CalMan 5 Release Notes and Discussion - Page 244 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2502Likes

post #7291 of 7821 Old 04-17-2020, 05:39 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 295 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Nice View Post
Manually calibrate the grayscale for DV and do not upload a config file. In other words, do not use autocal for DV.
Make sense, i know its personal but why are you using awp matching plasma rather than Tyler who is matching a x300?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7292 of 7821 Old 04-17-2020, 10:52 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 203 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2747 Post(s)
Liked: 4925
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toto84 View Post
Make sense, i know its personal but why are you using awp matching plasma rather than Tyler who is matching a x300?

The Judd offset that the x300 uses was designed to make RGB OLEDs— like the x300— align with the visual appearance of crt/plasma/non wide gamut LCDs. So, why would I care to deal with the “middle man” when I can match a source the “middle man” is trying to mimic on my own? The AWP I arrived at two years ago has been verified by multiple people globally who have done their own awp endeavor. In other words... I’m good and do not need any other awp
mrtickleuk, liberator72 and Toto84 like this.
post #7293 of 7821 Old 04-17-2020, 11:07 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 293 Post(s)
Liked: 210
Quote:
The AWP I arrived at two years ago has been verified by multiple people globally who have done their own awp endeavor
Read from multiple sources that what comes to metameric failure it´s personal and varies observer to observer.
Is difference so minor that if you do things correct you should get awp which is close to Yours, Leon, Miki´s etc ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7294 of 7821 Old 04-17-2020, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Make73 View Post
Read from multiple sources that what comes to metameric failure it´s personal and varies observer to observer.
Is difference so minor that if you do things correct you should get awp which is close to Yours, Leon, Miki´s etc ?
What
post #7295 of 7821 Old 04-17-2020, 11:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
What
Metameric failure, You know?
Custom white point is to correct that, right?
From internet you can find artices which says that metameric failure depends by eyes of observer, so there is difference how I see it or You see it or Tyler like he wrote here few times that this is one thing at your shootout where you see things differently.

Also Ted Aspiotis wrote here multiple times that metameric failure is impossible to correct with only one correct coordinates which fit to all observers.

So I asked is difference between observers so minor that when You, Leon, Miki etc found almost same custom white point with reference equipments, you could say that there is only one correct custom white point for 2018/2019 LG OLEDs?

Or what part You didn´t understand, sorry my english, we could chat also by finnish
mrtickleuk likes this.
post #7296 of 7821 Old 04-17-2020, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Metameric failure, You know?
Custom white point is to correct that, right?
From internet you can find artices which says that metameric failure depends by eyes of observer, so there is difference how I see it or You see it or Tyler like he wrote here few times that this is one thing at your shootout where you see things differently.

Also Ted Aspiotis wrote here multiple times that metameric failure is impossible to correct with only one correct coordinates which fit to all observers.

So I asked is difference between observers so minor that when You, Leon, Miki etc found almost same custom white point with reference equipments, you could say that there is only one correct custom white point for 2018/2019 LG OLEDs?

Or what part You didn´t understand, sorry my english, we could chat also by finnish
I’m fully aware of Metameric failure. I’m confused as to why you assumed I implied there is only one correct alternative white point. My post simply said I don’t care to use an awp derived from a x300 that someone created when I used one of the display techs the x300 is supposed to be mimicking with its Judd offset (Sony broadcast crt was the actual reference used for RGB OLED Judd). Multiple others arrived at pretty much the same coordinates with their own reference spectro and Kuro. In science, when it is repeatable.....
Make73, liberator72 and Toto84 like this.
post #7297 of 7821 Old 04-17-2020, 11:52 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Multiple others arrived at pretty much the same coordinates with their own reference spectro and Kuro. In science, when it is repeatable.....
Yes, and that part is what I´m interested
It would be nice to see some more results what is difference between how different observers see this and what kind of variance there really is.
If coordinates like Yours could be "correct" for most of us, then maby LG could release firmware which fixes white point of Technicolor to more correct one. Sure there is variance with different units.

