CalMan 5 Release Notes and Discussion - Page 254 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2405Likes

post #7591 of 7660 Old 05-21-2020, 09:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3015 Post(s)
Liked: 1745
Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Nice View Post
Normal as the DDC reset put the panel in native mode with a 10K grayscale. You need to leave Brightness and Contrast at their defaults before and after the DDC reset as that keeps the display in “bypass mode” for autocal to function properly.
So changing brightness from 50 to 54 after autocal is normal?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7592 of 7660 Old 05-21-2020, 10:03 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 171 Post(s)
Quoted: 2605 Post(s)
Liked: 4732
Quote:
Originally Posted by skschatzman View Post
So changing brightness from 50 to 54 after autocal is normal?
You should not have to change anything. Leave Contrast at 85 and Brightness at 50 before and after the calibration.
post #7593 of 7660 Old 05-21-2020, 10:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
You should not have to change anything.
When I perform the DDC reset the brightness visible shifts and crushes. Autocal doesn't fix it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7594 of 7660 Old 05-21-2020, 10:07 AM

Quote:
When I perform the DDC reset the brightness visible shifts and crushes.
This is not the same as your Vizio. Leave Contrast and Brightness at their defaults pre and post calibration if you are going to use AutoCal. It is required, not optional.
mrtickleuk likes this.
post #7595 of 7660 Old 05-21-2020, 10:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
This is not the same as your Vizio. Leave Contrast and Brightness at their defaults pre and post calibration if you are going to use AutoCal. It is required, not optional.
Huh? Autocal doesn't fix the crushed blacks when I leave it at default. You are saying this is normal? I don't see how this is normal because I can see the crushed shadow detail with all content if I do not raise brightness to 54 after autocal is completed.
post #7596 of 7660 Old 05-21-2020, 10:13 AM

^^^ I’m not going to say what is supposed to be done with autocal again. You can either follow the direction provided, get someone else to tell you the same thing, or figure it out on your own. Sorry, but this is where I get off the train.
Cam1977 and mrtickleuk like this.
post #7597 of 7660 Old 05-21-2020, 10:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
^^^ I’m not going to say what is supposed to be done with autocal again. You can either follow the direction provided, get someone else to tell you the same thing, or figure it out on your own. Sorry, but this is where I get off the train.
Prior to DDC reset the brightness pattern shows the default of 50 is correct. Flashing Lines 17 and up are visible. Shadow detail in content is visible.

When a DDC reset is performed with brightness at the default of 50. I can visibly see the shadow detail crush. Bars 19 and lower become invisible.

Then after performing autocal with brightness left at default of 50 the shadow detail remains crushed. Bars 19 and lower are still not visible.

Watching content I can visibly see all shadow detail is lost being merged with black. Is this normal? Everything I have learned about calibration tells me this is not normal.

I don't require you to repeat what you already said. I'm only looking for answers to the questions I asked.

Last edited by skschatzman; 05-21-2020 at 03:26 PM.
post #7598 of 7660 Old 05-21-2020, 12:45 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 125
OLED panels take fairly large number of hours to gain sensitivity to the lowest input signals. You have the tools to repeat the calibration after about 200 hours of normal use. (not test patterns) At that time, most of us see low signal sensitivity improve. If is not up to your standards at that time, you may still be in your return window.

LeRoy

b.t.w. D-Nice is a reliable source, best to listen to him carefully.

LG OLED65C8PUA, Onkyo TX-RZ920, Panasonic DP-UB820, Apple TV 4K, Amazon Fire TV Stick 4K, AT&T Gigabit Internet & U-verse
post #7599 of 7660 Old 05-21-2020, 12:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeRoyK View Post
OLED panels take fairly large number of hours to gain sensitivity to the lowest input signals. You have the tools to repeat the calibration after about 200 hours of normal use. (not test patterns) At that time, most of us see low signal sensitivity improve. If is not up to your standards at that time, you may still be in your return window.

LeRoy

b.t.w. D-Nice is a reliable source, best to listen to him carefully.
Maybe I'm not explaining things clearly.

The native picture modes uncalibrated out of the box new setup without any modifications.... Phew. Is not crushing blacks. Shadow detail is perfectly visible as is shown by a brightness test pattern. 200 hours will not make this look any better.

Are we on the same page?

