AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 333 Post(s)
Liked: 245
Quote:
Originally Posted by atcscm7 View Post
Hello avsforum

I am having a problem creating a 3dlut for my JVC HD750. Im running the latest version of Argyllcms and dispcalgui (1.8.2 & 3.0.4.2) I have also tried earlier versions with no success.

When attempting calibration in my batcave environment dispcalgui/Argyllcms always error out on patch 11(total black patch) with the following error:

Any ideas whats going on here? Any and all help greatly appreciated.
Seems like an odd one. Maybe it is a Rev B thing, since I don't recall coming across this behaviour with my Rev A. How repeatable is it ? - i.e. if you use spotread and place the instrument on something flat and black, does it fail this way every time ?
atcscm7 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3902 of 5181 Old 09-16-2015, 11:16 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwgill View Post
Seems like an odd one. Maybe it is a Rev B thing, since I don't recall coming across this behaviour with my Rev A. How repeatable is it ? - i.e. if you use spotread and place the instrument on something flat and black, does it fail this way every time ?
Using spotread it does fail everytime in the same way, taking 10 seconds to produce the error.

Thank you.
post #3903 of 5181 Old 09-17-2015, 12:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Using spotread it does fail everytime in the same way, taking 10 seconds to produce the error.
Assuming you're using MSWin, try these versions of the tools, and see if they work around the problem. If not, try running spotread with -D8 and capturing the debug output from stderr, and post it again.
atcscm7 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3904 of 5181 Old 09-17-2015, 10:33 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwgill View Post
Assuming you're using MSWin, try these versions of the tools, and see if they work around the problem. If not, try running spotread with -D8 and capturing the debug output from stderr, and post it again.
The updated tools have solved the problem. Thank you very much Graeme, Superb!

Last edited by atcscm7; 09-17-2015 at 01:48 PM.
post #3905 of 5181 Old 09-17-2015, 04:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
The updated tools have solved the problem.
Great - I'll make sure the workaround is included in the next ArgyllCMS release.
atcscm7 and bsod like this.
post #3906 of 5181 Old 09-21-2015, 03:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1304 Post(s)
Liked: 761
Just a quick note to say I've never been so confident and happy with ability to calibrate my projector which is a big deal for me.

I have been doing my own projector setup starting with CRT FP in 1999 and slowly I have improved my hardware and software used for calibration.

Now I use HCFR with i1d3 (corrected using i1pro) to get a ruler flat and balanced grey scale and leave all other settings of my projector at defaults. (I'm very lucky because using panel drivers and bias and gains I can get the response to be very flat.)

After I use displayCAL with the i1d3 (again corrected by i1pro) do make a 3DLUT using MadVR TPG.

It's easier and better than ever ... which is quite something.

-Brian
jhughy2010 likes this.
post #3907 of 5181 Old 09-24-2015, 12:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 906 Post(s)
Liked: 288
I'm running into some difficulties partly because the guide is older than the newest version of DispcalGUI. I just have a few quick questions:

Quote:
Originally Posted by N3W813 View Post

B. Create MadVR compatible 3DLUT from ArgyllCMS tools
1. Start MadVR Test Pattern Generator
  1. Open madTPG.exe from the MadVR install folder
  2. Enable "use fullscreen"
  3. Enable "disable VideoLuts"
  4. Enable "disable 3dlut"
Is the aforementioned still necessary?

Quote:
3. Set the following settings in DispcalGUI[LIST=1][*]Select 'madVR' under Settings[*]Select 'madVR' for Display device[*]Select 'Rec. 1886' for Tone curve[*]Disable Black point compensation and Smooth B2A tables. Enable Low quality B2A tables.[*]Click on 'File' on the toolbar, select 'Edit testchart...'[*]Use the options in the testchart screenshot below for a basic 2000 patch set. (You can adjust the pattern set parameters based on your display response behavior)[*]Click 'Create testchart', click 'Save as...' and save the pattern set to a location, then click on 'Select' when prompted to use the created testchart.[*]Click 'Calibrate & profile' button. The duration of the process will depend on the speed of your meter.
Selecting Rec.1886 sets the the settings back to default. Should I leave Tone Curve alone (default)?