I´m still confused about LG & Dolby finding about LG OLED custom whitepoint, there was 15 observers if understood correctly.
post #7298 of 7821 Old 04-18-2020, 12:47 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 594 Post(s)
Liked: 772
Sure, have you tried their AWP (0.308 0.313)? Does it look white to you? If yes, then there's no limitations for you to use it.
I tried it and it looked wrong, but that could be my perception which is more or less the same as zoyd, liberator72 and D-Nice. I'm in good company
sat4all and liberator72 like this.

T.U.C. Master | TVs: Pioneer PDP-LX5090H, LG OLED55C8PLA | AV Receiver: Pioneer VSX-921 | BD Player: Panasonic DMP-BDT260EG | External LUT box: Entertainment Experience eeColor | Softwares: Light Illusion Lightspace HTP,, ColourSpace HTX, CM Enthusiast, HCFR, DisplayCAL | Probes: Klein K10-A, Jeti spectraval 1501, X-Rite i1 Display Pro OEM Rev. B-02 | Test Pattern Generator: Riccardo Biasiotto’s PGenerator (RPi)
post #7299 of 7821 Old 04-18-2020, 12:48 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 606 Post(s)
Liked: 1136
Quote:
Yes, and that part is what I´m interested
It would be nice to see some more results what is difference between how different observers see this and what kind of variance there really is.
If coordinates like Yours could be "correct" for most of us, then maby LG could release firmware which fixes white point of Technicolor to more correct one. Sure there is variance with different units.
I think too many people are getting hung up on this with trying different white points on a weekly, sometimes daily basis. It doesn't give your brain time to adjust to the subtle differences to be seen by using a different canvas that an alternate white point provides.

I personally never doubted @D-Nice and his findings, but because at the time I didn't have a "reference" Spectro (just an i1Pro2), and because I was fortunate to be in a position to pick up a Pioneer Plasma, I wanted to see what happens when I repeated the experiment with consumer meters. It's true that using that meter I ended up with "similar" results to D-Nice but as you know from the other thread, when I finally picked up my new "reference" Spectro those weren't true results after all (the i1Pro2 does not read white the same as a reference Spectro), and repeating the experiment with reference gear left me with pretty much identical results to the man himself.

Miki took a different approach by using a third display to match to the Kuro and then match the OLED to that and he also ended up with very, very similar results. I used his method to confirm that it 100% does work and is repeatable.

Two enthusiasts, on opposite sides of Europe and using two different generation models of Pioneer Plasma matching to two different generation models of LG OLED (C8/C9), and a professional using a third different generation model on Pioneer Plasma who has matched to multiple generations of LG OLED. They all end up with pretty much the same coordinates when perceptually matching and using a 5nm Spectro.

While it is true that metamerism can vary by observer, unless someone is willing to go out and get the equipment to do the experiment themselves then they are limited to using the alternate white coordinates kindly provided by the professionals here, and if those have been verified independently by others then there really shouldn't be any need to question it further. Just my non professional opinion, of course.
D-Nice, Jon65, sat4all and 2 others like this.

LG OLED65C9MLB**Denon AVR-X3500H**Focal Sib Evo Atmos 5.1.2**Sky Q UHD**Xbox One X**Panasonic DP-UB820**ATV 4K
Klein K10-A**Jeti 1501**i1D3 OEM**ColourSpace HTX**LightSpace HTP**CalMAN Home for LG**DVDO AVLab TPG**HD Fury Integral 2
Ted's Disk & Media Files**S & M HD & UHD HDR Benchmark Disks
post #7300 of 7821 Old 04-18-2020, 12:56 AM
Advanced Member

Just to clarify, I don´t doubt anything or anybody, I´m just interested what really is that variance between different observers.
Maby it´s so minor that it do not matter anything.

What comes to LG & Dolby...don´t think they were drunk at meeting, maby there was just mentally one super strong person who said, these coordinates looks right, correct?...well, maby not so...these are CORRECT, RIGHT!!??....sure, those looks so natural.