Now when I go to calibrate my TV with autocal the instructions state to leave settings at default when performing a DDC reset. A DDC reset is required to perform an autocalibration. The act of performing this step immediately deteriorates the shadow detail performance of the TV.

We good so far?

Following the rest of the instructions perfectly. Completing the autocal without changing any settings does not remedy the shadow detail lost from performing the DDC reset. My only 2 options at this point is to raise the brightness manually to 54 or factory resetting the picture mode to the defaults. Resetting to default should not be an improvement over a properly calibrated TV, but yet in this case it is.

The information I'm giving does not indicate a panel aging/breaking in issue. It's either an issue with the TV, Calman or both. Brightness and Contrast are not being adjusted by the autocal after being broken from the DDC reset.

D-Nice didn't answer my question and gave me redundant information while implying I wasn't following the directions when in fact I was.

Last edited by skschatzman; 05-21-2020 at 03:27 PM.
post #7600 of 7660 Old 05-21-2020, 01:33 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
D-Nice didn't answer my question and gave me redundant information while implying I wasn't following the directions when in fact I was.
You do understand that nobody is required to answer your questions. After reading your comments regarding D-Nice's attempts to help you, I can't imagine others will be lining up to do so.

LG 55" C9, Samsung 51" F8500, Samsung 42" MU7000
i1 Display Pro (Retail) RevB (profiled to Jeti for C9), Calman Home for LG
post #7601 of 7660 Old 05-21-2020, 01:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdk914 View Post
You do understand that nobody is required to answer your questions. After reading your comments regarding D-Nice's attempts to help you, I can't imagine others will be lining up to do so.
I never stated anyone was required to answer my questions. I willingly help many people with useful information on these threads without any expectations in return.
Please explain how D-Nice attempted to help me? He didn't answer my questions and gave me redundant advice. I don't know about you, but if I walk into a conversation and don't understand what happened, the last thing I would do is give my 2 cents that is redundant to the subject at hand. Help is useful, not redundant.

Last edited by skschatzman; 05-21-2020 at 03:32 PM.
post #7602 of 7660 Old 05-21-2020, 03:30 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
I never stated anyone was required to answer my questions. Please explain how D-Nice attempted to help me? He didn't answer my questions and gave me redundant advice. I don't know about you, but if I walk into a conversation and don't understand what happened, the last thing I would do is give my 2 cents that is redundant to the subject at hand. Help is useful, not redundant. I willingly help many people with useful information on these threads without any expectations in return.
Wow, I don’t understand the responses here. This certainly seems like an issue if the Calman Autocal process produces black crush where as the factory defaults do not. skschatzman was merely asking why this was happening and provided a clue that raising the brightness level to 54 appeared to “fix” the issue. They were wondering if this was something that should need to happen or an obvious clue something was wrong. Nobody seems to be answering that question and repeatedly staying, “please don’t change the value from 50,” doesn’t help since leaving it at 50 produces an incorrect result.

I do agree the value should definitely be left at 50 during an automated calibration. The brightness value likely isn’t “the problem” but just a clue demonstrating that black crush is occurring.
spongebob and skschatzman like this.

Last edited by fusion23; 05-21-2020 at 03:36 PM. Reason: Added emoji, more explanation
post #7603 of 7660 Old 05-21-2020, 03:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion23 View Post
Wow, I don’t understand the responses here.
I don't understand it either.
Quote:
Nobody seems to be answering that question and repeatedly saying, “please don’t change the value from 50,” doesn’t help since leaving it at 50 produces an incorrect result.
I'm glad someone finally understands what I'm saying. Was beginning to think I was getting dementia. Still waiting for Tyler to respond. I may also try calling Portrait/LG tech support.

Last edited by skschatzman; 05-21-2020 at 04:09 PM.
post #7604 of 7660 Old 05-21-2020, 04:07 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 275 Post(s)
Quoted: 1908 Post(s)
Liked: 2500
Quote:
Thanks. I don't understand it either. Still waiting for Tyler to respond. I may also try calling Portrait/LG tech support.

We have not seen any reports of this behavior on the 2020 CX. Which firmware version is the TV running?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tyler Pruitt - Technical Evangelist - for Calman
post #7605 of 7660 Old 05-21-2020, 04:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wifi-spy View Post
we have not seen any reports of this behavior on the 2020 cx. Which firmware version is the tv running?
Firmware 03.00.60 lg-oled65cxpua

I can't count how many times I've been the first to discover new issues in all kinds of tech. I swear I'm being stalked by gremlins.

