LightSpace 3D LUT Home Cinema Calibration Software - Page 67 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1103Likes

post #1981 of 2392 Old 02-24-2019, 03:08 PM
aka jfinnie

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2645 Post(s)
Liked: 1744
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlKlammer View Post
I probably won't be the first, as long as I keep hearing 'hopefully soon' from my dealer. It seems not even JVC Germany has a clue when those units are going to arrive.

Besides this little delivery issue, I plan to do some things differently with the NX9.
For SDR, I hope the native gamut results in a usable LUT without being forced to use a profile with DCI filter.
And for HDR the reference profile is hopefully good enough for a working P3-LUT. If not, I'm generating a user defined profile with DCI filter based on measured white, max. blue and max. red from the native gamut and max. green from reference profile. I guess that RGB separation will be fairly good this way, because I already tried this with the X9500.
I will leave the conversion for BT.2020 to the Radiance and use Intensity Mapping.
Please let us know how you get on. I've seen some published charts show measure slightly under REC709 and some slightly over, so fingers crossed for you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1982 of 2392 Old 02-24-2019, 09:57 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Steve,

Could you pls recommend consumer based displays that based on your experience is linear, has good enough RGB separation and that would interact very well to Lightspace/ColourSpace to be able to build good 3D LUTs?

At least for me this would be something that I would strongly consider as my next display. If possible, pls advise in both fixed panel display and front projection as this would be helpful.

Thanks

Sent from my ALP-L29 using Tapatalk
Manni01, bobof and omarank like this.
post #1983 of 2392 Old 02-25-2019, 03:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 780 Post(s)
Liked: 1146
The problem with recommending any consumer display is the manufacturers change display components without warning, so any display we test could very well be very different to the same model you end up buying.

However, there are some simple rules of thumb.

Any display with 4 colours is going to be non-additive, and will have gamut/saturation issue as the brightness increases.

That is basically any consumer OLED, as all are WRGB.

That means all will fail with HDR.

And they are by nature unstable, as Miki says.

But, they can be very good for SDR imagery.

However, modern LCDs, such a QLED, and MicroLED are looking very good.

And with backlight per pixel technology moving into the mainstream, there are some serious options coming to market.

Another thing to look out for is any dispaly that offers six axis colour controls - CMY, in addition to RGB.

No viable display should ever require independent secondary colour control, and those that have it means the manufacturer knows they have colour issues, and are trying to provide controls to let you, the user, play with things that really should not be played with at a simple Gain/Bias control level.

Such displays are most often also non-additive by default.

But unfortunately, you really have to run your own tests to see what any given display is actually capable of...

Steve

Steve Shaw
LIGHT ILLUSION

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1984 of 2392 Old 02-25-2019, 04:08 AM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Light Illusion View Post
The problem with recommending any consumer display is the manufacturers change display components without warning, so any display we test could very well be very different to the same model you end up buying.

However, there are some simple rules of thumb.

Any display with 4 colours is going to be non-additive, and will have gamut/saturation issue as the brightness increases.

That is basically any consumer OLED, as all are WRGB.

That means all will fail with HDR.

And they are by nature unstable, as Miki says.

But, they can be very good for SDR imagery.

However, modern LCDs, such a QLED, and MicroLED are looking very good.

And with backlight per pixel technology moving into the mainstream, there are some serious options coming to market.

Another thing to look out for is any dispaly that offers six axis colour controls - CMY, in addition to RGB.

No viable display should ever require independent secondary colour control, and those that have it means the manufacturer knows they have colour issues, and are trying to provide controls to let you, the user, play with things that really should not be played with at a simple Gain/Bias control level.

Such displays are most often also non-additive by default.

But unfortunately, you really have to run your own tests to see what any given display is actually capable of...

Steve
Panasonic has secondary color controls and they have the most accurate colors on consumer displays. So there is no Tv which we could buy. 😉

Panasonic OLED55FZW 804
i1 Display Pro OEM 2018 profiled by Jeti 1501
i1 Pro 2, DVDo AVLab TPG, HD Fury Integral
Oppo UDP203
post #1985 of 2392 Old 02-25-2019, 04:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

There is always one that proves the rule by breaking it...

So, I will re-word to say 'those displays that have 6 colour controls, and you find it necessary to use the CMY controls in any way...'

Steve
Gordon Fraser likes this.

Steve Shaw
LIGHT ILLUSION

Last edited by Light Illusion; 02-25-2019 at 07:20 AM.
post #1986 of 2392 Old 03-02-2019, 08:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 332 Post(s)
Quoted: 5461 Post(s)
Liked: 5673
@bobof

I'm not sure that it applies to your model, but as I was validating my calibration settings/workflow with the rs2000 I've noticed something that might be relevant to your issue (and possibly others).