Sorry for off topic, this is for CalMAN.
mrtickleuk likes this.
post #7301 of 7821 Old 04-18-2020, 01:25 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Just to clarify, I don´t doubt anything or anybody, I´m just interested what really is that variance between different observers.
Maby it´s so minor that it do not matter anything.
This wasn't directed at you specifically, but you do see some changing on a daily/weekly basis and it isn't the way to do things. It takes time for your brain to adjust and you need to view known content that you are familiar with to see how it looks to you. The main benefit (IMO) to using the AWP is that it takes that reddish look out of skin tones making everything look more natural.

Quote:
What comes to LG & Dolby...don´t think they were drunk at meeting, maby there was just mentally one super strong person who said, these coordinates looks right, correct?...well, maby not so...these are CORRECT, RIGHT!!??....sure, those looks so natural.

Sorry for off topic, this is for CalMAN.
It's not really off topic in the sense that people are using CalMAN to calibrate LG OLED's, so the information is relevant to a point. But I do think that for those with a 5nm spectro, the D-Nice provided alternate white point should be considered the go-to coordinates unless someone is willing to do the experiment properly themselves. I did, and while some may think that it was a pointless and expensive exercise, I see it as a learning experience, and I now have reference equipment for myself to use going forward.

The "they were drunk" comments in the past were obviously made tongue in cheek, nobody really thinks that. D-Nice has explained how those coordinates came about, they matched to a different display technology. Everyone else is matching to plasma.
D-Nice and Make73 like this.

LG OLED65C9MLB**Denon AVR-X3500H**Focal Sib Evo Atmos 5.1.2**Sky Q UHD**Xbox One X**Panasonic DP-UB820**ATV 4K
Klein K10-A**Jeti 1501**i1D3 OEM**ColourSpace HTX**LightSpace HTP**CalMAN Home for LG**DVDO AVLab TPG**HD Fury Integral 2
post #7302 of 7821 Old 04-18-2020, 02:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by liberator72 View Post
This wasn't directed at you specifically, but you do see some changing on a daily/weekly basis and it isn't the way to do things. It takes time for your brain to adjust and you need to view known content that you are familiar with to see how it looks to you. The main benefit (IMO) to using the AWP is that it takes that reddish look out of skin tones making everything look more natural.

It's not really off topic in the sense that people are using CalMAN to calibrate LG OLED's, so the information is relevant to a point. But I do think that for those with a 5nm spectro, the D-Nice provided alternate white point should be considered the go-to coordinates unless someone is willing to do the experiment properly themselves. I did, and while some may think that it was a pointless and expensive exercise, I see it as a learning experience, and I now have reference equipment for myself to use going forward.

The "they were drunk" comments in the past were obviously made tongue in cheek, nobody really thinks that. D-Nice has explained how those coordinates came about, they matched to a different display technology. Everyone else is matching to plasma.
I also have an i1pro2, was the difference with your new spectro perceivable? If so what was the difference between the 2 correcting white?

post #7303 of 7821 Old 04-18-2020, 02:39 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I also have an i1pro2, was the difference with your new spectro perceivable? If so what was the difference between the 2 correcting white?

Yes and no. The AWP achieved with just the i1Pro2 worked in a sense that it definitely removes the red tint in skin tones, but if you compare i1Pro2 white to Jeti white, you can see a difference. The i1Pro2 reads white differently compared to the Jeti, but it reads primary colours very accurately compared to the Jeti. As it has been discussed at length in another thread I'd rather not regurgitate the same conversation over and over so I'll leave a screenshot here with the corresponding coordinates of the two probes reading the exact same patch at the exact same time.

I cannot add anything further to the discussion beyond this, I've done all the tests I can and I no longer have the i1Pro2. So it's entirely up to you if you use this information or not. What I can say is that at least 4 other people I am in regular contact with have used this and are are very happy with the end results.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Jeti vs i1 Pro2.PNG
Views:	65
Size:	2.8 KB
ID:	2711882  
Toto84 likes this.

post #7304 of 7821 Old 04-18-2020, 02:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 221 Post(s)
Quoted: 6202 Post(s)
Liked: 9023
Quote:
You're in luck, because @liberator72 has already posted about it >here<, giving full details of his process at every stage, and the results.