I cannot find Smooth B2A tables and Low Quality B2A tables.

Do I still need to edit the test chart? Why can I not just increase the slidder?

What does it mean to adjust the parameters based on display response behavior? I'm practicing right now on my laptop screen before attempting this on my main living room theater LCD TV.

Quote:
4. After the process is complete, go to Tools in the menu bar and select 'Create 3D LUT...'
Is this still a necessary step? I looks like "create 3dlut after profiling" is already checked.

Quote:
5. Set the following settings for Create 3D LUT tool[LIST=1][*]Select 'madVR (.3dlut)' for 3D LUT file format[*]For Source profile file, browse to the Rec709.icm file from the 'ref' sub-directory in the program path of ArgyllCMS[*]For Target profile file, browse to the .icm file created from the profile process[*]Enable 'Apply calibration (vcgt)'[*]Enable 'Apply BT.1886 gamma mapping' and select '2.4 Absolute'[*]Select 'Absolute colorimetic with white point scaling' for Rendering intent[*]Click on 'Create 3D LUT...' button[*]Provide the filename and location to save the 3DLUT
Again, forgive my ignorance but I'm having a hard time here. Is it because this is outdated? Isn't this tab already checked to run?

Quote:
C. Apply the 3DLUT file in MadVR[LIST=1][*]Play any video file in a media player with MadVR set as the video renderer[*]Right-click the MadVR tray icon and select 'Edit madVR Settings...'[*]Expand your display device under the devices node[*]Select 'calibration' menu[*]Select 'calibrate this display by using an external 3DLUT file'[*]Check 'disable GPU gamma ramps'[*]For the BT.709 field, click the browse icon and select the 3DLUT.3dlut file generated
When I entered this it appeared that the 3Dlut was already loaded. So I shouldn't have to browse for it correct? Also, what does "disable GPU gamma ramps" do? Is it still necessary to disable?

Thanks for all your hard work in making this guide. Is there an updated guide somewhere that I should try?

Also, doesn't running through the test supply a profile that Windows can use for desktop? I'm noticing the same results in HCFR before and after profiling (unless I check use madTPG).

On a side note, the CIE results look pretty good when checking use madTPG in HCFR, however, dE for all the colors during a 10 point saturation sweep are around 10dE. What also was weird is that the gray scale test was awfully brown, but it yielded an extremely low dE (like below 1dE for all 10 points). Is the unusual brown during gray scale test normal?
post #3908 of 5181 Old 09-24-2015, 01:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 572 Post(s)
Liked: 378
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhughy2010 View Post
I'm running into some difficulties partly because the guide is older than the newest version of DispcalGUI. I just have a few quick questions:[...]
The guide in the 1st post of this thread is outdated. You'll likely have an easier time following the guide in the wiki.

DisplayCAL - Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS
Current stable version 3.8.3 released 2019-07-02 | Changelog
DisplayCAL on Facebook
post #3909 of 5181 Old 09-24-2015, 02:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhoech View Post
The guide in the 1st post of this thread is outdated. You'll likely have an easier time following the guide in the wiki.
Thanks for your response. If you have the time though would you be willing to address each question? I read your guide as well... just curious if anything in this former guide reigns true still. Plus I ran into some confusion.
post #3910 of 5181 Old 09-25-2015, 06:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thanks for your response. If you have the time though would you be willing to address each question?
They don't really apply to the new workflow.
jhughy2010 likes this.

