail to Portrait Support at https://www.portrait.com/technical-support/
Thank you!
ajc9988 is online now  
post #7236 of 7254 Old 02-13-2020, 03:34 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
WiFi-Spy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 4,024
Mentioned: 249 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1736 Post(s)
Liked: 2328
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherDude View Post
Tyler, does the constant luminance affect calibration, or only the interpretation? Thanks!


It will affect which points are measured for a CMS autoCAL.
AnotherDude and mrtickleuk like this.

Tyler Pruitt - Technical Evangelist - for CalMAN

10 Bit Gradient Test Patterns (HEVC) - Free Download
WiFi-Spy is offline  
post #7237 of 7254 Old 02-13-2020, 03:36 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
WiFi-Spy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 4,024
Mentioned: 249 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1736 Post(s)
Liked: 2328
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajc9988 View Post
Will this fix the issue I am seeing in the Calman Home version regarding the discrepancy between the in-built pattern generator and R. Masc's patterns for Dolby Vision calibration.

I have searched for the answer on how to make the inbuilt generator properly display the patterns, but have only seen crushed blacks through 15% with the first pattern visible at 20%, which makes it seem like it matches the curve with the display set to 50% backlight, but does not actually do so.

I tried with the setting for stretch to PC levels for the inbuilt generator, that did not resolve it, even with reloading the software (it was set as on by default, which means it should have worked, but there was no difference between it on and off). I checked with the luminance value set to 16-235 and 0-255. The 0-255 definitely worked as expected, which further crushed black levels.

So just seeing if this is a known issue, if so, whether or not this is being worked on, and if not, whether or not this is the proper venue to report it? I always confirm the multiple settings in software pattern generators against a known quantity that is correct. In this case, it is Masciola's DV patterns. Not being able to get anywhere close, allowing for some variance, is an issue (especially since I purchased this program SOLELY for the DV features, as I am quite apt at HCFR for both SDR and HDR10 calibration).

Could you comment on this or help identify the issue? I've been through the Windows settings, the Nvidia settings (in both locations, which many miss the setting in Adjust Video Color Settings > Advanced tab > Dynamic Range, which can cause errors in output for slight deviation, instead of the primary one for Change Resolution with setting the color depth, output color format, and output dynamic range), as well as the Calman's settings, with none resolving the issue.


We have stopped officially supporting using a pc as a DV pattern source. There are way too many variables, and even myself have spent countless hours trying to get it working on a new PC or helping people to get it working on theirs.
ajc9988 likes this.

Tyler Pruitt - Technical Evangelist - for CalMAN

10 Bit Gradient Test Patterns (HEVC) - Free Download
WiFi-Spy is offline  
post #7238 of 7254 Old 02-13-2020, 03:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
shoman94's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Maine
Posts: 7,752
Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5446 Post(s)
Liked: 3736
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajc9988 View Post
Will this fix the issue I am seeing in the Calman Home version regarding the discrepancy between the in-built pattern generator and R. Masc's patterns for Dolby Vision calibration.

I have searched for the answer on how to make the inbuilt generator properly display the patterns, but have only seen crushed blacks through 15% with the first pattern visible at 20%, which makes it seem like it matches the curve with the display set to 50% backlight, but does not actually do so.

I tried with the setting for stretch to PC levels for the inbuilt generator, that did not resolve it, even with reloading the software (it was set as on by default, which means it should have worked, but there was no difference between it on and off). I checked with the luminance value set to 16-235 and 0-255. The 0-255 definitely worked as expected, which further crushed black levels.

So just seeing if this is a known issue, if so, whether or not this is being worked on, and if not, whether or not this is the proper venue to report it? I always confirm the multiple settings in software pattern generators against a known quantity that is correct. In this case, it is Masciola's DV patterns. Not being able to get anywhere close, allowing for some variance, is an issue (especially since I purchased this program SOLELY for the DV features, as I am quite apt at HCFR for both SDR and HDR10 calibration).