HTH
Toto84 likes this.

HDMI 2.0 4K modes | Dolby & DTS core+outer audio tracks on (UHD) Blu-Rays | Hello to Jason Isaacs
post #7305 of 7821 Old 04-18-2020, 04:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrtickleuk View Post
You're in luck, because @liberator72 has already posted about it >here<, giving full details of his process at every stage, and the results.

HTH
Thanks guys, honesty you are so helpful.

mrtickleuk likes this.
post #7306 of 7821 Old 04-19-2020, 07:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 224 Post(s)
Quoted: 5751 Post(s)
Liked: 3843
I'm so confused.... I went to start Calman and it said I had to let windows configure Calman, once I was in it said it couldn't load the last workflow used. Then I noticed CCFL was selected for my meter and I went to select my meter profile and it was gone. It's like I'm starting over from scratch. All my settings are gone too!

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
2018 Sony LCD Master Series Calibration Thread
Sony XBR-75Z9F, Vizio M50-E1, Pioneer Kuro 5020, Marantz SR6013, AppleTV-4K, XBox One & (X), NVIDIA SHIELD.v1, FireTV 4K-HDR, HDHR Connects, QNAP 431+
post #7307 of 7821 Old 04-19-2020, 07:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 1497 Post(s)
Liked: 1586
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoman94 View Post
I'm so confused.... I went to start Calman and it said I had to let windows configure Calman, once I was in it said it couldn't load the last workflow used. Then I noticed CCFL was selected for my meter and I went to select my meter profile and it was gone. It's like I'm starting over from scratch. All my settings are gone too!

Did you update CalMAN? It may have written and linked to new, empty CalMAN directories. I've seen something similar at times. One way to fix it is to find the original directories, if they weren't deleted, copy the original files, and paste them into the new directories.

...Royce...

"I never drink...wine."
Bela Lugosi, DRACULA, 1931

Last edited by Rolls-Royce; 04-19-2020 at 07:59 PM.
post #7308 of 7821 Old 04-19-2020, 08:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolls-Royce View Post
Did you update CalMAN? It may have written and linked to new, empty CalMAN directories. I've seen something similar at times. One way to fix it is to find the original directories, if they weren't deleted, copy the original files, and paste them into the new directories.
I haven't touched Calman in s few months. I didn't update it. I don't get it.

Edit, I don't see the options for the reports any longer either. Just a blank drop-down with no options.

Sony XBR-75Z9F, Vizio M50-E1, Pioneer Kuro 5020, Marantz SR6013, AppleTV-4K, XBox One & (X), NVIDIA SHIELD.v1, FireTV 4K-HDR, HDHR Connects, QNAP 431+

Last edited by shoman94; 04-19-2020 at 09:04 PM.
post #7309 of 7821 Old 04-19-2020, 09:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1195 Post(s)
Liked: 762
Quote:

Edit, I don't see the options for the reports any longer either. Just a blank drop-down with no options.

I just started my workflow with no problems, latest CalMAN Enthusiast and Win 10 64 updates. Which CalMAN / Win versions are you running?

---------------------------------------
Samsung 75Q9FN, Pioneer UDP-LX500, Outlaw 975, Sony TA-N9000ES
i!Display Plus, VideoForge Pro, CalMAN Home Enthusiast, Win 10 Pro x64 2004
HT Enthusiast Extended Custom WF v22.0.0 - 1/8/2020
HT Enthusiast Essentials Custom WF v1.2.0 - 7/5/2019
post #7310 of 7821 Old 04-19-2020, 09:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 1497 Post(s)
Liked: 1586
Quote:

There has also been an issue with a recent Windows 10 update losing stuff if you were running a particular Windows drive management scheme (I don't remember its name right now, sorry). That was some time ago, but you may have fallen afoul of it.