DisplayCAL on Facebook
post #3911 of 5181 Old 09-26-2015, 05:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

3dLUT had negligible results for madVR on my laptop. The resulting image was incredibly brown, however, the full check in HCFR resulted in a very accurate CIE diagram and very low average dE across the board. I'll have to post a comparison screen shot though, because the image was obviously strange in the sense that everything was awfully brownish. Even during the gray scale check in HCFR the pattern generator (madTPG) had very brown patterns.

The results on my Sharp LCD though was different. The resulting brown was not present and the resulting average dE was lower post 3dLUT loading. I couldn't tell a difference though when watching a movie with the side by side comparison activated. The CIE diagram revealed too that cyan was under-saturated post 3dLUT at the high end.
post #3912 of 5181 Old 09-26-2015, 09:36 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Dear All!
It's been a long time since I posted something but I'm still reading every new posts.
I've just finished my JVC x35 calibration with last stables versions of argyll/dispcalgui.
All was working as usual but the profil sel checj dE*76 give me a maximum of 7.21.
I checked with a large verification testchart and colorhcfr but I don't understand what's happening.
When I check on movies, it looks good but ??
Any idea?
Here are my setup and results
Thanks for your help!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Sans titre.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	175.1 KB
ID:	962969   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sans titre2.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	165.9 KB
ID:	962977   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sans titre3.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	178.2 KB
ID:	962985   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sans titre4.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	132.9 KB
ID:	962993  
Attached Files
File Type: zip X35_madVR 2015-09-26 0.3127x 0.3291y 2.4 S XYZLUT.zip (790.4 KB, 30 views)
File Type: zip HCFR.zip (7.7 KB, 64 views)

HiFi:Nad C320BEE+Marantz CD-63 MkII-Ki Signature+Boston VR2+DIY cabling
HC:Onkyo TX-SR875+Boston VR2+CR8+VRC+Subwoofer MJ Acoustic Ref1 MKII
DISPLAYS:Panasonic P50ST50E/JVC DLA-X35 + HTPC (LAV+ffdshow+Avisynth+MPC-BE+MadVr)
SCREEN: Lumene Movie Palace Premium 240C + Dedicated room
post #3913 of 5181 Old 09-26-2015, 04:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

DispcalGUI is an incredible tool... it has so much potential. But with the lack of support and very little feedback I am hesitant to contribute via donations. I find myself on the fence to head over to Calman.
post #3914 of 5181 Old 09-26-2015, 06:12 PM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
3dLUT had negligible results for madVR on my laptop. The resulting image was incredibly brown, however, the full check in HCFR resulted in a very accurate CIE diagram and very low average dE across the board. I'll have to post a comparison screen shot though, because the image was obviously strange in the sense that everything was awfully brownish. Even during the gray scale check in HCFR the pattern generator (madTPG) had very brown patterns.

The results on my Sharp LCD though was different. The resulting brown was not present and the resulting average dE was lower post 3dLUT loading. I couldn't tell a difference though when watching a movie with the side by side comparison activated. The CIE diagram revealed too that cyan was under-saturated post 3dLUT at the high end.
I have similar problem on my laptop display where the bar flash with green tint but it didn't affect the de and actual 3d lut usage.
Some older laptop panel tend to have abysmal gamut coverage, so that may be a problem.

Did you try to just use the madvr default preset in dcg? There are no reason to go through loops.

Sent from my 306SH
post #3915 of 5181 Old 09-26-2015, 06:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by baii View Post
I have similar problem on my laptop display where the bar flash with green tint but it didn't affect the de and actual 3d lut usage.
Some older laptop panel tend to have abysmal gamut coverage, so that may be a problem.

Did you try to just use the madvr default preset in dcg? There are no reason to go through loops.