Could you comment on this or help identify the issue? I've been through the Windows settings, the Nvidia settings (in both locations, which many miss the setting in Adjust Video Color Settings > Advanced tab > Dynamic Range, which can cause errors in output for slight deviation, instead of the primary one for Change Resolution with setting the color depth, output color format, and output dynamic range), as well as the Calman's settings, with none resolving the issue.
Can you provide the grayscale scan using your laptop and manually using the disc? I never had an issue with them. I don't have a P at home anymore so I can check it now for you. I do have a 2017 M series so I can hook up to that and let you know. I think it's setup though. I know that 5-15% are usually under luminance.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
2018 Sony LCD Master Series Calibration Thread
Sony XBR-75Z9F, Vizio M50-E1, Pioneer Kuro 5020, Marantz SR6013, AppleTV-4K, XBox One & (X), NVIDIA SHIELD.v1, FireTV 4K-HDR, HDHR Connects, QNAP 431+
shoman94 is offline  
post #7239 of 7254 Old 02-13-2020, 03:52 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 176
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoman94 View Post
Can you provide the grayscale scan using your laptop and manually using the disc? I never had an issue with them. I don't have a P at home anymore so I can check it now for you. I do have a 2017 M series so I can hook up to that and let you know. I think it's setup though. I know that 5-15% are usually under luminance.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
There is no point, as they are not even in the same ballpark. At 5%, 10%, and 15%, the pattern generator runs as black, whereas the disk has them visible and at certain rates.

With my display specifically, it cannot reach the 400.5 nits for the DVGR for the no FALD calibration DVGR file. If I use FALD on, it reaches in the 258 nit range with a 10% pattern, which the file for other model numbers within the P50 range go to the low 300 nit range. I was hoping the built-in pattern generator would work so that with FALD on, I could resize the window to get the nit levels correct on the 300 nit DVGR and calibrate the P50-C1 that way.

But since, as mentioned above, it is no longer supported, I bought the software for nothing unless I drop a couple grand for a supported external pattern generator that has the capability to resize the window.

I believe you were the one that mentioned after the 7 or 8 firmware update it tracked better. But it didn't. It only tracks the midrange better because the built-in pattern generator is spitting out the wrong output. The R. Masc patterns has it where you still need to drop the backlight to 29 to match the output (I'm sure you remember having to do that).

But since support has been dropped, I see little advantage to having bought it over using HCFR, as the performance of Calman compared to HCFR for HDR10 and SDR is negligible, except I don't have to resize the scale in windows constantly and HCFR doesn't keep resetting what I tell it to use in the preference setting folder like Calman does, which is annoying to say the least.

Because of this, I can only try to set gray scale, but even with that, it is off because it cannot reach the proper nit values for the curve.

I do understand the headaches DV calibration has caused. Without a doubt. But without it properly having any ability to output the correct values, or get in the ballpark, I feel I flushed $145 down the toilet.
ajc9988 is online now  
post #7240 of 7254 Old 02-13-2020, 04:06 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 176
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiFi-Spy View Post
We have stopped officially supporting using a pc as a DV pattern source. There are way too many variables, and even myself have spent countless hours trying to get it working on a new PC or helping people to get it working on theirs.
BTW, @WiFi-Spy , will Portrait Display issue a refund within the first week of purchase considering the lack of support NOT being identified or prominently displayed on the website? This is the sole purpose for my purchase of Calman, as HCFR was fulfilling my needs for SDR and HDR-10 fine.

I wanted the in-built pattern generator solely for reading the DVGR file and the capability to resize the window to calibrate it. Since it is not fit for the intended purpose, and I saw nothing until now on the pattern generator being deprecated, would they be willing to issue a refund?
ajc9988 is online now  
post #7241 of 7254 Old 02-13-2020, 05:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
shoman94's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Maine
Posts: 7,752
Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5446 Post(s)
Liked: 3736
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajc9988 View Post
There is no point, as they are not even in the same ballpark. At 5%, 10%, and 15%, the pattern generator runs as black, whereas the disk has them visible and at certain rates.