I'm down for any suggestions you may have.

Last edited by skschatzman; 05-21-2020 at 04:40 PM.
post #7606 of 7660 Old 05-21-2020, 05:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 655 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:
Maybe I'm not explaining things clearly.

The native picture modes uncalibrated out of the box new setup without any modifications.... Phew. Is not crushing blacks. Shadow detail is perfectly visible as is shown by a brightness test pattern. 200 hours will not make this look any better.

Are we on the same page?

Now when I go to calibrate my TV with autocal the instructions state to leave settings at default when performing a DDC reset. A DDC reset is required to perform an autocalibration. The act of performing this step immediately deteriorates the shadow detail performance of the TV.

We good so far?

Following the rest of the instructions perfectly. Completing the autocal without changing any settings does not remedy the shadow detail lost from performing the DDC reset. My only 2 options at this point is to raise the brightness manually to 54 or factory resetting the picture mode to the defaults. Resetting to default should not be an improvement over a properly calibrated TV, but yet in this case it is.

The information I'm giving does not indicate a panel aging/breaking in issue. It's either an issue with the TV, Calman or both. Brightness and Contrast are not being adjusted by the autocal after being broken from the DDC reset.

What happens if you do a PM reset, not a complete factory reset?

bob
post #7607 of 7660 Old 05-21-2020, 05:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
My only 2 options at this point is to raise the brightness manually to 54 or factory resetting the picture mode to the defaults. Resetting to default should not be an improvement over a properly calibrated TV, but yet in this case it is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by spongebob View Post
What happens if you do a PM reset, not a complete factory reset?
Resetting the picture mode returns it to it's factory settings. The crushed blacks issue goes away, but also removes the required changes by the DDC reset. Performing another DDC reset brings the issue back. It's a back and forth game with no end.

Tyler is having a look at it and will keep us posted. I'll just enjoy the stock settings for now. The TV looks amazing. I was fortunate with no detectable uniformity issues. Hope I don't have to replace it.
post #7608 of 7660 Old 05-21-2020, 08:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 224 Post(s)
Quoted: 5737 Post(s)
Liked: 3833
Wow tough room. @jrref Do you have any insight?

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
2018 Sony LCD Master Series Calibration Thread
Sony XBR-75Z9F, Vizio M50-E1, Pioneer Kuro 5020, Marantz SR6013, AppleTV-4K, XBox One & (X), NVIDIA SHIELD.v1, FireTV 4K-HDR, HDHR Connects, QNAP 431+
post #7609 of 7660 Old 05-21-2020, 08:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 655 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:
Resetting the picture mode returns it to it's factory settings. The crushed blacks issue goes away, but also removes the required changes by the DDC reset. Performing another DDC reset brings the issue back. It's a back and forth game with no end.

Tyler is having a look at it and will keep us posted. I'll just enjoy the stock settings for now. The TV looks amazing. I was fortunate with no detectable uniformity issues. Hope I don't have to replace it.
So you are checking brightness after DDC reset in the middle of a calibration? Why? That pust the set in an abnormal state, right?

bob
mrtickleuk likes this.
post #7610 of 7660 Old 05-21-2020, 09:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spongebob View Post
So you are checking brightness after DDC reset in the middle of a calibration? Why? That pust the set in an abnormal state, right?
Not exactly. The first and second time I performed a calibration I did not insert a check stop. After the calibration was completed is when I starting using verifying methods. One of those methods is checking the Brightness and Contrast accuracy. This is when I discovered the issue. Then I backtracked my steps to find out when this first occurs. Checking after performing a DDC reset was one of those steps and where I discovered the cause of the issue.

Last edited by skschatzman; 05-21-2020 at 09:45 PM.
post #7611 of 7660 Old 05-22-2020, 06:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 229 Post(s)
Quoted: 5241 Post(s)
Liked: 6437
Quote:

I've not seen this yet. I know you did a pixel refresh correct? This usually fixes and or improves this problem but what you are describing is something where the 1DLUT many not be loading correctly and again i've not seen this. Let's see what Tyler comes back with.
shoman94 likes this.