When setting my HTPC to RGB 8bits, the gamut measures in a very linear way (whether the filter is enabled or not) and I can get a near perfect calibration in less than 10 minutes with a 101 point Lightning LUT applied to an SDR DCI-P3 baseline (around 97% of P3 cover), as already reported.

If I switch to 12bits, after having checked the levels, the gamut becomes severely non-linear and can't be corrected as easily. It would need a much larger LUT to get near-reference calibration. In order to get the same linear gamut in 12bits, you need to send a BT2020 flag to the JVC in order for it to deliver the native/linear gamut. This applies even if you select a DCI-P3 color profile (there is one in the RS2000, it would be Reference in older models).

I have found a bug in the rs2000 (reported to JVC) that forces YCC422 internally (which is why levels might need to be adjusted) when RGB 12bits is selected, even at 23p (so without any bandwidth limitation at play), but I don't think this is connected.

If you have no way to force a BT2020 flag in your SDR HDMI metadata (madVR has a special setting in the calibration tab for this, so it's easy to do with madTPG), it might be worth trying to set your display to 8bits and see if your wide gamut is more linear that way.

This of course doesn't explain why Lightspace can't deal with such a non-linear baseline, the way DisplayCAL does, but it might help you to get better results from Lightspace. I will definitely make sure this is the case when I need a larger LUT to calibrate my rs2000.

It might be the combination of undersaturation and non-linearity that leads Lightspace to struggle to find a good, artifact-free compromise.

I always thought it was more related to undersaturation than linearity, because my rec-709 baseline on the rs500 was using the filter and covered 100% of P3. It wasn't very linear due to the use of the filter (though I'm wondering if sending the BT2020 flag might have improved that as it does on the rs2000), but Lightspace had no issue to create a very good LUT for it.

Of course if you're already using 8bits, or if this doesn't apply to your model, then simply ignore this

I still plan to post measurements here to show that all the talk about the JVCs being "unfit for purpose" is complete nonsense coming from a lack of knowledge and experience of these projectors, but as I don't need a larger LUT yet with the rs2000 due to its excellent linearity out of the box, it will have to wait...
mikela, venkatesh_m and bobof like this.

Batch Utility V4.02 May 16 2019 to automate measurements files for madVR with support for BD Folders

Last edited by Manni01; 03-02-2019 at 08:06 AM.
post #1987 of 2392 Old 03-02-2019, 08:22 AM
aka jfinnie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manni01 View Post
@bobof

I'm not sure that it applies to your model, but as I was validating my calibration settings/workflow with the rs2000 I've noticed something that might be relevant to your issue (and possibly others).

When setting my HTPC to RGB 8bits, the gamut measures in a very linear way (whether the filter is enabled or not) and I can get a near perfect calibration in less than 10 minutes with a 101 point Lightning LUT applied to an SDR DCI-P3 baseline (around 97% of P3 cover), as already reported.

If I switch to 12bits, after having checked the levels, the gamut becomes severely non-linear and can't be corrected as easily. It would need a much larger LUT to get near-reference calibration. In order to get the same linear gamut in 12bits, you need to send a BT2020 flag to the JVC in order for it to deliver the native/linear gamut. This applies even if you select a DCI-P3 color profile (there is one in the RS2000, it would be Reference in older models).

I have found a bug in the rs2000 (reported to JVC) that forces YCC422 internally (which is why levels might need to be adjusted) when RGB 12bits is selected, even at 23p (so without any bandwidth limitation at play), but I don't think this is connected.

If you have no way to force a BT2020 flag in your SDR HDMI metadata (madVR has a special setting in the calibration tab for this, so it's easy to do with madTPG), it might be worth trying to set your display to 8bits and see if your wide gamut is more linear that way.
It's interesting data, I might have a play next time the meters are out. I can do pretty much what I want with the HDR flag as the Lumagen allows you to customise what happens with it.

For now the filter on + profile off tweak seems to stick for me, and while everything is getting the 3DLUT treatment I don't need the projector to look good with non-3DLUT content so it's a reasonable solution. I usually have the Lumagen outputting YCrCb422 12bit because if I want to do 60p HDR 8 bit isn't really up to scratch (especially if you're throwing away some bits thanks to the LUT).