With my display specifically, it cannot reach the 400.5 nits for the DVGR for the no FALD calibration DVGR file. If I use FALD on, it reaches in the 258 nit range with a 10% pattern, which the file for other model numbers within the P50 range go to the low 300 nit range. I was hoping the built-in pattern generator would work so that with FALD on, I could resize the window to get the nit levels correct on the 300 nit DVGR and calibrate the P50-C1 that way.

But since, as mentioned above, it is no longer supported, I bought the software for nothing unless I drop a couple grand for a supported external pattern generator that has the capability to resize the window.

I believe you were the one that mentioned after the 7 or 8 firmware update it tracked better. But it didn't. It only tracks the midrange better because the built-in pattern generator is spitting out the wrong output. The R. Masc patterns has it where you still need to drop the backlight to 29 to match the output (I'm sure you remember having to do that).

But since support has been dropped, I see little advantage to having bought it over using HCFR, as the performance of Calman compared to HCFR for HDR10 and SDR is negligible, except I don't have to resize the scale in windows constantly and HCFR doesn't keep resetting what I tell it to use in the preference setting folder like Calman does, which is annoying to say the least.

Because of this, I can only try to set gray scale, but even with that, it is off because it cannot reach the proper nit values for the curve.

I do understand the headaches DV calibration has caused. Without a doubt. But without it properly having any ability to output the correct values, or get in the ballpark, I feel I flushed $145 down the toilet.
It's not that it doesn't work, they just don't want to spend the time supporting it because of all the different setups. It's too time consuming for them. Let me go into my Vizio tomorrow. I'll go back and look at my notes too and see if I have it written down.

You can also got into the Vizio Cal thread. There should be a few in there still doing Vizio's.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
2018 Sony LCD Master Series Calibration Thread
Sony XBR-75Z9F, Vizio M50-E1, Pioneer Kuro 5020, Marantz SR6013, AppleTV-4K, XBox One & (X), NVIDIA SHIELD.v1, FireTV 4K-HDR, HDHR Connects, QNAP 431+
shoman94 is offline  
post #7242 of 7254 Old 02-13-2020, 05:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
beardontwalk123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Clear Lake, IA
Posts: 2,124
Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1607 Post(s)
Liked: 931
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajc9988 View Post
There is no point, as they are not even in the same ballpark. At 5%, 10%, and 15%, the pattern generator runs as black, whereas the disk has them visible and at certain rates.

With my display specifically, it cannot reach the 400.5 nits for the DVGR for the no FALD calibration DVGR file. If I use FALD on, it reaches in the 258 nit range with a 10% pattern, which the file for other model numbers within the P50 range go to the low 300 nit range. I was hoping the built-in pattern generator would work so that with FALD on, I could resize the window to get the nit levels correct on the 300 nit DVGR and calibrate the P50-C1 that way.

But since, as mentioned above, it is no longer supported, I bought the software for nothing unless I drop a couple grand for a supported external pattern generator that has the capability to resize the window.

I believe you were the one that mentioned after the 7 or 8 firmware update it tracked better. But it didn't. It only tracks the midrange better because the built-in pattern generator is spitting out the wrong output. The R. Masc patterns has it where you still need to drop the backlight to 29 to match the output (I'm sure you remember having to do that).

But since support has been dropped, I see little advantage to having bought it over using HCFR, as the performance of Calman compared to HCFR for HDR10 and SDR is negligible, except I don't have to resize the scale in windows constantly and HCFR doesn't keep resetting what I tell it to use in the preference setting folder like Calman does, which is annoying to say the least.

Because of this, I can only try to set gray scale, but even with that, it is off because it cannot reach the proper nit values for the curve.