John
Sony 55A1E, A9F, LG CX
Marantz 7012, Ohm Walsh Speakers
Klein K10-A, Jeti 1501, Murideo Six-G Gen2
Calman Ultimate, LightSpace Pro, ISF Level III Certified
post #7612 of 7660 Old 05-22-2020, 06:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrref View Post
I know you did a pixel refresh correct?
Yes. At first I thought it helped, but after further testing found it didn't.
post #7613 of 7660 Old 05-23-2020, 05:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Update: SDR crushed blacks autocal issue.
Tyler reached out to me to confirm my findings that LG was able to reproduce. SDR auto-calibration(at least for my model. lg-oled65cxpua/FW:03.00.60) is not viable for now. The good news though is HDR-10 and DV auto-calibration worked flawlessly. I verified my results with mascior test patterns.

Tyler says more information will come after the holiday weekend.
spongebob and shoman94 like this.

Last edited by skschatzman; 05-23-2020 at 06:17 AM.
post #7614 of 7660 Old 05-23-2020, 09:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Update: SDR crushed blacks autocal issue.
Tyler reached out to me to confirm my findings that LG was able to reproduce. SDR auto-calibration(at least for my model. lg-oled65cxpua/FW:03.00.60) is not viable for now. The good news though is HDR-10 and DV auto-calibration worked flawlessly. I verified my results with mascior test patterns.

Tyler says more information will come after the holiday weekend.
Imagine that..... Glad they confirmed and will fix the issue.

Sony XBR-75Z9F, Vizio M50-E1, Pioneer Kuro 5020, Marantz SR6013, AppleTV-4K, XBox One & (X), NVIDIA SHIELD.v1, FireTV 4K-HDR, HDHR Connects, QNAP 431+
post #7615 of 7660 Old 05-24-2020, 03:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Quoted: 6088 Post(s)
Liked: 8819
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoman94 View Post
Imagine that..... Glad they confirmed and will fix the issue.
I can imagine it, but don't hold your breath. We all hope it'll be fixed but remember, we've around this loop before .
Make73 likes this.

HDMI 2.0 4K modes | Dolby & DTS core+outer audio tracks on (UHD) Blu-Rays | Hello to Jason Isaacs
post #7616 of 7660 Old 05-24-2020, 05:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrtickleuk View Post
I can imagine it, but don't hold your breath. We all hope it'll be fixed but remember, we've around this loop before .
If they, LG and PD, were able to reproduce the issue, why would you be negative that they wouldn't fix it? Send to be a major issue for anyone owning a CX.

post #7617 of 7660 Old 05-24-2020, 06:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Here is my take on this problem.
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/139-d...l#post59699734

John
Sony 55A1E, A9F, LG CX
post #7618 of 7660 Old 05-24-2020, 06:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Quoted: 6088 Post(s)
Liked: 8819
Quote:
If they, LG and PD, were able to reproduce the issue, why would you be negative that they wouldn't fix it?
I know you're not new, so I'm surprised you need to ask. Experience over the last two years with similar pledges in the past. Also I was not negative, I was BALANCED. That's why I said "We all hope it'll be fixed".

HDMI 2.0 4K modes | Dolby & DTS core+outer audio tracks on (UHD) Blu-Rays | Hello to Jason Isaacs
post #7619 of 7660 Old 05-24-2020, 07:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrtickleuk View Post
I know you're not new, so I'm surprised you need to ask. Experience over the last two years with similar pledges in the past. Also I was not negative, I was BALANCED. That's why I said "We all hope it'll be fixed".
Every problem I have experienced was fixed. Some have taken time but it was fixed. That's my experience.

post #7620 of 7660 Old 05-24-2020, 07:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Every problem I have experienced was fixed. Some have taken time but it was fixed. That's my experience.

I have to jump in here.
So if it's a CM related problem then i agree, they fix most or all of the bugs eventually. But if it's something to do with the TV then we need to wait for the manufacturer to fix the problem on their end and that doesn't always happen.

My personal take on this is, and i have no "inside" information, i think some of the problems we see like the slightly raised blacks in HDR that you need to see a with jeweler's loupe might not be easily fixable without messing up the totally of near black processing on the older sets which is why we might not be seeing a fix. You always have to weight benefit vs risk when making a change.

John
Sony 55A1E, A9F, LG CX
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Display Calibration

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page