As you say though, it would be nice if LS could do a better job with these units as is.
mikela likes this.
post #1988 of 2392 Old 03-02-2019, 08:31 AM
aka jfinnie

Quote:
It might be the combination of undersaturation and non-linearity that leads Lightspace to struggle to find a good, artifact-free compromise.
From some tests I did with very small profiles (so it was very easy to see what was happening) it really does just seem to be the presence of points at the gamut edge in the profile mapping different input values to same output colours that trips up the LS algorithms. It just can't handle when the display gamut is smaller than target and the way the display deals with this is effectively what a 3D LUT would do anyway, tracking as far as it can and then clipping at the gamut edge.

Of course, having said that it might be that the change you did changes the clipping behaviour and perhaps they don't all end up stacked on top of each other.

I will have a look when I next get to it because I do prefer to start with something that isn't as wildly wrong (completely unwatchable) as profile off filter on.
post #1989 of 2392 Old 03-02-2019, 09:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobof View Post
It's interesting data, I might have a play next time the meters are out. I can do pretty much what I want with the HDR flag as the Lumagen allows you to customise what happens with it.

For now the filter on + profile off tweak seems to stick for me, and while everything is getting the 3DLUT treatment I don't need the projector to look good with non-3DLUT content so it's a reasonable solution. I usually have the Lumagen outputting YCrCb422 12bit because if I want to do 60p HDR 8 bit isn't really up to scratch (especially if you're throwing away some bits thanks to the LUT).

As you say though, it would be nice if LS could do a better job with these units as is.
Note that I'm not taking about the HDR flag but about the BT2020 flag, that is sent in the SDR HDMI metadata. Assuming you had an SDR DCI-P3 or BT2020 calibration baseline for HDR to SDR tonemapping, what you want is the JVC reporting BT2020 in the info screen, not HDR.

I don't use HDR or LUTs with HDR, so I can't comment on that. My notes above were related to an SDR WCG calibration to provide a calibrated baseline for dynamic tonemapping.

Batch Utility V4.02 May 16 2019 to automate measurements files for madVR with support for BD Folders
post #1990 of 2392 Old 03-02-2019, 09:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
From some tests I did with very small profiles (so it was very easy to see what was happening) it really does just seem to be the presence of points at the gamut edge in the profile mapping different input values to same output colours that trips up the LS algorithms. It just can't handle when the display gamut is smaller than target and the way the display deals with this is effectively what a 3D LUT would do anyway, tracking as far as it can and then clipping at the gamut edge.

Of course, having said that it might be that the change you did changes the clipping behaviour and perhaps they don't all end up stacked on top of each other.

I will have a look when I next get to it because I do prefer to start with something that isn't as wildly wrong (completely unwatchable) as profile off filter on.
Yes, this is my observation as well, I'm only saying that the better linearity might help LS to find a better compromise when the gamut is undersaturated. As I said it has no issue if the gamut meets the target.

post #1991 of 2392 Old 03-02-2019, 09:48 AM
aka jfinnie

Quote:
Note that I'm not taking about the HDR flag but about the BT2020 flag, that is sent in the SDR HDMI metadata. Assuming you had an SDR DCI-P3 or BT2020 calibration baseline for HDR to SDR tonemapping, what you want is the JVC reporting BT2020 in the info screen, not HDR.

I don't use HDR or LUTs with HDR, so I can't comment on that. My notes above were related to an SDR WCG calibration to provide a calibrated baseline for dynamic tonemapping.
OK, got it. You can do that as well (set the output to be SDR2020). I'll do a little profile in SDR2020 vs SDR709 output when I get a sec.
Out of interest, on the N7 do you see it report 2020 in the info screen if you do that?
post #1992 of 2392 Old 03-02-2019, 09:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
OK, got it. You can do that as well (set the output to be SDR2020). I'll do a little profile in SDR2020 vs SDR709 output when I get a sec.
Out of interest, on the N7 do you see it report 2020 in the info screen if you do that?
Yes, I mentioned it in my post above (the one you quoted)

It looks like in 12bits, you need the BT2020 flag to be enabled to get the native/linear gamut (that you get with a factory color profile, I'm not talking about profile off that is unusable/non-linear).
In 8bits, this isn't necessary and the profiles are linear both in rec-709 and BT2020/P3.
Again, no idea if this applies to other models, but I thought I'd share this.
bobof likes this.

post #1993 of 2392 Old 03-02-2019, 10:20 AM
aka jfinnie

Quote:
D'oh!
Manni01 likes this.
post #1994 of 2392 Old 03-02-2019, 01:52 PM
aka jfinnie

Quote:

It looks like in 12bits, you need the BT2020 flag to be enabled to get the native/linear gamut (that you get with a factory color profile, I'm not talking about profile off that is unusable/non-linear).
In 8bits, this isn't necessary and the profiles are linear both in rec-709 and BT2020/P3.
Again, no idea if this applies to other models, but I thought I'd share this.
I did a quick 10^3 profile of DCIP3F with SDR2020 tagged input to the projector (422) confirmed via the info screen. Still makes crazy looking LUTs. WAS worth a try, anyhow.
The Lumagen can only output 8 bit RGB as far as I can tell, and in RGB output mode there is no text in the colorimetry field displayed on the X7900. Not sure what that means really (if anything). I never use RGB out on the Lumagen as it's not especially recommended.
Manni01 likes this.
post #1995 of 2392 Old 03-02-2019, 02:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I did a quick 10^3 profile of DCIP3F with SDR2020 tagged input to the projector (422) confirmed via the info screen. Still makes crazy looking LUTs. WAS worth a try, anyhow.
The Lumagen can only output 8 bit RGB as far as I can tell, and in RGB output mode there is no text in the colorimetry field displayed on the X7900. Not sure what that means really (if anything). I never use RGB out on the Lumagen as it's not especially recommended.
Without looking at the LUT, can confirm if enabling BT2020 gives you a more linear baseline or not? That’s the main difference I see here. With the gamut tracking in a linear way, I can get near reference results with just a 101 point LUT. Without, no way. It might be specific to RGB (with madVR, it’s the opposite of Lumagen, you want RGB for best results), and again it might only apply to the new models.
bobof likes this.

post #1996 of 2392 Old 03-02-2019, 04:42 PM
aka jfinnie

Quote:
Without looking at the LUT, can confirm if enabling BT2020 gives you a more linear baseline or not? That’s the main difference I see here. With the gamut tracking in a linear way, I can get near reference results with just a 101 point LUT. Without, no way. It might be specific to RGB (with madVR, it’s the opposite of Lumagen, you want RGB for best results), and again it might only apply to the new models.
I made a 10^3 profile in each of 709 and 2020 output from the Lumagen TPG.

I can't work out any easy way to compare the profiles for linearity in LS - you can only compare in a roundabout way by generating a LUT self-relative to it's own gamut, and you can't easily overlay the saturation targets on the CIE diagram. Hopefully Colourspace will add the ability to compare two profiles to each other (and not just a profile to a colourspace). Will it be possible to compare two profiles with the same points in them @Light Illusion ?

So for an experiment I compared them using ArgyllCMS from the command line, which was pretty cool. "ls2ti3.exe <profile>" command can convert the LS profiles to Argyll data files, and then colverify can do text based dE analysis and optionally generate histograms and (most excitingly) a 3D vector view of the differences (attached). I did "colverify.exe -v 2 -N -k -w -h histogram.txt 709sdr.ti3 2020sdr.ti3 > compare.txt" to generate histogram, text list of dEs and a 3D gamut vector view.

Anyway, it doesn't look like there is much difference on my X7900 for 2020 vs 709 input in 422 12 bit. The dE histogram looks well within measurement errors and drift considering each profile took close to an hour to run. They have been normalised to the peak white but even so there is still drift during the profile that I'm not sure gets taken into account (I don't think colverify uses the drift data from LS). You can see what the dE2000 distribution looks for the 1000 patches, doesn't look like there is significant difference between these two profiles.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2019-03-03 at 00.24.13.png
Views:	388
Size:	127.8 KB
ID:	2533490   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2019-03-03 at 00.20.54.png
Views:	388
Size:	44.4 KB
ID:	2533492  
Attached Files
File Type: zip compare.zip (356.5 KB, 4 views)
Manni01 and omarank like this.
post #1997 of 2392 Old 03-11-2019, 01:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 207 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3256 Post(s)
Liked: 4050
LightSpace CMS 10.0.0.2914 (11 March 2019) has been released.

Notes:

All licenses will need to be reset, so factor into any upgrade schedule!

After installation the License will need to be Registered via ‘Help -> License’.

See there for more info: https://www.lightillusion.com/upgrades_licenses.html

Release Notes (changes compared to latest official release):

Large re-write to maintain as much future ColourSpace compatibility as possible.

Added Remote Control and Secondary Execution capabilities.

Convert Colour Space LUT processing speed improvements.

Changed X-Rite's i1Display PRO RGB OLED EDR to newer version, added also EDR for WRGB OLED.

Added LUT export for DeviceControl LG integration

Adjusted ICtCp reported values to use Dolby’s newly specified multiplier for dEITP. (The graphs use relative dE2000 scaling to enable comparative viewing)

Updated Eizo Eizo SDK integration.

Updated madVR dll.

Release Info:

The Remote Control and Secondary Execution capabilities are very powerful tools - and those with coding skills will really understand.