I do understand the headaches DV calibration has caused. Without a doubt. But without it properly having any ability to output the correct values, or get in the ballpark, I feel I flushed $145 down the toilet.


I get Dolby Vision to trigger just fine still with my Vizio PQ and a laptop.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
beardontwalk123 is offline  
post #7243 of 7254 Old 02-13-2020, 05:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
beardontwalk123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Clear Lake, IA
Posts: 2,124
Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1607 Post(s)
Liked: 931
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoman94 View Post
Can you provide the grayscale scan using your laptop and manually using the disc? I never had an issue with them. I don't have a P at home anymore so I can check it now for you. I do have a 2017 M series so I can hook up to that and let you know. I think it's setup though. I know that 5-15% are usually under luminance.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk


I have the older version of CalMan and get DV to trigger just fine with my Laptop and I don’t have crushed blacks. Weird that your 5-15% is always crushed.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
beardontwalk123 is offline  
post #7244 of 7254 Old 02-13-2020, 05:58 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 176
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by beardontwalk123 View Post
I get Dolby Vision to trigger just fine still with my Vizio PQ and a laptop.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This is NOT about getting DV to trigger. That was resolved. This is the patterns NOT being correct when triggered. There is a difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoman94 View Post
It's not that it doesn't work, they just don't want to spend the time supporting it because of all the different setups. It's too time consuming for them. Let me go into my Vizio tomorrow. I'll go back and look at my notes too and see if I have it written down.

You can also got into the Vizio Cal thread. There should be a few in there still doing Vizio's.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
Do you have the R. Masc patterns to compare?

Also, which version of the software will you be using? I'm on 5.10.2.67.

And if the patterns DO NOT properly display the output, regardless of the settings you put, then IT DOES NOT WORK. Time consuming or not, if the output is not even in the ballpark, it is not a feature. Period.

I look forward to you reporting back on it. Wish it was still on the Pxx-Cx series to confirm whether it is an issue specifically with that series, but if you see that lower end crushed, please let us know. Also, with the switch to force to PC levels basically not doing anything to change the performance output, likely that was broken in other changes and not fixed because it was deprecated.
ajc9988 is online now  
post #7245 of 7254 Old 02-13-2020, 06:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
beardontwalk123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Clear Lake, IA
Posts: 2,124
Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1607 Post(s)
Liked: 931
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajc9988 View Post
This is NOT about getting DV to trigger. That was resolved. This is the patterns NOT being correct when triggered. There is a difference.


Do you have the R. Masc patterns to compare?

Also, which version of the software will you be using? I'm on 5.10.2.67.

And if the patterns DO NOT properly display the output, regardless of the settings you put, then IT DOES NOT WORK. Time consuming or not, if the output is not even in the ballpark, it is not a feature. Period.

I look forward to you reporting back on it. Wish it was still on the Pxx-Cx series to confirm whether it is an issue specifically with that series, but if you see that lower end crushed, please let us know. Also, with the switch to force to PC levels basically not doing anything to change the performance output, likely that was broken in other changes and not fixed because it was deprecated.

I also said that my patterns read properly. The only time I get a zero reading on 5-15 is when the pc levels are not checked properly. Which you’ve said you toggled. I just wanted you to know that I still have it working properly. So you should be able to get it as well. Also about local dimming, my E Series only read correctly with Local Dimming Off but my PQ read correctly with it On. I understand the frustration for sure though.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
beardontwalk123 is offline  
post #7246 of 7254 Old 02-13-2020, 06:15 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 176
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by beardontwalk123 View Post
I also said that my patterns read properly. The only time I get a zero reading on 5-15 is when the pc levels are not checked properly. Which you’ve said you toggled. I just wanted you to know that I still have it working properly. So you should be able to get it as well. Also about local dimming, my E Series only read correctly with Local Dimming Off but my PQ read correctly with it On. I understand the frustration for sure though.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You have an older version of the software. To explain, once a feature is deprecated, it no longer is maintained in the software version branch. That means if other changes to the code break it, they will NEVER fix it in any future version. My software version is 5.10.2.67. What version are you using?