...Royce...

"I never drink...wine."
Bela Lugosi, DRACULA, 1931
post #7311 of 7821 Old 04-19-2020, 09:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolls-Royce View Post
There has also been an issue with a recent Windows 10 update losing stuff if you were running a particular Windows drive management scheme (I don't remember its name right now, sorry). That was some time ago, but you may have fallen afoul of it.
It appears that way. I couldn't even repair the install. I had to uninstall and reinstall. Oh well. I made a new profile and moved forward.

post #7312 of 7821 Old 04-19-2020, 09:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherDude View Post
I just started my workflow with no problems, latest CalMAN Enthusiast and Win 10 64 updates. Which CalMAN / Win versions are you running?
I'm on 1909 but I have been since May of last year. OS build is 18363.778. I'm on the latest Calman Enthusiast. I don't know, maybe I screwed something up myself unknowingly.

Edit, I'm installing Win10 version 2004 now

Last edited by shoman94; 04-19-2020 at 09:53 PM.
post #7313 of 7821 Old 04-20-2020, 09:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I'm on 1909 but I have been since May of last year. OS build is 18363.778. I'm on the latest Calman Enthusiast. I don't know, maybe I screwed something up myself unknowingly.

Edit, I'm installing Win10 version 2004 now

Very weird, we're on the same Windows and CalMAN. My Windows is on an SSD, booting as UEFI. I installed 778 a few days ago, no problems.

post #7314 of 7821 Old 04-20-2020, 09:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Very weird, we're on the same Windows and CalMAN. My Windows is on an SSD, booting as UEFI. I installed 778 a few days ago, no problems.
Yea I uninstalled Calman and reinstalled it but my home report still doesn't work.

post #7315 of 7821 Old 04-20-2020, 09:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Yea I uninstalled Calman and reinstalled it but my home report still doesn't work.

I gave up on Enthusiast reports and make images of pertinent layouts from my workflow :-)
shoman94 and mrtickleuk like this.

post #7316 of 7821 Old 04-20-2020, 11:06 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 282 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked: 2559
Quote:

What isn’t working?

Tyler Pruitt - Technical Evangelist - Portrait Displays/Calman
post #7317 of 7821 Old 04-20-2020, 11:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I gave up on Enthusiast reports and make images of pertinent layouts from my workflow :-)
Yea I don't do this for a living, just a personal hobby so its no big deal I guess.

Last edited by shoman94; 04-20-2020 at 11:44 AM.
post #7318 of 7821 Old 04-20-2020, 11:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiFi-Spy View Post
What isn’t working?
At the end of a calibration when I select to view the report the options are just blank. IDK, it's no biggie. I just had to start over for whatever reason. All my settings and custom workflows are gone. I did some cleaning and probably had removed the folder in error that had all my info.

post #7319 of 7821 Old 04-20-2020, 11:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
At the end of a calibration when I select to view the report the options are just blank. IDK, it's no biggie. I just had to start over for whatever reason. All my settings and custom workflows are gone. I did some cleaning and probably had removed the folder in error that had all my info.
I always have copies of my custom workflows in a folder not in the Windows volume but in a separate data drive. Sounds like the CalMAN install was completely reset for some reason.
shoman94 likes this.

post #7320 of 7821 Old 04-28-2020, 10:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 221 Post(s)
Quoted: 6202 Post(s)
Liked: 9023
The beta email for Calman 2020 has arrived for me today.

Very pleased to see this, as it used to be incredibly frustrating!

"Resolved Issues
3D LUT no longer displays the white pattern when dialog box is on screen"

@WiFi-Spy , you have an email with a suggestion for the meter profiling workflow.
WiFi-Spy, rdk914 and Toto84 like this.

HDMI 2.0 4K modes | Dolby & DTS core+outer audio tracks on (UHD) Blu-Rays | Hello to Jason Isaacs

Last edited by mrtickleuk; 04-28-2020 at 11:01 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Display Calibration

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page