The Remote Control allows external programs to control LightSpace, and for LightSpace to send data to these programs.

It means that can written calibration tools based on using LightSpace for measuring and patch generation, etc. ...so users can develop their own programs, that use LightSpace to do profiling, etc...

For example for performing DDC AutoCAL.

The Secondary Execution enables LightSpace data to be used in an external program.

Download Link: https://www.lightillusion.com/downloads.html

Note: All LightSpace related guides which are available online has been updated to reflect changes the latest released version of LightSpace introduced.
Manni01, DrFaxe, sat4all and 1 others like this.

Ted's LightSpace CMS Calibration Disk Free Version for Free Calibration Software: LightSpace DPS / CalMAN ColorChecker / HCFR
S/W: LightSpace CMS, SpaceMan ICC, SpaceMatch DCM, CalMAN 5, CalMAN RGB, ChromaPure, ControlCAL
V/P: eeColor 3D LUT Box - P/G: DVDO AVLab TPG
Meters: JETI Specbos 1211, Klein K-10A, i1PRO2, i1PRO, SpectraCAL C6, i1D3, C5

Last edited by ConnecTEDDD; 04-18-2019 at 11:17 AM.
post #1998 of 2392 Old 03-12-2019, 01:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

For 'developers' out there, the new Remote Control option, combined with Secondary Execution, is a very powerful new addition to LightSpace, and enables third party programs to take control of LightSpace, and perform functions such as setting patch colours and taking probe measurements, and well as sending measurement data to third party programs for additional functions not native within LightSpace to be performed.

For Remote Control functionality PDF documentation can be provided on request that defines the protocol used.

Secondary Execution enables a remote program to be executed, with data provided during a standard LightSpace profiling or measurement process.

An example .bat file can be provided on request.

For either the Remote Control PDF documents, or the Secondary Execution .bat file example, please let me know your interest.
([email protected])

Steve
carpantata and bobof like this.

Steve Shaw
LIGHT ILLUSION

post #1999 of 2392 Old 03-13-2019, 08:45 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 128
Hi,
In the new LightSpace release 10.0.0.2915 Steve and his team have hidden a small "easter egg" that is interesting for professional calibrators as well as for private LightSpace users if they want to calibrate Sony home cinema projectors without external processor or HTPC.

It is an export function to create a 1-D LUT file for the "Sony ImageDirector".

The "Sony ImageDirector" is a powerful gamma equalizer for Sony projectors, whose capabilities are often not used, because the corrections of the gamma curves take a lot of time.
Therefore, it makes sense to simplify the job of setting and to use the "ImageDirector" only as an interface for reading corrected gamma curves in the projector.

The advantage of the "ImageDirector" over the somewhat more comfortable "Sony Calibration Pro" program is that it can handle 1024 positions with 10-bit resolution. In addition, the "ImageDirector" is freely accessible to everyone and approved for use with Sony projectors.

This method is particularly suitable for improving the gamma curve and the RGB balance of older projectors whose LCOS panels and lamps have some wear (drift). Since a pure gamma correction is not enough, but the RGB values must be regulated separately. The gain and offset controls are often too coarse and the mutual influence too much.

This is where LightSpace's Color Engine comes in. LightSpace calculates a 3-D LUT based on a measurement and extracts a 1-D LUT from it. This LUT is stored with the "ImageDirector" on a gamma memory space of the projector and corrects the gamma curve to the desired value and optimizes the RGB balance.

Important note: The 1-D LUT can not change the color space.

In principle, the same preparations have to be made before the profile measurement as with other measurements with LightSpace. These are extensively described on the website of Light Illusion.

In practice, the following steps have to be done:
1. If a change / improvement of the color space is necessary, this must be done manually with feeling.
2. Contrast, Brightness, Gain and Offset etc. are manually adjusted as well as possible
3. All image enhancers should be disabled
3. For the measurement, the projector should be set to "Gamma = OFF".
4. LightSpace does a "grayscale and color" measurement
5. Based on the measurement performed, calculate a LUT with the desired parameters.
6. This LUT is exported as an "ImageDirector" file.
7. With the "ImageDirector" the file is loaded into the projector.

It has been shown that the measurement of large profiles brings no advantage.
The results are not as perfect as with a LightSpace 3-D LUT stored on a Radiance Pro, but nobody should expect that either and you can ease the calibration work with it.

Here is an example from practice:
The following graphics are from a Sony projector that has the typical gamma drift, but not as high at minus 0.1.
Measured is therefore 2.1 instead of 2.2, but now the gamma is not quite "straight".
In addition, the RGB balance has suffered somewhat because Blue believes that it has to go its own way. A slight correction with the
normal gain and offset controls have already been done here.
Likewise, the colors within the color space - here BT709 - have slipped a bit from the desired positions. To recognize well in red and blue.