Also, here is my write-up on the issue that I sent to them:

The inbuilt pattern generator is not properly displaying the levels on gray scale for Dolby Vision.

I have checked the output of the pattern generator versus R. Masciola's patterns for DV. It is outputting black levels for 5%, 10%, and 15%.

I have tried the Expand Built-in patterns to PC levels both on and off (which does not change the output and is found within Application Preferences), I have tried changing the Luminance Levels under Workflow Basic Options from 16-235 to 0-255, which, as expected, further crushed black levels, have changed the Nvidia settings under Video>Adjust Video Color Settings > Advanced > Dynamic Range to both 16-235 and 0-255 (I generally have this on 0-255 as it can cause errors when left on the default 16-235, although minor), and of course had the resolution under Display > Change Resolution >Apply the following settings set to 32-bit, output color depth to 12 bpc, Output color format set to RGB, and Output Dynamic Range set to Full, while also having scaling in Windows Display Setting set to 100% with display extended. The output does change the TV to DV with the patterns and I do have it set to inject DV metadata through RGB tunneling, although I have tried all three of those metadata settings.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
ajc9988 is online now  
post #7247 of 7254 Old 02-13-2020, 06:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
beardontwalk123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Clear Lake, IA
Posts: 2,124
Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1607 Post(s)
Liked: 931
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajc9988 View Post
You have an older version of the software. To explain, once a feature is deprecated, it no longer is maintained in the software version branch. That means if other changes to the code break it, they will NEVER fix it in any future version. My software version is 5.10.2.67. What version are you using?

Also, here is my write-up on the issue that I sent to them:

The inbuilt pattern generator is not properly displaying the levels on gray scale for Dolby Vision.

I have checked the output of the pattern generator versus R. Masciola's patterns for DV. It is outputting black levels for 5%, 10%, and 15%.

I have tried the Expand Built-in patterns to PC levels both on and off (which does not change the output and is found within Application Preferences), I have tried changing the Luminance Levels under Workflow Basic Options from 16-235 to 0-255, which, as expected, further crushed black levels, have changed the Nvidia settings under Video>Adjust Video Color Settings > Advanced > Dynamic Range to both 16-235 and 0-255 (I generally have this on 0-255 as it can cause errors when left on the default 16-235, although minor), and of course had the resolution under Display > Change Resolution >Apply the following settings set to 32-bit, output color depth to 12 bpc, Output color format set to RGB, and Output Dynamic Range set to Full, while also having scaling in Windows Display Setting set to 100% with display extended. The output does change the TV to DV with the patterns and I do have it set to inject DV metadata through RGB tunneling, although I have tried all three of those metadata settings.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for this, checking or unchecking should definitely change the output. That is what needs to be focused on. I think you have everything else pretty much locked down. Is your Vizio set to Auto In the Color Space setting? If it’s not that could be the problem. Otherwise maybe it’s not changing automatically like it should? I would also try RGB or YCbCr individually and see if that works. If you have tried all of this also I apologize, I am trying to keep up with everything.



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ajc9988 likes this.
beardontwalk123 is offline  
post #7248 of 7254 Old 02-13-2020, 06:39 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 176
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by beardontwalk123 View Post
Thank you for this, checking or unchecking should definitely change the output. That is what needs to be focused on. I think you have everything else pretty much locked down. Is your Vizio set to Auto In the Color Space setting? If it’s not that could be the problem. Otherwise maybe it’s not changing automatically like it should? I would also try RGB or YCbCr individually and see if that works. If you have tried all of this also I apologize, I am trying to keep up with everything.