Sent from my 306SH
Can you explain what it means to "go through loops"? I'll try default settings tonight.
post #3916 of 5181 Old 09-26-2015, 06:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1157 Post(s)
Liked: 423
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois76l View Post
Dear All!
It's been a long time since I posted something but I'm still reading every new posts.
I've just finished my JVC x35 calibration with last stables versions of argyll/dispcalgui.
All was working as usual but the profil sel checj dE*76 give me a maximum of 7.21.
I checked with a large verification testchart and colorhcfr but I don't understand what's happening.
Any idea?
Thanks for your help!
your measuring report isn't really bad.

your projector has a way bigger colorspace than bt 709 so try it with way more test patches next time.
the higher delta E values are at green and blue because your device can't display some of the colors.
is there a reason for your custom gamma ramp settings?
@jhughy2010

think about providing the same infos as Francois76l.

but i can do a wild guess. did you used a correction?
post #3917 of 5181 Old 09-26-2015, 06:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightyhuhn View Post
but i can do a wild guess. did you used a correction?
I'm not sure I did it right... I'm using the i1Display Pro. I clicked the "check online for..." and used the only one that was there. On my Sharp 60" there were 3 that showed up so I was reluctant and just stuck with auto.
post #3918 of 5181 Old 09-26-2015, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Can you explain what it means to "go through loops"? I'll try default settings tonight.
as in the first page instructions and all the settings~
for your sharp, probably use wled correction, what model is the laptop?
jhughy2010 likes this.
post #3919 of 5181 Old 09-26-2015, 07:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
as in the first page instructions and all the settings~
Ok got it I think I used pretty close to default (made no changes).

Quote:
for your sharp, probably use wled correction, what model is the laptop?
Ohhh I didn't know this for the Sharp. I'll look for this in DispcalGUI. I think I saw this for HCFR. I was using "none-refresh display" in HCFR (which is wrong right?)

Also, in the 3D LUT tab, what is the "3D LUT file format" supposed to be at? The reason I ask is because I've been using "madVR (.3dlut) and it limits the "input encoding" to "TV RGB 16-235". The website's screen shot however, is using "IRIDAS (.cube)" is that better as it opens up "Full range RGB 0-255" under "input encoding"?
post #3920 of 5181 Old 09-26-2015, 07:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
what model is the laptop?
MSI GE70 from late 2013.
post #3921 of 5181 Old 09-26-2015, 08:09 PM

just leave everything at default when you run it. (pick 3dlut for madvr from the dropdown preset menu)

you can use wled for both, but on the i1 display pro, there difference is should be small with or w/o correction.
post #3922 of 5181 Old 09-26-2015, 08:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1157 Post(s)
Liked: 423
Quote:
Also, in the 3D LUT tab, what is the "3D LUT file format" supposed to be at? The reason I ask is because I've been using "madVR (.3dlut) and it limits the "input encoding" to "TV RGB 16-235". The website's screen shot however, is using "IRIDAS (.cube)" is that better as it opens up "Full range RGB 0-255" under "input encoding"?
there are other system that can use a 3D LUT. madVR needs a madVR 3D LUT and it has to be 16-235 for input and output. madVR works internal this way.
post #3923 of 5181 Old 09-27-2015, 01:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightyhuhn View Post
Quote:
Dear All!
Any idea?
Thanks for your help!
your measuring report isn't really bad.

your projector has a way bigger colorspace than bt 709 so try it with way more test patches next time.
the higher delta E values are at green and blue because your device can't display some of the colors.
is there a reason for your custom gamma ramp settings?
Thanks mightyhuhn!
I always run the calibration with the largest gammut I can have on my JVC (mean gammut off). As you may know, they all have lacks in green and blue. The rec709 gammut is too small.

Concerning the tone curve in "Calibration" tab:
-Normally I used BT.1886 as in the first post.
-If I use "As measured" (with more test patches), the results are little worse (or not as good). The 1dlut calibration give me better results.
-This time I tried a linear gamma ramp 2.4 because my 3dlut are always using the same tone curve (custom gamma 2.4 black output offset 100%). So in my idea it should be the same in "Calibration" and in "3dlut" tab. No?