With this projector a measurement with 21 gray levels and the 3 primaries was made.
Then, with LightSpace, a LUT calculation was performed and the result exported to a file for the "Sony ImageDirector".
With the ImageDirector the original Gamma 2.2 curve was overwritten with the corrected one.

Here is the result of the control measurement.
Gamma and RGB balance are ok again and also the colors within the color space have found their right place.

I hope you understood me and the Google translator.

Peter

PS:
The pictures are not from LightSpace, so Steve sees how much we all look forward to ColorSpace.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Before.jpg
Views:	294
Size:	70.7 KB
ID:	2538418   Click image for larger version

Name:	After.jpg
Views:	305
Size:	65.8 KB
ID:	2538420   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sony_LUT-Export.jpg
Views:	297
Size:	35.8 KB
ID:	2538444  
T( )( )L, Manni01, wl1 and 2 others like this.

S/W: LightSpace CMS, Calman 5, HCFR, Colorfacts
V/P: Lumagen Radiance Pro, DVDO AVlab TPG
Meters: JETI Spectraval 1501, Klein K-10A, I1Pro2, I1D3
post #2000 of 2392 Old 03-18-2019, 02:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrc4u View Post
hmm...i've been on calman enthusiast for many years....now i dont know what to do...
i need software that support lumagen lut and projectors... damn calman!..
Lumagen is easy to use with LightSpace, see there a guide. If you ask Lumagen, they always recommend LightSpace as the best choice:

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/139-d...l#post55190708

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/139-d...l#post55185280

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/139-d...l#post43295818

Quote:
Originally Posted by p5browne View Post
Lightspace, tried, and I guess I'm just to dumb to figure it out, and appears to be a lot of work to set up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hrc4u View Post
thinking change to chromapure due to recent calman changes....took a look at lightspace..but..hmm seems more complicated..
Hey guys,

LightSpace has complete instructions/documentation; up-to-date to cover the latest public release of the software here, any feature/setting is explained well.

You can download the free LightSpace DPS and check it out these areas:

1) File -> Upload: Select your active external pattern generator and change it's settings.

External pattern generators are not supported by the free LightSpace DPS license, but you can use LightSpace Connect (trial, with limitation of patch generation, for grayscale calibration it will be fine) with FireStick for example, which is bit-perfect in RGB-Video (16-235) output.

The accuracy results have been posted there. (while is not bit-perfect with CalMAN and MobileForge as you can see)

For PGenerator/Rasberry Pi users, it can be used fully with LightSpace DPS (without LightSpace Connect) for bit perfect RGB-Video (16-235) or RGB-Full (0-255) or RGB-Video Expanded (16-255) patch generation. Adding an HDR10 metadata injection device to the output of PGenerator, you can have a bit-perfect HDR10 RGB-Video pattern generation.

You can configure PGenerator @ Network Manager window:

2) Tools -> Discovaeable Probe: untick the virtual meter and tick your active meter.

3) Tools -> Calibration -> Calibration Interface -> Options: Set your meter settings, create meter correction tables, set patch scale for pattern generator if required (For PGenerator for example, set patch scale min 16 and max 235, to get bit-perfect RGB-Video pattern generation)

All settings there are not available for all meters, when you connect a meter, some of the settings are disabled, it has to do with the connect meter features.

To see what settings are adjustable per each meter and what each setting is doing, you can select your hardware from there, and you will see explained each setting.

For i1Display PRO users with OLED for example, a quick setting recommendation is to use:

AIO Meter Sync Mode: The latest generation of i1Display PRO (Rev.B) (OEM/Retail) it features a new refresh rate detection and synchronization AIO (All in One) measurement mode which can improve the measurement stability for certain displays and provide lower reading times. For people familiar with CalMAN the X-Rite's AIO mode of i1Display PRO Rev.B meters is not available from CalMAN, since CalMAN is not using X-Rite SDK to operate the instruments.

0.75sec integration time: meter exposure period of time.

Extra delay 0.5 sec: delay of software with pattern displayed before each meter read.

Intelligent Integrator 1: When one measurement is below 1 nits, the i1Display PRO will perform a second, third, fourth, etc. reading, with increasing integration times, up to the maximum integration time of 6 seconds. The readings will stop as soon as a stable and valid reading is achieved. If no valid and stable reading is achieved a 'zero' value will be returned, enabling LightSpace to intelligently calculate a replacement value when generating a calibration LUT.