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I am pretty sure I checked this, but will verify it once I get home. Have to run to the store real quick.
ajc9988 is online now  
post #7249 of 7254 Old 02-13-2020, 06:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
beardontwalk123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Clear Lake, IA
Posts: 2,124
Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1607 Post(s)
Liked: 931
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajc9988 View Post
I am pretty sure I checked this, but will verify it once I get home. Have to run to the store real quick.


OK, for some reason you can only toggle it in SDR but it will carry over into Dolby Vision with whatever you set it to. Wouldn't hurt to try, rooting for you to get this. I remember when it first came out I was in your shoes and super frustrated and then finally got it to work right.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ajc9988 likes this.
beardontwalk123 is offline  
post #7250 of 7254 Old 02-13-2020, 07:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
shoman94's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Maine
Posts: 7,752
Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5446 Post(s)
Liked: 3736
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajc9988 View Post
You have an older version of the software. To explain, once a feature is deprecated, it no longer is maintained in the software version branch. That means if other changes to the code break it, they will NEVER fix it in any future version. My software version is 5.10.2.67. What version are you using?

Also, here is my write-up on the issue that I sent to them:

The inbuilt pattern generator is not properly displaying the levels on gray scale for Dolby Vision.

I have checked the output of the pattern generator versus R. Masciola's patterns for DV. It is outputting black levels for 5%, 10%, and 15%.

I have tried the Expand Built-in patterns to PC levels both on and off (which does not change the output and is found within Application Preferences), I have tried changing the Luminance Levels under Workflow Basic Options from 16-235 to 0-255, which, as expected, further crushed black levels, have changed the Nvidia settings under Video>Adjust Video Color Settings > Advanced > Dynamic Range to both 16-235 and 0-255 (I generally have this on 0-255 as it can cause errors when left on the default 16-235, although minor), and of course had the resolution under Display > Change Resolution >Apply the following settings set to 32-bit, output color depth to 12 bpc, Output color format set to RGB, and Output Dynamic Range set to Full, while also having scaling in Windows Display Setting set to 100% with display extended. The output does change the TV to DV with the patterns and I do have it set to inject DV metadata through RGB tunneling, although I have tried all three of those metadata settings.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
The PC should be set to Full RGB 8bit 1080p60hz. Use the laptop in extended desktop mode. Tv is set to auto. I just calibrated my old P75-C1 and my brother inlaws P65-C1 in November and December 2019. Calman should be set to video levels but I don't remember if expand should be check or not. Im thinking no off the top of my head. When displaying a pattern ensure the RGB Tunneling is enable in the pattern tab at the bottom. Ensure you have FALD On, ensure you start at gamma 2.2 or lower. The EOTF is normally below the line for 5-15.

So based on the last few messages, are you infact getting DV patterns to show in DV mode? If you are please show me the grayscale graph so I can see it. Tomorrow I will connect to my M50 and verify things work correctly.

No need to get snippy. We are trying to help. If you don't want any and just want to give up then say so and call Calman to try and get your refund.



Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
2018 Sony LCD Master Series Calibration Thread
Sony XBR-75Z9F, Vizio M50-E1, Pioneer Kuro 5020, Marantz SR6013, AppleTV-4K, XBox One & (X), NVIDIA SHIELD.v1, FireTV 4K-HDR, HDHR Connects, QNAP 431+
shoman94 is offline  
post #7251 of 7254 Old 02-13-2020, 07:42 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 176
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by beardontwalk123 View Post
OK, for some reason you can only toggle it in SDR but it will carry over into Dolby Vision with whatever you set it to. Wouldn't hurt to try, rooting for you to get this. I remember when it first came out I was in your shoes and super frustrated and then finally got it to work right.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That is exactly what the problem was. THANK YOU SO MUCH.

The TV was in YCbCr mode. When on USB, it doesn't give you an option and sets it to Auto. If you set it to Auto or RGB while the TV is in SDR mode, it displays the pattern. If in YCbCr, it crushes the black scale. Now I have something to do this weekend, namely comparing it to the R. Masc. patterns at different levels, seeing if there is a difference in levels depending on Auto and RGB and which matches better (at least with the P50-C1, there is a difference between Auto and YCbCr when doing SDR levels to the TV, so figuring similar here).