It's not the good way?
post #3924 of 5181 Old 09-27-2015, 06:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
-This time I tried a linear gamma ramp 2.4 because my 3dlut are always using the same tone curve (custom gamma 2.4 black output offset 100%). So in my idea it should be the same in "Calibration" and in "3dlut" tab.
That's ok.

I would also enable "White level drift compensation" for measuring a projector.

DisplayCAL on Facebook
post #3925 of 5181 Old 09-27-2015, 06:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
DispcalGUI is an incredible tool... it has so much potential. But with the lack of support and very little feedback I am hesitant to contribute via donations. I find myself on the fence to head over to Calman.
Wow. "Thanks" for not appreciating or even acknowledging the support and feedback already given I guess. If you do decide to go with Calman, I just hope you don't give them the same treatment...
Stereodude and holdemphil like this.

DisplayCAL on Facebook
post #3926 of 5181 Old 09-27-2015, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhoech View Post
Quote:
-This time I tried a linear gamma ramp 2.4 because my 3dlut are always using the same tone curve (custom gamma 2.4 black output offset 100%). So in my idea it should be the same in "Calibration" and in "3dlut" tab.
That's ok.

I would also enable "White level drift compensation" for measuring a projector.
Thanks fhoech!
And perfect support ;-)

What do you think about my last calibration on previous page? Is it ok or should I make a new one?

++
post #3927 of 5181 Old 09-27-2015, 07:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
What do you think about my last calibration on previous page? Is it ok or should I make a new one?
Some of the Rec. 709 blue/cyan/green region seems to be slightly out of gamut. I agree with mightyhuhn, the report looks alright, I have a feeling the drift compensation might lead to a slightly better overall result but I wouldn't expect a big difference, so you'll have to decide if it's worth to you to invest time for another run.

DisplayCAL on Facebook
post #3928 of 5181 Old 09-27-2015, 07:38 AM

Ok thanks fhoech, I think it's ok and I'm not sure if the difference will be visible.
Next time I will use your recommendation for the white drift compensation ;-)

I really like this new workflow of dispcalgui and the auto-optimized testchart seems to work very well.

Thanks for all your hard work. It's really incredible to have dispcalgui+Argyll for free!
post #3929 of 5181 Old 09-27-2015, 08:12 AM

But Fhoech, did you put some changes in the profil self check? Because I never had maximum dE*76 above 2.5. And now I have 7.2. It's why I was surprised.
As you said my gammut can't reach rec709 gammut (as 99% of jvc X35 projectors) but it was always like this before.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	X35_Gammut.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	137.4 KB
ID:	964170   Click image for larger version

Name:	results.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	31.0 KB
ID:	964178  

HiFi:Nad C320BEE+Marantz CD-63 MkII-Ki Signature+Boston VR2+DIY cabling
HC:Onkyo TX-SR875+Boston VR2+CR8+VRC+Subwoofer MJ Acoustic Ref1 MKII
DISPLAYS:Panasonic P50ST50E/JVC DLA-X35 + HTPC (LAV+ffdshow+Avisynth+MPC-BE+MadVr)
SCREEN: Lumene Movie Palace Premium 240C + Dedicated room
post #3930 of 5181 Old 09-27-2015, 11:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

[QUOTE=fhoech;37607490]Wow. "Thanks" for not appreciating or even acknowledging the support and feedback already given I guess.[QUOTE]

I've thanked you for every response. The point I'm trying to make is this: every time I open dispcalGUI I'm greeted with a please donate box. I'm tempted, however, I'm still not even sure I'm using it right because 1/4 of my questions are only being answered aND the supposed guide is outdated. It's not a big deal really, I'm not griping. It just makes me want to buy the product that comes with dedicated support. Take Emby for example, a free software with a forum and many developers. Every time I have a problem or question the developers jump all over to respond and ensure it gets fixed and answered. It literally causes me to donate. Customer "service" pays! Customer "inconvenience / annoyance" does not.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Display Calibration

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page