Stabilization 0.75 sec: With OLED's there strange shiftings and weird luminance changes from thermal changes to the pixels of the pattern area so to help the panel cool down, the Patch Stabilisation Insertion feature works well.

The main idea is to add black frames displayed for x.xx sec. time between each other colorpatch (for example 750ms of black patch) but there capability to select any color (any RGB triplet). For OLED RGB Triplet 0.0.0 (Black) or 26.26.26 (10% Gray) will work fine.

For using 10% Gray as stabilization frame (instead of Black), to add that custom color, click at custom then tick the first custom color white box and enter 26.26.26, then click to add to custom colors and then select it and press OK.

4) Tools -> Calibration -> Calibration Interface: Take pre/post calibration measurements or manual measurements. (Quick Profile of primary only is enough to check before starting 3D LUT measurements.)

Quick Profile Window has some other measurements options also, for example:

Primary Only: 21-Point Grayscale + 20-Point of Luminance with 100% Saturation of Primary colors (RGB)

Primary & Secondary: 21-Point Grayscale + 20-Point of Luminance with 100% Saturation of Primary+Secondary colors (RGBCMY).

Gamut Sweep 100%: 21-Grayscale + 5-Point Saturation sweep with 100% Luminance.

Gamut Sweep 75%: 21-Grayscale + 5-Point Saturation sweep with 75% Luminance.

Memory Colors: Grayscale + ColorChecker Classic

Grayscale Large: 33-Point Grayscale.

5) Tools -> Calibration -> Display Characterization: Use it to take measurements for display profiling....17-point cube etc... (This is not working in Free DPS version of LightSpace.)

6) Tools -> ColorSpace -> ColorSpace Manager: There are saved all your measurements. (LightSpace DPS don't save measurements).

7) Tools -> ColorSpace - Convert ColorSpace: Here you perform the 3D LUT correction generation. (It's not working with DPS). You select @ Source your target Colorspace (for example REC.709) and at Destination you select your cube measurement file (one 17-Point cube measurement file for example)...When you click to 'Create New', it's generating the correction in 2-5 seconds only. From one measurement run you can generate as many corrections you like, for example with different gamma values or other colorspace etc.

8) Upload the 3D LUT: After the correction is created you only upload it to your 3D LUT hardware (using File - Upload for Lumagen/madVR) or export it to a file (for eeColor), or export LG format for 2018 OLED's etc.).

New LightSpace users will also get a free upgrade to ColourSpace, when its been released, and no LightIllusion software has annual fees for updates, until the end of life of each product.

LG 2018 1D/3D LUT upload tutorial/instructions will be posted this week.
Manni01, sat4all, W3Rman and 2 others like this.

Ted's LightSpace CMS Calibration Disk Free Version for Free Calibration Software: LightSpace DPS / CalMAN ColorChecker / HCFR
S/W: LightSpace CMS, SpaceMan ICC, SpaceMatch DCM, CalMAN 5, CalMAN RGB, ChromaPure, ControlCAL
post #2001 of 2392 Old 03-18-2019, 09:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConnecTEDDD View Post
For i1Display PRO users with OLED for example, a quick setting recommendation is to use:
Latest LightSpace release is including a spectral correction file (X-Rite EDR file format) for LG OLED WRGB panel users, since its been used an FSI post-production WRGB OLED for that EDR file generation (which is equipped with LG WRGB panel).

That WRGB OLED EDR spectral table is not available to i1Display PRO users of other commercial software (CalMAN/ChromaPure) solutions.

OLED EDR file which is available for i1Display PRO users of CalMAN is useful for RGB OLED Sony post-broadcast displays only.

post #2002 of 2392 Old 03-20-2019, 05:19 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 433 Post(s)
Liked: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by OMARDRIS View Post
Hi,
In the new LightSpace release 10.0.0.2915 Steve and his team have hidden a small "easter egg" that is interesting for professional calibrators as well as for private LightSpace users if they want to calibrate Sony home cinema projectors without external processor or HTPC.

It is an export function to create a 1-D LUT file for the "Sony ImageDirector".
Thanks for pointing this out. I used it last night to create and test a quick BT2390 curve and it produced a curve smoother and superior to what I had done manually using Image Director. The ability to directly import the ID file is a real advantage! Also thanks to LI for this functionality.
post #2003 of 2392 Old 03-20-2019, 08:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jqmn View Post
Thanks for pointing this out. I used it last night to create and test a quick BT2390 curve and it produced a curve smoother and superior to what I had done manually using Image Director. The ability to directly import the ID file is a real advantage! Also thanks to LI for this functionality.
Thanks for your comments - the team appreciate it!