If I have time this weekend, I may even create a PDF with screenshots (or will do so in the next week or so) so that there is a guide for people with Vizio TVs to check, at least regarding this simple check. That way people can visually see where the settings are in Calman AND in Nvidia's control panel.

But once again, thank you for that. I can now go through and check if that switch is working in software as well (just as a sanity check since I made an accusation and was proven wrong).
beardontwalk123 likes this.
ajc9988 is online now  
post #7252 of 7254 Old 02-13-2020, 07:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
beardontwalk123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Clear Lake, IA
Posts: 2,124
Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1607 Post(s)
Liked: 931
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajc9988 View Post
That is exactly what the problem was. THANK YOU SO MUCH.

The TV was in YCbCr mode. When on USB, it doesn't give you an option and sets it to Auto. If you set it to Auto or RGB while the TV is in SDR mode, it displays the pattern. If in YCbCr, it crushes the black scale. Now I have something to do this weekend, namely comparing it to the R. Masc. patterns at different levels, seeing if there is a difference in levels depending on Auto and RGB and which matches better (at least with the P50-C1, there is a difference between Auto and YCbCr when doing SDR levels to the TV, so figuring similar here).

If I have time this weekend, I may even create a PDF with screenshots (or will do so in the next week or so) so that there is a guide for people with Vizio TVs to check, at least regarding this simple check. That way people can visually see where the settings are in Calman AND in Nvidia's control panel.

But once again, thank you for that. I can now go through and check if that switch is working in software as well (just as a sanity check since I made an accusation and was proven wrong).


Yay! Glad you got it! I always keep the TV in Auto because it does a great job switching when it needs to. I’ve had zero problems with it in Auto. Again happy for you.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
shoman94, ajc9988 and mrtickleuk like this.
beardontwalk123 is offline  
post #7253 of 7254 Old 02-13-2020, 08:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
shoman94's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Maine
Posts: 7,752
Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5446 Post(s)
Liked: 3736
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajc9988 View Post
That is exactly what the problem was. THANK YOU SO MUCH.

The TV was in YCbCr mode. When on USB, it doesn't give you an option and sets it to Auto. If you set it to Auto or RGB while the TV is in SDR mode, it displays the pattern. If in YCbCr, it crushes the black scale. Now I have something to do this weekend, namely comparing it to the R. Masc. patterns at different levels, seeing if there is a difference in levels depending on Auto and RGB and which matches better (at least with the P50-C1, there is a difference between Auto and YCbCr when doing SDR levels to the TV, so figuring similar here).

If I have time this weekend, I may even create a PDF with screenshots (or will do so in the next week or so) so that there is a guide for people with Vizio TVs to check, at least regarding this simple check. That way people can visually see where the settings are in Calman AND in Nvidia's control panel.

But once again, thank you for that. I can now go through and check if that switch is working in software as well (just as a sanity check since I made an accusation and was proven wrong).
You need to leave that in auto. The tv needs full RGB for the DV patterns. That switch only changes the tv from using RGB or Ycbcr not 0-255 vs 16-235. Good luck.


Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
beardontwalk123 likes this.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
2018 Sony LCD Master Series Calibration Thread
Sony XBR-75Z9F, Vizio M50-E1, Pioneer Kuro 5020, Marantz SR6013, AppleTV-4K, XBox One & (X), NVIDIA SHIELD.v1, FireTV 4K-HDR, HDHR Connects, QNAP 431+
shoman94 is offline  
post #7254 of 7254 Old Yesterday, 12:42 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: Athens, Greece
Posts: 17
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Will this new release support the i1 display pro PLUS meter ?
avernar likes this.
Nikos Fragoulis is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Display Calibration

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off