Steve

Steve Shaw
LIGHT ILLUSION

post #2004 of 2392 Old 03-21-2019, 11:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

LightSpace CMS 10.0.0.2922 (21 March 2019) has been released.

Release Notes (incremental changes):

Added JVC Autocal 1D LUT format (for projectors).

Add Sony ImageDirector 1D LUT format (for projectors).

Added ‘Secondary Execution’ example Batch File.

Corrected error in Java App Calibration Client.

Note: All LightSpace related guides which are available online has been updated to reflect changes the latest released version of LightSpace introduced.
Manni01 likes this.

post #2005 of 2392 Old 03-21-2019, 12:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Added JVC Autocal 1D LUT format (for projectors).

Added ‘Secondary Execution’ example Batch File.

Corrected error in Java App Calibration Client.

Thanks, looking forward to testing the JVC autocal 1D LUT format

post #2006 of 2392 Old 03-21-2019, 03:23 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 210 Post(s)
Liked: 153
Quote:

What level of licence do you need for this?

New Home Cinema: Sony VPL-VW760, Anthem MRX 1120, Q Acoustics 30x0 series speakers fronts, SVS Prime Elevation surround speakers, Proficient C791 Atmos, SVS PB2000 sub, Panasonic DMP-UB820, Apple TV, Pioneer CLD-D5V laserdisc, FetchTV, eeColor 3D LUT & Radiance XD-3D and ScreenTechnics CinemaSnap Hi Contrast 130" screen
post #2007 of 2392 Old 03-21-2019, 03:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vollans View Post
What level of licence do you need for this?
Hi, LightSpace HTL or HTP, so both Home Cinema Levels.
vollans likes this.

post #2008 of 2392 Old 03-22-2019, 04:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

There are some issues with the JVC Autocal 1D LUT.

It has 10bit 3 channel RGB 1D LUTs of 13 steps, with 0% locked to ‘0’, and 100% locked to 1023.
Having 100% locked means white can never be corrected.

Also, there is a real issue with the format, due to the way the points are spaced in 10bit, meaning there is always a distortion in the curve.

This can be seen by exporting a Null/Unity LUT (File/New) from LightSpace in the JVC format, and plotting in excel.
Or just bring back into LightSpace after exporting.
You will see it cannot actually define a unity LUT correctly.

Steve
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	JVC.png
Views:	222
Size:	11.8 KB
ID:	2542708  

Steve Shaw
LIGHT ILLUSION

post #2009 of 2392 Old 03-22-2019, 05:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Light Illusion View Post
There are some issues with the JVC Autocal 1D LUT.

It has 10bit 3 channel RGB 1D LUTs of 13 steps, with 0% locked to ‘0’, and 100% locked to 1023.
Having 100% locked means white can never be corrected.

Also, there is a real issue with the format, due to the way the points are spaced in 10bit, meaning there is always a distortion in the curve.

This can be seen by exporting a Null/Unity LUT (File/New) from LightSpace in the JVC format, and plotting in excel.
Or just bring back into LightSpace after exporting.
You will see it cannot actually define a unity LUT correctly.

Steve
The impossibility to correct 100% white is well-known, that's why it is recommended to set 100% white to D65 manually if only using a gamma Autocal, otherwise it's uncorrectable. Usually, with the Autocal software, this is set with the color autocal, which deals with the gamut and white point. The 1D LUT isn't meant to adjust the white point.

By the way, the actual data is 256 steps, so you must be doing something wrong if you only use 13. 13 is through the interface, it's not the full-res data available for the actual custom curve when not using the JVC Autocal interface, which is limited. You need to make the difference between the limited low-res text file format used to import/export to/from the JVC Autocal software, and the 256 steps available internally by software that use the full resolution (such as the Arve's curve utility or the JVC Autocal itself). This means direct control of the JVC with IP though, it can't be done through the low-res file format.

Shame if you can't do it with Lightspace, the Autocal itself works fine (though it worked better in previous models following my limited testing on the rs2000).

Which JVC Model and Autocal version have you used for this test?

Well I guess it saves me testing this new feature in Ligthspace then

It would have been nice to see if it could provide better results thanks to using a better meter for gamma (such as the Discus trained to the i1pro2 instead of the Spyder 5 in my case).

Last edited by Manni01; 03-22-2019 at 05:08 AM.
post #2010 of 2392 Old 03-22-2019, 05:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

We have implemented the LUT format based on the data we have been provided.
If there is data that shows/defines the LUT as being 256 steps we have not been provided it.

We have requested assistance from JVC (multiple times) and have received nothing in return.

Steve

Steve Shaw
LIGHT ILLUSION

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Display Calibration

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page